BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M6 vs DCT. What should I go with?

06-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #111
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMacJac View Post
I was convinced I was going to order the MT, until I actually drove the DCT - and I kinda liked it... although it I do wonder how long it would be before I yearned for the use of all my appendages.
Speaking from experience, for the first week your left leg is going to keep trying to push a clutch that isn't there. Then you kinda forget about it, and you'll feel like a race driver with the paddles. The uninterrupted power flow and lighting shifts are a blast.

After about 6-12 months though, you'll get a bit bored and miss having something for the right hand to do.

After a year you'll remember that you can left-foot-brake... one of the problems with the DCT is that it has a 6MT-sized brake pedal which makes this a lot more difficult due to where they hang it. On the R32, the wide brake pedal makes it easier. I had a lot of fun in that car with LFB and the paddles at track days, makes it so much easier to late-brake and snap down several gears to get the car to rotate. (R32s are nose-heavy FWD-ish pigs)

You'll always miss it though, and there will be times you long for it. I lived with a dual clutch for 7 years before going back to a 6MT car... and surprisingly I'm kind of regretting it. I think a lot of my regret stems from the vague clutch and sloppy gearbox/shifter though.

That's what's making the decision on the M2 so hard for me. I'm upset with my current 6MT, and it's hard to get enough seat time in a BMW 6MT to fully make up my mind. DCT cars are much more common, M3/M4 sit around all over the place that most dealers will let you take around the block a few times...
It can't be more than 4 bolts to swap brake pedals.... .

The M2 is a helluva lot more fun CAR than an M3/M4 ... get the MT which is also more fun unless this is a daily driver and you want an auto.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #112
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bmwdriver_ View Post
Rock beats scissors; Scissors beat paper and

3 pedals beat for 2 stupid paddles every time!

It's the difference between loving to drive vs. getting to point A from point B.
And DCT beats MT on the track every time!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #113
_bmwdriver_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _bmwdriver_ View Post
Rock beats scissors; Scissors beat paper and

3 pedals beat for 2 stupid paddles every time!

It's the difference between loving to drive vs. getting to point A from point B.
And DCT beats MT on the track every time!
Yawn
      06-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #114
kvndvs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS 6sp

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2019 BMW x3M40  [0.00]
I have seen this question a bunch of times but feel like I can now comment due to recent experience. I have a 135i with DCT (which is fore sale). I drove the 135 for three years and loved the DCT, the shifts were smooth, it was great to autoX with and I still enjoy driving the car. When I first got the 135i I would try to push the clutch in and grab for the stick shift when I got in the car. Why, I do not know I had not driven a stick regularly for 10+ years, it just felt like a small two seater sporty car should have a stick. I got over that but still missed the lack of a stick from time to time in the 135i.

Two weeks ago I drove the M2 and M3 DCT's on the track at Monticello. The DCT's were great, quick response in shifting and I can see the draw on a track when you are trying to catch the car in front of you. But I feel like I can now say with certainty that I am glad I have the 6sp. Yes the M2 DCT along with many other cars are faster than the M2 6sp but if 0-60 is a top criteria for your car choice then there are lower cost options than anything BMW makes.

I don't think either one is a wrong choice but like I said I have no regrets in getting the 6sp.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #115
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

The DCT isn't just faster 0-60. It's faster around a track, which involves a lot more than just nailing the throttle and making 2-3 shifts on the way to 60.

Still, I'm MT all the way on this car. I have another car with the paddles, and other posters have described the experience I had with it very well: starting out using the paddles and thinking "this is great," then realizing as time goes by that you are defaulting to fully automatic more and more, and further missing the driving engagement a stick offers.

Finally, just to reiterate previous posts on this subject, there ARE fixes for the mechanical complaints about the manual tranny/clutch in the M2. A UCP stiffens the pedal and shortens its throw, and a UUC or other SSK shortens the stick throw and makes engagement much more positive. I've done both those things, and the whole system is a joy to use. Should have come like this from the factory, but at least it's where it should be now.
Appreciate 1
3Si216.50
      06-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #116
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
I think it's funny that people think the M2 / M3 have a heavy or long clutch. Compared to the TTRS it's both shorter and much lighter...

Does the M2 have the dreaded "clutch delay valve" on the clutch line?
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 05:07 AM   #117
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Meh, I've been driving manuals most of my life and this talk of "connection" and "not boring" is fucking bullshit. If the most interesting thing during your drive is swapping cogs the boring thing about the drive is YOU.
Appreciate 3
ajvdh217.00
ewohar21.50
aerobat136.50
      06-04-2017, 05:28 AM   #118
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
Meh, I've been driving manuals most of my life and this talk of "connection" and "not boring" is fucking bullshit. If the most interesting thing during your drive is swapping cogs the boring thing about the drive is YOU.
I agree. What I find interesting is that BMW only charged you $450 for DCT in the 135, but now charges $2900 for essentially the same transmission.

While I feel like the DCT isn't quite as good as the VW/Audi DSG/Porsche PDK, it also has an extra gear. I feel it is the best of both worlds. You have auto when you need it, Spode mode takes care of 90% of your shifting better than you can, and you can shift whenever you want. We're at the point where humans are unable to use the full potential of higher end cars because we can't shift fast enough. DCT is the ultimate driver mod you're looking for because it's consistent, fast and fun.

I imagine my 135is DCT with Dinan S2 accelerates and responds somewhat similar to an M2 (not as precise in handling) and I would definitely get the DCT in the M2 despite the significant price increase.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 12:24 AM   #119
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I agree. What I find interesting is that BMW only charged you $450 for DCT in the 135, but now charges $2900 for essentially the same transmission.
And they charge you 15k if you need one out of warranty
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #120
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

All I know about this, is that our Heavenly Father drives a 6 mt and let's those with a 6 mt, drive through the pearly gates without having to go through the check point
Appreciate 1
BruceM984.50
      06-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #121
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
All I know about this, is that our Heavenly Father drives a 6 mt and let's those with a 6 mt, drive through the pearly gates without having to go through the check point
well, duh!!

Seriously, if you can't feel the difference in engagement between driving a car which shifts gears with a flick of a finger (or with NO effort at all), on the one hand, and driving a car that requires using both hands and feet to shift it properly, on the other, then although you may not be boring, you also may not be sentient

And that's no bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #122
pissclams
bad ***** poster _
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3, 2018 F87

The way you 6MT guys talk down to DCT's makes me think you all have some pretty small shifters.
Appreciate 6
akkando5863.00
Robin_NL8717.00
ewohar21.50
3Si216.50
F87LUV3689.00
      06-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #123
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Small, maybe, but nice and stiff like carbon fiber....
Appreciate 2
M2 CSL446.50
F87LUV3689.00
      06-05-2017, 11:54 PM   #124
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

I take it all back.

Manual can be a terrible thing

So this morning, I needed to make a delivery so I borrowed the company Hyundai van.

It was an iLoad more like iLoad of crock.

Every gear was notchy, the clutch started engaging at 1/3rd from the pedal floor and continued to slip until about 80% to the default position. Sumofabeech to use in traffic.

And who designed the human factors engineering?? Igor from Frankenstein??.. I had to droop my shoulder down to find the handbrake to pull it up at sloping stops.

Next to the missus' ZF 8 speed on the 125i M Sport, this thing is prehistoric.

To be fair, not all vans are like this. I once did a postal run in a Toyota LiteAce with the SuperLongWheelBase and the gearbox was surprisingly fun.

But that Hyundai... my gawd who let that dog out? Woof Woof Woof.

And now back to your regular programming...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 07:44 AM   #125
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Best of luck, and a long and happy, satisfying relationship to all DCT owners. I drove M2 demos on road and track and that certainly didn't do anything to discourage me from a purchase.

I collected my 6MT today having come from a manual M135i and having driven all manner of manuals over the years. And what a sweet package it is. Short throw, slick action, nice mechanical feel as each gear engages along with a light clutch, wonderfully transparent bite point and near N/A levels of crispness as the throttle engages. I suspect the rev-matching is enhancing the smoothness on up changes a touch, and I've found the car very happy to let me heal-toe on down changes and actually don't mind it helping out if I decide I'm feeling lazy.

What a superb thing the manual is. I'm so very glad I chose it. Horses for courses, each to their own and all that, but the gearbox is a real high point of the car for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 08:53 AM   #126
jdarwin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible BSM DCT

I like the fact that I can go "brain dead" while driving in traffic and not have to constantly be engaged. I can do all manner of things while sitting in traffic and not have to worry about shifting. There are times I miss rowing my own gears but the DCT is a fantastic unit. It gives me the "sensation" of shifting without using my left foot. Yes, it's expensive and may be expensive to replace should that day occur, but in the interim, I'll enjoy it. Even if I was the only buyer to opt for the DCT, I can still justify in my mind spending the $3k. Worth every penny.
Appreciate 1
3Si216.50
      06-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #127
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwin View Post
Well at this point the decision is final since the car is going into production soon.

My train of thought is the same as yours. For 4K, I would rather save that money and put it towards other mods. If it was a no cost option or even 1K, I think I would've opted for the DCT though.
Good choice and I think you'll be happy, as this is the easiest manual I have ever driven. As others have mentioned, the clutch is light, auto rev match, rev to 1k in 1st & reverse just before gear engages, hill stop......dang a beginner could drive this 6mt and not kill the car. Okay, maybe not but you get the idea.

However along with the good, it's not perfect. As some others have mentioned, shifter does feel rubbery and the gates could be better defined, but overall it's good and I think you'll be happy with your choice. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0