BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Electronics & Window Tinting

09-17-2017, 06:52 AM   #1
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Electronics & Window Tinting

Hi All,

I recently contacted a window tinter regarding getting the M2 tinted when it arrives. The fellow that I spoke with is incredibly thorough, and as he hadn't yet done an M2, he was reluctant to take on the work unless he understood all of the risks of doing so.

He sited many cases (in his experience) of inexperienced installers getting any electronics wet (in the process of tinting) that may sit under the rear parcel shelf (i.e. the shelf behind the rear seats).

Has anyone had any experience with the installation of tinting in the M2 that can comment on the location of electronics, in particular any electronics that sit on, near or under the rear parcel shelf? How difficult is it to remove the parcel shelf so that tinting can be performed?

And any general comments about the tinting process would be most appreciated.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

There are hundreds (probably thousands) of tinted M2s out there. Most of them were a first at one point.

Find a new tint guy.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
mlust
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

my M2 is tinted and no problems after, so I don't think you will have any either unless he plans on using a garden hose for water to install the tint
Appreciate 1
V.Smurf163.00
      09-28-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlust View Post
my M2 is tinted and no problems after, so I don't think you will have any either unless he plans on using a garden hose for water to install the tint
Thanks mlust - the guy that I contacted declined to do the work but he'd put in my head the idea that there could be issues with electronics and the parcel shelf, so I just wanted to canvass the issue and see if anyone had encountered a problem.

Appreciate the input!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Lol this makes no sense!
Appreciate 0