BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Best Ceramic Coating Product for Newbie

09-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
braves716
Rep
Drives: 330i e90

Best Ceramic Coating Product for Newbie

Anyone have recommendations for a ceramic coating that is easy to apply and has small probability of screwing up (if you follow the directions)? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Just ordered some GTechniq Crystal Serum Light... watched this video:

Doesn't seem that bad...I'm pretty hand with a random-orbital polisher though so I'm not worried. Will be my first time applying. More worried about the time spent doing actual paint correction and decon
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 06:35 AM   #3
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Opti Gloss Coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves716 View Post
Anyone have recommendations for a ceramic coating that is easy to apply and has small probability of screwing up (if you follow the directions)? Thanks.
Optimum makes Opti Gloss-Coat that is darn near impossible to screw up if you follow the directions.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 10:42 PM   #4
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Based on some recommendations from other members, I’m giving adams ceramic coatings a whirl. A little pricier than some, but it’s a name I trust.

http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-cera...ating-kit.html
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Based on some recommendations from other members, I’m giving adams ceramic coatings a whirl. A little pricier than some, but it’s a name I trust.

http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-cera...ating-kit.html
Sorry - who recommended Adams? I haven't seen that product recommended anywhere...not a huge fan of their products either since they re-sell and re-brand other products (or so I'm told). It's also more expensive than other options - why is that $150? I got everything needed to coat for half that cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #6
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Sorry - who recommended Adams? I haven't seen that product recommended anywhere...not a huge fan of their products either since they re-sell and re-brand other products (or so I'm told). It's also more expensive than other options - why is that $150? I got everything needed to coat for half that cost.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1424966

I haven't heard of any rebranding but a quick google search revealed this to be a myth. Your experience may vary, but I've always regarded their products as top tier. I'm not familiar with GTechniq but it looks like the $75 version is just the coating. The kit is around $115 (maybe cheaper elsewhere, didn't look too hard). Cheaper for sure but I can't speak to any direct comparisons. Let us know how you like it.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #7
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1424966

I haven't heard of any rebranding but a quick google search revealed this to be a myth. Your experience may vary, but I've always regarded their products as top tier. I'm not familiar with GTechniq but it looks like the $75 version is just the coating. The kit is around $115 (maybe cheaper elsewhere, didn't look too hard). Cheaper for sure but I can't speak to any direct comparisons. Let us know how you like it.
So far so good! Only time will tell how long it lasts and how durable it is...pretty happy with the beading...

And sorry, Adam's just strikes me as a consumer product - something Prosumers and Pros do not use. I will check out the 2Addicts thread to learn more...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #8
salmonbum
Banned
Rep

Cquartz is pretty easy if you follow instructions. Some complain ceramic coated cars have problem with water spots but I haven't seen it. However both my cquartz rides are garage queens. I just put Ammo Reflex on daily subaru. So far I really like it. By far the easiest to apply.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 10:45 PM   #9
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C dct/ e90 335d dd

My local detailer recommends Gtechniq crystal serum "black" as the top of the line best in class offering. I'll probably go with that when my m2 arrives. He also does ceramic pro.

On my e92 m3 I have OptiCoat. I've been happy with it also. Nice candy coat like gloss, and very easy to wash. Stuff doesn't stick and the car appears cleaner even when dirty.

Another detailer in my area swears by the Kamikaze coatings.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #10
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub486 View Post
My local detailer recommends Gtechniq crystal serum "black" as the top of the line best in class offering. I'll probably go with that when my m2 arrives. He also does ceramic pro.

On my e92 m3 I have OptiCoat. I've been happy with it also. Nice candy coat like gloss, and very easy to wash. Stuff doesn't stick and the car appears cleaner even when dirty.

Another detailer in my area swears by the Kamikaze coatings.
No idea what Crystal Serum "Black" is...I don't see that listed on their site: https://gtechniq.com/products/

I would make sure he's not blowing smoke...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #11
jav_au
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

gtechniq black is crystal serum with exo over the top of it. it is what I will be having done to my BSM when it arrives in around 2 weeks. no smoke being blown. the results are some of the best out there for hydrophic properties and looks.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 07:20 AM   #12
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

I would give the Nanolex SIShield a go as well into this group it's going to hold up well for 1-2 years.

On the "light"/diy version expects the compromise to be easy of use for less protection.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 10:11 PM   #13
braves716
Rep
Drives: 330i e90

Actually ended up trying Gyeon MOHS q2:

http://www.esotericcarcare.com/gyeon-mohs-pro-kit/

It was easy to apply 2 coats on a Sunday followed by a layer of Cure before work today. Once again time will tell, but the gloss was pretty striking.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #14
TampaF87
Private First Class
Rep

I have had both CQuartz Finest and Opti-Coat Pro done on numerous vehicles. Both are great, but the CQuartz had a bit more of a hydrophobic layer I feel like.

I will be doing GTechniq Crystal Serum Black probably this time around. I like to see/compare various products. My really good friend is my local go-to guy for detailing/coatings/PPF and he has graduated from Opti-coat->CQuartz->GTechniq over the years. Between him and his partner, some of the best looking paint I've ever seen on a car - hands down.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #15
TampaF87
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonbum View Post
Cquartz is pretty easy if you follow instructions. Some complain ceramic coated cars have problem with water spots but I haven't seen it. However both my cquartz rides are garage queens. I just put Ammo Reflex on daily subaru. So far I really like it. By far the easiest to apply.
Water spotting is definitely a thing with ceramic coatings, but it is usually dependent on water quality. It's recommended that you dry your car after washing to ensure that you don't get these. A blower is the best method, since it's touchless and requires very little effort, but a microfiber towel is acceptable. It is NEVER recommended to use a chamois or other method of drying.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI581.00
      10-22-2017, 10:26 PM   #16
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaF87 View Post
Water spotting is definitely a thing with ceramic coatings, but it is usually dependent on water quality. It's recommended that you dry your car after washing to ensure that you don't get these. A blower is the best method, since it's touchless and requires very little effort, but a microfiber towel is acceptable. It is NEVER recommended to use a chamois or other method of drying.
Water spotting might be a thing with ceramic coatings, but it's also a thing without... I actually found CQuartz (regular DIY version) to be better at resisting water spots than the paint on the hood of my soon to be replaced Jaguar. The paint on that hood seemed to practically melt with rain, and required some pretty serious paint correction to get rid of it. At least with a coating, you can polish off the coating pretty easily if need be, and that's better than removing significant clear coat every time!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 06:20 AM   #17
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

coatings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaF87 View Post
I have had both CQuartz Finest and Opti-Coat Pro done on numerous vehicles. Both are great, but the CQuartz had a bit more of a hydrophobic layer I feel like.

I will be doing GTechniq Crystal Serum Black probably this time around. I like to see/compare various products. My really good friend is my local go-to guy for detailing/coatings/PPF and he has graduated from Opti-coat->CQuartz->GTechniq over the years. Between him and his partner, some of the best looking paint I've ever seen on a car - hands down.
I think I know who this is. It seems that many do this over time. Lots of guys start out with Optimum, then CQuartz. Some stay right there, and then others start searching for what they feel are better options.

If it is who I think it is, you will be very happy with the results.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 07:24 AM   #18
jav_au
Private First Class
Rep

my car is being picked up Thursday and having suntek ppf to the front with gtechniq crystal serum and eco v3 on top (cs black). I will report back how it turns out
Appreciate 0