BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 5AP and 8S4 reversal for US LCI Cars

10-06-2017, 12:29 AM   #23
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Isn't BMW falsely advertising the feature then? Auto High Beam doesn't count as adaptive, and it's listed as an additional feature in the 'Executive Package' on the BMW USA website. The details do state:
This technology is combined with the Adaptive feature: at speeds up to 35 mph, the headlights swivel to follow bends in the road, based on your steering wheel motion and other metrics.
If that's true, I suppose it would count, but it's not particularly impressive. I'm pretty sure my Jaguar does that at highway speeds as well and isn't limited to 35 mph!

Is it possible that with VLD de-coded we're only getting the 'Cornering Light' in your diagram below? EU cars seem to be able to do this up to 70 km/h, which is ~ 43.4 mph?

The image you linked here clearly shows the shutter; what do we have to do to get the car to do this (if it's possible). Is that just the pattern for high beam at slow speed (stopped) up against a wall?

Since we're in a position where we're not sure of the abilities of the LCI F87, it really needs someone to perform this test after coding NGHB doesn't it. If we don't see the cut out from the shutter (or the similar LED behaviour), then we know it's not safe to code without doing an EU light retrofit - Correct?
I have not owned anything but BMW's for almost 20 years, so not the best person to discuss other manufacturer capabilities. All I know is it is a backwards 1960's or so DOT law that needs to change so full EU capabilities are unlocked from factory on our cars.

I have VLD/NGHB decoding removed on my capable cars and it is a really nice feature at all speeds. Note, you can separately remove decoding for just VLD.

The discussion gets a little complicated because different headlights utilize various technology. The G30/G12 with LED Icon lights and Night Vision camera is even capable of selective beam matrix targeting to spotlight road-side pedestrians/animals. Though, important and more relevant thing to realize is the potentially "missing component" that makes the technology work cannot simply be added. And, even complete EU housings can have other roadblocks to even ideally operating in NA vehicles.

Unfortunately, the procedure described is for Xenons. LEDs require use of ISTA+ to display stationing light pattern on wall. But, yes, that would be the safest and easiest way to determine if hardware (with appropriate coding) is capable without even hitting the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 02:40 AM   #24
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
There is more than a little bit of left-right swing on the "Adaptive" LEDs in the US.

From what I understand, the non-adaptive housings completely lack this swivel ability... but I'm also not 100% sure if any US-spec car has been delivered with non-adaptive LED yet (based on the other monster thread where people were receiving the "Adaptive" housings even though they didn't take Exec package).
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 02:50 AM   #25
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
There is more than a little bit of left-right swing on the "Adaptive" LEDs in the US.

From what I understand, the non-adaptive housings completely lack this swivel ability... but I'm also not 100% sure if any US-spec car has been delivered with non-adaptive LED yet (based on the other monster thread where people were receiving the "Adaptive" housings even though they didn't take Exec package).
I001 is non-adaptive LED.
There are also F3x's with non-adaptive LED's.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 12:34 AM   #26
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Unfortunately, the procedure described is for Xenons. LEDs require use of ISTA+ to display stationing light pattern on wall. But, yes, that would be the safest and easiest way to determine if hardware (with appropriate coding) is capable without even hitting the road.
Any clue where I might be able to obtain a copy of ISTA+ along with instructions to invoke that light pattern? I want to bring that up and check to see if the F87 LCI lights are capable of safely running NGHB; if not, we can close the book on this and try to make it more public knowledge that it shouldn't be coded on NAR-spec cars (assuming I can confirm our light pattern isn't suitable).

This assumes ISTA+ will work with a "standard" ENET cable...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 01:38 AM   #27
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Any clue where I might be able to obtain a copy of ISTA+ along with instructions to invoke that light pattern? I want to bring that up and check to see if the F87 LCI lights are capable of safely running NGHB; if not, we can close the book on this and try to make it more public knowledge that it shouldn't be coded on NAR-spec cars (assuming I can confirm our light pattern isn't suitable).

This assumes ISTA+ will work with a "standard" ENET cable...
You can obtain ISTA+ over in F30 coding section or on Bimmerfest coding subform.

No detailed instructions. Basically, you have to use basic features to trick ISTA+ into thinking car is ECE and then connect before running test.

ENET will work fine for diagnostics.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 01:50 AM   #28
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
You can obtain ISTA+ over in F30 coding section or on Bimmerfest coding subform.

No detailed instructions. Basically, you have to use basic features to trick ISTA+ into thinking car is ECE and then connect before running test.

ENET will work fine for diagnostics.
I was looking through Bimmerfest and couldn't find any obvious download links for ISTA+, but if you're saying there should be a visible link somewhere I'll go search again. (ESys and the associated things needed to use it are pretty easy to find via pinned posts/etc, but I wasn't finding ISTA+ anywhere.)

[edit]
Figures, found it just after posting.

Last edited by ZPrime; 11-05-2017 at 01:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 01:53 AM   #29
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I was looking through Bimmerfest and couldn't find any obvious download links for ISTA+, but if you're saying there should be a visible link somewhere I'll go search again. (ESys and the associated things needed to use it are pretty easy to find via pinned posts/etc, but I wasn't finding ISTA+ anywhere.)
I promise, it is there. ISTA+ is Sticky as well.

Ista+ download link - no request
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #30
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Almaretto, I have E-SYS setup now, and am feeling more confident in its abilities having done the following:
  • Recovered failed coding session with BimmerCode which lost all coding from FEM_BODY
  • Created a backup of existing NCDs, FA and SVT
  • Created a Default factory set of NCDs for my car
  • Compared all the E-SYS created factory NCDs to those from my first backup
  • Started a log and backup of coding changes and coded the things I wanted
I think it might therefore be time to move on to testing the capabilities of the LCI M2 with Adaptive LED headlights. As you mentioned previously, all of the current threads about this are related to the 3 and 4 series, which have gone through various revisions of headlight types, and it's therefore somewhat confusing as to what might be needed for us.

With all of that in mind, I'd like to test VLD first, and then potentially add NDHB. My understanding is that to enable VLD, we need only do the following two things:
  • Change FA to remove 8S4 (Variable Light Decoding)
  • Change FDL Coding for FEM_BODY to activate the feature, which, verified with E-SYS Coding Verification, requires:
  • - 3073 LaMaster1, LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y, F020_ohn_AFS = 9C 9C B0 -> F020_mit_AFS = 9C 9C 9C
  • - 3073 LaMaster1, C_AFS_ENA, F020_disable = 00 -> F020_enable = 01
I noticed in the E-SYS documentation that there are several mentions that it might not be necessary to actually load the updated FA with 8S4 removed into the car, and this might be preferred for dealer servicing. Does this mean that I can simply make the identified FDL coding changes only, and this would enable VLD?

If I do in fact need to change the FA and upload it to the car, is there anything that I need to be aware of in terms of making sure dates are correct, and is there any issue with rolling back the changes before service?

My intention at this point is to revert any and all coding changes back to stock before taking the car to a dealer for any reason. I'll then re-code as necessary when it's back. Using E-SYS this is a really quick thing to do, and gives me some piece of mind that the dealer won't flag me for playing with things.

Could you let me know if I've got everything correct here with my understanding. I can then move on to NDHB testing.

Thanks in advance.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 11:43 AM   #31
Nezil
Major
Rep

As an update. I compared the FEM_BODY and KAFAS2 FDL differences based on coding verification produced NCD files as standard (with 8S4 and 5AP) and with 8S4 and 5AP removed, and what I found was quite interesting...
  • There are no changes at all in KAFAS2.
  • There are only very minor changes in FEM_BODY:
  • - 3073 LaMaster1, LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y, F020_ohn_AFS = 9C 9C B0 -> F020_mit_AFS = 9C 9C 9C
  • - 3073 LaMaster1, C_HBA_ENA, F020_disable = 00 -> F020_enable = 01
I realise of course that this doesn't mean that our cars have the required hardware; that does require more testing; but does it mean that this is the only coding necessary to enable the feature from a software perpective?

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #32
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Almaretto, I have E-SYS setup now, and am feeling more confident in its abilities having done the following:
  • Recovered failed coding session with BimmerCode which lost all coding from FEM_BODY
  • Created a backup of existing NCDs, FA and SVT
  • Created a Default factory set of NCDs for my car
  • Compared all the E-SYS created factory NCDs to those from my first backup
  • Started a log and backup of coding changes and coded the things I wanted
I think it might therefore be time to move on to testing the capabilities of the LCI M2 with Adaptive LED headlights. As you mentioned previously, all of the current threads about this are related to the 3 and 4 series, which have gone through various revisions of headlight types, and it's therefore somewhat confusing as to what might be needed for us.

With all of that in mind, I'd like to test VLD first, and then potentially add NDHB. My understanding is that to enable VLD, we need only do the following two things:
  • Change FA to remove 8S4 (Variable Light Decoding)
  • Change FDL Coding for FEM_BODY to activate the feature, which, verified with E-SYS Coding Verification, requires:
I noticed in the E-SYS documentation that there are several mentions that it might not be necessary to actually load the updated FA with 8S4 removed into the car, and this might be preferred for dealer servicing. Does this mean that I can simply make the identified FDL coding changes only, and this would enable VLD?

If I do in fact need to change the FA and upload it to the car, is there anything that I need to be aware of in terms of making sure dates are correct, and is there any issue with rolling back the changes before service?

My intention at this point is to revert any and all coding changes back to stock before taking the car to a dealer for any reason. I'll then re-code as necessary when it's back. Using E-SYS this is a really quick thing to do, and gives me some piece of mind that the dealer won't flag me for playing with things.

Could you let me know if I've got everything correct here with my understanding. I can then move on to NDHB testing.

Thanks in advance.
You can either VO code or FDL code. You do not need to do both.

For VO Coding, you can simply load modified FA rather than following some guides that write changes to VCM.

It is up to you whether you revert back to factory before taking to dealership. Some care and others do not. Assuming software is not updated, you can easily load backups to restore coding after service.

Quote:
As an update. I compared the FEM_BODY and KAFAS2 FDL differences based on coding verification produced NCD files as standard (with 8S4 and 5AP) and with 8S4 and 5AP removed, and what I found was quite interesting...
  • There are no changes at all in KAFAS2.
  • There are only very minor changes in FEM_BODY:
  • - 3073 LaMaster1, C_HBA_ENA, F020_disable = 00 -> F020_enable = 01
I realise of course that this doesn't mean that our cars have the required hardware; that does require more testing; but does it mean that this is the only coding necessary to enable the feature from a software perpective?
I promise there are KAFAS2 changes. I would check again. I know you got all the VLD changes; I am not sure if any NGHB were missing in FEM_body.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #33
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
You can either VO code or FDL code. You do not need to do both.
If that's the case, why would I bother to do anything other than FDL coding? That's surely much easier...

Is VO coding ever necessary then?
Quote:
I promise there are KAFAS2 changes. I would check again. I know you got all the VLD changes; I am not sure if any NGHB were missing in FEM_body.
So perhaps the process that I'm going through is wrong, could you confirm this:
  • Open the original factory FA file in 'FA Editor'
  • Remove 5AP and 8S4 and apply
  • Save new modified FA
  • Open modified FA in 'Coding Verification'
  • Select original factory SVT file
  • Select a folder for the NCD-Trace
  • Perform Complete Verification
When I compare the KAFAS2 NCD files from this process to the factory NCD files there are no differences at all (besides the coding date section).

When I compare the FEM_BODY NCD files from this process to the factory NCD files, the differences I noted above are found.

Am I doing something wrong?

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #34
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If that's the case, why would I bother to do anything other than FDL coding? That's surely much easier...

Is VO coding ever necessary then?

So perhaps the process that I'm going through is wrong, could you confirm this:
  • Open the original factory FA file in 'FA Editor'
  • Remove 5AP and 8S4 and apply
  • Save new modified FA
  • Open modified FA in 'Coding Verification'
  • Select original factory SVT file
  • Select a folder for the NCD-Trace
  • Perform Complete Verification
When I compare the KAFAS2 NCD files from this process to the factory NCD files there are no differences at all (besides the coding date section).

When I compare the FEM_BODY NCD files from this process to the factory NCD files, the differences I noted above are found.

Am I doing something wrong?
FDL coding can make all changes that VO coding can. However, VO coding takes the work out of changing possibly hundreds of functions by hand when adding or removing a factory option.

I cannot explain why you are not seeing differences unless you really are not comparing to factory or failed to load correctly modified FA. PM me FA & SVT and I will take a look.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #35
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
FDL coding can make all changes that VO coding can. However, VO coding takes the work out of changing possibly hundreds of functions by hand when adding or removing a factory option.
Oh, OK, that makes sense; two ways of achieving the same thing.
Quote:
I cannot explain why you are not seeing differences unless you really are not comparing to factory or failed to load correctly modified FA. PM me FA & SVT and I will take a look.
OK, will do.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 12:10 AM   #36
Nezil
Major
Rep

So I just got a chance to test VLD enable / 8S4 removal today...

The difference is incredible, but so far I've only had a chance to test it against my neighbour's garage door because I'm home alone with kids asleep upstairs. It seems to only be active when the headlight switch is set to auto, and the engine needs to be running as well, presumably to determine the speed I'm doing, in this case less than 50 km/h.

The amount of right / left movement if you turn the wheel is also increased dramatically. Previously, there was some motion, but frankly, it was minimal. Now at 10ft away, the sweep is about 6 feet from side to side!

Here's a description that I found in the F15 section of this site. The angles might be different from us, but the behaviour seems similar at least for the slowest speed I tested:
1 - City Light: Shallow and Very Wide Beam Pattern active from 0 - 50kph (30MPH) (Both Headlamps are Panned outwards 12 horizontal from center and 0.7 lowered vertically)

2 - Standard Light: Same Basic Beam Pattern as with 8S4 Enabled and Headlamp Switch Set to Auto. Active from 50 - 110kph (30MPH - 68MPH)

3 - Guiding Fog Light - Shallow and Wider Beam Pattern Enabled with the Front Fog Lamps On and Headlamp Switch in Auto and Speed 0 - 110kph (Both headlamps are panned outwards 8 horizontal from center and lowered 0.7 vertically)

4 - Highway Light - Long Throw Pattern illuminating approx. 25% further than Standard Light. Active from 110 to 250kph (68MPH- 155MHP). (Driver's Side Headlamp is panned 3.5 outwards Horizontal from center and lowered 0.25 vertically, while the passenger side headlamp is raised 0.2 vertical)
I'm surprised more people haven't done this yet!

So it looks like VLD is a success, but I'm not sure what the next steps are with NGHB. Almaretto feels that there should be some changes to KAFAS2, but agreed that this doesn't seem to be the case after playing with the FA from my car.

I'm tempted to code the single NGHB parameter into FEM_BODY and see what happens. I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to test it though, because I'm going to need to find a quiet stretch of road and a friend to follow etc.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 12:57 AM   #37
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So it looks like VLD is a success, but I'm not sure what the next steps are with NGHB. Almaretto feels that there should be some changes to KAFAS2, but agreed that this doesn't seem to be the case after playing with the FA from my car.

I'm tempted to code the single NGHB parameter into FEM_BODY and see what happens. I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to test it though, because I'm going to need to find a quiet stretch of road and a friend to follow etc.
I have not come to any conclusion. I would not recommend partially coding (ie only FEM without properly doing FLE and KAFAS).
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 01:30 AM   #38
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have not come to any conclusion. I would not recommend partially coding (ie only FEM without properly doing FLE and KAFAS).
What do you suggest as a next step then?

I'm really happy with VLD by the way... Thanks for your help so far; without your support I don't think I'd have had the courage to continue after the map FSC issues I had early on, but I'm very glad I did.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #39
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What do you suggest as a next step then?

I'm really happy with VLD by the way... Thanks for your help so far; without your support I don't think I'd have had the courage to continue after the map FSC issues I had early on, but I'm very glad I did.

Next step would be to take a drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 10:55 PM   #40
Nezil
Major
Rep

OK, so I took a drive and am really enjoying the VLD, but now I've had my interest piqued by the possibility of NGHB, even though it might not be possible because of hardware limitations...

In order to thoroughly compare the coding of our cars, I need to be able to create a set of default NCDs for a European LCI M2 (1J51) vehicle with adaptive LEDs and NGHB confirmed to be active from the factory.

As I said above, I've tried removing 5AP and 8S4 from my FA, and this only gives one coding difference across all ECUs for 5AP removed. Changing the region of my vehicle to Europe didn't make any difference to this, so it's possible that the required changes are related to other FA items.

For reference, a US LCI (Model 1J53) with Executive Package (required for adaptive LED here) has the following FA options:

Standard Equipment:
1CB Co2 Content Co2 Umfang
2VZ 19"lt/aly Wheels Do.sp. 437 M/mt Bl 19"m Lm Raed.doppelspei. 437 M/mb S
249 Multi-function For Steering Wheel Multifunktion Fuer Lenkrad
4MC Interior Trim Finishers Carbon Fibre Interieurleisten Carbon Fibre
4NE Blow-by-heater Blow-by-heizer
481 Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger Sportsitze Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
5DS Luggage-compartment Emerg. Release Kofferraumnotentriegelung
502 Headlight Washer System Scheinwerfer-waschanlage
544 Cruise Control With Braking Function Geschwindigkeitsregel. Mit Bremsf.
645 Radio Control Us Radio-steuerung Us
760 Individual High-gloss Satin Chrome Individual Hochglanz Shadow Line
8R9 Refrigerant Kaeltemittel
823 Hot Climate Version Heissland-ausfuehrung
845 Acoustic Belt Warning Akustische Gurtwarnung
853 Language Version English Sprachversion Englisch
992 Number Plate Attachement Management Steuerung Kennzeichenbefestigung
993 Model Year Code Modelljahrescode
Options:
1CA Selection Cop Relevant Vehicles Selektion Cop Relevanter Fahrzeuge
2VB Tyre Pressure Indicator Reifendruckanzeige
2VC Tyre Repair Kit Reifenreparatur-set
248 Steering Wheel Heating Lenkradheizung
3AG Backup Camera Rueckfahrkamera
302 Alarm System Alarmanlage
319 Integrated Universal Remote Control Integrierte Universal-fernbedienung
322 Comfort Access System Komfortzugang
423 Floor Mats, Velour Fussmatten In Velours
430 Interior And Exterior Mirror Packa Innen- Und Aussenspiegelpaket
431 Interior Rr Vw Mirror W Aut Anti-d Innenspiegel,automatisch Abblendend
441 Smokers Package Raucherpaket
459 Seat Adjustm., Electr. W. Memory Sitzverstellung, Elektr.mit Memory
488 Lumbar Support Driver/front Passenger Lordosenstuetze Fahrer/beifahrer
493 Storage Compartment Package Ablagenpaket
494 Seat Heating F Driver/front Passenger Sitzheizung Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
5AC Autom. High-beam Headlights Control Fernlichtassistent
5AP Decoding For No-dazzle High-beam As Dekodierung Blendfreier Fernlichtas
5AS Driving Assistant Driving Assistant
507 Park Distance Control (pdc), Rear Park Distance Control (pdc), Hinten
521 Rain Sensor Regensensor
534 Automatic Air Conditioning Klimaautomatik
552 Adaptive Led Headlight Adaptiver Led-scheinwerfer
563 Lights Package Lichtpaket
6AC Intelligent Emergency Call Intelligenter Notruf
6AE Teleservices Teleservices
6AK Connecteddrive Services Connecteddrive Services
6AM Real Time Traffic Information Real Time Traffic Information
6AP Remote Services Remote Services
6CP Apple Carplay Preparation Apple Carplay Vorbereitung
6NW Telephony With Wireless Charging Telefonie Mit Wireless Charging
6WD Wifi Hotspot Wlan Hotspot
609 Navigation System Professional Navigationssystem Professional
655 Satellite Radio Satellitentuner
674 Hifi Loudspeaker System Harman Kardon Hifi-system Harman/kardon
697 Area-code 1 Area-code 1
8KL Oelserviceint. 15.000km/12months Oelwartungsint. 15.000km/12monate
8S4 Decoding Variable Light Distributio Decodierung Variable Lichtverteilun
8TH Speed Limit Info Speed Limit Info
8TN Daytime Driving Lights Selectable B Tagfahrlicht Ueber Lichtmenue Einst
9AA External Skin Protection Aussenhautschutz
925 Shipping Protection Package Versandschutzpaket
Can anyone donate a list of Standard and Optional equipment for a European LCI M2 (1J51) please? Bimmer.code will help you to get the list if you're not sure how find it.

Thanks in advance!

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 11:16 PM   #41
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
As I said above, I've tried removing 5AP and 8S4 from my FA, and this only gives one coding difference across all ECUs for 5AP removed. Changing the region of my vehicle to Europe didn't make any difference to this, so it's possible that the required changes are related to other FA items.
Then you did it wrong. There are lots of differences (74 total & >34 possibly relevant) in FLE when comparing US to EU.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 11:29 PM   #42
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Then you did it wrong. There are lots of differences (74 total & >34 possibly relevant) in FLE when comparing US to EU.
Ah yes, I wasn't looking at FLE, only KAFAS2 and FEM_BODY. I get the same result as you of 74 differences in FLE.

How do you know which of the 74 are relevant? Is that based on experience with other series vehicles?

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 12:35 AM   #43
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ah yes, I wasn't looking at FLE, only KAFAS2 and FEM_BODY. I get the same result as you of 74 differences in FLE.

How do you know which of the 74 are relevant? Is that based on experience with other series vehicles?
Yes. Use F015 FLE pdf as guide.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #44
Nezil
Major
Rep

Ok, got it... There are quite a few more changes in the F15 FLE than we show on LCI F87.

Do you think there is any risk in trying the similar looking changes? It shouldn't break anything should it?

What was the history of how this played out with the Adaptive LED LCI F30? I assume they also tried FLE coding.

Appreciate 0