BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Intercooler recommendations for tracking

07-30-2017, 11:36 PM   #1
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Intercooler recommendations for tracking

I've done 5 track days in stock form except for pads, fluid and 265 squared. I have a good feel for the car and am ready to start working on the suspension and cooling. Any recommendations for intercoolers? I'm happy with the stock power and don't plan to upgrade except for a catted downpipe.
Also, I'm torn between club sports and olhins. Does anyone have any hard data on lap times?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRufo View Post
I've done 5 track days in stock form except for pads, fluid and 265 squared. I have a good feel for the car and am ready to start working on the suspension and cooling. Any recommendations for intercoolers? I'm happy with the stock power and don't plan to upgrade except for a catted downpipe.
Also, I'm torn between club sports and olhins. Does anyone have any hard data on lap times?
Thanks!
I've heard that the club sports are not street friendly at all. I've seen many used sets for sale. Although I'm sure they are fast. Something like the Ohlins could maybe get close, especially if you utilize some stiffer sways to compensate for the softer street coil over offerings. I'm running the H&R adjustable sways front and rear with adjustable links, it's amazing what a difference full soft or stiff on the front bar does to the balance, turn in feels lightning quick with a hard set that holds through the corner.

The car feels more predictable on stuff out front but I think a forward balance would be faster. I'm not on a square setup though. I have 265/35 re11's up front with 285 rears. So you probably want a little push than I have dialed in.

For the intercooler I would just research the best cores and their density/pressure drop. There are a lot of cheaper options out there that utilize the same core as more expensive offerings. The difference being they don't mark them up like other companies. I like a lot of the step intercoolers.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
I've heard that the club sports are not street friendly at all. I've seen many used sets for sale. Although I'm sure they are fast. Something like the Ohlins could maybe get close, especially if you utilize some stiffer sways to compensate for the softer street coil over offerings. I'm running the H&R adjustable sways front and rear with adjustable links, it's amazing what a difference full soft or stiff on the front bar does to the balance, turn in feels lightning quick with a hard set that holds through the corner.

The car feels more predictable on stuff out front but I think a forward balance would be faster. I'm not on a square setup though. I have 265/35 re11's up front with 285 rears. So you probably want a little push than I have dialed in.

For the intercooler I would just research the best cores and their density/pressure drop. There are a lot of cheaper options out there that utilize the same core as more expensive offerings. The difference being they don't mark them up like other companies. I like a lot of the step intercoolers.
Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 11:30 PM   #4
MayorAdamWest
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

What’s the reason for the inter cooler if not adding other power upgrades? I’ve used the car on track in high heat and it seemed fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest View Post
What’s the reason for the inter cooler if not adding other power upgrades? I’ve used the car on track in high heat and it seemed fine.
Doesn't it feel like it's pulling power in the heat?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 11:27 PM   #6
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

Have KW 3 Way Clubsports for sale (listed in classifieds). Can't say anything about the Ohlins. But pretty sure I have most of the fastest Laps at the SoCal tracks on them.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKosherStogie View Post
Have KW 3 Way Clubsports for sale (listed in classifieds). Can't say anything about the Ohlins. But pretty sure I have most of the fastest Laps at the SoCal tracks on them.
Curious as to why you're selling. Had the v3's on my evo and loved them.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #8
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Wagner EVO 1 competition!

This with a sport cat and air filter = 410bhp
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 11:31 PM   #9
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
Wagner EVO 1 competition!

This with a sport cat and air filter = 410bhp
Great numbers! Where'd you buy?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #10
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

I added a Dinan intercooler a week after I purchased my M2. The primary reason was to ensure long-term reliability and power delivery at the race track. I haven't added gauges yet (or the bimmercode app), but I'd expect the intake air temps begin to rise dramatically when using full boost, on-track, for extended periods. The stock air/air intercooler appears very under-sized.

I'll be on-track in a week or so and I'll let you know. The Dinan unit is built very well (bar/plate/fit/finish) and is just plain huge (and appears well-designed w/the twin cores).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #11
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

There used to be a very significant hesitation/power drop above 6500rpm in my car when tracking on hot days. The power drop is gone after installing the Dinan IC.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #12
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Nice! My guess is a good intercooler like this will keep the IAT's close to ambient w/ minimal pressure drop
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrbri View Post
I added a Dinan intercooler a week after I purchased my M2. The primary reason was to ensure long-term reliability and power delivery at the race track. I haven't added gauges yet (or the bimmercode app), but I'd expect the intake air temps begin to rise dramatically when using full boost, on-track, for extended periods. The stock air/air intercooler appears very under-sized.

I'll be on-track in a week or so and I'll let you know. The Dinan unit is built very well (bar/plate/fit/finish) and is just plain huge (and appears well-designed w/the twin cores).
We're waiting for the track update.
      09-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'll be at Lime Rock Park for a PCA event this Sat. Feedback to follow!
Appreciate 0