BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Ask a Pro Detailer from Detailer's Domain

02-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #155
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MG 6MT

DetailersDomain

I'll be getting my car Xpel'd and coated with CQuartz (wheels as well). I'm starting to put together detailing products, and I want to ensure I don't purchase anything that can harm the coating. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

-CarPro Shampoo..maybe Hydrofoam? Or can I just use a PH neutral shampoo like Adam's?
-Adams wheel/tire cleaner - will this affect the ceramic wheel coating?
-Sonax Wheel Cleaner - same question
-Adam's APC - planning for engine bay and maybe door jambs

Also, what products would you recommend during the drying process? CarPro Reload sounds a bit intense. I like the idea of something like Ammo Hydrate, but again not sure how it will react with the coating.

Lastly, how would you recommend cleaning tar and bird bombs on the ceramic coating.

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 02:47 AM   #156
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbavar2 View Post
Orange County. I was considering XPEL, but since the car is white, I feel over time it'll show dirt on the edges/yellow?

What's a good sealant? I want the car to look really glossy/wet, it's Alpine White.

Which coatings are good to do? I read from some people that it gives the car a "plastic" look.
Sorry to budge in Phil but there are two shops in LA that are highly rated for most everyone I have known.

Envious Detailing
https://www.yelp.com/biz/envious-detailing-orange

Rhino Detailing
https://www.yelp.com/biz/rhino-custo...ington-beach-2

I personally go to Envious and Eric for everything at this point. He has done my coatings as well as my PPFs. I'm planning to have him coat my Brixton's soon. I have friends who has gone to Rhino with great results as well. Contact Eric @ Envious if you wish and say Jerry sent you.
      02-12-2017, 03:32 AM   #157
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Sorry to budge in Phil but there are two shops in LA that are highly rated for most everyone I have known.

Envious Detailing
https://www.yelp.com/biz/envious-detailing-orange

Rhino Detailing
https://www.yelp.com/biz/rhino-custo...ington-beach-2

I personally go to Envious and Eric for everything at this point. He has done my coatings as well as my PPFs. I'm planning to have him coat my Brixton's soon. I have friends who has gone to Rhino with great results as well. Contact Eric @ Envious if you wish and say Jerry sent you.
Thank you sir!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #158
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6734202 View Post
DetailersDomain

I'll be getting my car Xpel'd and coated with CQuartz (wheels as well). I'm starting to put together detailing products, and I want to ensure I don't purchase anything that can harm the coating. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

-CarPro Shampoo..maybe Hydrofoam? Or can I just use a PH neutral shampoo like Adam's?

Also, what products would you recommend during the drying process? CarPro Reload sounds a bit intense. I like the idea of something like Ammo Hydrate, but again not sure how it will react with the coating.

Lastly, how would you recommend cleaning tar and bird bombs on the ceramic coating.

Thanks in advance!!
Sure thing

Here are some of our go to washes, all great on coatings and foam well.

Adam's Car Wash
Lusso Auto Bathe
Nanolex Pure Shampoo

Our go to wheel cleaner in the shop these days would be

Nanolex Wheel Cleaner and Iron Remover - great on to decon your paint as well as wheels - works well with coated wheels

Adam's APC is great for your engine bay - touch up and dress it up after with Adam's In and Out Spray

A great products for after the wash and rinse but before the drying would be Nanolex Wash Coat - this product will prolong the life of the coating and boost the beading as well.

Hydrate works well but most products will change up the beading behavior of the coating.

That being said a great product that works well with both clear films and coatings would be Kenotek Showroom Shine probably one of the best detail sprays I have ever used.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #159
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Orange County. I was considering XPEL, but since the car is white, I feel over time it'll show dirt on the edges/yellow?

What's a good sealant? I want the car to look really glossy/wet, it's Alpine White.

Which coatings are good to do? I read from some people that it gives the car a "plastic" look.
The clear film is warrantied so you don't have anything to worry about, if you put Xpel on it and it yellows Xpel will back it so will most of the other brands like Prestige Films Technologies Clear Guard Nano.

A great easy sealant to use would be

Nanolex Spray Sealant
Jescar Power Lock

A very nice DIY coating would be Nanolex SIShield

Here is a car we did with the Nanolex SI3D.

I don't think it looks "synthetic or plastic"

M2 in Nanolex Si3D

S4 in Nanolex Si Shield
Appreciate 1
MASHCT541.50
      02-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #160
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
The clear film is warrantied so you don't have anything to worry about, if you put Xpel on it and it yellows Xpel will back it so will most of the other brands like Prestige Films Technologies Clear Guard Nano.

A great easy sealant to use would be

Nanolex Spray Sealant
Jescar Power Lock

A very nice DIY coating would be Nanolex SIShield

Here is a car we did with the Nanolex SI3D.

I don't think it looks "synthetic or plastic"

M2 in Nanolex Si3D

S4 in Nanolex Si Shield
Thanks! For XPEL: Since it's a white car, I'm assuming not all of the edges can be tucked in on the front bumper. Would dirt collect on those edges and show?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #161
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

not all edges I have a mineral white m3 and eventually dirt and dust can collect on the edges but you should be able to keep an eye on that and spend a little more time cleaning it during your routine washes.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 06:58 PM   #162
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
not all edges I have a mineral white m3 and eventually dirt and dust can collect on the edges but you should be able to keep an eye on that and spend a little more time cleaning it during your routine washes.
Thank You!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 07:35 PM   #163
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6734202 View Post
DetailersDomain

Thanks in advance!!
Sure thing

Here are some of our go to washes, all great on coatings and foam well.

Adam's Car Wash
Lusso Auto Bathe
Nanolex Pure Shampoo

Our go to wheel cleaner in the shop these days would be

Nanolex Wheel Cleaner and Iron Remover - great on to decon your paint as well as wheels - works well with coated wheels

Adam's APC is great for your engine bay - touch up and dress it up after with Adam's In and Out Spray

A great products for after the wash and rinse but before the drying would be Nanolex Wash Coat - this product will prolong the life of the coating and boost the beading as well.

Hydrate works well but most products will change up the beading behavior of the coating.

That being said a great product that works well with both clear films and coatings would be Kenotek Showroom Shine probably one of the best detail sprays I have ever used.
Is the kenotek meant as a spot cleaner or must it be used on a larger surface for even cleaning (if that makes sense)? I have xpel on my front end and cquartz over the whole car, don't want to break out my washing stuff for little spots. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #164
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybmmr View Post
Is the kenotek meant as a spot cleaner or must it be used on a larger surface for even cleaning (if that makes sense)? I have xpel on my front end and cquartz over the whole car, don't want to break out my washing stuff for little spots. Thanks!
spot surfaces or full car it's all good does all of that well.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #165
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank You!
sure thing no problem at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #166
luvmybmmr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybmmr View Post
spot surfaces or full car it's all good does all of that well.
Great thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #167
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

I've got XPel on the front of the car. Waxing caused thin white lines along all the seams. Took a long time brushing carefully with a toothbrush along the seams to clear the wax. Other than being more careful, is there any product or procedure to avoid this wax buildup along the seams? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #168
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
I've got XPel on the front of the car. Waxing caused thin white lines along all the seams. Took a long time brushing carefully with a toothbrush along the seams to clear the wax. Other than being more careful, is there any product or procedure to avoid this wax buildup along the seams? Thanks
What color is your car?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #169
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep

MG
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 08:52 PM   #170
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

What's the best way to clean the "shadowline" trim around the windows and side mirrors? And what would you recommend to repair fine swirl marks in the trim?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 09:12 PM   #171
Love2Golf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ordered:F80 Mineral Gray M3

I have a M3 MG on order. I am wanting to do a full Xpel body wrap. I am looking for the Frozen or Satin look. I have seen two cars with that look on the forums. one has an Xpel Stealth wrap and the other (I think) has a Xpel satin clear bra wrap.

Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Sean
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #172
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
can you take a photo of it so I can better advise you?
you may need to trim it back if it's too far gone or you can possibly use a detail spray and a clean towel to wipe going away from the clear film to clean it up.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #173
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf View Post
I have a M3 MG on order. I am wanting to do a full Xpel body wrap. I am looking for the Frozen or Satin look. I have seen two cars with that look on the forums. one has an Xpel Stealth wrap and the other (I think) has a Xpel satin clear bra wrap.

Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Sean
Sean,

I would probably go for the Stealth Wrap it looks good we have done a couple in the shop. No M's but a couple of Porsches.
It looks good and it holds up.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #174
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
What's the best way to clean the "shadowline" trim around the windows and side mirrors? And what would you recommend to repair fine swirl marks in the trim?
You can take care of it like your paint, when you need to remove swirls use the smaller polisher to polish them out.

Use something like the Rupes Nano Ibrid Short Neck or Rupes Nano Ibrid Long Neck
Appreciate 1
M2OG399.00
      02-16-2017, 04:00 PM   #175
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
can you take a photo of it so I can better advise you?
you may need to trim it back if it's too far gone or you can possibly use a detail spray and a clean towel to wipe going away from the clear film to clean it up.
I managed to clear all the lines using the toothbrush so the wax did not penetrate very far. In the future I will wax up to but not over the lines and buff away from the film. Will try some detail spray to see how that works. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #176
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I managed to clear all the lines using the toothbrush so the wax did not penetrate very far. In the future I will wax up to but not over the lines and buff away from the film. Will try some detail spray to see how that works. Thanks!
Give the Kenotek Showroom Shine a go I believe this will solve your problems.

As well a spray wax or sealant so you won't have any wax residue anymore.

Kenotek Showroom Shine
Nanolex Spray Sealant
Appreciate 1
Destroya371.00