BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > New Executive Package items for MY2018?

02-12-2017, 12:17 AM   #23
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I didn't realize this was an actual technique. I had always figured why waste some of the view on your side mirrors on looking at your own car? So turning the mirrors out a little just made sense.

This should be taught in driver's ed.
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #24
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Nice diagram. Its been the same basic idea for years but great to see younger drivers getting the information. Remember a quick head check is also a powerful tool unless you're a Jedi, but even then....

My M2 is my first car with Lane Departure warning. MY 2013 A8L did not have it nor blind spot warning. Our 2015 Q7 has the Blind spot warning but not the lane departure warning, go figure. It is VERY nice on that behemoth but I still turn my behemoth head and look! I was in a loaner A4 a few years ago which had the blind spot warning which I reproducibly confirmed and the dealer later confirmed DID NOT SEE SEMI-Trucks! VERY ODD. It saw other cars just fine, but if a Semi was there it saw NOTHING! So just as Luke Skywalker did, TURN OF THE NAVI COMPUTER and LOOK!

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #25
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
-To adjust the driver’s side-view mirror, place your head against the left side window and set the mirror so you can just barely see the side of the car in the mirror’s right side.

-To adjust the passenger’s side-view mirror, position your head so that it is just above the center console. Set the mirror so you can just barely see the side of the car in the left side of the mirror.

[IMG]http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-original.jpg[/IMG]
I have used the method above since high school.

The easiest way to make this adjustment and confirm it is in a relatively empty parking lot with a few parked cars to use as props.

Go find two vehicles that are parked with a space that is empty in between them. Pull your vehicle into the space between them as if to park.

Once ensuring that the aisle is free from traffic , pull ahead and out from between the two vehicles so that the rear bumper of your vehicle is just ahead of the two front bumpers of the vehicles on each side of you. This will pretty much place your car squarely in the parking lane, so -again- do this in an nearly empty lot free from traffic. !

Stop your vehicle in the aisle when the two vehicles are in your " blind Spot " and adjust all three mirrors. Use the center mirror to see directly behind you. Adjust the outside mirrors so that you can now fully find the vehicles in your blind spot and make sure that there are no gaps in what you can see behind you.

You should be able to look from the center rear view mirror to your outside right side mirror and see continuously. Adjust mirrors so the same is the case for the left side. This usually requires setting your side mirror adjustment so far out that you cannot see the side of your own vehicle from your normal seated position. In many vehicles my settings end up at or near the limit of the power adjustment limit of the factory mirrors.

You will be able to confirm that you can see without blind spots and now that anytime in traffic you can quickly check both mirrors - with very little movement - and have the confidence and readiness to make lane changes nearly at all times if you continually scan your mirrors while you drive.

Save your seat memory setting (if available ) ...pull away from the parked cars .... and have a nice day !
Appreciate 1
bollinm25.00
      02-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #26
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Nice diagram. Its been the same basic idea for years but great to see younger drivers getting the information. Remember a quick head check is also a powerful tool unless you're a Jedi, but even then....

My M2 is my first car with Lane Departure warning. MY 2013 A8L did not have it nor blind spot warning. Our 2015 Q7 has the Blind spot warning but not the lane departure warning, go figure. It is VERY nice on that behemoth but I still turn my behemoth head and look! I was in a loaner A4 a few years ago which had the blind spot warning which I reproducibly confirmed and the dealer later confirmed DID NOT SEE SEMI-Trucks! VERY ODD. It saw other cars just fine, but if a Semi was there it saw NOTHING! So just as Luke Skywalker did, TURN OF THE NAVI COMPUTER and LOOK!

Mike
Actually.. Luke didn't have to look... he learned to used the force ...

But I agree with your 100 percent on turning your head with blind spots systems and rear parking distance systems also. I can't tell you how many parking lot accidents I have handled where BOTH parties said... " I can't be at fault.. my car has backup sensors and they didn't go off "!. . There is no battle of the sensors .. it's up to the driver to TURN THEIR HEAD... If I find a driver doesn't turn their head. (Because that's always my next question.. " so when did you SEE the other vehicle ? " .. ) they are getting at least 50 percent of the blame for the collision.

My girl drives a Cadillac CTS coupe and i would say that it's blind spot detection is very impressive. That car has massive blind spots that you pretty much cannot eliminate with mirrors ( because the rearward visibility is so poor ) and it's necessary to have a system that's very well designed because a driver has to rely on the backup camera and blind spot detection when backing up in that vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #27
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
That's awesome. I'm gonna try to find a video/article about that. Was it easy adjusting to not being able to see your rear fender?
Sit in normal driving position. Adjust both mirrors so that the lines on the road transects the the outer lower corner or each mirror.

Best place to do this is when parked in a parking lot.

Gives the same result without moving your head.

EDIT: corrected diagram. red circles are based off of memory and approximate position. Point is you want that line to transect the mirror not that exact spot.
Attached Images

Last edited by omasou; 02-13-2017 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #28
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Actually.. Luke didn't have to look... he learned to used the force ...

But I agree with your 100 percent on turning your head with blind spots systems and rear parking distance systems also. I can't tell you how many parking lot accidents I have handled where BOTH parties said... " I can't be at fault.. my car has backup sensors and they didn't go off "!. . There is no battle of the sensors .. it's up to the driver to TURN THEIR HEAD... If I find a driver doesn't turn their head. (Because that's always my next question.. " so when did you SEE the other vehicle ? " .. ) they are getting at least 50 percent of the blame for the collision.
I cannot count how many parking lot accidents I narrowly missed...check mirrors, rear view camera, look side to side...start to pull back and then out of the corner of my eye, I see someone fly by the rear of my car...slam on the brakes...WTF...You can't wait one second and let me back out.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #29
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Wow, a bunch of smarty pants. Thanks for the pointers, but thats not the point here. Its an option available on cars half the price of ours. I don't need a navigation, I could read a map prior or stick my iphone on my windhield; I don't need a rear camera or pdc, I could use my eyes and even take my head out the window when i have to back up to something real close. I don't need a heated steering wheel, I could wear gloves when I first start my cold car. I do not need tpms to display when I have a low tire, I have psi measurer that I could use to check my tires every couple weeks. I don't need brake assist, I don't need lane departure warning, its called paying attenntion while driving. Guess what thats what I did on my bare bones stock E92 with manual leatherette seats for 9 years. So you definitely missed my point here. You pay $57,000 for a car, it'be nice to have an option thats standard on $20,000 cars. Maybe a parent or gf or a close friend would need to borrow the car sometime and it could benefit them more than some of us.
      02-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #30
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
Wow, a bunch of smarty pants. Thanks for the pointers, but thats not the point here. Its an option available on cars half the price of ours. I don't need a navigation, I could read a map prior or stick my iphone on my windhield; I don't need a rear camera or pdc, I could use my eyes and even take my head out the window when i have to back up to something real close. I don't need a heated steering wheel, I could wear gloves when I first start my cold car. I do not need tpms to display when I have a low tire, I have psi measurer that I could use to check my tires every couple weeks. I don't need brake assist, I don't need lane departure warning, its called paying attenntion while driving. Guess what thats what I did on my bare bones stock E92 with manual leatherette seats for 9 years. So you definitely missed my point here. You pay $57,000 for a car, it'be nice to have an option thats standard on $20,000 cars. Maybe a parent or gf or a close friend would need to borrow the car sometime and it could benefit them more than some of us.
You are comparing apples to oranges. The needs of someone buying a $20K car and I wouldn't even say $20K car. I would say normal sedan b/c I would expect similar options in a $20K sedan and the BMW 3 series vs. the person buying a M car who has a completely different sets of priorities, one of which if we look at the options you see as optional should also include the deletion of blind spot detection.

The $57K is buying you the 370HP engine, mongo size bushing, sport tires, etc. not things like blind spot detection. If it was included then the price would be $58K for an option that if we are like you would not want and be upset that we had to pay for it. So maybe BMW got that one right.

I don't know and maybe others do but my guess as to why we even have lane departure, brake assist and probably even TPMS are to placate the insurance industry and b/c they are, again guessing, the 3 top reasons people get into accidents? Which is reinforced by the number of people that have been pleasantly surprised by their insurance rates for this car.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #31
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
You are comparing apples to oranges. The needs of someone buying a $20K car and I wouldn't even say $20K car. I would say normal sedan b/c I would expect similar options in a $20K sedan and the BMW 3 series vs. the person buying a M car who has a completely different sets of priorities, one of which if we look at the options you see as optional should also include the deletion of blind spot detection.

The $57K is buying you the 370HP engine, mongo size bushing, sport tires, etc. not things like blind spot detection. If it was included then the price would be $58K for an option that if we are like you would not want and be upset that we had to pay for it. So maybe BMW got that one right.

I don't know and maybe others do but my guess as to why we even have lane departure, brake assist and probably even TPMS are to placate the insurance industry and b/c they are, again guessing, the 3 top reasons people get into accidents? Which is reinforced by the number of people that have been pleasantly surprised by their insurance rates for this car.
Oh so if you are makin that point, blind spot detection wont benefit insurance rates then?
      02-17-2017, 09:00 PM   #32
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Oh so if you are makin that point, blind spot detection wont benefit insurance rates then?
Not saying it wouldn't. Saying what they did add was probably related to insurance. Not sure where the point of diminishing returns would be w/o blindspot or with. Guess would be w/o b/c we don't have it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 12:12 AM   #33
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
Not saying it wouldn't. Saying what they did add was probably related to insurance. Not sure where the point of diminishing returns would be w/o blindspot or with. Guess would be w/o b/c we don't have it.
Obviously it wasn't a deal breaker nor was lack of front pdc nor lack of the adaptable suspension from the M4. Just saying, that blind spot detection thing looks cool.
      02-21-2017, 12:36 AM   #34
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

The only option that is not in the performance category is interior options. That's it
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #35
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Does the M2 have the "Welcome lights" or whatever they call the lights that are under the door handles. Or any lighting that shines down from the door onto the ground?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #36
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot-Z View Post
Does the M2 have the "Welcome lights" or whatever they call the lights that are under the door handles. Or any lighting that shines down from the door onto the ground?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #37
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer28312 View Post
The only option that is not in the performance category is interior options. That's it
Lane departure warning without blind spot always seemed weird to me. Are people really more likely to doze off than they are to change lanes into someone?
      02-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #38
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
If you want options get an M4. M2 doesn't need anymore uncessary options.

Performance oriented options only please.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #39
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

You're getting the 2-series options because that's economy of scale to build this thing. Maybe half of the posts in this M2 forum are really 2-series general forum questions. I personally want extra crap like a HUD and blind spot and bird's eye view in my M2 and would have paid more for it. Want a better audio system as well. Can live without Apple Carplay, lane departure or ASD or even motorized seats.
Appreciate 1
ddnmkun153.50