BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Any regrets among M2 owners on here?

08-10-2016, 07:17 AM   #133
LAGWAGN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster, '24 BSM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx93 View Post
It's easy to hate on BMW these days. Let's be honest, BMW has not made a good car since 2010. They are cheaping out on the interior, losing roots to screaming NA engines, getting more bloat and weight, numbing the driving experience, and pumping out way too many half baked cars to go after every single market niche. What's there to like?

I consider myself a old school traditionalist when it comes to sport cars. Forget the high performance M3, just focus on garden variety 3seriess of the old. Have you driven a 330 e46 generation or a 328 from e92 generation and rev it to redline? The way these motor screams and the driver enjoyment out of these compare to a modern BMW is a clear indication what BMW cares about these days.
I for one am getting kind of tired of your negative spamming all over these boards... If you're unhappy with the car and/or brand move on. None of your posts have been productive, at all.

Last edited by LAGWAGN; 08-10-2016 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 2
Seagull288.50
      08-10-2016, 07:34 AM   #134
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGWGN View Post
I for one am getting kind of tired of your negative spamming all over these boards... If you're unhappy with the car and/or brand move on. None of your posts have been productive, at all.
X2
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #135
lx93
Private
Rep
Drives: 16 MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGWGN View Post
Well. It might sway some people who are planning to buy a M2 away from the car. It might be helpful to some. Just not you.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #136
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
It's easy to hate on BMW these days. Let's be honest, BMW has not made a good car since 2010. They are cheaping out on the interior, losing roots to screaming NA engines, getting more bloat and weight, numbing the driving experience, and pumping out way too many half baked cars to go after every single market niche. What's there to like?

I consider myself a old school traditionalist when it comes to sport cars. Forget the high performance M3, just focus on garden variety 3seriess of the old. Have you driven a 330 e46 generation or a 328 from e92 generation and rev it to redline? The way these motor screams and the driver enjoyment out of these compare to a modern BMW is a clear indication what BMW cares about these days.
Quote:
Well. It might sway some people who are planning to buy a M2 away from the car. It might be helpful to some. Just not you.
No. It won't. You're bitching with "back in my day" arguments which are absurd. The world has moved on. I bet you use a blackberry because you like the "buttons".

It's really a binary choice. Either buy the car because you like what it offers, or go back to the 80s and buy an E30M3, 911, etc, because they offer a better driving feel for the "purist". You're not going to sway people. In one point you say the car has really high limits. In another you say it's a fat pig. Would you call a GT-R a shit car? I sure wouldn't despite the fact that it weighs as much as an aircraft carrier.

Don't buy the car, and go post in the e46 or e92 boards. Your argument is played out and unoriginal.
Appreciate 2
quikM2371.00
Robin_NL8720.00
      08-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #137
lx93
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
No. It won't. You're bitching with "back in my day" arguments which are absurd. The world has moved on. I bet you use a blackberry because you like the "buttons".

It's really a binary choice. Either buy the car because you like what it offers, or go back to the 80s and buy an E30M3, 911, etc, because they offer a better driving feel for the "purist". You're not going to sway people. In one point you say the car has really high limits. In another you say it's a fat pig. Would you call a GT-R a shit car? I sure wouldn't despite the fact that it weighs as much as an aircraft carrier.

Don't buy the car, and go post in the e46 or e92 boards. Your argument is played out and unoriginal.
I have an M2, sir. And I am not an old fart. I love all the high tech driver assist aid on my Merc. M2's biggest problem is it's not enough of a sports car and not enough of a daily practical driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #138
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I have an M2, sir. And I am not an old fart. I love all the high tech driver assist aid on my Merc. M2's biggest problem is it's not enough of a sports car and not enough of a daily practical driver.
Oh, don't you say. It is an... M car!
Not even a cayman GT4 is enough of a sports car and it sure as hell is not practical either.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #139
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Lol what... The M2 pushes the limit of how sporty a practical daily can be. It's the perfect balance, but not being sporty enough is so far away from a valid complaint from my end.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #140
lx93
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Moura View Post
Oh, don't you say. It is an... M car!
Not even a cayman GT4 is enough of a sports car and it sure as hell is not practical either.
I agree with you. A proper, legitimate sports car would be completely impractical. The less practicality indeed, the better. A few cars come to mind. Lotus Elise/Exige. Alfa 4C. Mazda Miata. Lotus 7. Aerial Atom. S2000. Never driven a Cayman GT4 but I think that's enough to be considered a sport car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #141
lx93
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Lol what... The M2 pushes the limit of how sporty a practical daily can be. It's the perfect balance, but not being sporty enough is so far away from a valid complaint from my end.
Go drive a Lexus and tell me M2 is a more comfortable and luxurious daily driver than that? And then drive a Alfa 4C and tell me M2 is a better sports car? The car is good as one only car but if one can have the luxury of multiple cars it makes very little sense
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #142
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Never called you old. Called your argument old and crusty. Hope your next car is what you want for track driving. Sorry about eating the markup on the car.

Based on specs though, I'm curious what you were expecting that would have been wildly different from the M235 and M3/4?

Want a P car? Buy a P car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #143
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Attached Images

Robin_NL8720.00
gtaM2390.50
      08-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #144
lx93
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Lol okay I will stop. Sorry about ranting
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #145
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Lol okay I will stop. Sorry about ranting
      08-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #146
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:

All the BMw's I owned through the years: E46 330d, E46 330i, E46 M3, E87 120d, E90 330i, E90 335i, E90 M3, all 6MT. Then came F10 535iA, F30 335i 6MT and 1M, and now M2.

The best of the bunch were E46 M3, E87 120d, 1M and this M2. Because sportiest in feel/engine/balance and roadholding.

I'm with you BMWs in general are getting less connected, heavier, but M2 is a car which can get my neckhair still rising(roadholding/balance/steering/engine/sound) IF I drive it hard/fast enough.

But for the rest, if you don't 'feel' an M2...it's the sportiest car around with 4 seats for that price. It's very very agile. Numbers don't lie if you compare it to any Boxster/Cayman below a GT4, it's on par in braking/steering/slalom/G forces etc. (Sportauto carmag) Or even better(depending which discipline)

BRZ/Miata lack power(understatement)and finesse as a whole imho.

Just trade your M2 in @ Porsche for a GT4.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #147
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Man this thread went wayyyyy
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #148
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
Putting a deposit 4 months before start of production
Waiting for an allocation that took months
Waiting for a production build slot
Potential differential issues on the car

Do you need more?

All that to say, BMW Canada could have done a better job for their communications (tracking system not available for Canadian market)

I really hope the car will meet the expectations, because it will be my first and last BMW.
I'm in the same boat as you. Put down a deposit in May and won't see my car until February / March. I just view it as the way it is and I am lot more fortunate to have one of the only three allocations for my sole dealership in Winnipeg rather than be the fourth or fifth guy and on and on that want this car and no matter how much they wave their cheque can't have one.

You don't need to say more.. of course you are entitled to how you feel about the experience but I honestly think its more to do with not having the car and being unable to drive the car that's playing into your frustration. That might change and I hope you post your thoughts in here once you actually take possession and spend your first week with it. It might be like when a smoking hot chick pisses you off and then apologizes after by batting her eyelashes at you etc. suddenly all that anger is gone and you want to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #149
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. Put down a deposit in May and won't see my car until February / March. I just view it as the way it is and I am lot more fortunate to have one of the only three allocations for my sole dealership in Winnipeg rather than be the fourth or fifth guy and on and on that want this car and no matter how much they wave their cheque can't have one.

You don't need to say more.. of course you are entitled to how you feel about the experience but I honestly think its more to do with not having the car and being unable to drive the car that's playing into your frustration. That might change and I hope you post your thoughts in here once you actually take possession and spend your first week with it. It might be like when a smoking hot chick pisses you off and then apologizes after by batting her eyelashes at you etc. suddenly all that anger is gone and you want to drive.
I know the M2 will be an amazing car. My brother has a 1M and I have driven it a few times (). I just wish I could have it earlier in the process

As you say, as for the 1M, we will be the few lucky ones that own a M2
      08-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #150
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Then you just don't drive it hard enough/the way it should be driven

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #151
lx93
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Then you just don't drive it hard enough/the way it should be driven

Cheers
Robin
haha! thats the problem with all modern high performance cars. If you drive anything these days hard enough, you will 1)get dirty looks from other drivers on the road 2)get tons of attention from police 3)get pulled over and a few speeding tickets 4)lose your licenses 5)end up in jail, in that order. i am buying myself a old E30 with 100hp m10 engine soon, and that sucker i should be able to flog it everywhere without any legal consequences
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #152
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
haha! thats the problem with all modern high performance cars. If you drive anything these days hard enough, you will 1)get dirty looks from other drivers on the road 2)get tons of attention from police 3)get pulled over and a few speeding tickets 4)lose your licenses 5)end up in jail, in that order. i am buying myself a old E30 with 100hp m10 engine soon, and that sucker i should be able to flog it everywhere without any legal consequences
God bless America.

Thank God I'm living in the Northern part of my small country, daytime lots of traffic, but at night it's rather quiet overhere, and just less than one hour driving from Germany.

If I want to >125mph is possible every day even at daytime just a few mins from where I live without any stress, dirty looks, abusing traffic etc or whatever. But just because I can doesn't mean I should. A lot of nice B roads overhere as well. M2 heaven

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 10:04 AM   #153
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
A lot of nice B roads overhere as well. M2 heaven
That's good to know! Can you please point me to your favourite driving roads in the Netherlands?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #154
lx93
Private
Rep

Quote:
God bless America.

Thank God I'm living in the Northern part of my small country, daytime lots of traffic, but at night it's rather quiet overhere, and just less than one hour driving from Germany.

If I want to >125mph is possible every day even at daytime just a few mins from where I live without any stress, dirty looks, abusing traffic etc or whatever. But just because I can doesn't mean I should. A lot of nice B roads overhere as well. M2 heaven

Cheers
Robin
thats awesome! i am stuck driving the M2 on my local back roads at 35mph. And this is a very interesting read http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/03/...ars-going-far/
Appreciate 0