BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > How do you treat breaking in of engine on Euro Delivery?

05-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

How do you treat breaking in of engine on Euro Delivery?

My last new car was like 10 years ago, so I'm fuzzy on the procedures, but it used to be for the first 1000 miles, you couldn't go over like 100 MPH or 4000 RPM, or something like that.

Cars have improved so much, and the M cars all come with synthetic oil, I wonder how important that is to stick to that?

For those who do Euro Delivery, do you still totally follow the above guidelines? You're in Germany after all, with the no speed limit Autobahns, and the Nurburgring possibly. How do you avoid the temptation and once in a lifetime opportunity of properly driving on the Autobahn?

Last edited by Lotus99; 05-20-2018 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

They will tell you not to exceed 105 mph nor 5500 rpm, and to avoid prolonged driving at a steady rpm for the first 1200 miles before you get the break-in service done.

Most ppl follow those guidelines - you simply need to plan over 1200 miles on your trip, and to find a place in Europe to get the break-in service done. In that case, you have to pay for it up front, but BMW NA (at least for US - not 100% sure for Canada) will do a courtesy reimbursement for that initial service.
      05-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
ewohar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I Dinan Stage II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
My last new car was like 10 years ago, so I'm fuzzy on the procedures, but it used to be for the first 1000 miles, you couldn't go over like 100 MPH or 4000 RPM, or something like that.

Cars have improved so much, and the M cars all come with synthetic oil, I wonder how important that is to stick to that?

For those who do Euro Delivery, do you still totally follow the above guidelines? You're in Germany after all, with the no speed limit Autobahns, and the Nurburgring possibly. How do you avoid the temptation and once in a lifetime opportunity of properly driving on the Autobahn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post

Honestly, just drive the hell out of it. Your car will be fine. I did it, hit 138 in the rain and tore it up in the Dolomites.

Enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewohar View Post
Honestly, just drive the hell out of it. Your car will be fine. I did it, hit 138 in the rain and tore it up in the Dolomites.

Enjoy it.
By the time I get there, I figure I'll have around 600 miles on the car, so at least it won't be totally brand new. It'll be a lot closer to the break in period wrapping up at least.

And I'm thinking I might do a few laps on the Ring with it, then switch over to a rental track car for the Ring, and beat that real good.

Any tips on renting?
Appreciate 0