BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 3 Fix-it Tickets at Once

02-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #67
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon @ eas View Post
A few weeks into my F30 ownership, I was pulled over for tint - the CHP officer who pulled me over stated so. It was raining buckets, and I was rather annoyed that rain was getting into my car. The cop also wrote me up for no plates (I showed him my temporary registration, btw) and said that when he ran my VIN, that my plates had been issued. I explained that I had not received my plates, but he shrugged it off as he wrote me up for it. The officer also said I was "lucky" he wasn't writing me up for suspension... my stock (at the time) M-sport suspension. I was confused at some of his reasoning in that traffic stop. Some cops are nice, some aren't in the best of moods. Take the ticket and be on your merry way.
Don't you think he was talking about driver's license suspension - not your car's suspension
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #68
m4recruiter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - ED Pick-up 4/29/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrwrld View Post
Believe me CHP don't give no warnings, they think there a bunch of storm troopers on the highway, always trying to mean mug you.
I think there are different experiences, based on different circumstances. While I've already stated my opinion on this particular situation, I had another with a different outcome -

I was speeding - 20-25mph over on a two-lane highway. After being stopped, I was polite and when I handed my information to the Officer, I commented that my updated address was written on the back. He was surprised and said, "Nobody does this." After he ran my plates, he returned and again stated his surprise, handed me my documents and told me to drive safely. To be honest, it barely felt like a warning (although I certainly took it as one). This was many years ago, before the ///M.
2001 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #69
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I'm dreaming of a day where people would just follow the rules, tell the truth and be upstanding citizens. A day where people would be responsible and accountable for their actions rather than shirking that responsibility. I'd like to see much more respect given to people. See, I can dream too!
Seriously! My hardest adaptation when I left 23 years of service in the military was getting used to the level to which folks would lie and whine. I guess I'm still not completely used to it. Here's to a fellow dreamer.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #70
Bomiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: SS E92 M3

I usually get a front plate ticket, throw it on the tow hook, get it checked, then take it all off until I get caught again.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:41 PM   #71
bwu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
EDITED: California law states that the driver and passenger front windows "must allow at least 70 percent of light to penetrate into the vehicle" (30% tint). California doesn't even allow medical exemptions. In SoCal, the sun can be relentless, and a very large percentage of cars are tinted for sun protection and cooler temps in the car. Enthusiasts tend to go darker than most. I have 35% all around on my M4, they didn't have 30%.

Most tint shops have a policy that if they installed it and you get a ticket, they'll take it off for free. Having it removed is the only remedy, unless you know a friendly cop who will sign off your citation without you actually removing it.
Are you sure this is accurate or are there new tint laws as of 2017? I got 2 tint tickets last year for having 35% tints. Both cops told me front driver/passenger tints are not allowed at all in California even when I told them I thought it was the legal limit...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #72
brandon @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Don't you think he was talking about driver's license suspension - not your car's suspension
Haha, not quite. He was saying that my car was low.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #73
brandon @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Seriously? Wow! I didn't even know you could get ticketed for suspension.
Indeed - there's a height requirement I believe, from the bottom of the headlights to the ground. Something along the lines of 22 inches minimum.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #74
RandyC54
Salty Middle Aged Dog
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
I always find statements like this interesting. Enforcing the vehicle code is a primary facet of law enforcement (...when the officer works traffic enforcement, etc.). Keeping our "stretch of the road" safe is part and parcel to that. Many major apprehensions come from the enforcement of vehicle code violations. Sure, there's a punitive aspect to breaking the law, but that's part of the punishment. If you don't want to be subjected to a fine, don't put yourself in the position in the first place. Far more warnings are issued than citations (...contrary to your assumption).

I'm dreaming of a day where people would just follow the rules, tell the truth and be upstanding citizens. A day where people would be responsible and accountable for their actions rather than shirking that responsibility. I'd like to see much more respect given to people. See, I can dream too!
My point is that we as a society place FAR too much emphasis on traffic rules. Yes, we need politicians to place some restrictions, but it's totally out of control. I'd like the fines to be cut by 90%, too. And, absolutely yes, I'm with you that it would be great if citizens would only approximately follow the rules, tell the truth and be upstanding and responsible and accountable and respectful. We agree. Until then, I think we spend far too many resources on traffic laws and enforcement - reread some of the posts above if you need to see why. (Here in Virginia, people are actually getting jail time for speeding over 85mph)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #75
m4recruiter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - ED Pick-up 4/29/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwu View Post
Are you sure this is accurate or are there new tint laws as of 2017? I got 2 tint tickets last year for having 35% tints. Both cops told me front driver/passenger tints are not allowed at all in California even when I told them I thought it was the legal limit...
There are many websites out there that offer different information. I've ready anything from 88% (clear glass) to 70%. All of these statements made by window tint installers and manufacturers.

I would go by the CA VC, which states:
(a) (1) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

and it goes on...

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:
(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.
(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.
(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun’s harmful ultraviolet A rays.
(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the installing company and the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material’s manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer’s instructions meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address.
(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.
2001 E46 325i Touring

Last edited by m4recruiter; 02-14-2017 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #76
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrwrld View Post
Believe me CHP don't give no warnings, they think there a bunch of storm troopers on the highway, always trying to mean mug you.
This is the most ridiculous statement that I've ever heard. Plenty of people receive warnings. Sorry that it hasn't worked out for you personally however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Seriously? Wow! I didn't even know you could get ticketed for suspension.
There are ride height requirements (...although it is rare for an officer to actually measure your vehicle and write you a citation over ride height).

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4recruiter View Post
I think there are different experiences, based on different circumstances. While I've already stated my opinion on this particular situation, I had another with a different outcome -

I was speeding - 20-25mph over on a two-lane highway. After being stopped, I was polite and when I handed my information to the Officer, I commented that my updated address was written on the back. He was surprised and said, "Nobody does this." After he ran my plates, he returned and again stated his surprise, handed me my documents and told me to drive safely. To be honest, it barely felt like a warning (although I certainly took it as one). This was many years ago, before the ///M.
+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon @ eas View Post
Indeed - there's a height requirement I believe, from the bottom of the headlights to the ground. Something along the lines of 22 inches minimum.
Pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC151 View Post
My point is that we as a society place FAR too much emphasis on traffic rules. Yes, we need politicians to place some restrictions, but it's totally out of control. I'd like the fines to be cut by 90%, too. And, absolutely yes, I'm with you that it would be great if citizens would only approximately follow the rules, tell the truth and be upstanding and responsible and accountable and respectful. We agree. Until then, I think we spend far too many resources on traffic laws and enforcement - reread some of the posts above if you need to see why. (Here in Virginia, people are actually getting jail time for speeding over 85mph)
While I won't deny that politicians often push agendas, speed is a real factor. I see it every single shift. You are insulated from it because you aren't working traffic collisions. You aren't cleaning up the mess. You aren't dealing with the dead bodies. I also wish the fines for driving under the influence were even higher, and I wish the punishment was more severe than it already is.
Appreciate 3
      02-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #77
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC151 View Post
Seriously? Go to China to drive there for 1 week, and see how you like it. Just this past Chinese New Year holiday, someone drove on the highway in the wrong direction for over 10km after missing an exit. Other drivers reported her to the police, and she was caught after crashing through the exit ramp trying to make a U turn. She was only fined for 200 RMB ($30) and 12 points deducted from her license. Now tell me you want to drive in a world like that.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8136.50
      02-14-2017, 07:36 PM   #78
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
EDITED: California law states that the driver and passenger front windows "must allow at least 70 percent of light to penetrate into the vehicle" (30% tint). California doesn't even allow medical exemptions. In SoCal, the sun can be relentless, and a very large percentage of cars are tinted for sun protection and cooler temps in the car. Enthusiasts tend to go darker than most. I have 35% all around on my M4, they didn't have 30%.
You've got it backwards… The percent on window tint IS the light transmission. Hence why 20% is darker than 35%. It lets less light thru.

So you have to get 70% or higher window tint film to be in compliance. NOT 30%.
Appreciate 2
Maynard3804.50
      02-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #79
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Depends... Are you driving through the hood late at night? Then yes, hella suspicious...

As for the op - seen a few people already comment but I can also tell you that US Millworks is a great option except this time, I went with this and the quality / fit & finish is amazing...

Sto N Sho

http://shop.bigmikesperformanceparts...ion-SNS67a.htm
You don't scrape it at all? I'd be worried about anything protruding below the front bumper, especially if you end up lowering the car too... I've got a 335 right now, lowered less than an inch, and the plastic under the bumper already rubs a lot going in and out of driveways and over some speed bumps...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 08:33 PM   #80
HT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4recruiter View Post

Questions

Front Plate - Are there any specific tow-hook license plate holders that are recommended? Any to avoid?

Thank you for reading!
Hi, just in case this is helpful, this was my half baked solution which has held good for 2 weeks now. Some 3M CF wrap and then 3M tape to bond plate to wrap. will work even better if your plate is thin and slightly bendable around curve of bumper.
Attached Images

2016 M3 Azurite Black
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #81
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwu View Post
I searched for it and this was referenced in an online Union-Tribune article from a couple of years ago. I also thought it was no tint at all on front side windows, and that's what I originally posted, but thought I would search to be sure and this is what I found. I know that it's not in either the PDF or the online versions of the CA Driver Handbook and the CA Vehicle Code is no longer available on the DMV website.

I just did more searching and I can't find the California Vehicle Code and any reference to window tinting.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #82
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Quote:
Depends... Are you driving through the hood late at night? Then yes, hella suspicious...

As for the op - seen a few people already comment but I can also tell you that US Millworks is a great option except this time, I went with this and the quality / fit & finish is amazing...

Sto N Sho

You don't scrape it at all? I'd be worried about anything protruding below the front bumper, especially if you end up lowering the car too... I've got a 335 right now, lowered less than an inch, and the plastic under the bumper already rubs a lot going in and out of driveways and over some speed bumps...
It's not that thick... and I only threw it on to get a fix it ticket signed off and then it's just sitting on the floor in the back...

Actually happened to be sitting in my car waiting on someone so here's a quick pic...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 09:29 PM   #83
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sto N Sho

Hard to tell so here's another pic... Great quality and easy simple install - just use the two preexisting bolts underneath the bumper...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 09:29 PM   #84
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
You've got it backwards… The percent on window tint IS the light transmission. Hence why 20% is darker than 35%. It lets less light thru.

So you have to get 70% or higher window tint film to be in compliance. NOT 30%.
Yeah, your're right. I knew that! I'll edit my original post.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 12:09 AM   #85
EBM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

On my end I have never been let go for a ticket, 75% of which according to the letter of the law I was in he wrong. The 25% (3 tickets) I was pulled over 1 time on 580 in my M6 to give a slew of fixit tickets and to ask me if I really owned the car (apparently young minorities can't afford M6's) 2nd ticket I was driving my Nissan Titan going the speed limit and the officer decided I was going to be pulled over and ticketed and then failed to show to court. and the 3rd time was on 880 while In the slow lane behind a group of cars exiting Alvarado Niles headed south bound was driving 60 mph and I knew the CHP patrol car was in the fast lane and passing me until he slowed down and pulled me over my wife and 2 year old were in the car I was driving a Blk/Blk 750i sport package just bought the car and he pulled me stating I was speeding and then went on to question if I owned the vehicle (again I don't understand why CHP thinks I can't afford a BMW) he asked 3 times then reached through the passenger window and tore the registration off the window. This went back on forth for a few minutes I finally just told him to give me the ticket and I will see him in court.

I show up in court and the cop runs down the ticket and says flat out lies according to him I was pulling on the freeway from the exit prior to Alvarado Niles with two young males in the car at a high rate of speed. Really I was in the car with my wife and 2 year old, he flat out lied to the judge. I went on to call him a lier in court and the judge asked if I have a way to prove who was in the car and I said of course my wife was in the car, but she would not grant me an extension to another court date to bring my wife in to court. She stated that I should have brought her with me in the first place. I said how was I to know the CHP officers was going to lie under oath.

Bottom line is some cops are Pricks (despite our fellow member who is a cop stating the use of the word is wrong) but most cops are not. In OP's case and mine in my M6 it is simply unsafe to be pulling people over on a Bay Area freeway just to give fix it tickets (or any freeway for that matter). The officers that are doing this have a disregard for their own safety and the safety of the car they are pulling over period. Either life is not worth the revenue from fixit tickets, especially cops like the one who pulled me over (M6 time) and pulled me out of the car on the side of 580 to have me pop my hood and look under the car etc. A driver not paying attention could easily have plowed into us like the family that was hit along 680 near Walnut Creek recently two kids died when the mothers car broke down on the freeway. A drunk driver plowed into them in the middle of the day and the drink drivers husbaind was a cop also.

That's my 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      02-15-2017, 12:51 AM   #86
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
The only risk you run about continuing to disregard the CVC 5200(a), etc. citations that you received is that we can see the history, and next time the officer will/may choose not to mark any of them correctable. You will then be required to just pay the full fine rather than the correctable fee. It's your choice to roll the dice.

P.S. FWIW, I don't run a front plate either, and I only write it if the registered owner of the vehicle is giving me attitude.
You're such a shithead Clan, you totally ticket everyone and laugh on your way to your cruiser!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
How would you know this? Did mommy catch you jerking off to some Big Foot porn ?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 02:59 AM   #87
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBM4 View Post
On my end I have never been let go for a ticket, 75% of which according to the letter of the law I was in he wrong. The 25% (3 tickets) I was pulled over 1 time on 580 in my M6 to give a slew of fixit tickets and to ask me if I really owned the car (apparently young minorities can't afford M6's) 2nd ticket I was driving my Nissan Titan going the speed limit and the officer decided I was going to be pulled over and ticketed and then failed to show to court. and the 3rd time was on 880 while In the slow lane behind a group of cars exiting Alvarado Niles headed south bound was driving 60 mph and I knew the CHP patrol car was in the fast lane and passing me until he slowed down and pulled me over my wife and 2 year old were in the car I was driving a Blk/Blk 750i sport package just bought the car and he pulled me stating I was speeding and then went on to question if I owned the vehicle (again I don't understand why CHP thinks I can't afford a BMW) he asked 3 times then reached through the passenger window and tore the registration off the window. This went back on forth for a few minutes I finally just told him to give me the ticket and I will see him in court.

I show up in court and the cop runs down the ticket and says flat out lies according to him I was pulling on the freeway from the exit prior to Alvarado Niles with two young males in the car at a high rate of speed. Really I was in the car with my wife and 2 year old, he flat out lied to the judge. I went on to call him a lier in court and the judge asked if I have a way to prove who was in the car and I said of course my wife was in the car, but she would not grant me an extension to another court date to bring my wife in to court. She stated that I should have brought her with me in the first place. I said how was I to know the CHP officers was going to lie under oath.

Bottom line is some cops are Pricks (despite our fellow member who is a cop stating the use of the word is wrong) but most cops are not. In OP's case and mine in my M6 it is simply unsafe to be pulling people over on a Bay Area freeway just to give fix it tickets (or any freeway for that matter). The officers that are doing this have a disregard for their own safety and the safety of the car they are pulling over period. Either life is not worth the revenue from fixit tickets, especially cops like the one who pulled me over (M6 time) and pulled me out of the car on the side of 580 to have me pop my hood and look under the car etc. A driver not paying attention could easily have plowed into us like the family that was hit along 680 near Walnut Creek recently two kids died when the mothers car broke down on the freeway. A drunk driver plowed into them in the middle of the day and the drink drivers husbaind was a cop also.

That's my 2 cents.
Not sure I agree with this... What does a drunk driver's husband being a cop have to do with this story? Like the husband being a cop automatically requires you to be an upstanding citizen...

Also, it took a drunk driver to plow into a parked car on the side of the road... While you deem it unsafe, there's a shoulder on the side of the road for a reason, where it leaves ample room for a non visually impaired person (and by visually impaired I mean incapacitated person) to avoid with ease. If we want to use your story for example, the entire story could've been avoided if your windows weren't tinted... If your pull over caused a 10 car pile up on the freeway - hate to break it to you but it's not the officer's fault... If you hadn't tinted your windows, you wouldn't be on the side of the road where a drunk driver didn't swerve to avoid you and ended up causing a pile up...

With that said, I don't love it but I have no one to blame but myself if I get pulled over for tints / no front plates / speeding / driving in the car pool lane when I'm the only occupant and anything of the sort...
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410783.00
      02-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #88
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Quote:
The only risk you run about continuing to disregard the CVC 5200(a), etc. citations that you received is that we can see the history, and next time the officer will/may choose not to mark any of them correctable. You will then be required to just pay the full fine rather than the correctable fee. It's your choice to roll the dice.

P.S. FWIW, I don't run a front plate either, and I only write it if the registered owner of the vehicle is giving me attitude.
You're such a shithead Clan, you totally ticket everyone and laugh on your way to your cruiser!
Only you Lups! Only you! [love]
Appreciate 0