BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Painted key hole cover for RHD LBB

02-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
Mad One
Jersey
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Painted key hole cover for RHD LBB

Hi there fellow M2 owners

I've been looking to swap out the drivers side door handle cover to one without a key hole. It's a common mod and IND sell them for $44 a pop before shipping. Sounds good and I highly rate IND but their shipping prices are really steep for getting such a cheap part to the U.K (plus exchange rates are killing the pound ATM).

http://ind-distribution.com/ind/cate...-keyhole-cover

So I found the correct part number on realoem and it is £15 from my local dealer. However this is a primed version only. BMW do offer a painted version but with delivery quoted in months and they wouldn't give me a price.

Before I took delivery of my LBB M2, I got my dealer to coordinate with a local paint shop to colour code my M Perf carbon rear spoiler and I'm happy with the colour match - cost was £145. So I thinking of going ahead but then thought it will most probably cost me the same to spray 1 or 10 key hole covers so I wanted to know if there were any other other U.K. LBB M2 owners who would also like this? Installation seems straight forward with only basic tools required. IND offer a install guide on their site.

Minimum cost could be as low as £35 based on 10 covers - £15 per cover plus £15 paint and no more than a fiver for postage. Maximum number i'd be prepared to do is 10 and minimum 5 (other than simply doing my own). If there are only 5 then it would be more like £50 per. I'm not looking to make any money, just trying to give a little back to the forum as I mostly lurk!

So I'm seeing what interest there is before I order a bunch of keyhole covers!
Lee me know what you guys think and either reply here or PM me.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 06:06 PM   #2
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad One View Post

I've been looking to swap out the drivers side door handle cover to one without a key hole. It's a common mod and IND sell them for $44 a pop before shipping. Sounds good and I highly rate IND but their shipping prices are really steep for getting such a cheap part to the U.K (plus exchange rates are killing the pound ATM).

So I found the correct part number on realoem and it is £15 from my local dealer. However this is a primed version only. BMW do offer a painted version but with delivery quoted in months and they wouldn't give me a price.

Before I took delivery of my LBB M2, I got my dealer to coordinate with a local paint shop to colour code my M Perf carbon rear spoiler and I'm happy with the colour match - cost was £145. So I thinking of going ahead but then thought it will most probably cost me the same to spray 1 or 10 key hole covers so I wanted to know if there were any other other U.K. LBB M2 owners who would also like this? Installation seems straight forward with only basic tools required. IND offer a install guide on their site.

Minimum cost could be as low as £35 based on 10 covers - £15 per cover plus £15 paint and no more than a fiver for postage. Maximum number i'd be prepared to do is 10 and minimum 5 (other than simply doing my own). If there are only 5 then it would be more like £50 per. I'm not looking to make any money, just trying to give a little back to the forum as I mostly lurk!

Thanks
I'm UK LBB and would be up for one.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Not for me. Mineral Grey for +10hp. :P
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
How do you open the door when the battery goes flat? Your key stops working or some other electrical fault?
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      02-15-2017, 04:33 AM   #5
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
How do you open the door when the battery goes flat? Your key stops working or some other electrical fault?
Yeah, hadn't really thought that through, on second thoughts having done so, I'm out and will keep the hole in my door.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
Mad One
Jersey
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishUK View Post
Yeah, hadn't really thought that through, on second thoughts having done so, I'm out and will keep the hole in my door.
Fairy muff, however I have never had a BMW remote fail - 1M for 4 years and M2 to date.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
You probably pop the covers off with your key to access the physical lock cylinder in the event of battery failure of the key fob. That is how my Golf R is.
      06-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

I want this mod!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #9
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad One View Post

Thanks
Can I just test my understanding: You had the dealer paint a piece of cosmetic carbon fibre to match the rest of the car?

TIA
Appreciate 0