BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust + Down Pipe Installed on my BMW M2 Coupe

09-03-2016, 04:45 AM   #1
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust + Down Pipe Installed on my BMW M2 Coupe

Yesterday I visited the Akrapovic factory in Slovenia. During the visit, the mechanics installed a titanium evolution exhaust on my BMW M2 Coupe. Next to the exhaust, also a down pipe with catalytic converter and gloss carbon fiber diffuser were installed.

The morning started with moving the car inside the factory and raising it so that we could see the stock exhaust. Engineers removed the exhaust and the down pipe from the car so that I could have a closer look at the turbo and the undercarriage of the car. The photos below give a good look at the set up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Robin_NL8679.50
AndrewC198910903.50
      09-03-2016, 04:53 AM   #2
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
The second step was installing the Akrapovic exhaust, the down pipe and the gloss carbon fiber diffuser. The final result is visible below on the photos.

The quality level of this exhaust is one of the finest I have seen. It is almost a piece of art if you look at it. The fit is excellent and the set up works excellent with the car.

MR
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Robin_NL8679.50
AndrewC198910903.50
gavinsan149.00
      09-03-2016, 05:09 AM   #3
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Before you are asking why the stickers? I am driving a road rally the next week with Shmee150 and our starting point is in Ljubljana, Slovenia. The tour brings us across the balkan to Italy and France. The stickers will come off in 8 days or so.

Now let's discuss the exhaust system as a whole. Interestingly, the system is a lot louder on the outside, but not a lot louder on the inside. Inside the interior, the sounds levels (also because I disengaged ASD) are slightly louder than stock. You hear a higher soundtrack pitch coming from the exhaust and there is a lot more burbling. You can clearly hear the influence of the new set up, but it is never annoying or droning which is what I had hoped for.

The cold start up is a lot louder, as expected. The exhaust follows the ECU modes and the modes available via the Sport and Traction button. The sound track of each of these modes is of course louder and especially the 'hidden' exhaust mode via the Traction mode has turned some notches up!

Video: before and after!

Listening to the sound track, it is a lot more raw, and feels quite common to the set up available for the BMW M4. More raw, lower in tone, more burbles, more volume, never droning or annoying. A clear difference between stock and Akrapovic is noticeable by ear, but as stated above this is mainly the case outside and not inside.

Another noticeable point is the fact that you really clearly hear the woosh sound from the turbo after lift off. It is way more noticeable than before and it is a nice extra to the exhaust set up.

Overall, it feels like a really thoroughly engineered set up both on sound (inside/outside) and build quality. You really feel like it has some decent engineering all across the board. The materials are wonderful and the sound is exactly what you expect without it being annoying. All in all exactly the set up that Akrapovic wants to achieve with their systems.

Early next year I will install the catless downpipe and make a comparison for you guys, so that you know how loud that is. For now feel free to ask any questions or let me know what you think of it. I will try to reply and answer much as I can.

MR

Last edited by MR.; 09-03-2016 at 05:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2016, 05:09 AM   #4
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Man... those decals
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 05:29 AM   #5
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M View Post
Man... those decals
That is what rally decals are for Clearly never watched a rally event...

MR
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 05:57 AM   #6
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Nice! Does the Akrapovic exhaust have a remote to control the valves like the MPE?

If yes, were the videos with the valves open or closed?
      09-03-2016, 06:02 AM   #7
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

That system is really a work of art, thanks for posting MR.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #8
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

4 questions:

1) I heard Akrapovic uses a remote controller to open/close valves, now did you just state it automatically follow stock driving mode?

2) Is your car with tune or not? Does it throw a CEL without a tune?

3) Is the stock exhaust sound in your comparison video running with valves open or closed?

4) Apparently Akrapovic uses a split dual pipe (not a true dual pipe system, technically) configuration as opposed to the single pipe found in m2 stock and many other N55 applications. Is a noticeable torque loss at down low being felt?

Thanks.

Last edited by SeanWRT; 09-05-2016 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Add one more question
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #9
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
That is what rally decals are for Clearly never watched a rally event...

MR
I know exactly what event (#FFEna) they are for, but still, I do not like *these* decals.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #10
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Congratulations with the new exhaust…! With all the exposure Akrapovic is getting on forum's, You Tube, etc…where everything is posted about this M2 exhaust you guys probably made a very nice deal with them
Good for you and well done
      09-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #11
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Why is there a dent along the left midpipe on the akrapovic?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #12
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

It makes me want this system! Amazing quality.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 02:11 AM   #13
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Yesterday I visited the Akrapovic factory in Slovenia. During the visit, the mechanics installed a titanium evolution exhaust on my BMW M2 Coupe. Next to the exhaust, also a down pipe with catalytic converter and gloss carbon fiber diffuser were installed.

The morning started with moving the car inside the factory and raising it so that we could see the stock exhaust. Engineers removed the exhaust and the down pipe from the car so that I could have a closer look at the turbo and the undercarriage of the car. The photos below give a good look at the set up.
Great photos MR and it was one of my favourite Shmee videos, learnt heaps about Akra, thnak you for that.
As others have asked, does the exhaust have a remote valve, open/close wasn't shown on the video. Or did you just go with open all the time, not needing the remote valve?

Any more detail on the rally? I'll be in Croatia in 2 weeks for IronMan.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 02:50 AM   #14
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Fantastic stuff and info. Thanks!

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #15
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
And the final video:

MR
Appreciate 3
filet.M2c782.50
SeanWRT3179.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      09-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #16
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
Nice! Does the Akrapovic exhaust have a remote to control the valves like the MPE?

If yes, were the videos with the valves open or closed?
Yes you can opt for this but I did not. The system now works with the build-in program by BMW themselves. Similar to what the stock exhaust does when you go through the modes.

The idea was to have the Awron display control it, but somehow this is not working yet. I am talking to Awron to get this sorted using the RES button to open or close the valve whenever I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
4 questions:

1) I heard Akrapovic uses a remote controller to open/close valves, now did you just state it automatically follow stock driving mode?

2) Is your car with tune or not? Does it throw a CEL without a tune?

3) Is the stock exhaust sound in your comparison video running with valves open or closed?

4) Apparently Akrapovic uses a split dual pipe (not a true dual pipe system, technically) configuration as opposed to the single pipe found in m2 stock and many other N55 applications. Is a noticeable torque loss at down low being felt?

Thanks.
1) Yes you can opt for this but I did not. The system now works with the build-in program by BMW themselves. Similar to what the stock exhaust does when you go through the modes.

The idea was to have the Awron display control it, but somehow this is not working yet. I am talking to Awron to get this sorted using the RES button to open or close the valve whenever I want.

2) It now has a down pipe with catalytic converter. I have the one without as well and I will test it next year after the winter. You will hear the comparison then, since I do not have any time to fit it instead of the downpipe with cat. I do not have any issues since the downpipe does not throw any engine warning lights. It is fully tested not having these errors.

3) It depends on the modes! Sport is open, and traction mode is open as well. Comfort mode is closed as with your normal exhaust

4) I have not felt any difference or impact of this in any single way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 228JB4 View Post
Why is there a dent along the left midpipe on the akrapovic?
I honestly do not know.

MR
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #17
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

sounds badass
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 04:17 AM   #18
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Yes you can opt for this but I did not. The system now works with the build-in program by BMW themselves. Similar to what the stock exhaust does when you go through the modes.

1) Yes you can opt for this but I did not. The system now works with the build-in program by BMW themselves. Similar to what the stock exhaust does when you go through the modes.

2) It now has a down pipe with catalytic converter. I have the one without as well and I will test it next year after the winter. You will hear the comparison then, since I do not have any time to fit it instead of the downpipe with cat. I do not have any issues since the downpipe does not throw any engine warning lights. It is fully tested not having these errors.

3) It depends on the modes! Sport is open, and traction mode is open as well. Comfort mode is closed as with your normal exhaust

I honestly do not know.

MR
Thank you for the reply. Your car sounds amazing!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 02:01 AM   #19
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Few more photos shared by Akrapovic
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ried791.50
      09-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #20
HRE_Wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Awesome! Thank you for sharing and posting up photos and videos of the system. Great insight into Akrapovič and what makes them special, thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #21
F87_M2
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:

I honestly do not know.

MR
Were you able to get the Awron display to control the valves?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #22
WheelsBoutique
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Subscribed to this thread. Amazing photos, video, and writeup. Looking for to helping other M2 owners acquire this truly spectacular exhaust system.