BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Aussie deliveries?

03-23-2017, 04:52 AM   #947
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesbmw View Post
I got the first look at the new girl today - needless to say, Thursday can't come soon enough
It's Thursday - hope it went well....
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 06:08 AM   #948
charliesbmw
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
It's Thursday - hope it went well....
Thanks so much! Today was great, car is simply fantastic. I'll post my initial thoughts and experiences tomorrow.
      03-24-2017, 01:28 AM   #949
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I pick her up tomorrow!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-24-2017, 02:16 AM   #950
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust350z View Post
I pick her up tomorrow!
Awesome...are they ferric grey 437M rims? Looks good.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 03:09 AM   #951
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Quote:
I pick her up tomorrow!
Awesome...are they ferric grey 437M rims? Looks good.
Yup! Ferric Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 04:39 AM   #952
charliesbmw
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Initial thoughts! I was going to post the other day, but I didn't feel I'd had enough time with the car to give a through review - so after half a week and 1000km here goes!

I'd test driven the car on two separate occasions, once on a track and once around town. So I was reasonably familiar with what to expect. I must say however the night before delivery I was concerned the car wouldn't live up to my expectations - I'd be waiting since last May and eagerly browsing the forums, reviews and youtube on an almost daily basis (not an exaggeration). And I thought, maybe, somehow it wouldn't be the car I'd dreamt of for a year, that it wouldn't feel right, I'd feel I'd wasted my money. Without a single whisper of doubt, my eleventh hour concerns were quickly swept away.

I arrived to the dealership after the longest, most impatient day at work. I walked through the doors and there she was, in all her beauty waiting for me. My heart skipped a beat, I felt butterflies in my tummy, it was the moment I was waiting for all year. We sat as I learned how to use the new idrive system. I noticed the lingering smell of fresh leather. The fit and finish is perfect. I've heard many reviewers say the interior pales in comparison to other cars in the segment - I'll take their word for it; but take my word for it, too, that the interior is spectacular. The way the steering wheel feels, smooth and chunky and the sound it makes as it glides through your hands. The alcantara on the door trim, how premium it feels and the comments it receives. The tactile sensation of the buttons and idrive controller. They all add to what is a luxury experience.

The first drive was extremely wet. The hardest rain I'd seen in a long time. It was a good chance to experience the car as a normal road car. It performed beautifully. I tested the Harmon Kardon sound. I was treated with crystal clear, well balanced mid range and highs coupled with thumping bass. It's the first time a car system has come close to my home system. I'm no audiophile but I do appreciate quality music and stereos and am very impressed with the HK sound.

The weather cleared later that night as my drive continued. A friend joined me as we drove toward the city. With the clearer weather came the opportunity to open the sunroof, open the windows and open the throttle. The aural sensation led us both to giggle like schoolgirls. I didn't want to drive the car too hard due to the break in period so we explored the different drive modes to gauge the effect on exhaust sound. Sport (and sport +) gave us the most entertainment under load and decided it was the best mode for normal driving duties. Traction mode (or MDM, one press of the traction button), wasn't as loud under throttle but easily gave the most satisfying pops and bangs. "Oh man, that's just rude." "Obnoxious", we'd cheekily exclaim. We would continue to grin like children and we dubbed this mode "city mode", for it's ability to grab attention from everyone around.

Childish activity aside, the best thing about this car is surely how it performs in corners. You simply can't doubt it's straight line performance, for it rapidly picks up pace and easily outshines almost every other car on the road. Even at half throttle there isn't a hint of turbo lag as the engine quickly picks up revs and takes you to lightspeed down the road. But a special mention really needs to be made about how the machine takes a corner. The more I drive the car and the more comfortable I become with it, the more I understand and appreciate just how incredible this car is. You'll be travelling along, step on the brake, hit the left paddle and hear a pop, gurgle and surge of energy. You turn in and point, all with perfect feedback. It defies physics and remains perfectly flat. It doesn't whimper under brakes, it's never unsettled by the turn and the moment you hit the apex, it's ready to build revs again. You take a turn once and find it mind-blowing. You take the same turn again, push a little harder and quickly realise the car is better than you. It has so much more to give, it wants to be driven hard, it wants to be challenged and it wants to teach you exactly why you go to bed every night dreaming about cars and waking up early the next morning just to go for a drive. The M2 is the car dreams are made of. It's the car you want, not the car you need. And it's a piece of fine art and engineering that made me quickly dismiss any concerns it wouldn't meet my expectations, but set a new standard for what a car should be.
      03-31-2017, 02:40 PM   #953
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

Quote:
I pick her up tomorrow!
I just ordered an M2...now the wait coming from a E92 335i with DCT...long wait!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 06:05 AM   #954
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesbmw View Post
Initial thoughts! I was going to post the other day, but I didn't feel I'd had enough time with the car to give a through review - so after half a week and 1000km here goes!

I'd test driven the car on two separate occasions, once on a track and once around town. So I was reasonably familiar with what to expect. I must say however the night before delivery I was concerned the car wouldn't live up to my expectations - I'd be waiting since last May and eagerly browsing the forums, reviews and youtube on an almost daily basis (not an exaggeration). And I thought, maybe, somehow it wouldn't be the car I'd dreamt of for a year, that it wouldn't feel right, I'd feel I'd wasted my money. Without a single whisper of doubt, my eleventh hour concerns were quickly swept away.

I arrived to the dealership after the longest, most impatient day at work. I walked through the doors and there she was, in all her beauty waiting for me. My heart skipped a beat, I felt butterflies in my tummy, it was the moment I was waiting for all year. We sat as I learned how to use the new idrive system. I noticed the lingering smell of fresh leather. The fit and finish is perfect. I've heard many reviewers say the interior pales in comparison to other cars in the segment - I'll take their word for it; but take my word for it, too, that the interior is spectacular. The way the steering wheel feels, smooth and chunky and the sound it makes as it glides through your hands. The alcantara on the door trim, how premium it feels and the comments it receives. The tactile sensation of the buttons and idrive controller. They all add to what is a luxury experience.

The first drive was extremely wet. The hardest rain I'd seen in a long time. It was a good chance to experience the car as a normal road car. It performed beautifully. I tested the Harmon Kardon sound. I was treated with crystal clear, well balanced mid range and highs coupled with thumping bass. It's the first time a car system has come close to my home system. I'm no audiophile but I do appreciate quality music and stereos and am very impressed with the HK sound.

The weather cleared later that night as my drive continued. A friend joined me as we drove toward the city. With the clearer weather came the opportunity to open the sunroof, open the windows and open the throttle. The aural sensation led us both to giggle like schoolgirls. I didn't want to drive the car too hard due to the break in period so we explored the different drive modes to gauge the effect on exhaust sound. Sport (and sport +) gave us the most entertainment under load and decided it was the best mode for normal driving duties. Traction mode (or MDM, one press of the traction button), wasn't as loud under throttle but easily gave the most satisfying pops and bangs. "Oh man, that's just rude." "Obnoxious", we'd cheekily exclaim. We would continue to grin like children and we dubbed this mode "city mode", for it's ability to grab attention from everyone around.

Childish activity aside, the best thing about this car is surely how it performs in corners. You simply can't doubt it's straight line performance, for it rapidly picks up pace and easily outshines almost every other car on the road. Even at half throttle there isn't a hint of turbo lag as the engine quickly picks up revs and takes you to lightspeed down the road. But a special mention really needs to be made about how the machine takes a corner. The more I drive the car and the more comfortable I become with it, the more I understand and appreciate just how incredible this car is. You'll be travelling along, step on the brake, hit the left paddle and hear a pop, gurgle and surge of energy. You turn in and point, all with perfect feedback. It defies physics and remains perfectly flat. It doesn't whimper under brakes, it's never unsettled by the turn and the moment you hit the apex, it's ready to build revs again. You take a turn once and find it mind-blowing. You take the same turn again, push a little harder and quickly realise the car is better than you. It has so much more to give, it wants to be driven hard, it wants to be challenged and it wants to teach you exactly why you go to bed every night dreaming about cars and waking up early the next morning just to go for a drive. The M2 is the car dreams are made of. It's the car you want, not the car you need. And it's a piece of fine art and engineering that made me quickly dismiss any concerns it wouldn't meet my expectations, but set a new standard for what a car should be.
Thanks for taking the effort to write this. Always nice to see people happy and passionate about their new car. Sadly for me new cars don't excite me that much anymore but I am very much looking forward to getting back into a manual BMW again.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #955
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

slashrawr yours can't be far away, wasn't it due March/April?

Last edited by Prodigy.; 04-03-2017 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 11:46 PM   #956
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

For the Pure owners, are there any option that you regret not getting?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 12:52 AM   #957
Dave-A
Serial Car Buyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: E82 1 Series M and E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
For the Pure owners, are there any option that you regret not getting?
None here.

If you're over 6 foot, the manual seats on the pure are essential. Having spent time in both the pure and standard cars, I think that the only reason one would choose a standard car is for the auto gearbox.

Otherwise:

1. HK speakers are redundant as the road noise drowns out the quality of the audio noise;
2. The dynamic lighting is good, but unnecessary once the standard spread is set; and
3. Heated seats have been redundant during my ownership.

Past: '16 F87 M2, '09 987 Cayman, '08 B7 RS4 Avant, '08 E92 M3, '01 B5 RS4 Avant, '05 987 Boxster S, '03 E46 M3, '04 Evo 8MR, and '01 8L S3.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 05:19 AM   #958
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-A View Post
None here.

If you're over 6 foot, the manual seats on the pure are essential. Having spent time in both the pure and standard cars, I think that the only reason one would choose a standard car is for the auto gearbox.

Otherwise:

1. HK speakers are redundant as the road noise drowns out the quality of the audio noise;
2. The dynamic lighting is good, but unnecessary once the standard spread is set; and
The hardest part for me is the lack of comfort access. I've had those in my cars for as long as I can remember, other than a couple of the GT cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 06:52 AM   #959
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Quote:
None here.

Otherwise:

The hardest part for me is the lack of comfort access. I've had those in my cars for as long as I can remember, other than a couple of the GT cars.
Why not get it, then? Surely, you're not contemplating weight saving or building it as a track car?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #960
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Why not get it, then? Surely, you're not contemplating weight saving or building it as a track car?
Remember my 135i coupe track car? That was ordered with no option. I'm doing the same thing again but don't think I'll build this into a track car.

No, you can't get comfort access with the manual Pure.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #961
Dave-A
Serial Car Buyer
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
None here.

Otherwise:

I had forgotten about that. I've had that in both M3s, but have never used it on either car.

I'm being politely informed by the better half that the perk is great with a handbag and shopping- neither of which I participate in.

Past: '16 F87 M2, '09 987 Cayman, '08 B7 RS4 Avant, '08 E92 M3, '01 B5 RS4 Avant, '05 987 Boxster S, '03 E46 M3, '04 Evo 8MR, and '01 8L S3.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #962
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Remember my 135i coupe track car? That was ordered with no option. I'm doing the same thing again but don't think I'll build this into a track car.

No, you can't get comfort access with the manual Pure.
Ah! I forgot....yes, it does become convenient just to walk up to the car with keys in pocket, and hop in. Even the Clio has it!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 11:07 PM   #963
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

I had CA on my previous BMW and it often annoyed me, particularly with novice passengers and impatient kids. Too easy just to put hand in pocket and push the button on the fob.

I will miss the fine adjustment of the electric seats though.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #964
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
None here.

Otherwise:

I've ordered the standard car partly as I understood the Pure manual seats don't have any lumbar support/adjustment (& it can't be optioned like other overseas markets). Wife & I both need this + the heating is good for her more so having had spinal surgery.
I also find the adaptive headlights in my current car useful so am keen to keep that option (& my brother-in-law is impressed with the adaptive LED headlights/hight beam assist in his 340). The only slightly annoying part is 'no cost option' manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #965
iQuiet
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

Anyone have an exhaust on their M2 in Melbourne? Eisennman, Armytrix, Akra, or even MPE? I would definitely like to listen, heavily considering an exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 10:25 PM   #966
Nspin298
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MY17 LBB DCT

Quote:
Yes I normally would agree with you but in Brisbane the weather has gone a bit cooler, so some nights i've had my sunroof and windows open and heated seats on..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 02:46 AM   #967
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspin298 View Post
Quote:
Yes I normally would agree with you but in Brisbane the weather has gone a bit cooler, so some nights i've had my sunroof and windows open and heated seats on..
I'm not sure about Brisbane, but here in Canberra heated seats are the price of female partner appeasement
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 03:16 AM   #968
Dave-A
Serial Car Buyer
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspin298 View Post
Quote:
In Brisbane?

I'm in Sydney and had the car through last winter. Can't say I've missed them.

Appreciate 0