BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > MSRP goes up $800 on March 1 2017...?

02-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #1
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
MSRP goes up $800 on March 1 2017...?

Was at a fairly large volume dealer here in Cleveland today looking at a MGM 6MT they had in stock. Didn't get to drive it, but really like the feel on the 6MT. Clutch is *amazingly* light (definitely lighter than my TTRS, which was surprising). The car also had the MPE on it, and the sales guy allowed me to start and rev the car a bit... it sounds good, but wow was it loud. (Some of this was probably from being inside the showroom... but I honestly don't know if I could live with that volume daily.)

Sales guy had an official-looking printout stating that MSRP for M2s would be going up by $800 (to $52,500) as of March 1st.

Obviously this could've been a sales tactic or something, and I unfortunately didn't snap a picture of it, so take this with the appropriate amount of salt.

I'm pretty sure that I'm waiting for an LCI anyway, and another $800 isn't really the end of the world for me on this car. I don't need the car right now, and this local dealership has 5 people in front of me for allocations, and I don't feel like screwing around with trying to buy elsewhere (especially since I will probably be trading in my current car).

Just wanted to throw this out there in case it affects anyone else's purchasing decisions or timelines.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2017, 01:23 AM   #2
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I have the MPE and I agree that it is pretty loud even in sport (normal) mode. I save track mode for when I am driving with the windows down. Do you have the sport exhaust option on your TTRS?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 01:59 AM   #3
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg80 View Post
I have the MPE and I agree that it is pretty loud even in sport (normal) mode. I save track mode for when I am driving with the windows down. Do you have the sport exhaust option on your TTRS?
The exhaust system has a vacuum-activated flapper on the left side of the car, ECU controlled so it opens and closes when it wants to.

There's a "S" button in the car that makes the flapper open more often (it also makes the throttle way more sensitive, and it stiffens the hell out of the magnetic shocks). There's no "approved" way to force it open like the MPE with its button. However, you can pull the vacuum line off in the back and cap it off, and then the flapper stays open, so a lot of guys will do the "flapper mod" for a bit more sound on either of the OEM options.

My TTRS was CPO, so I didn't get to pick the options.

It came with the stock / standard exhaust, which was way too quiet for an RS Audi. You could barely hear the car from inside. First thing I wanted to change.

I found a guy that had bought with the Audi Sport part on it and then later upgraded to an aftermarket system, so I then bought his Sport exhaust and put it on my car.

Liked the volume, tasteful, somewhat aggressive, without being too loud, and it had a nice deep tone. Problem is that it droned pretty badly right around 2000-2500 RPM, which is within the legal highway cruising range for this car in 6th (depending on your speed limit). Since my commute is ~80% highway, plus I occasionally make long trips for work in the car, it got annoying.

I then found another person selling a Corsa catback for the car; Corsa makes a big stink about their "reflective sound cancellation" system to cut down drone. Verdict: eeeehhhhhh....? The Corsa does still drone a bit, but the drone is more like 80mph in 6th, while the stock exhaust droned around 60-70 in 6th.

The Corsa sounds way more wicked than the Sport exhaust though, especially at the upper RPM range, so that's what's on the car now.

TTRS comes stock with 3 cats; only one of them is monitored (it's mounted inches from the turbo). The pair of "Secondary cats" are under the car on what people call the "midpipes," and they're really simple to replace with straight pipe. I did the secondary decat before pulling off the Sport exhaust, so I've never actually had the Corsa installed with all 3 cats, but from what I've read around here replacing cat with straight pipe shouldn't change sound much, just volume?

The TTRS has a really mean banshee wail kind of sound at 4k rpm and up, but the odd number of cylinders also means that it has kind of an out of whack tone too. Think "nice major 1-3-5 chord" vs. some dissonant minor with an extra key out of tune. The higher RPM wail definitely can turn heads, but at low-mid it gets kind of annoying. At really low RPM it actually sounds kind of like a diesel truck, nobody's really sure why. Lots of "farm machinery" jokes around TTRS owners. Sometimes I call it "the hairdresser's tractor"
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.

Last edited by ZPrime; 02-10-2017 at 02:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I would say that its worth it to get a test drive with the MPE before buying since it is $4k and acceptable volume and drone is all relative to your personal taste and experience.

I have had a few sporty cars but I would say the M2 with MPE is by far the loudest especially at moderate cruising around town from inside the car.

My past cars...
350z with Nismo exhaust: no drone, relatively quiet unless full throttle and in the higher rpm range.
Honda S2000 stock exhaust: Civic quiet around town but due to the gearing and convertible top the combo of the engine and outside road noise made it pretty loud above 80mph.
Lexus ISF stock exhaust: no drone, quiet for a v8, above 3600rpm the 2nd intake opened and a baritone roar could be heard inside the cabin - great sound and nothing that ever bothered me.
335 with MPE: no drone, even in sport mode the exhaust is only barely audible in the car. Windows open or from outside are the best way to experience the sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

The price increase has been confirmed for cars built after march 1st.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2017, 03:18 AM   #6
piesauce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 | BMW M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Damnit... I won't be able to get a production number until early march. This really blows.
Any idea what the price increase is for? I read in another thread it might be for the switch from Xenon headlamps to LED.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 06:12 AM   #7
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg80 View Post
I would say that its worth it to get a test drive with the MPE before buying since it is $4k and acceptable volume and drone is all relative to your personal taste and experience.

I have had a few sporty cars but I would say the M2 with MPE is by far the loudest especially at moderate cruising around town from inside the car.

My past cars...
350z with Nismo exhaust: no drone, relatively quiet unless full throttle and in the higher rpm range.
Honda S2000 stock exhaust: Civic quiet around town but due to the gearing and convertible top the combo of the engine and outside road noise made it pretty loud above 80mph.
Lexus ISF stock exhaust: no drone, quiet for a v8, above 3600rpm the 2nd intake opened and a baritone roar could be heard inside the cabin - great sound and nothing that ever bothered me.
335 with MPE: no drone, even in sport mode the exhaust is only barely audible in the car. Windows open or from outside are the best way to experience the sound.
I'm trading my 350 with Nismo exhaust for the M2. I agree on no drone cursing around.

How do find the MPE in comparison to this?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by piesauce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Damnit... I won't be able to get a production number until early march. This really blows.
Any idea what the price increase is for? I read in another thread it might be for the switch from Xenon headlamps to LED.
I believe it is the annual price hike that comes across the lineup.. even as the euro continues to falter .... ( I say that because these increases used to be blamed on the dollar vs the euro ..apparently with no relation to the actual markets )
Appreciate 0