BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 Track Car

02-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
joseyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 17 488GTB, 16 Cayman S

M2 Track Car

Have been slowly buying some parts to modify the M2 ever since I got it in December and will finally get to drive the car tomorrow morning with most of the parts installed. I got a membership last year at the local track country club in Chicago (Autobahn) so this car will mostly be a track car plus driving to and from the track. Here is a list of parts that have been installed. Figured I should start a discussion since there has been a lot of different mod combinations being discussed recently and I should pitch in.

- Dinan intercooler
- Dinan resonator pipe delete
- Fabspeed catted downpipe
- Pure Turbo inlet pipe
- Evolution Racewerks oil cooler
- Evolution Racewerks charge pipes
- Eventuri intake

- M Performance coilovers
- Ground Control camber plates
- Dinan rear suspension links
- Dinan tension strut ball joint
- RKP corner braces

- AP Racing front BBK w/ Ferodo DS1.11 pads
- Ferodo DS1.11 rear pads
- Spiegler steel brake lines
- Castrol SRF brake fluid

All the parts have been installed except the brake related parts because I am still waiting for some stuff to arrive. Have setup an appointment early next week with ACF Performance to get the BM3 tune on my DME and then we will do a custom dyno tune for 93 octane. I did not have time to do a base dyno but will post the results after my dyno session on Wednesday. I believe the shop we will be at has a Mustang dynometer.

I am planning to stick with the stock wheels for now, but will be moving up to 255/35 and 275/35 sizes like the M3/M4. Right now I am undecided on whether I should go with the Bridgestone RE-71R or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. I have tracked with Michelin PSS tires before and they seemed fine for a few sessions but I have heard that they don't last very long on the track. Any input on this will be appreciated.

I also bought an Awron gauge for the car and will be installing it after I am done tuning the car. I am thinking a roll cage will be next and then maybe bigger turbos. What do you guys think?

Last edited by joseyu; 02-17-2017 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
AlexCirci496.50
      02-17-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Sounds like an awesome build! Subscribed! But why are you waiting to install the Awron? It'll give a ton of pertinent info while tuning.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
joseyu
Private First Class
Rep

Just how the schedules ended up working out. I think most of the info from the Awron will be available from the BM3 software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
Sounds like an awesome build! Subscribed! But why are you waiting to install the Awron? It'll give a ton of pertinent info while tuning.
Appreciate 1
DrKevM52269.00
      02-18-2017, 06:55 AM   #4
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

You'll probably need to upgrade the radiator.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 07:27 AM   #5
DelGriffith
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 SO M2C

VERY impressive list of parts for what sounds like an awesome little track beast. No coding yet? Keep us posted on your favorite mods and bang for buck thoughts. Congrats!
'17 F87 MG M2-Gone
'19 F87 SO M2C
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
BurpZilla
Avid Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White M2 6spd

I took my car to Sebring a couple of times, had a total of ~2 hours of track time. Dude all you need is a pagid brake pads/stainless lines and your set. I did not upgrade anything else and 0 issues for me. My 2nd upgrade will be a bolt in harness, and my 3rd Ohlins. Will see what else I need after that :-)
Alpine White BMW M2 6spd; 2015 Arctic White Yukon XL Denali
Appreciate 1
Pparana463.00
      02-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #7
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurpZilla View Post
I took my car to Sebring a couple of times, had a total of ~2 hours of track time. Dude all you need is a pagid brake pads/stainless lines and your set. I did not upgrade anything else and 0 issues for me. My 2nd upgrade will be a bolt in harness, and my 3rd Ohlins. Will see what else I need after that :-)
You're running stock power levels. He is talking about increased boost.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseyu View Post
Have been slowly buying some parts to modify the M2 ever since I got it in December and will finally get to drive the car tomorrow morning with most of the parts installed. I got a membership last year at the local track country club in Chicago (Autobahn) so this car will mostly be a track car plus driving to and from the track. Here is a list of parts that have been installed. Figured I should start a discussion since there has been a lot of different mod combinations being discussed recently and I should pitch in.

- Dinan intercooler
- Dinan resonator pipe delete
- Fabspeed catted downpipe
- Pure Turbo inlet pipe
- Evolution Racewerks oil cooler
- Evolution Racewerks charge pipes
- Eventuri intake

- M Performance coilovers
- Ground Control camber plates
- Dinan rear suspension links
- Dinan tension strut ball joint
- RKP corner braces

- AP Racing front BBK w/ Ferodo DS1.11 pads
- Ferodo DS1.11 rear pads
- Spiegler steel brake lines
- Castrol SRF brake fluid

All the parts have been installed except the brake related parts because I am still waiting for some stuff to arrive. Have setup an appointment early next week with ACF Performance to get the BM3 tune on my DME and then we will do a custom dyno tune for 93 octane. I did not have time to do a base dyno but will post the results after my dyno session on Wednesday. I believe the shop we will be at has a Mustang dynometer.

I am planning to stick with the stock wheels for now, but will be moving up to 255/35 and 275/35 sizes like the M3/M4. Right now I am undecided on whether I should go with the Bridgestone RE-71R or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. I have tracked with Michelin PSS tires before and they seemed fine for a few sessions but I have heard that they don't last very long on the track. Any input on this will be appreciated.

I also bought an Awron gauge for the car and will be installing it after I am done tuning the car. I am thinking a roll cage will be next and then maybe bigger turbos. What do you guys think?
No cage unless you are towing it to the track, disaster on road if you are in a collision. Schroch has a quick fit harness, I use one, or get race seats for better containment. How much power do you want? Drag strip more power I guess, but It will not be usable on a road course with any street tire or that suspension ( still a street oriented suspension). 400- 450 hp is about the limit you can use on stock suspension and street tires, without replacing them every track day.

my 235 is about 400 at wheel, used in a similar circumstance (not a daily), has at least 10k track miles. I run Maxxis rc1, similar to Nitto nt01, with slick tread pattern, throw the wheels in the backseat and swap at track. No cage, because I drive it to the track. Point of the car was I got tired of the trailer for track days.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
joseyu
Private First Class
Rep

Probably won't get the cage unless I end up storing the car at the track. I was looking at the Schroth harness and didn't see one specifically for the F8X M cars. Will the one for the E90 fit? After the tune, I am not sure if I ever need to go with the bigger turbos. 360 to 380 whp is probably what I am shooting for.

Just came back from a 50 mile drive with all the parts minus the brakes and I can say that the steering seems to be more responsive/sensitive, while the turn-in is more crisp. There is definitely more grip through a turn than before. Camber is currently set at -2.8 front and -2.5 rear. The ride is definitely stiffer, but we will need to calibrate that once the track opens in 6 weeks.

The turbo sound is really noticeable and I don't think I will be changing the exhaust. The downpipe, resonator delete and stock exhaust sounds pretty aggressive with plenty of pops and crackle. One thing to note about the oil cooler is that the piping that it comes with is slightly too short and causes a lot of rubbing so it maybe a point of failure in the future. It may be perfectly fine but my installer is very anal about stuff like this and recommended that we do some custom piping.

The car will be custom BM3 tuned on Wednesday and I should have more impressions by then.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 05:55 AM   #10
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Probably won't get the cage unless I end up storing the car at the track. I was looking at the Schroth harness and didn't see one specifically for the F8X M cars. Will the one for the E90 fit? After the tune, I am not sure if I ever need to go with the bigger turbos. 360 to 380 whp is probably what I am shooting for.

Just came back from a 50 mile drive with all the parts minus the brakes and I can say that the steering seems to be more responsive/sensitive, while the turn-in is more crisp. There is definitely more grip through a turn than before. Camber is currently set at -2.8 front and -2.5 rear. The ride is definitely stiffer, but we will need to calibrate that once the track opens in 6 weeks.

The turbo sound is really noticeable and I don't think I will be changing the exhaust. The downpipe, resonator delete and stock exhaust sounds pretty aggressive with plenty of pops and crackle. One thing to note about the oil cooler is that the piping that it comes with is slightly too short and causes a lot of rubbing so it maybe a point of failure in the future. It may be perfectly fine but my installer is very anal about stuff like this and recommended that we do some custom piping.

The car will be custom BM3 tuned on Wednesday and I should have more impressions by then.
Schroth Quickfit harnesses for the F80/82 fit the M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #11
chrispraeger
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

For more durable brake performance, you should think about brake cooling.

I think, that this here is the best product:
http://www.lightweight-titanauspuffa...mw-m2-f87.html
      02-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #12
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.praeger View Post

Excellent find!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #13
chrispraeger
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Excellent find!
      02-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #14
joseyu
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks! Do you have pictures of the installed product? Also, have you seen in the installation manual? I am wondering how much labor is involved with this.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #15
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Excellent find!
I bet this will fit your splitter perfectly. You got one from lightweight, right? How was that experience? your price compared to the listed price?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 11:24 PM   #16
chrispraeger
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Do you have pictures of the installed product? Also, have you seen in the installation manual? I am wondering how much labor is involved with this.
If you like, I can ask Marc Mueller (owner of Lightweight) directly due to your question. I know him personally.
      02-20-2017, 07:05 AM   #17
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sweden View Post
Quote:
Excellent find!
I bet this will fit your splitter perfectly. You got one from lightweight, right? How was that experience? your price compared to the listed price?
I do have the Lightweight splitter and I love it. Very simple but effective design. I placed an order inquiry and am awaiting a response. If anyone has additional information about this kit, I think it deserves a thread of its own because of its importance in track applications.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #18
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you like, I can ask Marc Mueller (owner of Lightweight) directly due to your question. I know him personally.
Please do!
Appreciate 0