BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Drove a manual BMW M2 with MPE today...

08-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Drove a manual BMW M2 with MPE today...

Finally after months of finding some time I went to a local dealer here in Prague - BMW Stratos Prosek - to drive a LBB BMW M2 Coupe with a manual gearbox and a MPE exhaust. Since I personally have a M-DCT and a stock exhaust soon to be replaced by an Akrapovic exhaust I wanted to hear the exhaust and find out how the manual drives.

First of all the exhaust, since we are in the exhaust section of the forum. The standard sound track is louder than stock (of course), more pronounced inside the cabin and definitely more sporty. The sound also fits to the ASD where another aftermarket kit would have difficulties with that. Simply because it is louder and the sound is coming from the outside it would not fit with the sound produced by the ASD. One of the reasons why I deleted the ASD on my car.

There is a lovely nice rumble in the MPE which gives it a lot nicer audio-able feedback than stock also while driving. While running through the different modes (including the hidden exhaust mode) it sounds a lot better than stock and pops and brubbles a lot more on throttle release.

I showed the sales person the hidden feature and initially he was not aware of it. He loved it and while driving through the city with the windows open it was a feast for the ears while listening to what came from the back. I also tried the remote control for the MPE which is stored in the cup holder, and I absolutely hated it. The set up of that remote is annoying. The light is hard to see, you never know if the exhaust is open or close, or least often you are guessing if it is open or close. Not a clear system at all IMO, but I only used for 30 minutes. Let's call it not intuitive.

Amazingly while driving and when the hidden exhaust mode was engaged (traction off), the soundtrack from the exhaust was less pronounced with the valve open than with the value closed. It was a noticeable difference. Not sure why that was, but it was different. In Sport mode it was the other way around.

Overall in my opinion the MPE is a great set up for those people that want more noise from the car since it fits to the internal sound design! It definitely gives you a better exhaust noise and it is a lot louder inside the cabin. The sound overall is louder and darker, but not annoyingly. It felt quite natural although it sometimes drones a slight bit (This can also be the ASD I am not used to anymore). Only thing I missed was a higher pitched soundtrack at higher revs, but that is something you can create with a downpipe.

From a nice exhaust to the manual, but first of all the seats! I had automatic seats in this M2, and you sit higher. I felt like sitting on top of a mountain in that thing, even though I moved the seats to the lowest position. The manual seats are lower, especially because I ride on the lowest setting in my car.

Then to the manual, what a wonderful box it is. The manual shifts brilliantly. I love how it changes gear and it involves the driver. The auto-blipping is something I absolutely hate. That is beyond annoying, especially because you cannot disengage it without going completely off on all safety systems. Not overly happy with that feature at all. Coding it out is the answer here. Other than that what a nice box, but I am really happy I choose a M-DCT.

The main surprise for me was the difference in character between the two cars. It is bigger than you think, especially if you own one. I never expected it but both feel so different to each other when you drive them back to back. The quicker responses you have with the DCT box versus the involvement of the shifter. I drove either car totally different, and that is remarkable while also great to see that the same car can have two different faces simply because it has a different box.

All in all a wonderful experience today, which allowed me to experience a manual M2 and one fitted with a MPE after driven three other cars before, all LBB and M-DCT by the way. Special thanks to BMW Stratos Prosek in Prague.

MR
Attached Images

Last edited by MR.; 08-16-2016 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 6
confusion601.00
Em-too279.50
AndrewC198910903.50
omasou2079.50
      08-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Great review! Indeed the MPE is a great addition to the M2!
      08-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Thanks for the info....
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 03:44 AM   #4
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Good to hear that you enjoyed the manual version. I've only driven the DCT version as the manual is not available for test drive. I've ordered the manual version as I've mainly owned manuals and the DCT was not engaging enough for me.

It's good to see that BMW still make drivers cars unlike Audi and Merc that only offer auto Dual clutch transmissions.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 05:03 AM   #5
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
Good to hear that you enjoyed the manual version. I've only driven the DCT version as the manual is not available for test drive. I've ordered the manual version as I've mainly owned manuals and the DCT was not engaging enough for me.

It's good to see that BMW still make drivers cars unlike Audi and Merc that only offer auto Dual clutch transmissions.
+1. To add to that Porsche do as well, but not at the M2's price point. That car is in a league of its own.
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 01:22 AM   #6
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Love the sound...
6MT with MPE(Ti tips, no CF diffuser)

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 4
Seagull287.50
njw58.00
AndrewC198910903.50
seis-speed2426.00
      02-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #7
jcompleto
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI, X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Love the sound...

Cheers
Robin
coooool.... thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #8
chrispraeger
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I think, that it is very hard - the question between a manual and the DCT.
I drove the DCT for about one week und the Manual only for a short trip.
And what should I say... The DCT is just perfect.
But do you really want such a perfect gearbox in a fun car - I think, that this is the main question.
For me the answer was clear. I ordered the Manual and I personally love the Rev Matching. It is those connection between the classic and the modern shifting world...
But I can understand everyone who is going for the DCT.
Especially in ordinary daily situations it is the gearbox, which gives the M2 a more wider spectrum.
      05-10-2017, 02:20 PM   #9
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Love the sound...

Cheers
Robin
Any rattle during cold starts? Drone? Things you aren't happy with?
Appreciate 0