BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Active Sound Design (ASD) topics

01-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #177
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Just bought an iphone 4s only for this one app. lol!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 10:49 PM   #178
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
That's entirely my point (this is part the reason I bypassed it) and judging by the responses to this thread is exactly what the people want. That theatre is what make them feel they're in a sports car.

Who said it was? Look at how many people post on here about 'what exhaust....' They are not interested in actual performance only the appearance of performance. They'd rather spend thousands of dollars/euro/sterling on parts that make noise and deliver zero gains than spend hundreds on actually being quicker....
I agree in general, but specifically about exhaust I can make an exception if necessary. A car that sounds like bolts rattling and rasping around in a bucket would bum me out daily. I'd pay to upgrade that, with or without a power bonus. Luckily, that is not an issue with the M2
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2017, 03:25 AM   #179
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_VIE View Post
Installed the harness some months ago, works fine with result as expected.

Last month mounted an Akra evolution exhaust and found out flaps do not close anymore, always open, in any drive mode at any engine temperature. Dealer checked installation several times and did not find any error in installation.

The final idea he had, was the harness might interfere the flaps control unit, which comes with the Akra exhaust system.

Anyone here with same configuration (Akra evolution & bypass harness) facing the same issue?

Thanks
No issue here...The flap is controlled by your drive mode selector. If that does not work correctly, then something is not properly installed.

I have an Awron display and I can close the value if required using that display but that is only needed when I am in sport, sport+ or traction noisy mode. In comfort mode it is closed and it does what it should do.

If you feel something is wrong then remove the ASD harness and test again. You can then easily see if it interferes or not. For me the set up is brilliant now, I have no complains whatsoever.

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #180
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

ASD bypass cable installed but unsure

Can anyone with the ASD harness installed tell me if you still here the hissing/faint noise when the stereo is off? I thought with the ASD installed there would be no hissing or noise through the speaker.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #181
NOLAGUY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

I don't hear a hiss
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #182
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGUY View Post
I don't hear a hiss
If you just have ignition on and have ready on then turn it off I can hear a noise as If the speakers are still active, maybe not a hiss but it sounds like they are still active. Do you hear this? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #183
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

The difference was bigger than I thought, but I'm still 2000% onboard getting rid of the ASD. It was "ok" during a spirited drive, but when I'm commuting to work, the drone (which is 95% from the ASD) is really annoying.

Oh and with the ASD, any recorded audio while you're on a cruise or at the track will sound like a video game car, thanks to the ASD. It's like the microphone picks up the ASD well but not the outside exhaust and engine noise. When I watch my go pro or dash cam video it sounds like a car in Grand Turismo.

Here's a video of my car revving with ASD bypass harness + M performance Exhaust + Dinan Stage 4:
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 04:40 AM   #184
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

I removed the fuse for the ASD today, after a 20 min drive i decided to put it back in. Was quite surprised at the difference but i actually prefer it with the ASD enabled. If i had an aftermarket exhaust i may have a different opinion though.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #185
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Been driving about a week with ASD off and I've decided I prefer it that way. Yes, it's quieter but you can also now hear what's going on outside of the car.
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      01-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #186
rjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Been driving about a week with ASD off and I've decided I prefer it that way. Yes, it's quieter but you can also now hear what's going on outside of the car.
+1 Been without for a week - not really missing anything, quieter during highway cruising, and more indication of what the mechanical are _actually_ doing
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      01-16-2017, 10:36 PM   #187
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

My amp died for 2 weeks my car was audioless; I am indifferent on ASD. Without it, the car was less dramatic than I thought ...and the only added benefit was mentioned above, less drone which allows you to hear rocks getting thrown at your rocker panels as your new ambient sound instead
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #188
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Been driving round for 3 weeks now with ASD Bypass fitted. Initially I wobbled, as I was immediately thinking I was missing the enhanced sounds - but now I see it clearer. I wasn't missing the sound, more I had just gotten used to it as ASD has been on since day one car pick up.

3 weeks on and I have now gotten used to the new sound and MUCH prefer it. Love the mechanical noises, can hear the turbo in action much better and as the guy mentioned a few posts back, a hell of a lot more of that nasty gravel whizzing away in my wheel wells.

Sport + mode & windows down (plus a tunnel if you're lucky enough) and all the great sounds and loveliness are right there with you.

For my new enhanced sounds I have a Fabspeed sport cat currently winging its way to me and will likely go for the new and improved MPE once released later this year too.

Last edited by BishUK; 01-17-2017 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #189
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
No but I have noticed a voltage drop
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #190
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Very nice BishUK I'm going for the Arka sport cat on the standard exhaust. I would be interest to hear the difference some time.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 12:56 AM   #191
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Installed the TechnicPnP ASD bypass harness yesterday, and it's a vast improvement.
The things I didn't like about ASD were all fixed:

1. The ASD sound was too loud and shrill in Sport and Sport+ mode above 2000 rpm.
2. With the window down, ASD and real exhaust were out of sync, creating a weird "echo" effect.
3. The HK system centered the ASD sound field in middle of the cabin, which was terribly unnatural.

Without ASD, the exhaust sound is still audible but no longer annoying. Yay.
And the sound comes from where it should: behind the car.

Installation note 1: The big Torx bolt (fastening the chrome tie-down ring) requires a T40 bit.
I didn't have that, so I just got the DeWalt "7 Star Bit Tip Set" for $7.00 at Ace.
Cheap thrills.

Installation note 2: Don't try to jam the trunk weatherstrip straight back down onto the edge of the sheet metal.
Give it strong downward pressure, but also vigorously "massage" it toward the front and back of the car with your palms.
This helps to work it downward and overcome the friction. After about 2 minutes there was no hump in the center.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)

Last edited by Bosozoku; 02-01-2017 at 01:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #192
BruceM
Major
Rep

So, what is the sound difference (in cockpit engine noise and audio from the HK) between coding out the ASD and installing a harness? And what is the difference in those two parameters between leaving ASD alone--on one hand--and ONLY coding it out, no harness--on the other?

I've got a coder showing up here soon and I'm wondering....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #193
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
So, what is the sound difference (in cockpit engine noise and audio from the HK) between coding out the ASD and installing a harness? And what is the difference in those two parameters between leaving ASD alone--on one hand--and ONLY coding it out, no harness--on the other?

I've got a coder showing up here soon and I'm wondering....
Plenty of posts about a slight hissing noise coming from the speakers after coding.
The music signal still passes through the ASD hardware after coding its output to zero.
And apparently the ASD electronics aren't as "hi-fi" as the rest of the audio system.

The TechnicPnP bypass harness removes the ASD electronics from the audio system.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 01:35 PM   #194
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
Plenty of posts about a slight hissing noise coming from the speakers after coding.
The music signal still passes through the ASD hardware after coding its output to zero.
And apparently the ASD electronics aren't as "hi-fi" as the rest of the audio system.

The TechnicPnP bypass harness removes the ASD electronics from the audio system.
Right, thanks. I was actually as interested in whether for engine noise in the cabin, there is a significant difference between coding it out and using the harness.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 01:23 PM   #195
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Right, thanks. I was actually as interested in whether for engine noise in the cabin, there is a significant difference between coding it out and using the harness.
Oops sorry. It was the "... and audio from the HK" that threw me off there.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #196
djmonkey
Rep
Drives: M2

I just coded this out and love it. If I want to hear the car I can roll down the windows. But for commuting why would anyone want a droning sound the whole time.

The best part is you can now hear the turbo and engine as well as the exhaust from the back of the car as opposed to just constant exhaust note in the cabin.

Sounds like things are even better with the actual bypass harness but not up for pulling the trunk apart at this point.

Highly recommend this move.

Down with fake news.
Appreciate 2
BruceM983.00
      02-08-2017, 03:48 PM   #197
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmonkey View Post
I just coded this out and love it. If I want to hear the car I can roll down the windows. But for commuting why would anyone want a droning sound the whole time.

The best part is you can now hear the turbo and engine as well as the exhaust from the back of the car as opposed to just constant exhaust note in the cabin.

Sounds like things are even better with the actual bypass harness but not up for pulling the trunk apart at this point.

Highly recommend this move.

Down with fake news.
Yes, I did it as well, and like the result. If you want more noise, there are a few things you can do to jack that up that actually involve reality
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 05:23 AM   #198
DelGriffith
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 SO M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishUK View Post
Been driving round for 3 weeks now with ASD Bypass fitted. Initially I wobbled, as I was immediately thinking I was missing the enhanced sounds - but now I see it clearer. I wasn't missing the sound, more I had just gotten used to it as ASD has been on since day one car pick up.

3 weeks on and I have now gotten used to the new sound and MUCH prefer it. Love the mechanical noises, can hear the turbo in action much better and as the guy mentioned a few posts back, a hell of a lot more of that nasty gravel whizzing away in my wheel wells.

Sport + mode & windows down (plus a tunnel if you're lucky enough) and all the great sounds and loveliness are right there with you.

+1
Took about a week to decide, but I love knowing what the car is actually doing, rather than hearing what the stereo tells me the car is doing. And getting rid of the highway drone...... priceless.
'17 F87 MG M2-Gone
'19 F87 SO M2C
Appreciate 0