BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > New TTRS v M2

02-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #67
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights View Post
By guessing what you mean = TT RS with same tune level as the m2 = audi is faster on track?
An tuned RS3 with 85HP more is almost 2s slower than a tuned M2.
Let's give the TT RS one second for free then

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #68
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

Cheers
Robin
M2 is 0-60 in 4.2, RS3 similar...

TT RS 3.5!

No wonder it beat the M3 comp package...tuning it, oh
Boy.... RS3 is much heavier and less dynamic...

Anxious for more track tests! Motor Trend, Top Gear, the new Amazon one...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #69
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights View Post
By guessing what you mean = TT RS with same tune level as the m2 = audi is faster on track?
Change ur name change ur sig
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #70
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
I detect a hint of VW bug when looking at the side profile. And yes, a nonexistent clutch pedal disqualifies it from my cross-shopping list.
I agree on the transmission, but is that supposed to be a diss if you think the TT looks like the bug? I think it looks great in the front but not good in the back and the style front to back don't match. I don't happen to care for the TT for various reasons and still trying to get an M2, but I also have a modified bug turbo that I like a lot thank you very much . You guys are too funny here. Everything sucks but the M2 unless something else is better/faster in some metric or another, and then you make excuses. Its fine to like what you like but no reason to try to justify it. Just enjoy it without dissing others choices. All the cars in discussion have their merits and there is no such thing as "Best", just a series of compromises that are "Best" for you, at this time, at your particular life circumstances. Myself, I'd like the M2 with the TTRS interior and engine, but since I can't get that, will have to have other compromises. If I could get an allocation I'd already have one, but shopping a used R8 right now while I wait... fate will decide.
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      02-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #71
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:

Cheers
Robin
Thats the old RS3, not the new one which has many improvements
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 03:23 PM   #72
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
I agree on the transmission, but is that supposed to be a diss if you think the TT looks like the bug? I think it looks great in the front but not good in the back and the style front to back don't match. I don't happen to care for the TT for various reasons and still trying to get an M2, but I also have a modified bug turbo that I like a lot thank you very much . You guys are too funny here. Everything sucks but the M2 unless something else is better/faster in some metric or another, and then you make excuses. Its fine to like what you like but no reason to try to justify it. Just enjoy it without dissing others choices. All the cars in discussion have their merits and there is no such thing as "Best", just a series of compromises that are "Best" for you, at this time, at your particular life circumstances. Myself, I'd like the M2 with the TTRS interior and engine, but since I can't get that, will have to have other compromises. If I could get an allocation I'd already have one, but shopping a used R8 right now while I wait... fate will decide.
The beetle is by me means a bad looking/poorly designed car. To me, IMO, it's a bit effeminate like the Rabbit. Take it with a grain of salt.

I like the front and rear of the TTRS. It's the profile that exudes bugginess; the entire cabin is one big dome, from the windshield back to the rear window. And those tiny rear rotors...buyers better hope that image was photoshopped.

I agree, we M2 owners are biased and sometimes unjustifiably so. The overall fun factor negates a lot of the shortcomings of the car. We know the TTRS is a faster straight line performer. But so is the M4, which I've driven. Guess which one I prefer. Guess which one "most" who've driven both, prefer.

There are two fundamental problems with Audi's driving dynamics the way I see it. One, they offer zero RWD models, the go-to drivetrain for high performance cars. Two, except for the supercar R8, the entire transverse mounted engine is positioned entirely in front of the axle whereby prohibiting balance, a top attribute of a fun, dynamically capable car.

My recommendation to you, as if you give two shits right, is to be patient awaiting an M2 allocation or, jump on an R8. Just make sure it has 3 pedals with a gated shifter.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      02-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #73
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
Quote:

Cheers
Robin
Thats the old RS3, not the new one which has many improvements
They tested the new one tuned by MTM with 502bhp.
You'd better go for a used R8.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #74
AWM235i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

I have to point out a couple things here.....as a current manual M4 owner...it is not the end all be all. It is fun to drive, but the DCT is amazing in its own right. You are not more "pure" or "manly" by driving older and slower technology. The owners on this forum get so biased against anything else its ridiculous. RWD cars are also not the end all be all. After driving my M4 for over a year theres one thing that annoys me daily...and thats "traction". The car handles like a dream and I love the looks, but having AWD would be amazing and allow me to put power down in more driving conditions and also be more safe. Not everyone wants to oversteer like a hooligan all over the place and if you point this out..somehow you don't know how to drive. The new tt-rs looks amazing as does the new tt in general for those who don't need that seat of the pants feeling of the car wanting to kill you if pushed hard.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #75
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM235i View Post
I have to point out a couple things here.....as a current manual M4 owner...it is not the end all be all. It is fun to drive, but the DCT is amazing in its own right. You are not more "pure" or "manly" by driving older and slower technology. The owners on this forum get so biased against anything else its ridiculous. RWD cars are also not the end all be all. After driving my M4 for over a year theres one thing that annoys me daily...and thats "traction". The car handles like a dream and I love the looks, but having AWD would be amazing and allow me to put power down in more driving conditions and also be more safe. Not everyone wants to oversteer like a hooligan all over the place and if you point this out..somehow you don't know how to drive. The new tt-rs looks amazing as does the new tt in general for those who don't need that seat of the pants feeling of the car wanting to kill you if pushed hard.
This is an interesting perspective - having had several RWD cars in a row, I have definitely gotten used to the way that RWD feels. And that feeling is really fun too. But I also like my mom's Mini Cooper S and my sister's GTI....so FWD can also be a blast. That being said, I am definitely RWD biased (and my other sister has a X1). I need a bigger garage.
      02-21-2017, 04:34 PM   #76
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM235i View Post
As reviews from all over indicate regularly, the M4 and the M2 do NOT handle similarly, especially at the limit. Yet they are both offered with an MT, and each have RWD. Neither of those characteristics is a problem, and in fact both of them are great, if the car is properly executed. The difference in the two cars relevant to this discussion is that the M2 is much easier to handle at the limit, with oversteer you can provoke, but that won't bite you in the ass once it happens. If that is a result of "older and slower technology," (even though on a tight course an M2 has been shown to be faster than an M4), then in this case I'm all for old and slow technology.

You don't need AWD to avoid the feeling you are talking about. You need a car that is properly balanced in all its capabilities at the limit.
Appreciate 2
No Boost4019.00
Robin_NL8679.50
      02-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #77
AWM235i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Point taken.... Im sure the M2 has better balance and I used to have ZF 8 speed M235i and loved it even without DCT. I went to M4 with manual and it tries to kill you and seems it needs wider and stickier tires. I guess I miss the off the line acceleration of the automatic, quicker gear shifts and able to keep 2 hands on wheel. I do see how the m2 seems more suited to manual than m4. I just see so many people ripping on automatics and it's not always warranted. I'm sure your having a blast with your M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 12:52 AM   #78
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

@ AWM235i I see you are from Florida.
Having had a Subaru Impreza GTT and Audi S3, I have to say we have a different climate and there is a difference between awd and awd. If it makes you feel safer, go for it. But the safety 'feel' of awd can't defy physics. But it can help you out in slippery/snowy/gravel conditions. Me being a rally/WRC fan all my life and growing up with Gr B overhere I know for decades awd is the key for those cars on snow/gravel circumstances. Seeing the mid engined 205T 16 beat the front heavy Quattro S1 broke my heart back ten. It really did. But hey , technology moves on. And Peugeot nailed it.

My point: There are many awd systems. The ones you see in WRC /Gr B have nothing to do with Quattro. A Subaru is not an Audi RS and a Nissan GTR is not a Veyron which is not a 991 Turbo S or an Aventador

But if it helps you feel safer in Florida who am I to say no
And yes i've driven the M4 DCT for three days and there are some traction issues I agree!

OK a nice video what 'real' awd technology can do and off course in terms of speed 2wd doesn't stand a chance. But I prefer a 037(last rwd car to win the WRC ever) or Delta S4 over this great stuff :
And mind you, a lot comes down to the TYRES used:

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0