BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Canadians: Pricing $61,000 - CONFIRMED

06-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #2355
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er View Post
I agree from BMW AG's perspective that they are charging more after exchange on the M2 sold in the US. Not sure if that directly translates to how much goes back to Germany - international trade is not my specialty and there are lots of variables.

BUT... from our perspective, salaries in Canada do not follow the exchange rate relative to the US. So we (on average) are paying more of our income for an M2, and again the MY2017ers are paying even more and not getting anything in return.

Then there is the difference in taxes and what we take home relative to the US.

Exchange rates are a funny thing. We shouldn't just compare them directly.
I agree... the exchange rate argument is simply one way of comparing. The sad truth is Canadians pay more (relative to their incomes) than the US on most all cars.

The M4 also went up and also didn't really add anything but, regardless, the bottom line is there are disappointed people and it is understandable. The good news, however, is the car will be amazing when it arrives whether someone paid $61,000 or $63,000 and it will be well worth the investment

Here's another angle... If you sold your car in 2 years, it is a model year newer than mine even though many 17's will only be a month or two newer. Resale will be better
But US gets a better service plan too... Still worth a couple of hundreds there also. To me, the price bump is not justified as there is no value added for a MY17 vs a MY16... It's marketing 101: you add features, you can charge more. Poor job of BMW Canada in this case!
      06-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #2356
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er View Post
I agree from BMW AG's perspective that they are charging more after exchange on the M2 sold in the US. Not sure if that directly translates to how much goes back to Germany - international trade is not my specialty and there are lots of variables.

BUT... from our perspective, salaries in Canada do not follow the exchange rate relative to the US. So we (on average) are paying more of our income for an M2, and again the MY2017ers are paying even more and not getting anything in return.

Then there is the difference in taxes and what we take home relative to the US.

Exchange rates are a funny thing. We shouldn't just compare them directly.
I agree... the exchange rate argument is simply one way of comparing. The sad truth is Canadians pay more (relative to their incomes) than the US on most all cars.

The M4 also went up and also didn't really add anything but, regardless, the bottom line is there are disappointed people and it is understandable. The good news, however, is the car will be amazing when it arrives whether someone paid $61,000 or $63,000 and it will be well worth the investment

Here's another angle... If you sold your car in 2 years, it is a model year newer than mine even though many 17's will only be a month or two newer. Resale will be better
But US gets a better service plan too... Still worth a couple of hundreds there also. To me, the price bump is not justified as there is no value added for a MY17 vs a MY16... It's marketing 101: you add features, you can charge more. Poor job of BMW Canada in this case!
Correction: the US used to get a better plan.

Now they have essentially the same as us, but only 3 years instead of 4.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:20 PM   #2357
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Correction: the US used to get a better plan.

Now they have essentially the same as us, but only 3 years instead of 4.
That's right... their price stayed the same and they lost something fairly valuable.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #2358
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
Just got a screen shot of my order:
Option ZTV (smart phone) still shows:
- wifi hotspot
- wireless
- car play

More confusion!?!
just touched base with SA again to check his sources and he personally spoke with someone at BMW Canada today about this...no ZTV option. But i believe you have a later build Benzima...maybe you are in the clear? WHo knows if its all of MY17 that will go without or just the first few months etc..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #2359
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I hear you for sure.

However, the M3/4 price went up this year too and no real changes. It is pretty normal for price creap on cars. The M2 increase is larger than normal... likely because of supply/demand and a lower initial price. There doesn't have to be "value add" there simply has to be demand exceeding supply for prices to increase. Look at oil. Look at many other market goods... when supply does not meet demand, prices increase.

I think marketing 101 still applies... demand WAY in excess of supply means you can raise the price and still sell every unit you can build. We might hate it as a consumer but any intelligent company would do the same.

Again, my view is the failure is on managing expectations, transparency of info and communication. Had they gotten that right, it would be different.

For example, if BMW said this early on...

"Initial M2's will be released at a lower introductory price. However, production will be very limited and therefore availability will be challenged. For the 2017's to be released in July, there will be a modest price increase to reflect market demand and available capacity to build cars. If you ordered early but were unable to get a 2016 car, you will fall into the 2017 pricing model and features (to be determined)."

If this was what BMW was officially saying (through their dealers) then I don't think people would have been as bothered... they would have understood the process, the limited availability and the expected increase. The problem is there is bad info, conflicting info, no info and just poor communication.

Last edited by gthal; 06-21-2016 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #2360
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
That's right... their price stayed the same and they lost something fairly valuable.
USA is only 3 years but it still includes brake jobs etc IIRC...we just get 'lubed'...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #2361
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
USA is only 3 years but it still includes brake jobs etc IIRC...we just get 'lubed'...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #2362
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
Actually, you are in the wrong. They lost the big items: brakes, clutch and wiper blades.

EDIT: don't mind the text over at the bottom, it was a quick screen cap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-21-2016, 03:32 PM   #2363
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Actually, you are in the wrong. They lost the big items: brakes, clutch and wiper blades.

Essentially the same as ours but shorter.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #2364
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Essentially the same as ours but shorter.
Yep, same as ours but one less year. Suck it America!
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 03:38 PM   #2365
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo
Quote:
- wifi hotspot
- wireless
- car play

More confusion!?!
just touched base with SA again to check his sources and he personally spoke with someone at BMW Canada today about this...no ZTV option. But i believe you have a later build Benzima...maybe you are in the clear? WHo knows if its all of MY17 that will go without or just the first few months etc..
When is your build?
      06-21-2016, 03:56 PM   #2366
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I hear you for sure.

However, the M3/4 price went up this year too and no real changes. It is pretty normal for price creap on cars. The M2 increase is larger than normal... likely because of supply/demand and a lower initial price. There doesn't have to be "value add" there simply has to be demand exceeding supply for prices to increase. Look at oil. Look at many other market goods... when supply does not meet demand, prices increase.

I think marketing 101 still applies... demand WAY in excess of supply means you can raise the price and still sell every unit you can build. We might hate it as a consumer but any intelligent company would do the same.

Again, my view is the failure is on managing expectations, transparency of info and communication. Had they gotten that right, it would be different.

For example, if BMW said this early on...

"Initial M2's will be released at a lower introductory price. However, production will be very limited and therefore availability will be challenged. For the 2017's to be released in July, there will be a modest price increase to reflect market demand and available capacity to build cars. If you ordered early but were unable to get a 2016 car, you will fall into the 2017 pricing model and features (to be determined)."

If this was what BMW was officially saying (through their dealers) then I don't think people would have been as bothered... they would have understood the process, the limited availability and the expected increase. The problem is there is bad info, conflicting info, no info and just poor communication.
P.S. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to be argumentative here and hope I'm not coming across that way.

I absolutely get the disappointment. I just believe there needs to be a separation of the "disappointment" with the business and commercial reality. The disappointment is valid and real... I would feel it too. However, I would also evaluate the car purchase decision based on the value of the car, on the whole, compared to my other options. In that case, the M2 is a great value IMO. Also, I would understand the business rational of the increase.

It doesn't make the increase feel better but I think there is a need to separate the emotion of the disappointment (which includes the communication mishaps) with the business end of it. The overall value of the car, understanding the supply/demand constraints, etc.

Is it weird that I quoted myself
Don't worry! I totally understand the business decision. I am more disappointed in the communications from BMW Canada.

I know the M2 is a great value and I will keep my order (note: the M2 performs similarly to the M4, which is still 16k$ more!!!)

I will learn from this experience. I am not worried because I know the M2 will meet the expectations as the 1M did. I hope BMW will also learn from this too!

PS: my order still shows ZTV
      06-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #2367
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

I wonder why all the speculation and yes and then no and then yes. So odd they can't confirm the software. I know when I was in a couple weeks ago and we were going through my build sheet the dct and the sunroof and the apple car play were all listed. I'm not sure what the 6NS item above you guys are reffering to or the ztv. Sorry i'm a little out of the loop on the acronyms.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #2368
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2
I wonder why all the speculation and yes and then no and then yes. So odd they can't confirm the software. I know when I was in a couple weeks ago and we were going through my build sheet the dct and the sunroof and the apple car play were all listed. I'm not sure what the 6NS item above you guys are reffering to or the ztv. Sorry i'm a little out of the loop on the acronyms.
ZTV is the smart phone code for MY17.
6NS was for MY16.
      06-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #2369
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
ZTV is the smart phone code for MY17.
6NS was for MY16.
ok great, thanks for letting me know. My order screen at BMW still shows the ztv then with the language 'apple car play'. As far as they know its being offered on MY17's. There really seems to be a lack of communication from BMW Canada out to its dealers.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #2370
vugz10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BB6 Prelude, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
ok great, thanks for letting me know. My order screen at BMW still shows the ztv then with the language 'apple car play'.
As does mine with my dealer but not with BMW Canada. Maybe they just need to refresh their system once MY17s start production
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #2371
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
I know the M2 is a great value and I will keep my order (note: the M2 performs similarly to the M4, which is still 16k$ more!!!)
I am looking at the purchase decision based on what is available (MY2017 pricing) and am still going forward. Doesn't mean I can't whine about it (what we missed out on) in the meantime

... and to answer your question, gthal... Yes, it is weird you are quoting yourself!
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #2372
///Mē
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
- wifi hotspot
- wireless
- car play

More confusion!?!
Does it show option 609 ?? idrive 5.0, i bet it does!
      06-21-2016, 07:38 PM   #2373
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
When is your build?
Last week of July
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 07:57 PM   #2374
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

A bit of good news on my end: was taking to my parts guy to get a few MPerf bits ordered and my car actually finished being built 16/06, pretty much a week before it was due.

Now to get it on a boat...
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 08:08 PM   #2375
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for correcting me. Being misinformed is par for the course around here

What you guys think service pkg is actually worth?

For me, as a non daily...prob less than $2k over 4 years.
What's a BMW oil change cost?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #2376
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
A bit of good news on my end: was taking to my parts guy to get a few MPerf bits ordered and my car actually finished being built 16/06, pretty much a week before it was due.

Now to get it on a boat...
Nice! hopefully you catch an earlier boat.
Appreciate 0