BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Mesh grill inserts/protectors?

09-27-2019, 07:25 PM   #23
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshkin View Post
I just bought some aluminium mesh on ebay for not very much, then trimmed it to fit and attached with small zip ties from the back.

I don't have photos to hand, but here is my instagram post about it: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwtkxW-DuI7/
Can you share the link? Also do they rust?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 07:27 AM   #24
einauslander
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 AW 6MT Exec

Had my detail guy source a sturdy screen from the local hardware store. He screwed it into the support frame to avoid rattles.

There is an added visual benefit; it minimizes the diagonal support brace from showing through the kidneys.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #25
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by einauslander View Post
Had my detail guy source a sturdy screen from the local hardware store. He screwed it into the support frame to avoid rattles.

There is an added visual benefit; it minimizes the diagonal support brace from showing through the kidneys.
Did he also do the lower ones on the sides? If so, I'm curious how he mounted the screen.

I have some screen/mesh material similar to what you have but in black plastic that I ordered before my M2C arrived. I still haven't had the time to install it though...seems like a good project for winter when there's a foot of snow on the ground.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #26
einauslander
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 AW 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Economatic View Post
Did he also do the lower ones on the sides? If so, I'm curious how he mounted the screen.

I have some screen/mesh material similar to what you have but in black plastic that I ordered before my M2C arrived. I still haven't had the time to install it though...seems like a good project for winter when there's a foot of snow on the ground.
Sorry - missed this post. I want to do the lower openings as well. I have not had a chance to take the car back to the shop yet. Will let you know what they suggest.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #27
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition & '18 X1

Garage List
Thinking about doing this modification today. I have 3x6mm rhombic openings on the mesh I purchased. I'm worried this might restrict airflow a little bit more than I intended. Any thoughts/recommendations?
Thanks!
      06-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #28
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I was considering this in front of the rad away from the grill and maybe painting it black.

Or at a minimum using it to protect the oil cooler

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Nomex...-31,29469.html
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 06:25 PM   #29
Dark-Yoda
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BSM M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
I was considering this in front of the rad away from the grill and maybe painting it black.

Or at a minimum using it to protect the oil cooler

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Nomex...-31,29469.html
this looks ideal; although airflow is a concern, it looks very tight. It kinda looks like what the gt3rs gets. i would definitely be interested in this mesh if it works/ doesnt restrict airflow enough to effect cooling.

I live in the sw US and we have a fair amount of gravel on our roads.. Enough for me to be worried at only 6500 miles. I already have a few smashed fins
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 08:39 PM   #30
jdubm2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Does anyone know what they used for the M2CS Racing, or maybe how to source a kit?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-15-2020, 10:40 PM   #31
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

I just got a Mishimoto heat exchanger (to be installed next week), and it comes with a mesh guard. Should help a bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #32
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
https://cdn.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1559619662

This car sees a lot of track duty and the lower cooling fins were trashed so after puttting in my new FMIC I did this DIY project with stainless mesh.
How did you attach the mesh? (Hard to see in the pics)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 03:25 PM   #33
JoeP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I went onto McMaster Carr and ordered a sample kit of stainless mesh of various sizes. I wanted to look at the actual open area and the rigidity of the various mesh options. I want it to be pretty rigid to stop a small object well but still be form-able to fit right. I think they have what I want so I just need to order the full size sheet now and fit it up.

What I'm looking at reduces the area about 26% which admittedly is a good amount. However, the way I look at it is if I can keep all my cooling fins in good order that 26% is all the more I will ever loose. If I compromise on the mesh open area and let more debris in then I am effectively lowering the open area by damaging cooling fins anyway and the problem could become much worse.

If I find the cooling insufficient then I will open it up some more. Not too difficult.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #34
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_550 View Post
How did you attach the mesh? (Hard to see in the pics)
Name:  CF09D0D4-069E-4EF4-936B-914C77CFC47F.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  324.3 KB
Several black zip ties
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #35
TDrover
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

wonder if it will be possible to order an M2CS Racing mesh from a dealer that supports the customer racing program?

06-29-2020, 03:00 PM   #36
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I went onto McMaster Carr and ordered a sample kit of stainless mesh of various sizes. I wanted to look at the actual open area and the rigidity of the various mesh options. I want it to be pretty rigid to stop a small object well but still be form-able to fit right. I think they have what I want so I just need to order the full size sheet now and fit it up.

What I'm looking at reduces the area about 26% which admittedly is a good amount. However, the way I look at it is if I can keep all my cooling fins in good order that 26% is all the more I will ever loose. If I compromise on the mesh open area and let more debris in then I am effectively lowering the open area by damaging cooling fins anyway and the problem could become much worse.

If I find the cooling insufficient then I will open it up some more. Not too difficult.
Which one did you end up going with?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #37
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

My Mishimoto heat exchanger has a grill guard on the front of it.

It would be nice if there was a source for grill guards that fit over the radiators (esp. the outboard ones in my case). It might work better than trying to figure out how to mount grill guards to the interior of the bumper.

Just my 0.03.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 11:02 AM   #38
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Recommend a radiator comb instead.
Which radiator comb would you recommend to be able to reach through the grill and access the heat exchanger on the M2C?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #39
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
Which radiator comb would you recommend to be able to reach through the grill and access the heat exchanger on the M2C?
I haven't done it on the M2C yet, but on my last car I just removed the plastic grill to access the radiator. Few bolts on the bumper cover up top need to removed, you can bend the cover back a bit, scape up your arm and reach the clips to the grill.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 09:19 PM   #40
papibigred
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 BMW, M2C; ‘18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post

What mesh size did you opt for? Been looking myself...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #41
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

It only took me about a year and a half to get around to this project but I finally finished it last night...

I originally got some ABS mesh that wasn't fine enough to do much so I procrastinated a long time. Covid boredom got me so I've been doing all kinds of random projects and this was one of them. I'm happy with the result--I think it looks like how the car should have come from the factory with the powder coated aluminum hexagonal mesh. The only downside is if you look really closely you can spot a couple of my zip ties. It's worth the protection though.

If anyone decides to go this DIY route, look at the photo Twt shared with how the mesh is trimmed in the lower middle section. It can't overlap at all or the bumper won't slide back into place.

The bad...now I noticed the bumper doesn't line up perfectly with the hood perfectly. I can see from pictures I took the day I picked up the car it has always been that way but now it can't be unseen.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 09:25 AM   #42
Tano
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Today i had the opportunity to install the Zunsport grilles. The installation procedure was quite easy and can be done in a short time. The fitment is perfect and i think the look is also great with the smaller holes.
Attached Images

12-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #43
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tano View Post
Today i had the opportunity to install the Zunsport grilles. The installation procedure was quite easy and can be done in a short time. The fitment is perfect and i think the look is also great with the smaller holes.
How do they attach? Do you have to drill?

I looked them up on the inter webs, but only saw Porsche grills.
      12-11-2020, 03:15 PM   #44
jdubm2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Here is the link to their various grills. Looks intriguing, but not sure how to get them in the states.

https://www.zunsport.com/us/product/all
Appreciate 0