BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Who's gonna be the first to install M2C mirrors on OG M2?

09-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #45
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I just ordered these. $369.22 USD shipped. This is the type I've been waiting for, and I had a feeling someone would eventually make them. I took a chance and ordered them before they sold out. I know they will. Installation will be a little more involved from the looks of it, and I expected that, but worth it IMO. Props to member Aboen who snuck this link in on another post on the forum, in the cosmetic mod area.

https://autoid.uk.com/products/autoi...ng-mirror-unit
This looks very nice and promising. Great option for our OGM2. Please do a DIY if u can. Your price though looks like a lot more than what’s posted at 199 euro.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #46
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
I just ordered these. $369.22 USD shipped. This is the type I've been waiting for, and I had a feeling someone would eventually make them. I took a chance and ordered them before they sold out. I know they will. Installation will be a little more involved from the looks of it, and I expected that, but worth it IMO. Props to member Aboen who snuck this link in on another post on the forum, in the cosmetic mod area.

That's not bad at all. Keep us posted as to how they actually look compared to the +19 mirrors that are stock. Not sure I'd do it still but it's nice to know there's a good option for those that want it.
      09-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #47
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Quote:

I ordered a set myself - Black for my llb
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 10:23 AM   #48
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyM2 View Post
This looks very nice and promising. Great option for our OGM2. Please do a DIY if u can. Your price though looks like a lot more than what’s posted at 199 euro.
Price up a bit for custom colors

Was told Autoid DIY vid coming soon
Appreciate 1
qnet681.50
      09-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #49
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Yeah, the price is more for a customized color option, but still not bad IMO. The OEM mirrors are still a little more contour, but these look like the best and closest solution for OG M2 owners without replacing the entire assembly. Time will tell how they compare, and I & Aboen will be one of the first guinea pigs to see how it looks LOL.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #50
PAC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

no lbb?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #51
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0YS View Post
no lbb?
You have to specify the color you want if it's not shown.
Appreciate 1
PAC63.00
      09-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #52
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Yeah, the price is more for a customized color option, but still not bad IMO. The OEM mirrors are still a little more contour, but these look like the best and closest solution for OG M2 owners without replacing the entire assembly. Time will tell how they compare, and I & Aboen will be one of the first guinea pigs to see how it looks LOL.
Can't wait to see them.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #53
fryh1n
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
@andrewc89 pretty much nailed it. I just add one thing - despite of the thinner and wider look, the mirror part of M mirror is exactly the same as 1/2/3/4 series and M2, which means same visibility.

Given the bolt on installation, it's a must do in my opinion.
I would have guessed the visibility would be better, since the back side of the mirror has this curvy cutout.
The current mirrors are too bulky and squarish, which blocks the center divide island/curb when making a left turn.

For me, there is no reason to change to this mirror if visibility is not improved.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 06:22 PM   #54
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryhin View Post

I would have guessed the visibility would be better, since the back side of the mirror has this curvy cutout.
The current mirrors are too bulky and squarish, which blocks the center divide island/curb when making a left turn.

For me, there is no reason to change to this mirror if visibility is not improved.
If you want better visibility you can always buy some OEM european aspherical wide angle mirror glass. Not cheap at $325 a set but if they help prevent just one accident then they pretty much pay for themselves.

You can purchase them and get more info here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1515615

Ind also sells them for the M2C/M3/M4 but they're a little more expensive ($450)
      09-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #55
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

The pictures of the real thing suggest that it's the same mirror with a different shell. Is this not the case?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 05:09 PM   #56
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
The pictures of the real thing suggest that it's the same mirror with a different shell. Is this not the case?
Yes, from my understanding - from reading the description - it's the same mirror and the shell (base, back and front) are changed. It looks like basic size of the OEM shell is the same, they just designed it to look as close to the M mirror style as possible.

I've looked at the M mirrors on the M3/4 and always thought this would be possible. I even toyed with the idea of trying to design it myself, but I'm glad AutoID did. I knew/hoped if I was thinking about it, some company who does this type of stuff had to be also. I like the original mirror caps, but always that they could be done a little better.

Last edited by qnet; 09-10-2018 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #57
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure what qnet is talking about but no, it isn't the case.

The entire housing and glass of the M2C/M3/M4 mirrors have a different shape and design. It's a completely different part from the standard M2 mirror. It isn't just a different outer back shell like the knock off replacement caps that people are selling. Not sure why so many people are having a difficult time grasping that. Maybe it's hard to tell from photos but I assure you in person there's no mistaking the two for one another. The standard mirrors are short and square shaped and the REAL m mirrors are much longer and more rectangular looking.
Appreciate 3
SeanWRT3179.00
BAN_M2C4180.00
      09-10-2018, 09:56 PM   #58
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post

The entire housing and glass of the M2C/M3/M4 mirrors have a different shape and design. It's a completely different part from the standard M2 mirror. It isn't just a different outer back shell like the knock off replacement caps that people are selling. Not sure why so many people are having a difficult time grasping that. Maybe it's hard to tell from photos but I assure you in person there's no mistaking the two for one another. The standard mirrors are short and square shaped and the REAL m mirrors are much longer and more rectangular looking.
I thought he was talking about the new mirror cases the AutoID made. I got caught up in the conversation about those and didn't realize he was asking about the original M3/M4/M2C mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 12:02 AM   #59
fryh1n
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
If you want better visibility you can always buy some OEM european aspherical wide angle mirror glass. Not cheap at $325 a set but if they help prevent just one accident then they pretty much pay for themselves.

You can purchase them and get more info here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1515615

Ind also sells them for the M2C/M3/M4 but they're a little more expensive ($450)
what i meant was the current side mirrors make it difficult to locate the center divide/island when making a left turn, because it's so "thick" and bulky, it blocks the view of the road.
If they were to have those triangular glass piece similar to the prius... then visibility will be better, but would make the car ugly.
It's a trivial thing, but it really annoys me that everytime I make a left turn, I have to either sit up, or lean forward just to make sure I don't hit the center divide/island; and some islands are really squarish without a good radius...

That's why when I first saw the M2C mirror, i thought the curvy cut out at the back of the housing is for better visibility of the road.

EDIT: after looking at the photos on the first page, I really think these mirrors would give better view of the road when you turn left, can anyone comment on this?
How did you guys source these out right now? through your local dealership?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 12:13 AM   #60
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryhin View Post
what i meant was the current side mirrors make it difficult to locate the center divide/island when making a left turn, because it's so "thick" and bulky, it blocks the view of the road.
I see what you're saying now. Can't say I have that problem. Maybe you need to adjust your seating height/position.
      09-15-2018, 12:52 AM   #61
babym2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 6MT

does anyone know of a place with usa shipping that sells m2c oem mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 05:07 AM   #62
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:

Just looked more closely at the part numbers and you are correct - it appears the M mirrors use parts from the 3/4 series range. I'm still wondering about the mechanism and mount though.

Also - as an aside - does the shape help keep the side window clear at speed on wet days?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #63
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Just looked more closely at the part numbers and you are correct - it appears the M mirrors use parts from the 3/4 series range. I'm still wondering about the mechanism and mount though.

Also - as an aside - does the shape help keep the side window clear at speed on wet days?
its funny, because on realoem, it states the mirror is the same part number, but in photos its evident they are different parts- M4's tapering a lot more for that slimmer look

a mistake on realoem would be my guess
      09-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #64
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Already did. A couple of us. Here is one. Not my car though.

The paint matching color would be better in my opinion.

where do you get those mirror caps?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #65
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:

if only thats available like carbon fibre look

im looking to get sovers that look like this

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #66
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Quote:
Already did. A couple of us. Here is one. Not my car though.

The paint matching color would be better in my opinion.

where do you get those mirror caps?
BMW