BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Aftermarket Carbon Fiber Lips

08-22-2020, 04:36 AM   #1
kyubiii
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m2c

Aftermarket Carbon Fiber Lips

Hi all, I am in the process of looking for a carbon fiber front lip for my car and was wondering if it is common to have aftermarket carbon fiber lips be made of another material ie abs/polyurethane with carbon fiber overlay?

I reached out to a company selling a cs replica carbon fiber front lip made in taiwan was told that its common for replica carbon fiber front lips to be made this way from Taiwan. I was also told that it's more functional in that the lip can handle more scraping/impact than a lip thats full carbon fiber.

Being that the aftermarket lip isn't exactly inexpensive and appears to look pretty good with good fitment, I just wanted to know if this was actually common to have a mix of carbon fiber and another material in aftermarket "carbon fiber" parts?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
It's called CFRP, and I wouldn't say it's "common" but it is done. The seller you spoke to is telling the truth though, it's typically a bit more durable than just straight CF.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 09:04 AM   #3
kyubiii
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the response, should these lips be priced lower than full carbon fiber lips?
The seller also mentioned that most of the aftermarket full carbon fiber lips are made in China and fitment can vary significantly.
I also want to take into consideration resale value if I ever sell the car and decide to part out. Given fitment being the same, would this type of lip be worth considerably less than a full carbon fiber lip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
It's called CFRP, and I wouldn't say it's "common" but it is done. The seller you spoke to is telling the truth though, it's typically a bit more durable than just straight CF.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

did you pay under $1k? If yes then you got what you paid for. Nothing to complain about.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
CFRP is regular carbon that we all know. The plastic polymer is the resin that's used to bond the carbon fiber sheets.

It's not the same as what OP is asking. Which is a abs/polyurethane lip with a carbon veneer.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
kyubiii
Private First Class
Rep

I have not purchased the lip yet, I'm asking necessary questions to make an informed decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
did you pay under $1k? If yes then you got what you paid for. Nothing to complain about.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #7
kyubiii
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
It's not the same as what OP is asking. Which is a abs/polyurethane lip with a carbon veneer.
Yes indeed, the seller said it is abs covered in carbon fiber.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 12:05 PM   #8
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubiii View Post
I have not purchased the lip yet, I'm asking necessary questions to make an informed decision.
Got it. It is a common thing for cheaper and more affordable replica carbon fiber parts. There's many different CF manufacturing techniques. In the end all that matters is fit and finish for things that are cosmetic.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #9
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

That's how Lightweight does it. Same durable hard plastic base with CF overlay. Unfortunately the CF weave is smaller than OEM M-Performance bits so it doesn't match perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #10
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:
CFRP is regular carbon that we all know. The plastic polymer is the resin that's used to bond the carbon fiber sheets.

Ah. TIL!

Thanks for the clarification.
Appreciate 0