BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > O.M.F.G – what I know after 2 days and ~200mi

10-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #1
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

O.M.F.G – what I know after 2 days and ~200mi

In short the car is a dream. It's insanely fun to drive. I would have paid more than the 2K I did to get it especially since I don’t have to wait 3-4 months to get it. I took delivery on tuesday and to be candid I was a bit concerned. The car seemed very tight, brakes overly sensitive, manual was tough to row, ride quite firm, etc. I went up beverly glen, left on mulholland and down benedict canyon to BH. Well known LA roads for driving. anyone that has driven that canyon knows there is off-camber hard left partway down. The car came unglued and me along with it. Tires had ~30mi on them so it could have been partly that or man that rear end is kind of finicky in certain circumstances. My heart rate was not normal for hours after that. Crazy. Anyhow, the sucker has enormous grip and corners quite flat and neutral. Engine has gobs of power and torque. Geared much higher in 5/6 then the S5.

Now after getting some miles into it the brakes are MUCH better and it is starting to shift better as well. For LA roads I can see that comfort mode is going to be the norm and that is fine as it’s about the same as the S5 in dynamic. Sport is crazy fun – have not tied sport+ yet.

I like a lot about this car, in no particular order;

Front seats are very comfortable – I am 6’ / 195# normally proportioned. Seats are very adjustable, both lumbar and bolsters. Seats adjust low, they go far back and there is tons of headroom for even a 25+ year old ultra-stout arai
Attention to detail in the cabin is abundant; seating to wheel position is excellent for me
Love the right side knee pad
Love auto dimming high beams
Love that both mirrors can retract and FAST
Windshield wipers are much improved over the S5 – very refined movement
Headlights are bright and the pattern and throw are perfect imo
Steering input seems good enough – nothing glaringly wrong to me
Audio seems fine – need to play with it more
Having email/sms display on the screen is a fantastic
Having tires pressures display is handy
Love that I don’t have to shop for wheels – these are good looking imo and a snap to clean
Glad that I don’t have to buy pilots as my first expense. These are by far my favorite road tires – have them on the 997 and the S5

I don’t like;

The daytime illumination on the gauges
The right and left side temps will not hold the identical temp settings

The wireless charger in the well. What I don’t understand is why not use a fast charger that is backwards compatible and why not make the cradle 1-2cm longer – there is plenty of room and more to accommodate any device. And the lack of a 12V plug there is just plain dumb yet they put one in the trunk – why, what am I missing here? Sorry for the rant but this is just lame. I am taking out the cradle, installing a mat and running an adapter into the well

Did the 2016 at least have a 12V plug in there?

Just got the car back - 35% nano carbon ceramic tint – amazing material, I am going back to get a clear sheet for the front window.

Now here is the kicker – apparently I got the car from a gentleman that is very trusting of people. He had a verbal agreement with a dealer at a certain price. When it came time to get the car they apparently wanted more than the agreed upon cost. This is what caused the car to become available and for me to get it the other day. We have been exchanging pms and today he bought the car that I had purchased and cancelled. That’s right – I got his and he got mine. You cannot make this stuff up folks lol.

Sorry for any typos or grammar, new laptop

M2LA
Attached Images

Appreciate 16
AlexCirci496.50
BAN_M2C4180.00
ric124452.00
No Boost4021.00
Bosozoku693.50
1M Tex240.00
Chuck W.356.00
D CHOI581.00
M2OG400.00
amdmaxx119.00
      10-20-2016, 07:36 PM   #2
rosky1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

You are right about strange things you cant make up. Did PCD Wed. For my LBB M2, and the guy that sold me my 1M 4 years ago was there getting his LBB M2 on its return from euro delivery. SMALL WORLD INDEED!
Appreciate 3
Bosozoku693.50
CrashFL137.50
      10-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #3
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Thanks for the write up!

Haven't tried Sport+ yet??? You are in for a nice treat once you do try it and even more fun after the break in
Appreciate 1
1M Tex240.00
      10-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #4
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosky1 View Post
You are right about strange things you cant make up. Did PCD Wed. For my LBB M2, and the guy that sold me my 1M 4 years ago was there getting his LBB M2 on its return from euro delivery. SMALL WORLD INDEED!
oh come on, really? that is incredible. what happened to the 1M. that is the car that inspired my purchase really - well that and audi not having sticks anymore
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #5
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
Thanks for the write up!

Haven't tried Sport+ yet??? You are in for a nice treat once you do try it and even more fun after the break in
thx, just testing out the laptop + been busy working + trying to break it in the right way. going to santa barbara this weekend to hopefully put a dent in the miles in the hills. I need a few hours to just set up the car then i will mess around with it more. need to get that phone sorted stat. inspector is coming out to look at the S5 lease return tomorrow, nervous!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

" rear end is kind of finicky in certain circumstances " - while this actually IS true.. the real key is you were horsing around in a car and didn't even have the release mold off the tires yet..
Appreciate 4
IS+1239.50
1M Tex240.00
      10-20-2016, 09:01 PM   #7
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
" rear end is kind of finicky in certain circumstances " - while this actually IS true.. the real key is you were horsing around in a car and didn't even have the release mold off the tires yet..
point taken and I am never going to make that mistake again
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 10:03 PM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Don't forget to play with "COMFORT" + 1 click on the "DSC OFF" button to go into "Burble Mode" when cruisin' around.
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1277527
      10-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #9
Zippster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Don't forget to play with "COMFORT" + 1 click on the "DSC OFF" button to go into "Burble Mode" when cruisin' around.
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1277527
Is that the hidden setting?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #10
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
The wireless charger in the well. What I don’t understand is why not use a fast charger that is backwards compatible and why not make the cradle 1-2cm longer – there is plenty of room and more to accommodate any device.

Agreed. I'm confused buy this too.

And the lack of a 12V plug there is just plain dumb yet they put one in the trunk – why, what am I missing here?

There is a fast charge USB plug in there why do you need a 12V that you have to adapt to USB to charge the phone?

MY 2017
6NW Wireless Charging, including 6WD Wifi Hotspot is now available. This option also includes and an additional USB outlet with up to 2.1 Amp charging current, allowing for faster smartphone charging.

Last edited by omasou; 10-21-2016 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippster View Post
Is that the hidden setting?
No longer for you if you briefly press the 'DSC OFF' button. Gurgle-burble-gurgle...

No need to run through menus or push the COMFORT button: just toggle between the 'SPORT' and the 'DSC OFF' buttons: up and down over and over again.
      10-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #12
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2LA View Post
... inspector is coming out to look at the S5 lease return tomorrow, nervous!
Not to worry. Plenty of time to take out the roll cage and NOx system. LOL.
Enjoy the brand new M2!
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #13
LooksBeyondBasic_BMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Well I had my Dealer generate a dummy purchase order for me when I put my down payment on a LBB. I was told 8-12 months, and hoping that isn't true. Now that I hear the dealer wanted to jack up the price, I'm glad I got the purchase order, otherwise I'd be punching someone in the face. LOL
Anyone done anything with the DINAN gear for the M2 yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #14
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
The wireless charger in the well. What I don’t understand is why not use a fast charger that is backwards compatible and why not make the cradle 1-2cm longer – there is plenty of room and more to accommodate any device.

Agreed. I'm confused buy this too.

And the lack of a 12V plug there is just plain dumb yet they put one in the trunk – why, what am I missing here?

There is a fast charge USB plug in there why do you need a 12V that you have to adapt to USB to charge the phone?

MY 2017
6NW Wireless Charging, including 6WD Wifi Hotspot is now available. This option also includes and an additional USB outlet with up to 2.1 Amp charging current, allowing for faster smartphone charging.
the usb in the well is not a fast charge, hence the need for a 12v adapter. don't know about the other plug, dont care as I want to store my phone in the well

edit: to be more clear, I use fast charge 3.0 which is between 3.2V and 20V at 200mV increments. 'faster' charger does not mean what I am talking about. a galaxy 7 edge charges in ~90min on a fast charge and 5-6 hours without

Last edited by M2LA; 10-21-2016 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: add info
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #15
rosky1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

M2LA- True story on seeing the 1M's original owner at PCD. We had not been in touch so quite a coincidence. Sold the 1M reluctantly...loved it and never had an issue...only 27k miles...but loved all I had heard about the M2 & couldn't keep both...on a list since Oct of 15 & only second local allocation...have a Cooper S for a DD so plenty of fun for work & play.

PCD is amazing...hot lap in an M3 with a racing driver is unreal. And you get to do a couple of 360 spins in their car on the wet skidpad.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #16
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
M2LA- True story on seeing the 1M's original owner at PCD. We had not been in touch so quite a coincidence. Sold the 1M reluctantly...loved it and never had an issue...only 27k miles...but loved all I had heard about the M2 & couldn't keep both...on a list since Oct of 15 & only second local allocation...have a Cooper S for a DD so plenty of fun for work & play.

PCD is amazing...hot lap in an M3 with a racing driver is unreal. And you get to do a couple of 360 spins in their car on the wet skidpad.
that is crazy - where do you live that you cannot use the m2 as a dd? I have had hot laps with porsche instructors and it was insane. they used turbos and they had quite a few of them. I could not believe how fast they went into a corner and how late they braked, really late - and hard! there is a 1m at a dealer near universal city - >1K and they are asking 75K. there is a rumor that the car was in an accident but it looked straight to me. dealer is a loser, these are the guys that are asking 100K+ for an m2. so you prefer the m2 to the 1m overall or better question is do you miss anything about the 1m - I know you dont miss the cup holder lol
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #17
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

How do you get emails and SMS to display on screen? I have a 17 with apple car play and idrive 5.0 but never messed with it yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #18
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
How do you get emails and SMS to display on screen? I have a 17 with apple car play and idrive 5.0 but never messed with it yet.
hey, my 17 has apple play as well but I am using android - email and text just pipes right in, all I did was connect BT and give access to my device. no mms, just sms or so I think, i have not gotten any pics in mms since I picked it up
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 09:18 PM   #19
rosky1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Not an issue of location- I'm in Va...I drive a bit for work & prefer to use the M2 as a fair weather & weekend car just like the 1M was. I averaged 6k per year just like the first guy...he sold it at 9k mi. Have had the M2 only 3 days...agree on the dim instruments, but don't miss anything yet. (Partly because of the month after the 1M was sold & I waited for delivery) My wife misses the interior passenger roof handle for easier exit...so I'm always there-chivalry works. Priced a 1M handle & bracket...not expensive...but don't know how bad or tricky the install would be.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2016, 09:30 PM   #20
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Not an issue of location- I'm in Va...I drive a bit for work & prefer to use the M2 as a fair weather & weekend car just like the 1M was. I averaged 6k per year just like the first guy...he sold it at 9k mi. Have had the M2 only 3 days...agree on the dim instruments, but don't miss anything yet. (Partly because of the month after the 1M was sold & I waited for delivery) My wife misses the interior passenger roof handle for easier exit...so I'm always there-chivalry works. Priced a 1M handle & bracket...not expensive...but don't know how bad or tricky the install would be.
I get it, I have enough stuff to manage so I am not even thinking of another car - interesting thought what would I like to have. probably a mustang gt but they smell so funny. I will always like muscle cars, generation thing. 3 days? I got mine tue, separated at birth! lol - the jack and coke is kicking in. lease inspector came today for the s5 - I owe zero, only miles. I could not believe it - i have a 2K rear end accident claim and a 4.5k one for a pole falling on the front. if there were no signs the pole prob would have fallen between the cars. nuts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 05:01 AM   #21
rosky1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I recall your original pic on the light post. That was bizarre as well. No telling how bad if it had hit the Audi directly!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 07:13 AM   #22
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Great 👍🏼