BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Cracking noise while steering at stand still / slow moving

10-16-2016, 03:10 AM   #1
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Cracking noise while steering at stand still / slow moving

Interestingly, I have something new to report on the car. Since a few weeks now I have a cracking noise in the dashboard when I turn the steering wheel. Only happens when I steer at stand still or at really slow speeds.

The cracking noise comes from the dashboard in front of me and only the driver's side. It is only there when steering, the car is cold (as far as I remember) and it sounds like plastic rubbing on plastic. I think it has something to do with the steering rack.

Only need to check if the noise is also there on the outside. I will go to the dealer next week and mark it as a problem with them. Lovely thing for them to fix under warranty.

Anyone else here with the same noise?

MR
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Are you referring to the crushed soda can noise?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 02:31 AM   #3
BigNip
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mini JCW M2 coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.
Interestingly, I have something new to report on the car. Since a few weeks now I have a cracking noise in the dashboard when I turn the steering wheel. Only happens when I steer at stand still or at really slow speeds.

The cracking noise comes from the dashboard in front of me and only the driver's side. It is only there when steering, the car is cold (as far as I remember) and it sounds like plastic rubbing on plastic. I think it has something to do with the steering rack.

Only need to check if the noise is also there on the outside. I will go to the dealer next week and mark it as a problem with them. Lovely thing for them to fix under warranty.

MR
I noticed similar noise after installing the MP steering wheel. It's sounds like a rattling noise from the bottom of the steering console.

Checked the steering wheel to ensure all bolts are nicely tightened. The noise still here!!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #4
Gaviin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I've had the same issue on my '14 M235i for some time now. I've never had it checked out because it's very inconsistent. Would be curious what you find out.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
Nope that happens when the car moves faster. Just standstill and turn the steering wheel and you hear the squeaking noise. It sounds like a plastic on plastic noise.

Maybe I should make a movie it and you can hear what I mean. I have it all the time. Same as the squeaking noise when the mirrors unfold. Also plastic on plastic noise.

MR
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
Nope that happens when the car moves faster. Just standstill and turn the steering wheel and you hear the squeaking noise. It sounds like a plastic on plastic noise.

Maybe I should make a movie it and you can hear what I mean. I have it all the time. Same as the squeaking noise when the mirrors unfold. Also plastic on plastic noise.

MR
I'm getting a similar thing. Only at slow speeds while turning at a certain degree. It sounds like I'm dragging tin behind me- not plastic.

My drivers mirror has the same squeak as you though.
      10-18-2016, 07:29 PM   #7
GoSlow2GoFast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post

MR
Interestingly I noticed something that may be similar / same as you. My data point was parked, car running, and turning the front wheels to either end of steering range. Produced a noise that didn't seem like should be there. Hadn't followed up on it, but given your similar experience I'll have to revisit it.

~gs2gf
      10-20-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
GoSlow2GoFast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow2GoFast View Post
Interestingly I noticed something that may be similar / same as you. My data point was parked, car running, and turning the front wheels to either end of steering range. Produced a noise that didn't seem like should be there. Hadn't followed up on it, but given your similar experience I'll have to revisit it.

~gs2gf
My noise may be different than yours, hard to say. Mine occurs when stopped, car running, and then turning the wheels left or right to full lock. As it approaches full lock a noise occurs that sounds like rubber bushings twisting sort of, etc. May not be abnormal, just doesn't make you feel good about some movement that's occurring. I wonder if this is common on all M2's ?