BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > E92 m3 to m2 ....

10-17-2016, 06:28 AM   #23
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life24 View Post
A buddy of mine has a manual E92 M3, as you do OP. The manual gearbox in the M2 has rev matching, which blips for you when you downshift. As you know, on the e92, you have to control that yourself. So if you plan on getting a manual M2, this is important to know ahead of time.
You can actually turn off the auto rev match by sacrificing your safety and turning off traction control.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #24
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHOI View Post
You can actually turn off the auto rev match by sacrificing your safety and turning off traction control.
Or you could learn how to drive. 18k miles in my M2 and exactly zero of them were with DSC on. Shockingly, my car is still in one piece. Cracks me up when I hear people complain about that.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #25
njw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 - LBB/6MT/Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart_doctor
I currently have a 2011 E92 M3 with just about 50,000 original miles. It's my daily driver during warm weather and I absolutely love the car. I have been considering going to a new M3/M4 but to be honest I wasn't impressed enough when I took a test drive to make the plunge.

A friend of mine has decided to get the M2 (he is coming from a M236i xdrive) and I am thinking of doing the same. I called the dealer today and he said they will get an allocation for me in a couple weeks if I decide to go ahead.

Who on the forum has gone from an e93 m3 to the m2, what has your experience been, and how does the m2 compare to your previous car? Also, why have people gone with the m2 over the m3/4 (besides cost). The reviews I have read online and watched on YouTube have really been amazing when it comes to this car. I am seriously thinking about making a move .....
Made the switch and couldn't be happier. Yes, the M3 felt more expensive and sounded amazing above 4K rpm's (I also had MPE) but the M2 is an incredible machine and deserves all the praise you've read about.

The 6MT feels great and the stock exhaust has tons of character. I wish I could film the looks and attention it gets just driving thru parking lots at low speed. Bottom line, this car has presence and the performance to back it up.

You will not be disappointed.
Attached Images

10-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #26
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Or you could learn how to drive. 18k miles in my M2 and exactly zero of them were with DSC on. Shockingly, my car is still in one piece. Cracks me up when I hear people complain about that.
Appreciate 7
D CHOI581.00
ried791.50
Robin_NL8716.00
Rxkenny20.00
dt3450.00
termigni1081.00
      10-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #27
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
This may come as a shock to you, but DSC wasn't always in automobiles. Somehow the world survived. People bitching about not being able to turn off auto rev matching while DSC is on are literally saying, "I want to pretend I'm a good driver by not having the computer rev match for me, while secretly having the computer prevent me from crashing."
Appreciate 2
Mavus2027.50
      10-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #28
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
That

Quote:
This may come as a shock to you, but DSC wasn't always in automobiles. Somehow the world survived. People bitching about not being able to turn off auto rev matching while DSC is on are literally saying, "I want to pretend I'm a good driver by not having the computer rev match for me, while secretly having the computer prevent me from crashing."
And that.

Even today's "enthusiasts" are...well...nevermind.

The pussification of America continues.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #29
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

I've driven cars with stability control and I've driven cars without. To say that the only way you can stop automatic throttle blips is by disabling a completely unrelated safety system does seem a bit odd to me. It should be a stand alone function like many of the other features on the car. Justifying this based on a "tough guy" stance is equally puzzling.

Back to the task at hand - I'm also in the queue for an M2 coming from an E92 M3. For me, the bearing risks with the (awesome) motor were too much for me so I decided to take the plunge on an M2.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 10:14 PM   #30
dasblack
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by njw
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart_doctor
I currently have a 2011 E92 M3 with just about 50,000 original miles. It's my daily driver during warm weather and I absolutely love the car. I have been considering going to a new M3/M4 but to be honest I wasn't impressed enough when I took a test drive to make the plunge.

A friend of mine has decided to get the M2 (he is coming from a M236i xdrive) and I am thinking of doing the same. I called the dealer today and he said they will get an allocation for me in a couple weeks if I decide to go ahead.

Who on the forum has gone from an e93 m3 to the m2, what has your experience been, and how does the m2 compare to your previous car? Also, why have people gone with the m2 over the m3/4 (besides cost). The reviews I have read online and watched on YouTube have really been amazing when it comes to this car. I am seriously thinking about making a move .....
Made the switch and couldn't be happier. Yes, the M3 felt more expensive and sounded amazing above 4K rpm's (I also had MPE) but the M2 is an incredible machine and deserves all the praise you've read about.

The 6MT feels great and the stock exhaust has tons of character. I wish I could film the looks and attention it gets just driving thru parking lots at low speed. Bottom line, this car has presence and the performance to back it up.

You will not be disappointed.
+1 on the attention. Driver of a modded 335i was filming me while going about 50 mph
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 10:25 PM   #31
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
It's not a problem for me. I wouldn't mind it auto rev matching. But I was just letting you know you can turn it off and not saying I'm against it because of safety reasons but more of stating the obvious.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #32
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Thankfully I don't have to make that decision, I've got an M2 on order and will also keep my E92 M. Personally I would never give up my E92 for an M2 it's just too special a car that will become even more so as time goes on. M2 is a fantastic car by all accounts, it just isn't a special car which is why it makes the perfect daily year rounder for me. E92 for good weather only and will grace the garage at all other times.

With respect to the heroes who knock stability control you need to give your head a shake. Stability control is likely one of the single greatest safety innovations ever created in the automotive industry. The power and capability of cars today is unprecedented and that makes DSC a must. I consider myself an excellent driver with years of experience off and on track. Two weeks ago I was driving my mid 80s 911 which I've owned for 20 years. I've never had a problem in this car and yet there I was on a sunny clear dry day taking a corner a little too hot without being as attentive as I should be. Four wheels over the curb and came to a stop about two feet from a concrete barrier. I could have done some real damage to myself, others, and the car as there were trees on either side plus the barrier ahead. Luckily the extent of the damage was a blown tire and bent rim. Very fortunate to say the least. It just takes one screw up. I'll take the DSC thanks. I think this R&T article captures the issue well:

If the pic is blurry here is the link:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ct-your-nanny/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-17-2016, 11:37 PM   #33
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Thankfully I don't have to make that decision, I've got an M2 on order and will also keep my E92 M. Personally I would never give up my E92 for an M2 it's just too special a car that will become even more so as time goes on. M2 is a fantastic car by all accounts, it just isn't a special car which is why it makes the perfect daily year rounder for me. E92 for good weather only and will grace the garage at all other times.

With respect to the heroes who knock stability control you need to give your head a shake. Stability control is likely one of the single greatest safety innovations ever created in the automotive industry. The power and capability of cars today is unprecedented and that makes DSC a must. I consider myself an excellent driver with years of experience off and on track. Two weeks ago I was driving my mid 80s 911 which I've owned for 20 years. I've never had a problem in this car and yet there I was on a sunny clear dry day taking a corner a little too hot without being as attentive as I should be. Four wheels over the curb and came to a stop about two feet from a concrete barrier. I could have done some real damage to myself, others, and the car as there were trees on either side plus the barrier ahead. Luckily the extent of the damage was a blown tire and bent rim. Very fortunate to say the least. It just takes one screw up. I'll take the DSC thanks. I think this R&T article captures the issue well:

Leaving your opinion of DSC aside, the fact is that it's a non sequitur for people to want to be able to heel-toe throttle blip manually shift yet still use DSC. Human error is human error. All it takes is one instance of not paying attention when manually shifting or grabbing a wrong gear and you've just locked up your engine. Heel toe or throttle blip improperly while turning and you've just spun the car into a wall. The M2 has now evolved to give you a safety net to prevent poor throttle blipping from upsetting the chassis. By your logic, why turn it off? It makes perfect sense to me that the M2 doesn't let you blip unless you turn DSC off. It's basically telling you that if you want to drive the car, you've got to actually drive the damn car. This is one of the many reasons I love this car.

It's very simple why I turn DSC off, and it's nothing to do with being a hero.

1. DSC prevents the car from reacting as immediately as I need it to (pulling into busy traffic, accelerating quickly, etc)
2. DSC off is significantly more predictable in both emergency situations and when driven at the limit. The car will react according to it's natural chassis/suspension ability instead of unpredictably corner braking. I have worked hard learning to naturally and quickly correct for mistakes; DSC intervention often works against my natural corrections and forces me to "correct for the correction."
3. DSC off is more fun
4. DSC off is faster around a track

Jack's article in road and track regarding DSC is spot on for beginners. But I have actually driven with him in my car before, and do you know what the first thing he did was? Turn off DSC.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 10-17-2016 at 11:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 11:57 PM   #34
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3
Quote:

Leaving your opinion of DSC aside, the fact is that it's a non sequitur for people to want to be able to heel-toe throttle blip manually shift yet still use DSC. Human error is human error. All it takes is one instance of not paying attention when manually shifting or grabbing a wrong gear and you've just locked up your engine. Heel toe or throttle blip improperly while turning and you've just spun the car into a wall. The M2 has now evolved to give you a safety net to prevent poor throttle blipping from upsetting the chassis. By your logic, why turn it off? It makes perfect sense to me that the M2 doesn't let you blip unless you turn DSC off. It's basically telling you that if you want to drive the car, you've got to actually drive the damn car. This is one of the many reasons I love this car.

It's very simple why I turn DSC off, and it's nothing to do with being a hero.

1. DSC prevents the car from reacting as immediately as I need it to (pulling into busy traffic, accelerating quickly, etc)
2. DSC off is significantly more predictable in both emergency situations and when driven at the limit. The car will react according to it's natural chassis/suspension ability instead of unpredictably corner braking. I have worked hard learning to naturally and quickly correct for mistakes; DSC intervention often works against my natural corrections and forces me to "correct for the correction."
3. DSC off is more fun
4. DSC off is faster around a track

Jack's article in road and track regarding DSC is spot on for beginners. But I have actually driven with him in my car before, and do you know what the first thing he did was? Turn off DSC.
The article does not say leave stability control on if you are a beginner. On the contrary it mentions that professionals like Lewis Hamilton and Michael Schumacher benefit and have benefited from such systems. The article is clearly aimed at all drivers. You use an awful lot of complex and hard to follow verbage for a simple issue; safety. In any event good luck and hopefully if you make a mistake in the future it only affects you and not others.
Appreciate 1
Jadar1752.50
      10-18-2016, 12:09 AM   #35
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The article does not say leave stability control on if you are a beginner. On the contrary it mentions that professionals like Lewis Hamilton and Michael Schumacher benefit and have benefited from such systems. The article is clearly aimed at all drivers. You use an awful lot of complex and hard to follow verbage for a simple issue; safety. In any event good luck and hopefully if you make a mistake in the future it only affects you and not others.
Once again, Jack (the author of your article) drove my car. Turning off DSC was the first thing he did.

Are you really going to pretend that Formula 1 DSC is the same system we get in our M2?

You made me think though, it's extremely unsafe for you to be driving your RWD 911. Heck, you've already put it off the road once (and on the street in dry weather, no less!). I think people should only drive AWD cars tuned for understeer. Hopefully that way in the future when you make a mistake it only affects you and not others.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 12:51 AM   #36
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Let me get this straight, you put DSC off as in MDM or totally off all the time?
If it's 'totally off all the time' overhere where I live you have a deathwish for sure. And I do driftdays (off)and trackdays(turning it off or MDM depending on the situation)

Or you're just not driving 'fast enough' to get into danger/oversteer.

>10 years ago, I've been driving my ex 2002 E46 M3 6MT with everything off as a daily for 1 week, because there was something with the stability control /DSC electronics and my dealer had to order some parts which weren't there. It was autumn, but I had some moments in traffic.

So to make a long story short: On track/drifting: OFF (off course) but as a daily I 'm not so sure ...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 01:31 AM   #37
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
I wish I was as good as some of the posters in here. I bow down to the driving gods.

I hope it didn't take more than ten seconds for you to read that.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 01:52 AM   #38
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Thanks for the sarcasm, I'm with you mate

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #39
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Let me get this straight, you put DSC off as in MDM or totally off all the time?
If it's 'totally off all the time' overhere where I live you have a deathwish for sure. And I do driftdays (off)and trackdays(turning it off or MDM depending on the situation)

Or you're just not driving 'fast enough' to get into danger/oversteer.

>10 years ago, I've been driving my ex 2002 E46 M3 6MT with everything off as a daily for 1 week, because there was something with the stability control /DSC electronics and my dealer had to order some parts which weren't there. It was autumn, but I had some moments in traffic.

So to make a long story short: On track/drifting: OFF (off course) but as a daily I 'm not so sure ...

Cheers
Robin
Yes, I drive with it totally off all the time. Somehow, I've made it 19k miles without crashing (and 74k miles in my previous bmw before another driver hit me). I am sure I have better driving weather than you do in the Netherlands though, I live in Kentucky and do not drive the car in the winter.

It is really cracking me up that you guys think driving a docile M2 with DSC off is a death wish. I would love to see you guys drive an old GT2 or Viper! Everyone who owned a pre 2000 sports car must have a death wish!

Last edited by paradoxical3; 10-18-2016 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #40
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

I understand. What's the speedlimited in Ketucky? It would explain something. We in the Northern part of our country are used to wide highways with only extreme traffic at daytime , not at night in general, and B roads like rallystages. There are days I don't drive 100mph+ but they are rare( well actually atm I'm driving a tad slower, 90/100mph max on highway if traffic allows it, because the police caught me speeding 6 weeks ago,130mph....I'm an idiot I know.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #41
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I understand. What's the speedlimited in Ketucky? It would explain something. We in the Northern part of our country are used to wide highways with only extreme traffic at daytime , not at night in general, and B roads like rallystages. There are days I don't drive 100mph+ but they are rare( well actually atm I'm driving a tad slower, 90/100mph max on highway if traffic allows it, because the police caught me speeding 6 weeks ago,130mph....I'm an idiot I know.

Cheers
Robin
On highways the speed limit is 70mph but traffic usually goes about 90mph. But the real beauty of Kentucky is our backroads. We have hundreds of backroads that wind through hills, with beautiful sweepers, heavily cambered switchbacks, etc. The speed limit on these is set at 55mph but it is rare you can get over 60mph because they are so twisty. And police enforcement doesn't exist in the countryside. The roads wind through forests, lakes, mountains, etc. It's awesome to just get out a few of these roads and drive for hours without any clue where you are going. It is not unusual I can drive for an hour on some of these roads and not see a single other car.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 10-18-2016 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #42
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Yes, I drive with it totally off all the time. Somehow, I've made it 19k miles without crashing (and 74k miles in my previous bmw before another driver hit me). I am sure I have better driving weather than you do in the Netherlands though, I live in Kentucky and do not drive the car in the winter.

It is really cracking me up that you guys think driving a docile M2 with DSC off is a death wish. I would love to see you guys drive an old GT2 or Viper! Everyone who owned a pre 2000 sports car must have a death wish!
Try a Porsche 930 with 250+ hp more than stock. That's a death wish for you. And yet I drive it!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #43
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Try a Porsche 930 with 250+ hp more than stock. That's a death wish for you. And yet I drive it!
You terrible person, think of the children you will kill with that weapon!
Appreciate 1
BruceM984.50
      10-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #44
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
You terrible person, think of the children you will kill with that weapon!
I don't drive it a lot in school zones, let's put it that way
Appreciate 0