J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Planning for a shakedown on the Nurburgring

First things first... Has anyone taken out insurance there?

As for car preparation, for this first track incursion on the M2 I plan to run fully stock and basically get to know the car as it was designed in the first place. With the information that will be gathered, wheels/suspension/brakes/engine mods will be planned accordingly.
      10-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M View Post
First things first... Has anyone taken out insurance there?
As for car preparation, for this first track incursion on the M2 I plan to run fully stock and basically get to know the car as it was designed in the first place. With the information that will be gathered, wheels/suspension/brakes/engine mods will be planned accordingly.
Take care at 'The Green Hell'. It's a treacherous track.

Two weeks ago an LBB M2 had an encounter with the armcos. See 00:38 - 00:41 in the video below:

10-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Take care at 'The Green Hell'. It's a treacherous track.

Two weeks ago an LBB M2 had an encounter with the armcos. See 00:38 - 00:41 in the video below:

Best tip ever....don't drive the ring in the wet...! I have + 200 laps on the Nurburgring, but when it's wet I don't drive there. Nothing to enjoy about driving in the rain and to dangerous...
      10-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #4
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Best tip ever....don't drive the ring in the wet...! I have + 200 laps on the Nurburgring, but when it's wet I don't drive there. Nothing to enjoy about driving in the rain and to dangerous...
OP, please read this word of caution too: http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/warning.php

Lots of drivers at The Ring ain't rookies, but still cars and bikes get ending up in the armcos. Crash = apart from all personal damage, you're also required to pay all damages incurred by the race track.

Example: a guy filmed just 1 Ring lap on October 9, 2016. Humid but no rain. He counted 10 (!) crashed cars...

Can't say more about the following but I know of a brand new ///M that got totaled at the Ring during European Delivery. Undoubtedly mixed emotions for the driver during the flight back home.
      10-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
That sounds like sound advice and one that I don't mind taking. I have driven in quite a few tracks with quite a few different cars but I have the uttermost respect for the Ring and will not "play hero" there.

Still, and again, insurance? Let me tell you a quick story. A few years back someone crashed into me on a track day. Entirely his fault but that is not important here. Back then we simply drove the cars onto the public road and filled in an insurance claim so that his insurance would cover the damage sustained to my car, which it did. I am now aware that this constitutes fraud and I was accessory to it... Anyway, that taught me a lesson and since then I have only driven in public events with very, very strict rules regarding safety and experience of the drivers involved (different groups, very few cars on track at the same time), which will obviously not be the case in a tourist day at the ring.
      10-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
OP, please read this word of caution too: http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/warning.php
I have read that yeah

Quote:
Lots of drivers at The Ring ain't rookies, but still cars and bikes get ending up in the armcos. Crash = apart from all personal damage, you're also required to pay all damages incurred by the race track.
Can happen to every one of us indeed, regardless of experience! I would say that if you never had a crash/episode on track with a car/bike/kart whatever, it simply means you never drove hard enough or that you've never been to a race track to begin with.
I've had a few myself and they all served the purpose of making me very humble.
      10-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
That sounds like sound advice and one that I don't mind taking. I have driven in quite a few tracks with quite a few different cars but I have the uttermost respect for the Ring and will not "play hero" there.

Still, and again, insurance? Let me tell you a quick story. A few years back someone crashed into me on a track day. Entirely his fault but that is not important here. Back then we simply drove the cars onto the public road and filled in an insurance claim so that his insurance would cover the damage sustained to my car, which it did. I am now aware that this constitutes fraud and I was accessory to it... Anyway, that taught me a lesson and since then I have only driven in public events with very, very strict rules regarding safety and experience of the drivers involved (different groups, very few cars on track at the same time), which will obviously not be the case in a tourist day at the ring.
Isn't the ring considered a public toll road?

Also I agree with the "do no drive when wet." I did that in an M135 track rental with the DSC full ON and it was still super sketchy.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #8
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Me passing a guy with a ED M5... a Renault Clio making a braking fault and crashing in front of me. The M5 behind me had to do some magic to avoid hitting the Renault. Every time I come at the ring there are a lot of crashes...it's the greatest place on earth to drive, but be very aware of the danger.

10-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Can't say more about the following but I know of a brand new ///M that got totaled at the Ring during European Delivery. Undoubtedly mixed emotions for the driver during the flight back home.
Auch!
      10-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #10
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Public road, indeed. A friend witnessed a guy trying to get on track with a caravan. Needless to say that the chap was denied access.

10-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #11
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85
Quote:

Also I agree with the "do no drive when wet." I did that in an M135 track rental with the DSC full ON and it was still super sketchy.
Public road indeed but the insurance companies give you the finger if you happen to crash.
      10-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #12
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Me passing a guy with a ED M5... a Renault Clio making a braking fault and crashing in front of me. The M5 behind me had to do some magic to avoid hitting the Renault. Every time I come at the ring there are a lot of crashes...it's the greatest place on earth to drive, but be very aware of the danger.

Trailbraking in a short wheel base fwd car is not easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 04:13 PM   #13
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85
Quote:
Trailbraking in a short wheel base fwd car is not easy.
I guess it was more a matter of the quick decompression which unsettled the car. He added to it by lifting from the throttle perhaps too sharply and then had to (trail) brake into the turn which ultimately caused him to oversteer into the armco... Shit happens

Last edited by J.M; 10-20-2016 at 03:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 10:02 AM   #14
alex s
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17/M2 '18/328dT '18/M3cs

Quote:
...I have the uttermost respect for the Ring and will not "play hero" there...
Sounds like your main component is ready for the Ring!

Here's my video from September trackday there, you may have seen it:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1314601
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #15
Artemis
Rep

The Nürburgring armcos recently chewed an Audi R8.

http://www.motor1.com/news/106640/au...h-nurburgring/
      10-20-2016, 12:57 PM   #16
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quattro über Alles, sort of....

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0