BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M3/M4 Carbon brace for OG M2

07-14-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

M3/M4 Carbon brace for OG M2

Any recommendations for spots to find a nice used M3/M4 Carbon u brace one? I have checked eBay but some are a little more than what I want to pay and others are broken.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post
Any recommendations for spots to find a nice used M3/M4 Carbon u brace one? I have checked eBay but some are a little more than what I want to pay and others are broken.
You have to watch eBay like a hawk. I saw one on eBay for $500 and didn't jump on it and missed it. I looked every day for about 3 weeks and when another one finally appeared for $500 I jumped on it and bought it. Either be patient or be willing to spend $800-$1000.
Attached Images

07-15-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Quote:
You have to watch eBay like a hawk. I saw one on eBay for $500 and didn't jump on it and missed it. I looked every day for about 3 weeks and when another one finally appeared for $500 I jumped on it and bought it. Either be patient or be willing to spend $800-$1000.
Thanks.

I have ordered all the screws and metal brace(eBay) and left tower reinforcement. Do I also need to buy the M3/M4 suspension top mount? Did you buy M2C new rubber seal and plastic shrouds covering this stuff?

Yeah wanted to keep budget at $500 a couple for $750 and 800 but I'll just keep an eye on things?

Did you notice a significant difference in terms of rigidity?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Do I also need to buy the M3/M4 suspension top mount? Did you buy M2C new rubber seal and plastic shrouds covering this stuff?

I see you're also active in the carbon fiber strut mod thread on the suspension forum. It's more active so I believe you'd be better off asking your questions there... but to answer your questions: yes, you need the top mounts in order to bolt the new rear aluminum strut brace. I bought everything except the carbon U brace from the list others compiled from getbmwparts.com. Everything ran about $1,200 plus the $500 brace so $1,700 all-in for the mod with new parts. You can save a lot of money by re-using and modifying your existing cowl covers, sourcing the rear aluminum strut brace used, and skipping the strut reinforcement plates.

And yes, it made a terrific difference. As everyone who has done the mod has said, myself included, this is the missing link that makes the OG handle like the Comp. Better turn-in in corners and and overall better rigidity.
Attached Images

07-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Quote:
Do I also need to buy the M3/M4 suspension top mount? Did you buy M2C new rubber seal and plastic shrouds covering this stuff?

I see you're also active in the carbon fiber strut mod thread on the suspension forum. It's more active so I believe you'd be better off asking your questions there... but to answer your questions: yes, you need the top mounts in order to bolt the new rear aluminum strut brace. I bought everything except the carbon U brace from the list others compiled from getbmwparts.com. Everything ran about $1,200 plus the $500 brace so $1,700 all-in for the mod with new parts. You can save a lot of money by re-using and modifying your existing cowl covers, sourcing the rear aluminum strut brace used, and skipping the strut reinforcement plates.

And yes, it made a terrific difference. As everyone who has done the mod has said, myself included, this is the missing link that makes the OG handle like the Comp. Better turn-in in corners and and overall better rigidity.
Spent $290 so far, thanks was getting some responses I started this one to get mainly more information on finding a carbon U brace but ended up going a little too much into detail. 😬
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

You can either buy the oem m2c/m3m4 top hats, or get aftermarket camber plates for m2c/m3/m4.

The latter is what I choose, because I'm already gonna be tearing apart the suspension and wanted camber plates anyway.
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1779.00