My exhaust system is bone stock.
Have 12000 km logged thus far.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 02:40 PM   #68
TampaF87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

IF in fact there is an appreciable change in the cracks, pops and burbles, it's likely they were brought as a "recall" due to emissions reasons.

I understand that many on this forum might be enthusiasts, but not everyone is familiar with tuning. The exhaust has nothing to do with the cause of burbles and pops. That's all in the tune. The reason these occur is because BMW has purposely tuned injector overrun to dump small amounts of fuel into the cylinder after has completed it's ignition cycle, which then is ignited in the exhaust rather than in the cylinder. This mini explosion is the same as a poorly running old hoopty, but is specifically tailored for "aggressive sports car" feel.

I'm willing to bet that IF there is is in fact a change, then that is entirely the reason. That fuel ads up to a significant amount of efficiency loss over the lifetime of the vehicle. They are literally dumping fuel that has no benefit toward moving the vehicle.
Appreciate 3
      04-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #69
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

This tuning company claims they could enhance the overrun (pops and burbles)..

Pops, Burbles, Crackles. JB4 vs Hex https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1405339
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #70
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
I don't have the evidence on hand (I have to go look for it) so it's not something I can promise or guarantee. I just remember reading it somewhere and I believe that this is why people are complaining their car sounds different/quieter after an istep update.

Regardless of whether I'm right or not, if you have Tinnitus and the ASD is bothering you, you should buy a bypass harness or code it out with bimmercode. It's really not that difficult and It makes the cabin MUCH more peaceful and bearable to sit in. Don't be hesitant, just bite the bullet and do it. You'll thank me later.
Actually, won't need to thank you later, I can thank you in advance. I'm not the least bit hesitant - I'm ready to jump on it immediately and had planned to. Has anyone answered the question about whether the end result is different in terms of sound system clarity and tone with bypass harness vs. Bimmercode? Obviously Bimmercode is a piece of cake - app cost + OBD reader and you're done in 5 minutes, whereas the harness requires some labor and costs more. I'm trying to figure out if there's a specific reason people do the harness beyond just coding hesitance, i.e. if doing the harness leaves you with better sound system performance or lower interior noise db level vs. just using Bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #71
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
Go to map, option button, nav settings, position and software version, software version.
Thanks.. Here's what mine says:
Attached Images

04-27-2018, 03:22 PM   #72
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaF87 View Post
IF in fact there is an appreciable change in the cracks, pops and burbles, it's likely they were brought as a "recall" due to emissions reasons.

I understand that many on this forum might be enthusiasts, but not everyone is familiar with tuning. The exhaust has nothing to do with the cause of burbles and pops. That's all in the tune. The reason these occur is because BMW has purposely tuned injector overrun to dump small amounts of fuel into the cylinder after has completed it's ignition cycle, which then is ignited in the exhaust rather than in the cylinder. This mini explosion is the same as a poorly running old hoopty, but is specifically tailored for "aggressive sports car" feel.

I'm willing to bet that IF there is is in fact a change, then that is entirely the reason. That fuel ads up to a significant amount of efficiency loss over the lifetime of the vehicle. They are literally dumping fuel that has no benefit toward moving the vehicle.
I'm aware of everything you said and how it works, I just incorrectly assumed that an istep update wouldn't change things in the DME (such as how much fuel the injectors spray etc.). I was under the impression that the updates were just for idrive bug fixes and minor things of that nature. If they do in fact make DME changes then yeah, it's completely possible for them to make fueling changes that result in sound changes (for better or for worse).

The thing is, I've gotten multiple istep updates over the past two years and haven't ever noticed any sound changes so that's why I have my doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
I'm trying to figure out if there's a specific reason people do the harness beyond just coding hesitance, i.e. if doing the harness leaves you with better sound system performance or lower interior noise db level vs. just using Bimmercode.
I don't think there's any difference between one solution or the other besides the fact that one is a physical fix while the other is a software fix. I have both the coding and the harness running in tandem and haven't noticed any negative changes in sound with the addition of either.
Appreciate 2
      04-27-2018, 03:51 PM   #73
giphlag
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

My car is a 2017. Took delivery in March 2017.
I had my software updated February 2018 to this and exhaust sounds the same.

Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910942.50
      04-27-2018, 04:00 PM   #74
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Hey Andrew, I've got a question. We pick up our car on May 5, and as someone with Tinnitus I've always assumed I'd need to either install the bypass or code out ASD - I've already downloaded and studied up on the Bimmercode app as a first step. Are you saying that BMW has made changes that have decreased the impact of ASD in recent production cars and I may not have to mess with this? I'm not asking you to predict whether it will still bug me, just making sure I'm interpreting your post correctly - I've followed the forums for about 8 months and thought the ASD from a 2016 car is the same as ASD today.
As someone who also has Tinnitus, I have coded out ASD and won't go back. Quieter ride when cruising plus I can hear my stereo and passenger better. When driving aggressively, you'll still hear the natural exhaust & engine sounds well. But I do need to add that I have the Fabspeed S/C installed.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #75
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by giphlag View Post
My car is a 2017. Took delivery in March 2017.
I had my software updated February 2018 to this and exhaust sounds the same.

Thats great to hear! Id really hate to lose my snap, crackles, and pops.

Dabozo635.00
AndrewC198910942.50
      04-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #76
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteM2 View Post
That is not the latest software update.
I see that, but isnt it kind of strange that my map version is 2017 whereas the updates show it as 2016, yet my revision is marked with 'L' whereas the new ones are 'M'? Ill get my recall revision done when the first oil change is due in September.
      04-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #77
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Has anyone answered the question about whether the end result is different in terms of sound system clarity and tone with bypass harness vs. Bimmercode?
I used BimmerCode to turn off asd and stereo is awesome. No white noise, no issues.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2018, 04:16 PM   #78
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
As someone who also has Tinnitus, I have coded out ASD and won't go back. Quieter ride when cruising plus I can hear my stereo and passenger better. When driving aggressively, you'll still hear the natural exhaust & engine sounds well. But I do need to add that I have the Fabspeed S/C installed.
I'm still stock on the exhaust and I have No problem hearing it roar and crackle. The cabin is far from quiet, which makes me wonder all the more why BMW saw fit to muddy up that great sound with fake noise.. Ill never figure that out. They'd probably say they ran focus groups and the ASD tested better than NO-ASD.. go figure.
Aloha Joe393.00
      04-28-2018, 09:03 AM   #79
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteM2 View Post
Yours needs looking at.

Mine is the latest and still has all pops and crackles.
Will get the update in sept at my yearly oil change. So glad to hear that our pops and crackles may not be an issue at all with the update!
      04-28-2018, 09:20 AM   #80
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

I went straight to the dealer yesterday and spoke with service advisor and shop foreman. Being cheap ass Canada the response was "we would not update the software unless it was ordered by BMW to fix a known problem OR unless you paid for it. Who's going to pay us?" When I asked about any outstanding recall or software updates they said there are none. They were adamant. Until upon scanning my key the only work required is an oil change. That works for me thanks very much, don't touch my sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #81
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 BSM MT

Got car back from dealer today. Long story short, they were not convinced there was a marked difference between my car and another M2 they had there (although I didn't see any other M2's so who knows) But to be sure, they decided to re-flash the software 'just in case something had gone wrong the first time'.
Anyways..drove off resigned to the idea that I would have to live my presumably quieter car and the car sounded normal again! (Go ahead, Roll eyes now) I know most will think I'm bonkers and don't blame you but I'm telling ya it is very noticeable now-lots of burbles. Then it dawned on me to check software version and to my surprise it's no longer the one I had before!
Not sure how often these change but it was only 3-4 weeks since last update.

OP - maybe go back to dealer and give this version a shot..

Whether this has all just been one hell of a placebo ride or it's legit...I'm feeln a lot better about my ride again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      07-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #82
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
Got car back from dealer today. Long story short, they were not convinced there was a marked difference between my car and another M2 they had there (although I didn't see any other M2's so who knows) But to be sure, they decided to re-flash the software 'just in case something had gone wrong the first time'.
Anyways..drove off resigned to the idea that I would have to live my presumably quieter car and the car sounded normal again! (Go ahead, Roll eyes now) I know most will think I'm bonkers and don't blame you but I'm telling ya it is very noticeable now-lots of burbles. Then it dawned on me to check software version and to my surprise it's no longer the one I had before!
Not sure how often these change but it was only 3-4 weeks since last update.

OP - maybe go back to dealer and give this version a shot..

Whether this has all just been one hell of a placebo ride or it's legit...I'm feeln a lot better about my ride again.
Reviving an old thread.. but did the exhaust noise/volume eventually come back to your car?
I'm contemplating whether doing an istep update as it has the original software from mid 2017.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 02:58 AM   #83
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Reviving an old thread.. but did the exhaust noise/volume eventually come back to your car?
I'm contemplating whether doing an istep update as it has the original software from mid 2017.
Just go to a tuner and he can program them back in, its really simple.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #84
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
It's not the customer's responsibility to pay someone to tune back in what was tuned out by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #85
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
It's not the customer's responsibility to pay someone to tune back in what was tuned out by the dealer.
Some people are very comfortable with getting their cars tuned and coded - and some would rather not and I'm definitely in that camp even with my warranty already up! So it's not that simple for me
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      07-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #86
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
Service note 'Replacing the controller drive for exhaust flap'
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=11
Appreciate 0