Konig Ludwig
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Considering a new M2 LCI - A few questions

Car seems fun as fuck, need to take one out soon

1) Does the manual have rev matching?
2) Is the manual way funner to drive?
3) Does the M Performance Exhaust change the performance sound much? Is it worth it?
4) Can I fit 2 child seats in the back?
5) Can you get them with a sunroof?

Anything else I should know about this thing?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Yeah, the manual is way funner.
Appreciate 5
AngryBaby344.50
SoCalRob281.00
M.B.116.00
      08-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig Ludwig View Post

3) Does the M Performance Exhaust change the performance sound much? Is it worth it?

Yes
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 2
Corinne1171.00
      08-16-2017, 11:03 PM   #4
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

These answers are literally all over this board asked multiple times but the answer to all your questions is yes.
      08-17-2017, 03:43 AM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

[IMG]https://media2.giphy.com/media/vsCMqFTC9QugU/giphy.gif[/IMG]
      08-18-2017, 01:45 PM   #6
Konig Ludwig
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Because its so fast and small, is it a pain in the ass to drive in stop and go traffic with Manual?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #7
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig Ludwig
Because its so fast and small, is it a pain in the ass to drive in stop and go traffic with Manual?
I dunno apparently if you ask around the board, dct owners insist that the catastrophic traffic where they live is impossible to deal with if you have a manual and in no way do they say that because they weren't taught to drive stick. Personally I have never found a clutch pedal to be overly exhausting in any M car I have owned while sitting in traffic. Then again I don't buy M cars to putt around in traffic.
      08-18-2017, 03:24 PM   #8
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the car being fast and small; a manual is terrible in slow, rush-hour traffic, with constant shifting and pedal work - it's actually both tiring and irritating (and causes extra wear on the clutch and the rest of the drivetrain). A couple of weeks ago, I was stuck in my 6-speed manual MINI in stop-and-go, rush-hour traffic that didn't go more than 15-20 mph for 90 minutes and often only moved 10 feet at a time. It was truly a situation where I just needed an automatic transmission automotive appliance to limp along; I'd buy one immediately if I had to put up with that kind of traffic every day.

In other words, don't waste a thoroughbred race horse giving kids pony rides in your backyard.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      08-18-2017, 03:39 PM   #9
jtcsifl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X7/22 Bronco/23 EQS

The manual is more fun but the DCT is quicker! You can use the shift paddles when you get the urge to do the shifting. I daily drive mine in traffic so the DCT made more sense. I'll probably get flamed but I wish a sun/moon roof had been offered for 17. I love my car and my wife doesn't like driving it because of how different the DCT is from her normal auto & doesn't like riding in it because it's too loud. I have the MP exhaust.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #10
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
It has nothing to do with the car being fast and small; a manual is terrible in slow, rush-hour traffic, with constant shifting and pedal work - it's actually both tiring and irritating (and causes extra wear on the clutch and the rest of the drivetrain). A couple of weeks ago, I was stuck in my 6-speed manual MINI in stop-and-go, rush-hour traffic that didn't go more than 15-20 mph for 90 minutes and often only moved 10 feet at a time. It was truly a situation where I just needed an automatic transmission automotive appliance to limp along; I'd buy one immediately if I had to put up with that kind of traffic every day.

In other words, don't waste a thoroughbred race horse giving kids pony rides in your backyard.
Same thing happened to me recently when a 10-min trip took 90 min, tho it was actually my right ankle that got sore from repeatedly moving between the brake & gas pedal to move 10' at a time. Somewhat ironically, this was when I was taking my M2 purchase order to the FedEx office. Fortunately that kind of traffic jam is very unusual for me even in the Baltimore area - if I had to put up with that every day, I would move!
Spa2k1194.00
      08-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #11
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcsifl View Post
The manual is more fun but the DCT is quicker! You can use the shift paddles when you get the urge to do the shifting. I daily drive mine in traffic so the DCT made more sense. I'll probably get flamed but I wish a sun/moon roof had been offered for 17. I love my car and my wife doesn't like driving it because of how different the DCT is from her normal auto & doesn't like riding in it because it's too loud. I have the MP exhaust.
I'm not gonna flame anyone for wanting DCT or a moonroof but, while it is quicker, the avg driver isn't going to notice that DCT is 2/10th quicker on the street. And working shift paddles is a totally different activity than working a clutch pedal and moving a shift lever, so it wouldn't satisfy my "urge to do the shifting." That said, if I had the finances for a dedicated track toy, for sure I would want DCT and shift paddles for that.
      08-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #12
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
I'm not gonna flame anyone for wanting DCT or a moonroof but, while it is quicker, the avg driver isn't going to notice that DCT is 2/10th quicker on the street. And working shift paddles is a totally different activity than working a clutch pedal and moving a shift lever, so it wouldn't satisfy my "urge to do the shifting." That said, if I had the finances for a dedicated track toy, for sure I would want DCT and shift paddles for that.
You might not notice the 2/10th but you probably would notice the boost lost shifting in the MT compared the the DCT.
Appreciate 1
Mirk0.00
      08-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #13
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
You might not notice the 2/10th but you probably would notice the boost lost shifting in the MT compared the the DCT.
Maybe, but only if i drove the DCT.
      08-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #14
zhp2m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post

Same thing happened to me recently when a 10-min trip took 90 min, tho it was actually my right ankle that got sore from repeatedly moving between the brake & gas pedal to move 10' at a time. Somewhat ironically, this was when I was taking my M2 purchase order to the FedEx office. Fortunately that kind of traffic jam is very unusual for me even in the Baltimore area - if I had to put up with that every day, I would move!
agreed. It sometimes takes me 1:45 to drive 25 miles to get to work or home in the SF bay area. I love driving manuals, but definitely prefer the DCT here. I do love just driving the M2 period though..makes bad traffic more tolerable
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      08-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #15
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

While we are discussing stop and go traffic, I heard that DCTs wears out and goes bad very quickly if you drive in traffic like that everyday. Something about the clutch never fully disengaging when you just roll slowing in traffic. Honda supposedly has a lot of recall issues on their DCTs and that was thought to be the cause. Something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #16
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

The DCT is no more prone to wear than a manual transmission, if you drive it properly. You can't drive it like your grandma's Turbo-Hydramatic Impala in traffic - instead, you drive it somewhat like a manual transmission. (Remember, the DCT still has clutches.) For example, with a traditional torque converter automatic, you can just creep right up behind the car ahead of you, stop and then creep forward on engine idle to get started after the other car moves away. With the DCT, you hang back a little like you would with a manual transmission, so you don't slip the clutch any more than you have to to get moving. In addition, BMW's DCTs have a function called a Low Speed Assistant that lets the car accelerate at a very slow speed when you tap the gas pedal. It's a little weird to experience the first time, because the car won't move until you give it a little gas; conventional automatic-equipped cars will start to creep forward at idle as soon as you lift off the brake pedal.

As far as the Honda/Acura problems with their DCTs, I believe there were design problems with the software controlling the transmissions - not the transmissions themselves.
Appreciate 2
bobert858.50
Mirk0.00
      08-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #17
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

The M2 is a blast with either transmission, you really cannot go wrong either way regardless of what the "only manual" crowd will lead you to believe. If your a diehard manual guy than that is the transmission you should get. Personally I have the DCT and find it to be a ton of fun and amazingly quick. I have two friends with manual M2s and they both love their cars so pick the one that works for you and ignore what folks that aren't paying for your car tell you to do.
Appreciate 4
Spa2k1194.00
bobert858.50
doug_9992541.50
Not Sure212.50
      08-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #18
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
While we are discussing stop and go traffic, I heard that DCTs wears out and goes bad very quickly if you drive in traffic like that everyday. Something about the clutch never fully disengaging when you just roll slowing in traffic. Honda supposedly has a lot of recall issues on their DCTs and that was thought to be the cause. Something to think about.
You heard wrong. The Honda dct has nothing to do with the BMW DCT. Before ordering a M2 with a DCT I did a comprehensive search for any failures whatsoever of BMW DCT and they just don't fail. I am sure that if you drive the car incorrectly you can force an issue but the manual is clear that you do not want to crawl for long periods of time with the DCT, no different than a manual. If you can find a documented BMW DCT failure please post a link to it here, I searched everywhere for weeks and could find none.
Appreciate 1
Mirk0.00
      08-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #19
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
You heard wrong. The Honda dct has nothing to do with the BMW DCT. Before ordering a M2 with a DCT I did a comprehensive search for any failures whatsoever of BMW DCT and they just don't fail. I am sure that if you drive the car incorrectly you can force an issue but the manual is clear that you do not want to crawl for long periods of time with the DCT, no different than a manual. If you can find a documented BMW DCT failure please post a link to it here, I searched everywhere for weeks and could find none.

Wasn't at all bashing BMW's DCT if that's what you thought and I never said BMW has a proven failure. The OP and others were discussing transmissions and traffic conditions and I was just pointing out that's what I heard about some issues that can happen with DCT systems IN GENERAL while driving in traffic and Honda's DCT failure is an example. As I said, something to think about and it's an interesting discussion (to me).

Since you mentioned BMW stating in the owner's manual to not roll the car, one would have to think what happens if you the drivers do that everyday. There are situations where you can only roll slowly and it's very difficult to avoid. As for a manual, if driven correct, you can roll without any wear on the clutch. Again, just throwing different ideas out there for discussion.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #20
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Perhaps some searching for reliability of the M-DCT on M3 and M4 boards would be worth your time. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579457

Not sure how much the DCT has changed from e9x, to f8x, to whatever made it into the M2.

Last edited by akkando; 08-18-2017 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #21
Konig Ludwig
Second Lieutenant
Rep

On the DCT does it have the full adaptive cruise control that modifies speed and stops based on the distance of the car in front of you.

I drive an Audi A6 with this feature and its great in traffic, basically semi-autonomous.

I believe you can get this option in an M2?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #22
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
I still own a 2011 335is w/DCT, it's the same one that's in the x9x M3 minus some bells and whistles. Thing has been rock solid for the 7yrs I've owned it. 80% of all mileage on it is city driving. They had issues early on with engaging/disengaging etc., but it wasn't mechanical. A software update resolved the herky, jerky shifting. My understanding is the DCT on the new F8x M's is an updated version of the same DCT.
Appreciate 0