BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Invisible Limp Mode..

07-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #23
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM5NYC View Post
When you were scraping with the putty knife are you sure you did not hit a connector or wire or plug of any type?
thats actually a smart suggestion it's certainly possible...im kinda hoping thats the problem, i hate to think a plastic bag could send my car into some kind of invisible limp mode

now i noticed that it's when the car is warmed up that's when its at its worst

its going to the dealership later this week
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 03:12 PM   #24
gtaM2
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Is it fixed yet?

Mike
i think your john deere could take my car off the line
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #25
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaM2 View Post
i think your john deere could take my car off the line
LOL, it's not a Modified Lawn Tractor AKA Tim "the Toolman" Taylor Race tractor.

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #26
gtaM2
Driver
Rep

update: the dealership claims the car is running normal, as i drove off the lot i could tell right away it wasnt

i purchased bimmerlink and a WIFI OBD2 Dongle, my car is throwing 2 codes:

Motorelektronik ME VD17.2 6 Zylinder MSA/Hybrid
2 errors
128901: 0x128901 Lambdasonde vor Katalysator, Dynamik: langsame Reaktion
12BD80: 0x12BD80 Lambdasonde vor Katalysator: Sammelfehler

the first code is the same as P0133

i cleared the codes, check for codes again to confirm they were gone, i then drove around for 15 minutes, checked again and these 2 codes came up again

it appears the dealership did not even scan my car for codes, i even suggested that its probably a sensor because the car is new, from doing some google its the o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1, can someone please direct me as to where this is? hesitation is one of the symptoms so this should be the issue with the car

i made another appointment for next week with a different dealership since that one is useless hopefully everything gets fixed up asap as i find it annoying that i drop 75k on a car and i have to figure out whats wrong myself, it appears that if the car drives then it is fine to some people

Last edited by gtaM2; 08-03-2017 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 07:04 PM   #27
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

That sucks! I had an oxygen sensor go bad on my 1994 325 is the day after I picked it up! I was driving to Boston from CT on a Saturday morning. The flat bedded me back to the dealer and fortunately they the service department was open and they had the part!

I can practically feel your blood boiling from here give that they did not appear to scan your car! You just have to stick to your guns and make them fix it.

Mike

Appreciate 2
gtaM2390.50
      08-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #28
gtaM2
Driver
Rep

update for those that care:

this dealership is a step above the previous one and did acknowledge an issue with the car however their interpretation of the issue is jokes, apparently they can read the fuel quality of the car and they tell me for the last 5 fill ups i have used "0 grade fuel" i asked what octane that is and the service manager said its like below 70 octane

for starters if it was just one tank i could understand that by chance it was bad gas but 5 tanks that is ridiculous, and just for good measure i confirmed that it wasnt filled up at the same gas station the past 5 times..i just checked my credit card statement and the past 5 fill ups have all been at different gas stations, for him to even suggest that i am basically putting an octane in my car that is not even available to the public is just insulting, anyways they performed an adaptation reset and a few hundred km later the car is running fine right now..when i press the gas the car actually moves instantly and the exhaust is louder and burbling now

Obviously something happened to a sensor or some shit that caused my car to think it had bad gas in it for 2000 KM and run like shit for a whole month the day after i ran over a plastic bag (coincidence or not) you would think it would have just fixed itself over a few days similar to how a car adapts to hot weather etc etc but it just did not correct itself and needed this adaptation procedure for some reason

from a car point of few this past month has been a nightmare im just glad it appears to be all fixed up
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      08-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #29
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
...i just checked my credit card statement and the past 5 fill ups have all been at different gas stations, for him to even suggest that i am basically putting an octane in my car that is not even available to the public is just insulting, anyways they performed an adaptation reset and a few hundred km later the car is running fine right now..when i press the gas the car actually moves instantly and the exhaust is louder and burbling now

Obviously something happened to a sensor or some shit that caused my car to think it had bad gas in it for 2000 KM and run like shit for a whole month the day after i ran over a plastic bag (coincidence or not) you would think it would have just fixed itself over a few days similar to how a car adapts to hot weather etc etc but it just did not correct itself and needed this adaptation procedure for some reason

from a car point of few this past month has been a nightmare im just glad it appears to be all fixed up
Thanks for the update, esp in case anyone else sees a similar issue in the future. Glad your issue has finally been cured!
gtaM2390.50
      08-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #30
gtaM2
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Thanks for the update, esp in case anyone else sees a similar issue in the future. Glad your issue has finally been cured!
thanks this is my first BMW and already i notice this car does not function the same way as honda, acura, mitsubishi etc..this car will go into some kind of noticeable limp mode without actually showing any kind of cel / error on the dash..yep a good heads up for others..i really wonder how many average joes are driving around in their bmw right now while its running at 80% without even knowing it

i was talking to the receptionist at the dealer and she asked me whats wrong and i told her and shes like "ahhh...uhhh... yeah my car does the same thing it doesnt accelarate like it use to but its normal.. all cars are like that" yeah ok
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #31
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks for the update. I agree with your assessment, probably a sensor rather than 5 different gas stations with bad gas. My dad had a run in with a gas station back in the 70's where the tanks were filled with the wrong stuff (not gasoline) and they damaged about 50 cars before they caught it!

The first impulse for a tricky to diagnosis problem is to point somewhere else! "Our diagnostic computer says 'you suck,' go away."

Mike

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #32
gtaM2
Driver
Rep

update: car has gone back into this invisible limp mode

so basically it was running fine for about 700KM and just last night in the middle of my drive home from work it went back into this mode, having seen it fresh at its finest form and then right back into limp mode, it is very noticeable to me as the exhaust is so quiet in sport + mode with no burbling at the usually rpm's also running sluggish in comfort mode as explained earlier

its going back to the dealership on Monday, last week the Manager told me that if the problem with the car persists to keep the gas receipts so i will bring those with me to prove i am not filling up with 70 octane gas now im worried that it will never be fixed, or i will have to keep taking it back every week , i wonder if i am the only stock M2 thats having issues, lucky me
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #33
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
update: car has gone back into this invisible limp mode

so basically it was running fine for about 700KM and just last night in the middle of my drive home from work it went back into this mode, having seen it fresh at its finest form and then right back into limp mode, it is very noticeable to me as the exhaust is so quiet in sport + mode with no burbling at the usually rpm's also running sluggish in comfort mode as explained earlier

its going back to the dealership on Monday, last week the Manager told me that if the problem with the car persists to keep the gas receipts so i will bring those with me to prove i am not filling up with 70 octane gas now im worried that it will never be fixed, or i will have to keep taking it back every week , i wonder if i am the only stock M2 thats having issues, lucky me
That really sucks. Perhaps someone has seen something similar on the 2 series boards or m3/m4 boards and could give you some clue to what's happening?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #34
daftsham
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F87 MG DCT

i can sympathize about the issues you are having with the car. i picked mine a little less than 2 months ago and so far everything has been great *knock on wood* i wish everything gets sorted out quickly with your car
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #35
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

Man. That sucks. I hope they will fix the issue for good this time!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #36
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

There's no such thing as 70 octane gasoline. I think 85 is lowest available in NA. Is your car modified at all?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #37
pissclams
bad ***** poster _
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3, 2018 F87

At this point, I'd recommend that you stop referring to the fact that you think driving over a plastic bag is the cause of the car's ills b/c I'm not sure how any damage that it caused would fall under a warranty claim and I'd guess that BMW NA would feel the same.
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      08-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #38
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

I drove over a plastic bag last week and immediately thought of this thread.

Happy to report the car remains capable of allowing me to drive like an asshat when desired.
Appreciate 2
pissclams277.50
SoCalRob281.00
      08-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #39
gtaM2
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissclams View Post
At this point, I'd recommend that you stop referring to the fact that you think driving over a plastic bag is the cause of the car's ills b/c I'm not sure how any damage that it caused would fall under a warranty claim and I'd guess that BMW NA would feel the same.
as i have stated previously in this thread it could be a coincidence i am only pointing out facts, if BMWNA is going to give me a hard time about fixing a sensor because i ran over a plastic bag (i doubt it) but so be it i could not care less i just want the car fixed ASAFP
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #40
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Wait.. So you were putting shit fuel into your M2... And you think running over a bag is why it was performing poorly? The bag had nothing to do with it other than it prompted you to "Check" if it affected performance. Presumably you weren't actively pushing the car or paying attention prior to the bag and after you decided to put low quality fuel in the car.

In general always fill up with 91+ from reputable gas stations and fuel sources that don't artificially inflate the octane rating with ethanol. BMW motors don't like ethanol.

As for the O2 sensor could it be you damaged it while scraping the bag residue off?
      08-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #41
gtaM2
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Wait.. So you were putting shit fuel into your M2... And you think running over a bag is why it was performing poorly? The bag had nothing to do with it other than it prompted you to "Check" if it affected performance. Presumably you weren't actively pushing the car or paying attention prior to the bag and after you decided to put low quality fuel in the car.

In general always fill up with 91+ from reputable gas stations and fuel sources that don't artificially inflate the octane rating with ethanol. BMW motors don't like ethanol.

As for the O2 sensor could it be you damaged it while scraping the bag residue off?
are you serious? do you work at my dealer

i use 94 octane 90% of the time, i dont even pay for my F'ing gas my company pays for it

who are these people? does bmw plant them on these forums ...seriously this whole experience has been frustrating and annoying and some of these people here are making it worse, first its placebo effect and now when the dealer acknowledges the problem its because i have put 70 octane in my car for 5 straight fill ups

Last edited by gtaM2; 08-18-2017 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 3
AngryBaby344.50
bobert858.50
      08-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #42
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaM2
Quote:

are you serious? do you work at my dealer

who are these people? does bmw plant them on these forums
Sorry i have missed it but did you confirm always 91 no ethanol and that you didn't knick the front O2 wiring? Unlike the rear O2 sensors the fronts do affect performance. Is GTA a reference to Toronto? Keep in mind we have lots of shit gas and misleading octane ratings up here.
      08-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #43
gtaM2
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
There's no such thing as 70 octane gasoline. I think 85 is lowest available in NA. Is your car modified at all?
apparently the dealership thinks so , car is bone stock
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #44
gtaM2
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Sorry i have missed it but did you confirm always 91 no ethanol and that you didn't knick the front O2 wiring? Unlike the rear O2 sensors the fronts do affect performance. Is GTA a reference to Toronto? Keep in mind we have lots of shit gas and misleading octane ratings up here.
thanks and sorry if im being rude i am just frustrated...yes i am in toronto and as previous stated i checked my companys credit card statement and my last 5 fill ups were at different gas stations so the chances of them all bad are pretty much 0, the dealership has stated and i have it on paper that they believe i have used 0 grade octane on all these fill ups, when i asked the manager what that was he said octane below 70 and he said it with a straight face

i believe from my own research it is the front o2 sensor but from where the bag was melting there were no wires around the area i scrapped off

edit: also most of the time i use petro 94 octane and sometimes 91 shell vpower

Last edited by gtaM2; 08-18-2017 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
stefan2349.50