BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 6MT Rev Matching Experiences

07-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #89
J3STER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M2

I'm not a fan of the feature and wish it could just be turned off independently of the safety nets. Something BMW should fix, that way the people that want the rev matching can have it and the ones that don't can just turn it off and be happy. I drive with my car with Everything off just to turn off the rev match which sucks to me big time.
Appreciate 2
mau0.00
doug_9992541.50
      07-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #90
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

I had it on my 2009 Nissan 370Z, loved it, don't have it on my 2015 F30, miss it, will really appreciate it when I get my M2.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #91
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3STER View Post
I'm not a fan of the feature and wish it could just be turned off independently of the safety nets. Something BMW should fix, that way the people that want the rev matching can have it and the ones that don't can just turn it off and be happy. I drive with my car with Everything off just to turn off the rev match which sucks to me big time.
Why don't you want rev-matching though? What is the problem that it's causing?

It helps a lot smoothing out downshifts and you can still blip the throttle with rev-match on. Provided you are better than the computer (good luck!), it will use your rev-match instead of the automatic one.

There is literally no downside to it unless you don't like the noise it makes.
Appreciate 2
      07-21-2017, 07:52 PM   #92
Jamesembry
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
I agree
      07-21-2017, 09:10 PM   #93
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post
I had it on my 2009 Nissan 370Z, loved it, don't have it on my 2015 F30, miss it, will really appreciate it when I get my M2.
I agree with the both of you. I have a 13 Z & 17 M2 both manual trans and enjoy the auto rev match in my daily driving. However when I'm on my favorite mountain run. I'd like to do it on my own and in the Z, a touch of a button turns it off without taking away the safety nannies, then if you wish, a different button allows you to turn the safety nannies off or on. BMW should have copied Nissan in this instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post

It helps a lot smoothing out downshifts and you can still blip the throttle with rev-match on. Provided you are better than the computer (good luck!), it will use your rev-match instead of the automatic one.

Yes, you can do it this way. But I guess part of the fun without auto rev match, is the satisfaction you get when you perfectly match your rev with your downshift release of the clutch. Conversely if you don't match it right, you get that under rev clunk or over rev feel on your shift.

If you heel toe with the auto rev match on, you remove the chance of the under rev clunk feel, which is good for the car and your speed, but it makes you wonder if you caught that down shift right or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 11:01 PM   #94
J3STER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post

I'm glad that you like it, we all got different tastes.

The problem for me its that it is not me doing it, so the feeling goes out the window instantly. I'm used to heel and toe from all my previous cars so I have just grown used to it. And the only way I have seen it use your rev match over the computers its actually when you do it wrong and over rev on your downshift.

I'm not claiming to be better than the computer but it really kills the feeling of driving manual for some people that like to do it themselves. Its just a matter of preference. And its not the noise all my cars have been loud and modified. Its just that it takes the skill out of driving and numbs down the experience in my opinion. Driving a manual properly is a dying art. All these things are just making people more lazy while driving. That is the downside for me

Also remember what does not get practiced gets rusty or not as good. My car doesn't clunk or its not smooth when downshifting because I practice it and got used to the car. Its like everything, the more you work at it the better you get. I don't care if I'm slower or anything of that sort but I do get a satisfaction out of it. If I wanted the car to do stuff for me and be faster than even the manual with revmatching I would have gotten the DCT.

Just want to be able to turn it off and not take everything else off. I don't think its too much to ask. That way all the customers can make their experience how they like. I'm just a hands on guy, I install all my parts and stuff, sure I could pay someone to do it but no satisfaction of acomplishment.

And just some humor,
Imagine having your girl and as much as you want to think you are god in bed the vibrator probably gets her off better. So if the vibrator does it better why would you want to do it? Same thing

Last edited by J3STER; 07-21-2017 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #95
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Is there flat footed upshifting to keep the turbo spooling? Is that even a consideration with this engine/transmission?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #96
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I saw in the bimmercode thread someone turned off rev match by disabling having to press clutch to start vehicle. Something like that. I'll find the post later. Seems people kind of skipped over that and it got lost.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #97
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

I grew up in the UK, and had only ever driven manual gearbox cars until I moved to the US in 2012. At that time I bought a 2012 Jaguar XF, and only accepted this automatic because it had a ZF 6 speed with torque converter lock up in every gear. It's not the same as a DCT, but it's way better than most slush box automatics.

I recently went back home to the UK for a vacation, and borrowed my father's car for the 3 weeks that I was there. His car is nothing special, but again had a manual gearbox. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the interaction that you get with a manual, and it was this experience that led me to pick the M2 I now have on order with a 6MT.

So I'm in agreement with most manual gearbox fans, it's a choice for greater involvement, rather than anything logical. DCT is faster, and more economical, so it's a decision of passion rather than judgement.

What I am surprised to see however, are the discussions about rev-matching...

My neighbour bought a manual gearbox Toyota MR2 at the weekend, and he told me that he was still trying to master down shifts... like it was something complex... I asked him what he was struggling with, because his clutch control was pretty good manoeuvring out of his garage etc., and he said that it was heel-toe that he was having difficulty with.

I taught myself heel-toe when I was about 18. I had a mini at the time, and I found it interesting in a nostalgic kind of way that double de-clutching was something that my parents generation (and older) had to do because either gearboxes didn't have synchromesh, or because it had failed. It was fun to learn, and also quite a talking point with my friends, most of whom didn't know the process, and it does make down shifting slightly smoother.

For track driving, I can absolutely see the benefit of rev-matching heel toe changes. Down-shifts at high speed the inertia of the engine can cause you to loose traction if you just dump the clutch, so it's smoother, faster, less wear on the gearbox, and probably safer as well.

For regular driving however, it's simply not necessary. Almost all cars (except luxury cars) in the UK are manual, and I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the population don't know how to rev-match, and they're not destroying their cars or driving roughly... Synchromesh speeds up the gearbox effortlessly to match the engine revs, which will be lower anyway because your foot is off the gas; release the clutch a fraction slower than just dumping it and you'll get a smooth change using the engine to help slow you down.

Now if my car is going to rev-match for me, great! I'll get the benefits without having to put in as much of the effort when I'm just going to the grocery store.

Are those that are so against the rev-matching feature also against Sychromesh? Is the fact that there are so few manual cars in the US hyping up the requirements that new manual drivers feel that they have to have this heel-toe skill down just to drive a manual at all?!?
Appreciate 2
doug_9992541.50
      07-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #98
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Synchromesh speeds up the gearbox effortlessly to match the engine revs, which will be lower anyway because your foot is off the gas; release the clutch a fraction slower than just dumping it and you'll get a smooth change using the engine to help slow you down.
Doing this eats up your clutch. It might take thousands of miles, but that slow clutch release is creating wear on the clutch & flywheel. The wheels, gearbox, and clutch are already spinning at the correct speed once you get the lever into the new gear, but you are then asking the road to rev up the motor to the correct speed.

A proper throttle-blip to speed up the motor to the correct RPM for the new lower gear is far easier on all components involved. The throttle-blip prolongs the life of components.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #99
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Doing this eats up your clutch. It might take thousands of miles, but that slow clutch release is creating wear on the clutch & flywheel. The wheels, gearbox, and clutch are already spinning at the correct speed once you get the lever into the new gear, but you are then asking the road to rev up the motor to the correct speed.

A proper throttle-blip to speed up the motor to the correct RPM for the new lower gear is far easier on all components involved. The throttle-blip prolongs the life of components.
I've no doubt that is the case, just as using the brakes, wears out brake pads and discs (rotors).

All I'm saying is that 90% of manual gearbox drivers (worldwide) don't do any kind of throttle blip, automated or otherwise, and there is nothing wrong with that, and I'd expect a clutch with this sort of driving to last 75,000 miles.

You may get extra life out of your clutch if you do, along with the other benefits that obviously make sense if you're really driving hard. My concern I guess was based on my neighbour's thinking that heel-toe down changes were necessary rather than an advance skill.

I'm not surprised manual gearboxes have such a tough time being sold if most customers are put-off because they think it requires a lot of practice and skill... My grandmother drove manual until she was 90 years old, never heel-toed, and never wrecked a clutch in her life!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 10:58 PM   #100
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quite a few people I've been in a manual with tend to brake to almost stalling, dip the clutch then accelerate away after selecting the correct gear. Anyway, if you potter along between 1250 and 2000rpm there's not much difference to be worrying about. I can only think of a few that have that annoying habit of using the clutch to slow the car.

Nowadays, the vast majority of the (remaining few) manual drivers I know do rev-match on down-changes.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #101
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta
Quote:

If you want to briefly coast before blip and engagement then revmatch will interfere. Really any other actions other than rapidly downshifting will cause issues. A causal or slower heel toe will conflict as well.

I don't understand the defense of this so called feature. It's a manual. Let's keep it that way. At least let me turn it off. You like it? Good for you. I want less computer interference personally.
      07-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #102
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

I shut the nannies off the other day to rev match on my own. The car does a better job 60% of the time. It is better for the drivetrain too, since there is no over rev or lag/bump if you get it wrong. To each their own. If you are so worried about traction, don't mash the gas.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      07-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #103
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
I shut the nannies off the other day to rev match on my own. The car does a better job 60% of the time. It is better for the drivetrain too, since there is no over rev or lag/bump if you get it wrong. To each their own. If you are so worried about traction, don't mash the gas.
with DSC off and smashing on the gas the deuce does get loose. Whipped me left to right on 2nd gear.
Appreciate 1
McPurrs290.00
      07-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #104
gingiman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2,6MT,MG

gotta love the rev-match!!!

pure joy with every shift
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #105
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I have this on my F56 JCW....IMO a wonderful feature. Only seems to persist when in Sport Mode rather than Comfort in the mini.
      08-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #106
akkando
Major General
Rep

Found a post saying bimmercode can turn off rev match. Can anyone confirm?

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=775

"I accidentally disabled Rev match by disabling "clutch in" when starting car. I forget if it's supposed to be toggled on or off as it's been a long time since I've looked."

Last edited by akkando; 08-13-2017 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 05:02 PM   #107
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post

"I accidentally disabled Rev match by disabling "clutch in" when starting car. I forget if it's supposed to be toggled on or off as it's been a long time since I've looked."
Clicking this link results in a 404 error.
      08-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #108
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Clicking this link results in a 404 error.
try again now.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 03:46 AM   #109
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

So far, I really like it. I'm only 30 miles in of course. I am not well versed at heel-toe, so I appreciate how much smoother it makes downshifting.

I do wish there was another way to turn it off. I would be unlikely to do that, but I can see that some other people would.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 06:59 AM   #110
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post

Did anyone try this to see if this turns off rev match?
Appreciate 0