BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 18" wheels were rubbing on the caliper...

06-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #45
ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr 2 View Post
Thanks Ryan, one more question do oem lug nuts fit or aftermarket tuner ones required?
Most definitely, OEM hardware as well as OEM BMW center caps can be used with all of our wheels.

- Ryan
      07-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #46
Rafstar
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

18x10 et33 EC-7
NITTO NT01 275/35/18
5mm front spacer

07-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #47
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BAN View Post
Glad it was a set you had. I was thinking you took a chance with it and pulled the trigger. This still is valuables info for all of us. I have been set on a 18x9.5 set Tire Rack has been offering, you probably saw the thread but I see the benefit of the square setup to rotate tires easily and maximize their track life but I am concerned with other topics were people mention the computers don't like the non staggered setups and I am not ready to run Full DSC off. And also read people like Randy Pobst saying the M2 plays well with the staggered setup and should be kept that way to retaing its driving dynamics.
I'm going to buy the TR set. I always track with everything off and I wonder if Pobst actually tried a square set up or was just commenting that the factory staggered setup works ok.

In my experience all BMW's do well with a square set up.
I've done 4 track days in my M2 running with the OEM staggered setup. This compares to over 70 days combined in my 235i and 335i. While there was a clear benefit in reducing understeer with my square setup in the E90 and F22, my M2 was neutral at the Glen running with all nannies totally off. This makes me seriously question the need (or benefit) of a square setup in the M2.

So far the only advantage I see with a square setup in the M2 is the ability to rotate all wheels to all corners of the car to even out tire wear. The downside is that a square setup means that each tire will rotate at the exact same number of revolutions per mile while the OEM tire rotations differ from front to rear. I also note that the recommended winter tire setup goes to 18 inch wheel, but with a wider width in the rear (by 1/2 inch or an inch). Therefore this is not truly a traditional square setup.

Again, I'm not sure that it makes sense to go to a square setup in the M2 for track duty.
Attached Images

08-15-2017, 06:41 AM   #48
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
I've done 4 track days in my M2 running with the OEM staggered setup. This compares to over 70 days combined in my 235i and 335i. While there was a clear benefit in reducing understeer with my square setup in the E90 and F22, my M2 was neutral at the Glen running with all nannies totally off. This makes me seriously question the need (or benefit) of a square setup in the M2.

So far the only advantage I see with a square setup in the M2 is the ability to rotate all wheels to all corners of the car to even out tire wear. The downside is that a square setup means that each tire will rotate at the exact same number of revolutions per mile while the OEM tire rotations differ from front to rear. I also note that the recommended winter tire setup goes to 18 inch wheel, but with a wider width in the rear (by 1/2 inch or an inch). Therefore this is not truly a traditional square setup.

Again, I'm not sure that it makes sense to go to a square setup in the M2 for track duty.
Any opinion from our experts about that interesting question ?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 01:38 PM   #49
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafstar View Post
18x10 et33 EC-7
NITTO NT01 275/35/18
5mm front spacer

Would an 18x10 ET25 EC-7 not clear without running on the front?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #50
Rafstar
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Would an 18x10 ET25 EC-7 not clear without running on the front?
et25 might be too aggresive. I have yet to try it
      08-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #51
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Fits easily
Appreciate 1
Polo088161605.50
      08-25-2017, 06:59 AM   #52
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Fits easily
Without camber ???
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #53
ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLO-M2 View Post
Without camber ???
The 18x10" ET25 is an aggressive square fitment, and would require negative camber to prevent rubbing the fenders. For track rats with adjustable camber plates used to stuffing wide compounds under their fenders, sure, the 18x10" ET25 is a worthy solution which will bypass the need for spacers for inner strut clearance (up front). Dialing in a healthy amount of negative camber is also "par for the course" to this type of enthusiast. However for the masses reading this, I would not sum it up as an easy or bolt-on fitment.

If an enthusiast is looking to run a square 10" fitment with extreme summer or r-compounds for track use, wheel fitments requiring negative camber should not be avoided for the simple fact that negative camber is required. Negative camber is not only important for wheel and tire fitment in this environment, but more importantly it is responsible for improving handling characteristics and promoting more consistent tire wear. Without dialing in the right amount of negative camber, enthusiasts will not be able to leverage those expensive track compounds they are installing.

We have a variety of square and staggered fitments available, and we do not want to put every enthusiasts into the same box. Some are looking for a bolt-on solution for the occasional spirited drive or track day, while others are looking to run aggressive track compounds on a frequent basis, and prioritize grip/performance over anything else. Expectations and goals from one enthusiast to the next are quite diverse, therefore our wheel line must be as well.

- Ryan

Last edited by ApexWheels; 08-25-2017 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
OLO-M237.50
      08-25-2017, 01:04 PM   #54
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexRaceParts View Post

We have a variety of square and staggered fitments available, and we do not want to put every enthusiasts into the same box. Some are looking for a bolt-on solution for the occasional spirited drive or track day, while others are looking to run aggressive track compounds on a frequent basis, and prioritize grip/performance over anything else. Expectations and goals from one enthusiast to the next are quite diverse, therefore our wheel line must be as well.

- Ryan

Can you recommend a square 18" Apex wheel fitment that would not require camber, mainly daily driving with 3-4 track days per year? Looking for something that can support a square 265 width tire setup
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 01:31 PM   #55
ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
Can you recommend a square 18" Apex wheel fitment that would not require camber, mainly daily driving with 3-4 track days per year? Looking for something that can support a square 265 width tire setup
The 18x9.5" ET35 is the best candidate for you. They will require 5mm spacers up front for proper inner strut clearance (assuming you are on stock suspension), however this is one of the more street friendly fitments that can be effective for occasional track use as well. I would want to get an idea of what brand 265's you are thinking of running, as some wider compounds may still require you to dial in a touch of camber up front.

Ultimately I would encourage you to install adjustable camber plates up front. 4 events within a year without negative camber is enough to roast the shoulders of your tires. Shoot, a single track weekend without negative camber can do it. Adjustable camber plates pay for themselves in that regard, as it is better to acquire the benefits that camber plates provide for ~$500 rather than rifling through your expensive tires. In the long run, it way more expensive without them.

It is important to mention that there are camber setting that are palatable for street/daily driving and the occasional track day. As long as you leave your toe settings neutral (factory), you are not going to see excessive wear on the street. Furthermore, by installing a true rotatable square wheel & tire fitment, you now have another way of ensuring tire longevity.

- Ryan

Last edited by ApexWheels; 08-25-2017 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
Ex-MINI580.50
Polo088161605.50
      08-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #56
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexRaceParts View Post
The 18x9.5" ET35 is the best candidate for you. They will require 5mm spacers up front for proper inner strut clearance (assuming you are on stock suspension), however this is one of the more street friendly fitments that can be effective for occasional track use as well. I would want to get an idea of what brand 265's you are thinking of running, as some wider compounds may still require you to dial in a touch of camber up front.

Ultimately I would encourage you to install adjustable camber plates up front. 4 events within a year without negative camber is enough to roast the shoulders of your tires. Shoot, a single track weekend without negative camber can do it. Adjustable camber plates pay for themselves in that regard, as it is better to acquire the benefits that camber plates provide for ~$500 rather than rifling through your expensive tires. In the long run, it way more expensive without them.

It is important to mention that there are camber setting that are palatable for street/daily driving and the occasional track day. As long as you leave your toe settings neutral (factory), you are not going to see excessive wear on the street. Furthermore, by installing a true rotatable square wheel & tire fitment, you now have another way of ensuring tire longevity.

- Ryan
Thanks for the quick reply! Planning to run Pilot Sport 4S, or perhaps RE71rs.

I'll keep your camber plate recommendation in mind!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #57
ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Planning to run Pilot Sport 4S, or perhaps RE71rs.

I'll keep your camber plate recommendation in mind!
RE-71r's are fantastic, however as I previously mentioned (and I do not mean to beat a dead horse here ), without neg camber you will not be able to fully take advantage of their abilities and you will wear the shoulders out very quickly resulting in another ~$1200 set if tires.

- Ryan
      08-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #58
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

[/QUOTE]

RE-71r's are fantastic,

- Ryan[/QUOTE]

It's a shame that they are not sold in EU :-(
I can't understand why when I read you US passionate posts...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #59
ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLO-M2 View Post

It's a shame that they are not sold in EU :-(
I can't understand why when I read you US passionate posts...
It's okay, we have been on the other side of that fence many times, more specifically with car model availability

- Ryan
      08-25-2017, 11:47 PM   #60
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Appreciate 0