BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Answer to why M2 has no M mirrors, how it is with M buttons, etc

11-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #45
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris The Manx View Post
Thanks op but that argument on the mirrors falls down completely as the M3/4 also have vastly different (more so) bodies than their 3/4 series counterparts.
It's not worded correctly, I had read in a previous interview that the reason they aren't on the M2 is because they do not fit on the 2 series platform.

Soon.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #46
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexResistance View Post
The M2 isn't going to be special
When were you able to drive it?

Quote:
when the M235i is able to keep up with it in 99% of driving situations.
Statistically, mechanically, and undeniably false.

Soon.
Appreciate 4
      11-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #47
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post

I understand you need to stand by your money....

Given most people who buy the M2, will never drive it on the track, yes the M235i will match it in 99% of driving conditions.
      11-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #48
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And I understand you need to stand by your 135i JB4 N55.

It has absolutely nothing to do with that, your logic is just incoherent. I understand people don't like the car, and I don't care, but if you're going to make statements that the car simply 'isn't special' and that's why it's a failure, back it up and tell me why you didn't like your experience behind the wheel.

Soon.
Appreciate 4
      11-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #49
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Completely agreed. I wonder if he's driven an M235i at the track back-to-back with true M cars. The M235i has trouble keeping up with the X6 M, and bear in mind I'm talking about more than laptimes but also talking about how stable and agile a car is on track, how easy it is for a driver to adjust its attitude mid-corner, how hard you can stand on the brakes without upsetting the rear end, things like this.

I always laugh when anyone tries to compare an M model to a standard series-production BMW. There really is no comparison and no chance of capturing the overall driving experience with some simple mods or tweaks. This is coming from someone who is replacing an E92 M3 with a standard F30, I know what I'm giving up and it's the right choice for me at this time but the driving experience is on a completely different level. Even if the M2 was really "just the M3 suspension and brakes" that alone would make it worth its price, IMO.
Appreciate 4
      11-12-2015, 02:53 PM   #50
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Good info - thanks for sharing this! I'd actually be interested in all the details if you don't mind sharing more.

A couple questions for you that maybe you can help with...
  • Have they shared whether the M Performance coil over kit will come with progressive or linear springs?
  • Will there be the capability to adjust the settings for each of drive modes (Normal, Sport, etc.) in the iDrive settings menus?
  • Is there confirmation that the stock suspension is indeed passive (not adaptive as some have seen in marketing literature)?
Regarding your #5, as another poster noted already, I imagine you meant the M2 M Performance exhaust, right?

Thanks again!
I highly, HIGHLY doubt they will offer linear spring with their M Performance coilver kit. Because then they are tasked with offering different spring rates or have people complain about how stiff the ride is.

I love my 600# on my TCK in my M Coupe at the track, but driving on the street isn't exactly what I would call comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #51
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Given most people who buy the M2, will never drive it on the track, yes the M235i will match it in 99% of driving conditions.
Ah, you've edited your statement, adding that bottom sentence. Should have made a new comment about it. So the evolution of the discussion makes sense and isn't anachronistic.

And hmm.

Well I guess a 435i M sport will match the M4 in 99% of driving conditions.

I guess a 335i M sport will match the M3 in 99% of driving conditions.

Again, that GOES WITH SAYING that I am referring to street driving, which you did not state.

Ya know, a vast majority of every BMW model don't track their cars.

That statement doesn't take anything away from the M2, M3, M4, M5, or M6.

The logical fallacies continue.

Soon.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #52
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Completely agreed. I wonder if he's driven an M235i at the track back-to-back with true M cars. The M235i has trouble keeping up with the X6 M, and bear in mind I'm talking about more than laptimes but also talking about how stable and agile a car is on track, how easy it is for a driver to adjust its attitude mid-corner, how hard you can stand on the brakes without upsetting the rear end, things like this.

I always laugh when anyone tries to compare an M model to a standard series-production BMW. There really is no comparison and no chance of capturing the overall driving experience with some simple mods or tweaks. This is coming from someone who is replacing an E92 M3 with a standard F30, I know what I'm giving up and it's the right choice for me at this time but the driving experience is on a completely different level. Even if the M2 was really "just the M3 suspension and brakes" that alone would make it worth its price, IMO.
Im not looking to compare the M2 with a standard bmw model, directly.

I have driven the E90/92 M3, F80 M3 and a 1M on the track. There really is no comparison to how they drive vs. a standard BMW. That's not my point.
my point is for 10K more than the base price of the M2, you can get a base Model F82 M4. Which will have a nicer interior, better seats, and better aesthetics. The M2 should have been priced the same as the loaded M235i, for a base price (+/- 1k) and should have the basic ///M stuff. Like ///M mirrors, MDM button, and different seats than the basic car. AT A MINIMUM. Your wonderful friends in the accounting department ruined the M2.
      11-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #53
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

What a BS answer for the mirrors
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #54
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Agree 100% - including the part about the S55! I'm happy that BMW spent the time and money enhancing the N55 to make it better for the M2 (something which they did not bother to do with the N54 for the 1M). I for one am not complaining about no "M mirrors" - or "M motor" for the M2.
MEH

The N54 internals are more stout than the N55's hence the need for BMW to use the S55's. The only change in the engine tweaking recipe is the upgraded intercooler. Hopefully, it's good enough to not need an aftermarket one.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #55
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Or get a tuner to fix it for you... In the end it is just a setting in the code

MR
Coding ( AKA the digital screwdriver) for the win..
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #56
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
There is no such thing as an ///M mirror. Do all of the ///M vehicles share a design element that is consistent for all of them? I sure don't think so.

What the guys with their torches and pitchforks are mad about is that the M2 doesn't have bespoke mirrors, that are different than the "regular" 2 series. If we take a look at the way M cars are developed (aka, off the "regular" model), then you can see how many aspects of an M car are going to be the same as the base model. The mirrors of the M2 fall into this category.

Even the M3/4's engine is 75% the same as a "regular" N55 - and you don't hear anyone bitching about that. It's not a big deal, and is something that will provide the aftermarket community (BMW performance included I am sure) with many different options.

And since the overall formula was to emulate the development process of the 1M (max performance and ///M experience at the entry price level), then you have to understand why a shit-ton of time wasn't spent on the mirrors. BMW (thankfully) put time and effort (and $$$$) into the fucking suspension, brakes, handling, exhaust (better than the M3/4 by most accounts), etc, etc...

I actually went into my garage the other day and looked at the mirrors on my Cayman - I am not sure I had ever noticed them before...
I think once this car comes out, and people actually start driving it everyone is going to forget about the mirror and the roof and the 'hood bulge.'

Not to poop on the party, but I must say that I do find myself looking at my bespoke mirrors all the time while driving, especially with the windows down.

Also, the M3 engine is based off the N54, true twin turbo, no single turbo twin scroll. I think that makes a HUGE difference. I had a 335is before with the N54, and the LCI 335 with the N55 was a let down imo vs the true twin turbo...
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #57
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
It has an ECO mode? haha
Well.. my E90ZCP6MT has a start/stop function..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:09 PM   #58
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacMeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
It has an ECO mode? haha
Well.. my E90ZCP6MT has a start/stop function..
Start/stop doesn't require you to put the car in Eco mode, which in the M235i, reduces the accelerator response. In the auto it also shifts early, holds the highest gear possible, and engages coasting- as well as activating start/stop.
      11-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #59
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

The body is so different they decided to give it no M mirrors? Lol That's a cop out!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #60
tc328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
All bullshit to me
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #61
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

I learned something fairly quickly... BMWs (and pretty much ANY car) are not meant to be track cars. They are street cars that are capable on the track (BMWs typically more so than other non-supercars). Even "sports cars" aren't great track cars because they have to be designed to be driven easily and comfortably on the street (at least nowadays).

To illustrate my point, here are lap times at my local track, different cars, different days, but the weather was all roughly equal. I took the average of my 5 fastest laps for the day and rounded it to the nearest full second. You can quickly see that just by adding suspension, braking, and seating components, the car became considerably quicker than the difference between the street version (3.0si) and "track" version (M Coupe).

The tradeoff is that the M Coupe is a little more uncomfortable to drive on the street.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #62
Janerz
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Electrostar 377

I don't understand why the M2 couldn't have its own BISPOKE mirrors? Why dues it have to have anything to do with the rest of the 2 series line up? Would it REALLY cost that much more to develop a mirror?!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #63
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

Mirrors - Yea. It was a lame response from BMW. They cheaped out.

Performance et al - Even if it were possible to take a M235 and apply the same mods to the suspension, diff, steering, and engine and then to have a crew of engineering professionals tune and test it to a higher performance standard, the price would be absolutely insane. How much fun a 235 or 240 will be compared to the M2 is certainly subjective with variables from driver to location, but that doesn't speak to how different the vehicles are going to be. Seems like in an M2 I'll be looking for opportunities to enjoy the car out in the hills rather than expecting a car to make crowded city streets something they aren't.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #64
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerz View Post
I don't understand why the M2 couldn't have its own BISPOKE mirrors? Why dues it have to have anything to do with the rest of the 2 series line up? Would it REALLY cost that much more to develop a mirror?!
short answer? Yes. Probably would have upped the base price a bit without having substantial returns on the specific model itself.

Not to mention the negative product in opportunity cost that may arise from the additional set of new mirrors causing slower production times for other cars that are produced in the same plant.

Yup, bespoke mirrors for the M2 could essentially raise the base price of the X1. It's really not that hard to understand if you take a look at manufacturing processes, legality issues, and logistical optimization.

Soon.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #65
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerz View Post
It's all about the dollars. Probably a million bucks to make and design bespoke mirrors, I'm not kidding.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #66
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
short answer? Yes. Probably would have upped the base price a bit without having substantial returns on the specific model itself.
Wrong answer. It's no, because the basic design already exists on other current M cars. That means 90 percent of development is done, son. It's cost-cutting, pure and simple.

Quote:
Not to mention the negative product in opportunity cost that may arise from the additional set of new mirrors causing slower production times for other cars that are produced in the same plant.
This made me laugh out loud -- at work, no less. So what do you think the S-derived engine components do? And the new bumpers and bodywork? Do you have any idea how manufacturing lines work in a large factory? Retool tweaks happen all the time. That's all that really had to happen to begin producing the M2 at Leipzig -- a task that, logistically, likely happened during the July model-year work break.

Quote:
Yup, bespoke mirrors for the M2 could essentially raise the base price of the X1. It's really not that hard to understand if you take a look at manufacturing processes, legality issues, and logistical optimization.
Wow. Your BS capability is immense. Props, sir. I'm sure the embossed M on the what are essentially stock 2-series seats lifted base prices, then. That had to have been the tradeoff: an embossing machine!

Appreciate 0