BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > For people who have owned the OG M2 & an S55

10-20-2023, 01:36 PM   #23
timchump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 OG -> M2 Comp

I’m going to keep my comp for 6 months…. getting a miltek equal length exhaust fitted in the next few days, and going for the cs engine, gearbox and diff tune.
I’ll give it a good chance.

Though I wouldn’t be surprised if I find my way back into an OG sooner or later it’s such a great all rounder it has everything I want in a car

I’d love the comp to sound like the OG or even close to it, I really would, It would be a no brainer upgrade, shame BMW “tune” the sound of their exhausts like Mercedes.

I’m hoping the miltek exhaust will give me enough of a sound to feel excited about going fast again
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 01:45 PM   #24
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by timchump View Post
I’m going to keep my comp for 6 months…. getting a miltek equal length exhaust fitted in the next few days, and going for the cs engine, gearbox and diff tune.
I’ll give it a good chance.

Though I wouldn’t be surprised if I find my way back into an OG sooner or later it’s such a great all rounder it has everything I want in a car

I’d love the comp to sound like the OG or even close to it, I really would, It would be a no brainer upgrade, shame BMW “tune” the sound of their exhausts like Mercedes.

I’m hoping the miltek exhaust will give me enough of a sound to feel excited about going fast again
I hate to tell you that you're wasting your money, but good on you for giving it a chance. Just make sure to keep your stuff in good condition so you can mitigate the loss upon sale.

The terrible sound of the S55 can't be fixed because it's not the exhaust, it's the 2nd turbo. If it were the exhaust the deep-pocket guys would have already found a solution, but none exists.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 01:59 PM   #25
timchump
Private
Rep

I have to give it a chance even if I go back to the m2 at least I can say I have experienced an m2 comp to the full.
Have you?
There seem to be plenty of happy M2C owners
I’m just not one of them yet…..
I dont believe I will ever get the sound of the n55 back but if I can improve it enough then there is a chance I could keep it for awhile

There are plenty of cars that have 2 turbos that sound good the C63AMG springs to mind
Yes that has a v8 that sounds amazing of course but the BMW straight 6 sounds good also
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 02:01 PM   #26
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
the og sounds better than the comp but its not that great, if you want sound then get a e9x, now that is a good sounding car. I feel like OG owners think they have some sort of v12 sound on their cars or something.
Nah, while the OG N55 M2 sounds nice, it’s nowhere close to the nicest sounding cars out there. Even the RS3 with one fewer cylinder sounds far better.

And while I love the stock exhaust note on my OG, I also really miss the lovely boxer rumble from the SPT exhaust on my prior WRX.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 02:10 PM   #27
timchump
Private
Rep

Agree with that

But the OG has better looks and handling characteristics than the Audi
And the the sounds is still very good

I’m still in love with the OG
I better leave it there
Appreciate 1
jefe2000739.50
      10-20-2023, 04:03 PM   #28
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I actually was going by the current selling price when I said 13k more for the C. It's impossible to go back 5 years to the launch of the C.
I checked autotrader, it looks like on average the 2019 C asking price is going at 55k to 60k +. The 2018 OG is going at 37k to 48k. That was just price and around 30k miles, YMMV. Of course cars that have under 10k miles are in a different category.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 10-20-2023 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 07:41 PM   #29
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
This is a classic M2C owner response.

1. Talk about the power.
2. Talk about how the OG doesn't sound that great, and that something else sounds better.

Bimmerpost always has the best confirmation bias of any board.
come on, after I said that if you not gonna track the OG is probably the better car. I don't give 2 craps about what car people pick, I love the OG, I almost bought on. Just think that it does not sound as good as most make it seem to sound. I am sorry its just my opinion, it sounds better than the M2c but just ok at best. Way better cars out there if what you are looking for is sound and if you just gonna drive on the street then sound is definitely something you should be looking for.

Also of course you gonna talk about power, the comp is the more powerful car and the faster car around the track so why would someone not talk about this when comparing the 2? I get it, you want the car to take pictures of, which is great, I actually think the OG is the better looking of the 2 but there are other people out there actually driving these things
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2023, 07:43 PM   #30
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
the e9x sounds better than the m2c but its not that great, if you want sound then get a hemi or chevy v8, now that is a good sounding car. Dork.
I actually think the e9x with a nice exhaust sounds better than any of the american V8s, also looks better and obviously a better drivers car.
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2431.50
      10-20-2023, 09:32 PM   #31
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Just think that it does not sound as good as most make it seem to sound. Way better cars out there if what you are looking for is sound.
You are entitled to your opinion, for sure. But other cars have no business in this discussion. The OG sounds the best of the OG/M2C/CS cars, and by quite a margin.

Quote:
Also of course you gonna talk about power, the comp is the more powerful car and the faster car around the track so why would someone not talk about this when comparing the 2? I get it, you want the car to take pictures of, which is great, I actually think the OG is the better looking of the 2 but there are other people out there actually driving these things
The discussion isn't about power, it's about sound. And there is no need to attack my profession, that's pretty lame. Lastly, just because I take pretty pictures doesn't mean I don't ACTUALLY DRIVE my car, I was at the Dragon last weekend...trying to boil my fluid...and up over 100 mph more times than I can count.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
DanG10662.00
///M TOWN16543.50
gphung193.50
Resoelg244.00
qnet681.50
      10-20-2023, 09:39 PM   #32
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
I have to give it a chance even if I go back to the m2 at least I can say I have experienced an m2 comp to the full.
Have you?
I have. I love it, as it's largely very much the same as my OG, it's just that the exhaust is a deal-breaker. I also much prefer the low-end grunt of the OG.

But to each their own!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 10:13 PM   #33
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
Does the s55 also sound bad in the m3/4s with it? I’ve never heard it mentioned.
Quote:
check out the new valvetronic exhaust setup, sounds pretty good to me.

the m2c is a better track car because of the cooling + more power but if you don't track it it really is not a worth while upgrade.

the og sounds better than the comp but its not that great, if you want sound then get a e9x, now that is a good sounding car. I feel like OG owners think they have some sort of v12 sound on their cars or something.
It highly depends on the track itself

Short track the Comp has little to no advantage
      10-20-2023, 10:15 PM   #34
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Have you?
There seem to be plenty of happy M2C owners
I’m just not one of them yet…..
I dont believe I will ever get the sound of the n55 back but if I can improve it enough then there is a chance I could keep it for awhile

There are plenty of cars that have 2 turbos that sound good the C63AMG springs to mind
Yes that has a v8 that sounds amazing of course but the BMW straight 6 sounds good also
Rent one on Turo for a weekend
      10-21-2023, 02:03 AM   #35
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, for sure. But other cars have no business in this discussion. The OG sounds the best of the OG/M2C/CS cars, and by quite a margin.

The discussion isn't about power, it's about sound. And there is no need to attack my profession, that's pretty lame. Lastly, just because I take pretty pictures doesn't mean I don't ACTUALLY DRIVE my car, I was at the Dragon last weekend...trying to boil my fluid...and up over 100 mph more times than I can count.
Not attacking your profession, sorry if it came out that way. I love your pictures they are great.

Tons of ppl drive their ogs hard and for most (including myself) they are enough. 99% of the people will not benefit from the comp but it has been documented that it has better cooling which will be a big benefit on the track, brakes are also marginally better (minus weight and annoyance of pad change) but they do cope with heat better it seems. Also a tune can add power easily, which I dont think it needs.

Trust me I don’t care if people don’t like the comp or its sound, I don’t feel attacked because I own it, it has been a great car and for what I use it, 90% track now a days it has shinned. Maybe I just don’t care about sound as much as others because to me it does not even sound that bad, certainly no as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but I do like the og sound better
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      10-21-2023, 02:05 AM   #36
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
It highly depends on the track itself

Short track the Comp has little to no advantage
I agree for sure
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 06:23 AM   #37
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
I actually think the OG is the better looking of the 2 but there are other people out there actually driving these things
I have both the OG and the comp and while I think the OG sounds better I find the comp to be better looking.

Subjectiveness is a funny thing but I do enjoy driving the comp more and still can't figure out why...
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16543.50
      10-21-2023, 07:41 AM   #38
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ss View Post
I have both the OG and the comp and while I think the OG sounds better I find the comp to be better looking.

Subjectiveness is a funny thing but I do enjoy driving the comp more and still can't figure out why...
I think the og looks more classy, comp looks more aggressive and modern. Both are nice but I do think the front of the og will age better overall, its more similar to the 1m imo.

I have to drive an og, I have been in one a few times but did not drive it. Would love to do a back to back at the track.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 08:52 AM   #39
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ss View Post

One of the weird things (to me) is that every Comp I drive feels more "refined." I wish I could put it down to something, like maybe the strut brace? But they all sound quieter, and just more refined. I do find that weird. I don't notice the additional weight at all, feels just like my car. Then again, I didn't notice when I added FI-R's and CCB's to my OG. I just don't think it's enough weight to make a difference unless you're Senna.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 01:51 PM   #40
timchump
Private
Rep

Completely agree the comp handles small bumps a lot better than the OG
Today I lowered my comp after 7 full days of ownership
Using Eibachs and it’s still more refined.
Even than the OG was on standard springs
Apparently there are no part changes on the suspension set up
But to me there is a big difference in how the comp handles bumps in the road
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      10-21-2023, 02:23 PM   #41
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Completely agree the comp handles small bumps a lot better than the OG
Today I lowered my comp after 7 full days of ownership
Using Eibachs and it’s still more refined.
Even than the OG was on standard springs
Apparently there are no part changes on the suspension set up
But to me there is a big difference in how the comp handles bumps in the road
Heavier engine. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=51

Last edited by murderspice; 10-21-2023 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 04:44 PM   #42
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
You can never get an M2C to sound like an OG M2. There are options to improve the sound but it still will be inferior to your old M2. Here is a link to M Performance exhaust on an M2C.
M2 OG exhaust and problem solved.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 05:23 PM   #43
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I must be one of the only people that thinks the competition exhaust sounds just fine. I like the rasp. I have had the OG and my current comp. I had the fabspeed downpipe on my OG with stock exhaust and it sounded ok. Just loud. But you don’t really hear either exhaust in the car anyways. Windows closed stereo on they both sound the same to me. I would actually prefer my car to be like on 911 turbo S. No loud exhaust, just a wooshing sound and its gone.
      10-21-2023, 06:32 PM   #44
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe2000 View Post
Nah, while the OG N55 M2 sounds nice, it’s nowhere close to the nicest sounding cars out there. Even the RS3 with one fewer cylinder sounds far better.
"Far better" is an opinion, not a fact, and I'd wager that more people would pick the N55 sound over the DXHABT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
M2 OG exhaust and problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Windows closed stereo on they both sound the same to me.
You're a rare bird driving an M2, but certainly carry on.
Appreciate 1
DanG10662.00