BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Rattling/chattering occasionally while idling

12-14-2023, 08:24 AM   #1
Oda6
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

Rattling/chattering occasionally while idling

Hey guys,

I’m new here, I just bought my 2021 M2C MT w/ 10k miles a week ago. Car drives flawlessly with zero issues in drive ability. A couple days ago I noticed the car makes a rattling/chattering sound while idling, if you press in the clutch the sound goes away and when you release it you can hear it again. It typically only does this after being fully warmed up. The sound isn’t always present but seems to be more frequent when releasing the clutch quickly. Most of the time it’s not very loud either. If you are sitting at the light and it’s not making the sound, pumping the clutch once or twice might induce it. Some times when idling it doesn’t make the sound at all.

Is this just normal flywheel sounds that the car makes or should I be concerned?
Is this something many others experience?

Car is a single owner CPO w/ 10k miles and Manual transmission. Car drives and looks very clean. I have made an appointment for service in a few days but wanted to do some additional research.

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 10:40 AM   #2
Oda6
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoM2C View Post
From my experience with other cars, the symptoms you are describing is usually an indication of an issue with the input shaft bearings.
Ughhh that’s what I feared. Damn.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 01:24 PM   #3
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

Mine has been doing that since day 1

Currently just over 60k miles and it still drives like new
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 02:00 PM   #4
TSLM
Rep
Drives: M2C

Oda6 do you hear this noise during clutch take-up? As in, from a stop, slowing letting the clutch out with normal throttle input for takeoff?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 02:35 PM   #5
Oda6
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSLM View Post
Oda6 do you hear this noise during clutch take-up? As in, from a stop, slowing letting the clutch out with normal throttle input for takeoff?

No only when idling. When I first got the car a week ago I heard it a couple times when first starting to move but I think that was because I wasn’t giving it enough gas. That was day one. Since I’ve gotten use to the clutch I have not heard that since. Seems like that was technique.

So to answer your question, no I’m only hearing it during idle.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 02:37 PM   #6
Oda6
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthFader View Post
Mine has been doing that since day 1

Currently just over 60k miles and it still drives like new
Okay that’s more reassuring. I had read that other people experience it without negative side effects. Hopefully it’s just the sound the DMF makes at times.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0