BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Any hint at BMW Individual on the M2?

10-31-2015, 07:08 AM   #89
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl View Post
Well it's 2015 now. It cannot hurt to ask BMW, which is the *only* entity that (1) knows the answer for sure and (2) actually has the ability to make the decision.

Also, if we want to go back in time, when Dackelone toured the plant in 2010 there were 39 paint colors on a color chart at the factory: "In the paint shop is where I noticed something interesting. In the back were the workers monitored the robots… they had up on the wall, paint samples of every car color. They used the fuel door, as a paint sample pallet. What surprised me was I counted 39 colors in all!!! I saw that “power green” color… but also this really bright yellow and mustard colors. Also a darker Power Green and some other plain weird colors. I also saw some more bronze and browns too." http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393421
It doesn't matter how many paint samples were on the wall... I think the issue is that in a production line that is set up to deliver the car within a range of specs (colors), it is often difficult to change things without interrupting build flow and slow down the line. The reality is BMW "could" do it but if the plant isn't set up to accommodate it (which, by all reports, this particular plant is not) then it is very likely cost prohibitive.

The economics don't make sense to have a custom process for a very small number of owners when the plant isn't set up to accommodate it... well, without a VERY large premium to do it.

You are right, however, that no one knows other than BMW and we will have to wait and see... I wouldn't get my hopes up, however.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2015, 07:31 AM   #90
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Well it's 2015 now. It cannot hurt to ask BMW, which is the *only* entity that (1) knows the answer for sure and (2) actually has the ability to make the decision.

Also, if we want to go back in time, when Dackelone toured the plant in 2010 there were 39 paint colors on a color chart at the factory: "In the paint shop is where I noticed something interesting. In the back were the workers monitored the robots… they had up on the wall, paint samples of every car color. They used the fuel door, as a paint sample pallet. What surprised me was I counted 39 colors in all!!! I saw that “power green” color… but also this really bright yellow and mustard colors. Also a darker Power Green and some other plain weird colors. I also saw some more bronze and browns too." http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393421
As you see on the photos it is only the metal parts that are painted in the paintbox. The plastic parts (bumpers, sides etc) come pre-painted from other lines so it is logistically not efficient to do other colors than the standard colors offered.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2015, 01:13 PM   #91
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

Yea... I saw all those cool colors at Leipzig. Still BMW AG won't offer Individual color options on any car made at Leipzig. That includes... 1er four door hatch, 2er Coupe and Vert, @2er Active Tourer and Grand Tourer, i3 and i8's. BMW won't offer Individual colors on these cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
As said above, it can be done but you have to have contacts and $$$. I think I remember someone getting quoted from a high up in M Germany something like $15k for the 1M. It gets painted the normal color then taken next door, stripped to the bare metal, and re-painted.

That's not the typical "individual" program where its taken off the line, painted, and put back on the line.
The guys at ///M GmbH told me it was something like 40K euros!!! Thats why even the Prince of Bayern ordered his 1M in AW(and as a stripper! ie: No Options), bc he wanted the car pure ///M.

There were only a very few customers who had deep enough pockets to order there 1M's in non production colors. There were two in Monte Carlo Blue, two in Polaris Silver, two in Atacama Yellow and two in Mamba Green(or Power Green) color.

Here is the Prince of Bayern picking up his 1M stripper...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-31-2015, 02:36 PM   #92
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I wouldn't be surprised if it cost that much for Individual cars in that plant. I don't know if other cars painted Individuals are pulled off the line or not, but it is hilariously expensive to stop the line to pull 1 car out. I don't know if you guys know or not, but the speed of the line is counted in seconds. Any line stoppage is a huge deal. And then you have to consider that the suppliers have to paint the hang on parts such as the bumpers too.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 06:32 AM   #93
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yea... I saw all those cool colors at Leipzig. Still BMW AG won't offer Individual color options on any car made at Leipzig. That includes... 1er four door hatch, 2er Coupe and Vert, @2er Active Tourer and Grand Tourer, i3 and i8's. BMW won't offer Individual colors on these cars.

The guys at ///M GmbH told me it was something like 40K euros!!! Thats why even the Prince of Bayern ordered his 1M in AW(and as a stripper! ie: No Options), bc he wanted the car pure ///M.

There were only a very few customers who had deep enough pockets to order there 1M's in non production colors. There were two in Monte Carlo Blue, two in Polaris Silver, two in Atacama Yellow and two in Mamba Green(or Power Green) color.

Here is the Prince of Bayern picking up his 1M stripper...
The price to Individualise a BMW 1er M Coupe was the equivalent to another 1er M Coupe. As you stop production,factor in employee wages for the specific line and supplier hold-ups and transportation so it is not feasible as it would be the same for the M2.

Asking why the Green Mamba car got through is simple as the 1er E87 was finishing production and winding down.
At the moment Leipzig is the full volume plant with full production in effect of the 2er models,1er, i3 and i8 and other models will be manufactured in the not-so-distant future. Plant Leipzig is a model of efficient time orientation, making deadlines and fulfilling daily production quotas.
They will not disturb the production lines just because you don't like a color.
      11-01-2015, 06:50 AM   #94
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The price to Individualise a BMW 1er M Coupe was the equivalent to another 1er M Coupe. As you stop production,factor in employee wages for the specific line and supplier hold-ups and transportation so it is not feasible as it would be the same for the M2.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #95
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25, F86, G01

I was recently at the M studio and asked. The economics don't fit for a number of reasons. Leipzig nor the 2 series is appropriate for Individual. The average 2 series buyer isn't going to be interested in spending the kind of money for Individual and its quite an investment for BMW to set up Individual for a production line.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #96
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibookM3 View Post
I was recently at the M studio and asked. The economics don't fit for a number of reasons. Leipzig nor the 2 series is appropriate for Individual. The average 2 series buyer isn't going to be interested in spending the kind of money for Individual and its quite an investment for BMW to set up Individual for a production line.
That is a shame.
Appreciate 0