BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Canadian Deliveries

07-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #133
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
Yep, thanks...did all that...have tracked the car to Halifax....now its been sitting at the port since Monday, but no update on the Hansen site.
Great,hopefully it will be shipped out of Halifax this week.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #134
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

OP updated with a few new additions and some locations. If anyone else would like to share their location, let me know.

I plan on pulling as many as I can from people's profiles - if you do not want to share, let me know and I will take it down.

- G
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #135
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
OP updated with a few new additions and some locations. If anyone else would like to share their location, let me know.

I plan on pulling as many as I can from people's profiles - if you do not want to share, let me know and I will take it down.

- G
Toronto

gmzanatta, what 'coating' are getting applied?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #136
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
Toronto

gmzanatta, what 'coating' are getting applied?
My dealership offers Xzilon, which is a molecular adhesion compound. Helps protect against UV, bird crap, etc. and comes with a 10 year warranty.

Basically it goes on the whole car and makes it super, super slippery - it was originally developed by Boeing to reduce drag in planes. If you coat the car with this stuff and then try to apply a Xpel clear bra, it won't stick.

Since I can't use the traditional sacrificial anode method for rust protection, the coating also helps protect against salt and harshness of winter too.

There's a cool demo video where a rep goes to a BMW dealership, whips out a can of black spray paint and proceeds, much to the audiences despair, to spray a MW 3 series on the hood. He dries it up, then wipes the whole thing off with a cloth. It's impressive.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #137
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
My dealership offers Xzilon, which is a molecular adhesion compound. Helps protect against UV, bird crap, etc. and comes with a 10 year warranty.

Basically it goes on the whole car and makes it super, super slippery - it was originally developed by Boeing to reduce drag in planes. If you coat the car with this stuff and then try to apply a Xpel clear bra, it won't stick.

Since I can't use the traditional sacrificial anode method for rust protection, the coating also helps protect against salt and harshness of winter too.

There's a cool demo video where a rep goes to a BMW dealership, whips out a can of black spray paint and proceeds, much to the audiences despair, to spray a MW 3 series on the hood. He dries it up, then wipes the whole thing off with a cloth. It's impressive.
so if you do this, you wont have any stone chip protection correct? I guess you could add the stone chip protection film first
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #138
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
so if you do this, you wont have any stone chip protection correct? I guess you could add the stone chip protection film first
The coating does provide some protection, since it's essentially a "hard shell" for the car.

As for the film: Meh. Never really understood people's obsession with the film - it's not going to protect you from a bad stone chip, just the occasional mild scratch from a pebble. If it's a chip bad enough to take off a layer of paint, it'll take off the film and it won't be able to heal and then you get intrusion underneath and that can be a nightmare.

The film is no good after a few winters anyway - it peels too fast, I've found, when salt is used on the roads.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #139
vugz10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BB6 Prelude, F87 M2

Quote:
The coating does provide some protection, since it's essentially a "hard shell" for the car.

As for the film: Meh. Never really understood people's obsession with the film - it's not going to protect you from a bad stone chip, just the occasional mild scratch from a pebble. If it's a chip bad enough to take off a layer of paint, it'll take off the film and it won't be able to heal and then you get intrusion underneath and that can be a nightmare.

The film is no good after a few winters anyway - it peels too fast, I've found, when salt is used on the roads.
Can you tell us how much you're paying for Xzilon?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #140
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugz10 View Post
Can you tell us how much you're paying for Xzilon?
$0

They wouldn't budge on MSRP so I got the coating for free

Regular price at my dealership depends on size of the car due to time needed for application. EDIT 1: confirmed price with them for M2, it would have cost $800.

EDIT 2: One thing I should note to all interested in Xzilon is with regards to application. While you can technically buy the product in a spray can to apply at home, it is NOT the same as getting it done at a dealership or pro shop. There are plenty of reviews saying the product is bad and every single one of those was a home-made application. I'll try and find a video showing a car done half at home and half professionally, it's night and day.

Dealerships and pro shops have access to the bulk liquid and essentially soak the car in the stuff and let it sit there a while. This gives vastly different results from the home-made spray can solution. I equate it to painting you car - you can do it with a spray can, but it's gonna look like shit.

It's the same as painting and polishing - while you can do it at home, it's best not to fuck up your car and leave it to the professionals.

Last edited by gmzanatta; 07-07-2016 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #141
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
$0

They wouldn't budge on MSRP so I got the coating for free

Regular price at my dealership depends on size of the car due to time needed for application. EDIT 1: confirmed price with them for M2, it would have cost $800.

EDIT 2: One thing I should note to all interested in Xzilon is with regards to application. While you can technically buy the product in a spray can to apply at home, it is NOT the same as getting it done at a dealership or pro shop. There are plenty of reviews saying the product is bad and every single one of those was a home-made application. I'll try and find a video showing a car done half at home and half professionally, it's night and day.

Dealerships and pro shops have access to the bulk liquid and essentially soak the car in the stuff and let it sit there a while. This gives vastly different results from the home-made spray can solution. I equate it to painting you car - you can do it with a spray can, but it's gonna look like shit.

It's the same as painting and polishing - while you can do it at home, it's best not to fuck up your car and leave it to the professionals.

Thanks for the info

I won't be driving it in winter so film still an option but I like the idea of the Xzilon.
I had a clear bra on my g37 that covered front section of hood and I could clearly see the protection it offered. Plenty of stone chips on unprotected part (thanks dump trucks!), and not a speck on the protected part. I think it was just some 3M film the dealer did for free.
The rear rocker panel had some film too and it got pretty chewed up however. But not to the point of damaging the underlying paint. Guess it depends on thickness of films...would imagine they vary.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #142
///M²
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Not sure about this Xzilon stuff, especially being done at a dealership.

As far as coatings go, you usually hear about CQuartz Finest and Opti-Coat Pro as the staple products done by the pro shops. They also do a paint correction before applying the product to seal in that shine, cost around $1300 if the vehicle is brand new off the lot, could be more for older cars due to longer prep.

Free doesn't always equal good. I 'd be careful.
      07-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #143
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2ME2
Not sure about this Xzilon stuff, especially being done at a dealership.

As far as coatings go, you usually hear about CQuartz Finest and Opti-Coat Pro as the staple products done by the pro shops. They also do a paint correction before applying the product to seal in that shine, cost around $1300 if the vehicle is brand new off the lot, could be more for older cars due to longer prep.

Free doesn't always equal good. I 'd be careful.
I've seen it before on several cars from my dealership, so I'm not going in blind.

And it's nothing is really free...it's definitely less cost to them then a typical cut below MSRP for a car sale.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #144
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04A6 2.7T(DD), 16M2 BSM MT EP

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S ...  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr261 View Post
Mine had a production date of Friday Nov 27 2015
3 M2's produced 11.27.2015
WBS1H9C53GV351872
WBS1H9C55GV351873
WBS1H9C57GV351874

yours is the 75th NA M2 built!
WBS1H9C57GV351874 LBB 6MT,the only canadian one produced that day;

the other two are BSM US vehicles
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #145
Deutsches Blut
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i E92 M Sport / 2008 C

Timelines

Hello All,

New to this forum, but longtime German Car lover. So in others words, my name is ........., and I'm a German Caroholic. Yes, I admit it, I have the disease.

All joking aside, I have been reading the forum (pre member) for years and it has given me a wealth of knowledge and answers to my queries on so many occasions. Thanks all for that. I know that with engagement one always gets more so here I am. Hopefully I can add a little from time to time, but at the end of the day, I know this can only add to my wisdom, or lack there of, depending on whom you ask.
- My apologies for rambling.

So here is my fist question. I was wondering how all your timelines from order to formal allocation went and if my experience sounds status quo. I have read many threads on ordering, etc but haven't found a lot of timelines (Canadian specifically).

Ordered on April 15, 2016 - being told sometime in 2017 probably around May to July. No formal allocation number yet, but being told the dealership has received 8 allocations for MY17 and I'm 6th on the list.

Does this sound copacetic?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #146
///M²
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I've seen it before on several cars from my dealership, so I'm not going in blind.

And it's nothing is really free...it's definitely less cost to them then a typical cut below MSRP for a car sale.
Good to hear, just got to keep your guard up with these dealerships.
      07-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #147
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsches Blut View Post
Hello All,

New to this forum, but longtime German Car lover. So in others words, my name is ........., and I'm a German Caroholic. Yes, I admit it, I have the disease.

All joking aside, I have been reading the forum (pre member) for years and it has given me a wealth of knowledge and answers to my queries on so many occasions. Thanks all for that. I know that with engagement one always gets more so here I am. Hopefully I can add a little from time to time, but at the end of the day, I know this can only add to my wisdom, or lack there of, depending on whom you ask.
- My apologies for rambling.

So here is my fist question. I was wondering how all your timelines from order to formal allocation went and if my experience sounds status quo. I have read many threads on ordering, etc but haven't found a lot of timelines (Canadian specifically).

Ordered on April 15, 2016 - being told sometime in 2017 probably around May to July. No formal allocation number yet, but being told the dealership has received 8 allocations for MY17 and I'm 6th on the list.

Does this sound copacetic?

Thanks
Welcome to the club!

Sounds right except the fact they received 8 cars for calendar year 2016 (split between MY16 and MY17) since the allocations for calendar year 2017 will be announced end of Q4 2016.

Hope it helps!
      07-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #148
Deutsches Blut
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Thanks Benzima, that helps. I may need to drill down a bit more with my SA. If I remember correctly my SA told me that they received 2 more allocations, did not say MY16 or MY17, but based on the math (my spot on the list and what they know they will receive) I should see mine spring/early summer 2017 and it will be a MY17.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 09:18 PM   #149
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Thanks Benzima, that helps. I may need to drill down a bit more with my SA. If I remember correctly my SA told me that they received 2 more allocations, did not say MY16 or MY17, but based on the math (my spot on the list and what they know they will receive) I should see mine spring/early summer 2017 and it will be a MY17.
If you have an allocation for a MY17, the latest it will be built is Dec-16 for a late Feb or Mar 2017 delivery. Beyond that point, dealers are only speculating since no allocations yet for production starting Jan-17.
      07-07-2016, 09:25 PM   #150
Deutsches Blut
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima
Quote:
If you have an allocation for a MY17, the latest it will be built is Dec-16 for a late Feb or Mar 2017 delivery. Beyond that point, dealers are only speculating since no allocations yet for production starting Jan-17.
Got it. I will be calling in the a.m. to get some more clarification. Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #151
zhihong.james
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

was if anyone have purchased the "Apparence Protection Plan" or "Tire and Rim Protection Plan" from the dealership when took your delivery.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #152
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhihong.james View Post
was if anyone have purchased the "Apparence Protection Plan" or "Tire and Rim Protection Plan" from the dealership when took your delivery.
I did not. Cost of the tire and rim protection plan was the same as buying a new set, so no sense there. It would be worth it if the car had run flats (they replace those for free) but it has MPSS's.

Same goes for the other plan. It covers anything my insurance would cover at a much, much, higher cost. I rather just pay my $250 deductible if/when I need minor repairs done.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 05:27 PM   #153
zhihong.james
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Quote:
I did not. Cost of the tire and rim protection plan was the same as buying a new set, so no sense there. It would be worth it if the car had run flats (they replace those for free) but it has MPSS's.

Same goes for the other plan. It covers anything my insurance would cover at a much, much, higher cost. I rather just pay my $250 deductible if/when I need minor repairs done.
You got a point!!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #154
jjr261
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta

- G
Bought in the GTA but living in London

I thought I may have seen from a distance a BSM M2 like mine recently here in town. Any other Londoners with their car delivered yet??
Appreciate 0