BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Would M2 Performance Edition be a collectable car?

05-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #23
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

FWIW the E36 M3 LTW was another example of paying more for less, by that I mean, no AC, sunroof, radio and sound deadening, no leather and a simpler heating system, but you did get some cool stuff, albeit much of it not installed but found in the trunk and the aluminum doors. With that said the MSRP was close to $50k and for a year or so dealers couldn't give them away. Fast forward 22 years and very decent, low mileage examples are now north of 100k. I am a believer that history will repeat itself. Also do a search for M2's for sale and dealers are offering them in some places for more then the PE costs. Just saying. F
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #24
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1351 View Post
FWIW the E36 M3 LTW was another example of paying more for less, by that I mean, no AC, sunroof, radio and sound deadening, no leather and a simpler heating system, but you did get some cool stuff, albeit much of it not installed but found in the trunk and the aluminum doors. With that said the MSRP was close to $50k and for a year or so dealers couldn't give them away. Fast forward 22 years and very decent, low mileage examples are now north of 100k. I am a believer that history will repeat itself. Also do a search for M2's for sale and dealers are offering them in some places for more then the PE costs. Just saying. F
In the Autocross world .. i wonder how the M2 PE fits in with SCCA with adjustable suspension that's not on the standard car.

To be able to buy a car in the used market with an OEM upgraded setup installed.. for a slight premium.. is pretty much a no brainer.

If in 5 years.. an M2 PE sells for $2k more than a regular M2 .. that's a helluva buy for the buyer.. and a decent tradeoff for the seller ... I think.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 02:21 PM   #25
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW19 View Post
Does your performance edition have the new updated MPE with the red button in the trunk?
Late to the party on this, but the red button in the US version are encased in a foam holder and located in the passenger cup holder, much easier then going to the trunk to enable it, try doing that at 85 mph. Besides the Performance exhaust and suspension, the manual seats, these cars had a basic radio, less complicated HVAC system, 75 had 6 speed, 75 automatic, only in AW, black interior with blue stitching, complimentary mats and lights that project Performance Edition 1/150 onto the ground when doors are opened. Read somewhere they were 200 lbs lighter, but who knows, kind of like a subculture M2, lots don't know they were ever sold. Kind of neat.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 02:18 PM   #26
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1351 View Post
Late to the party on this, but the red button in the US version are encased in a foam holder and located in the passenger cup holder, much easier then going to the trunk to enable it, try doing that at 85 mph. Besides the Performance exhaust and suspension, the manual seats, these cars had a basic radio, less complicated HVAC system, 75 had 6 speed, 75 automatic, only in AW, black interior with blue stitching, complimentary mats and lights that project Performance Edition 1/150 onto the ground when doors are opened. Read somewhere they were 200 lbs lighter, but who knows, kind of like a subculture M2, lots don't know they were ever sold. Kind of neat.
Don't think mine has different floor-mats...and I immediately pulled the door projectors out of the car - what a stupid feature

Think I'll be keeping mine for awhile...barely have 13k miles on it and its a great all-around car (1 of 75 of the DCT)
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 07:03 PM   #27
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Don't think mine has different floor-mats...and I immediately pulled the door projectors out of the car - what a stupid feature

Think I'll be keeping mine for awhile...barely have 13k miles on it and its a great all-around car (1 of 75 of the DCT)
I picked one of these up recently from a local MB dealer. The dealership didn't know it was a "limited edition" no joke, 2 other bimmer fanboiz came in the day I bought it trying to buy it. The GM talked to them and they said they were there because of the "performance edition" He told me afterwards that he would have priced it higher, had he known. The salesman had no idea what the Bluetooth mpe button was. Oh well, score one for me
I don't think it will necessarily be a collectors edition, but when i go to the private market to sell (maybe) i can at least say they only mad 74 other cars like this. Makes it feel just A LITTLE bit special.
I for one, don't miss the dual zone climate control or the stereo quality. Honestly, i have 600 miles on it and i havent even listened to music. I just enjoy the M.P.Exhaust too much.
p.s. I love this car so much, I am selling a mint condition 2007 RS4 to buy a mint condition 2020 M2CS

Last edited by mtoosexy; 12-25-2023 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: spelling, forgot a thought
Appreciate 2
lax01792.50