BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Competition. Progress...but in the wrong direction?

04-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #67
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

I just want to say I don’t feel butt hurt

I own the LCI 2018.
Appreciate 6
      04-29-2018, 02:43 AM   #68
Fangi0
El Chueco
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT, '15 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPedalAddict View Post
The other m2 comp threads have a lot of good insight but there's just too much of the flame wars with people accusing current m2 owners of being butt hurt and others accusing the non m2 owners of being zealots. Also, they seem to be discussing individual components and upgrades a lot and I'm trying to get a feel for the car as a whole.

I'm in a situation where I'm deciding between getting a 2018 for a discount between $3.5k and $5k or getting a July build for the competition at msrp. I'm sure there are a lot of others like me trying to decide.

My motivation to get into an m2 was because I test drove a 135is and loved the feel (I was in a stripper 328 at the time). Then the 1m was announced and it was my dream car. Unfortunately, I missed it and I was deeply regretting it until the current m2 was revealed. All of the promotional content for the m2 at the time had it being displayed with the 1m. To me, bmw was saying that the concept of the m2 was the same as the 1m but with some tweaks to make it a little better. I don't think that the m2 is the same as the 1m but the m2 stock comes close enough to what made me fall in love with the 1.

Reading through all the info regarding the competition, I can't help feeling that the m2 comp is going the way of the m3/m4. Perhaps then, the new m2 comp is most appealing to those looking for a baby m4 and the 2018 is more appealing to those who love the 1m for what it is? I'm really interested in driving feel. I'm interested in the New carbon-fiber friction lining for the manual transmission as well as the new LSD and new steering feel and the suspension bits taken from the m3/m4 zcp. Did they just have to change the steering logic to account for the heavier front end in which case it was more of a necessity than an upgrade to the current m2 steering?

I would greatly appreciate any insight from people who extensively drove the 1m and the m2 and the m4. I know some of you guys can read between the lines of all these specs on paper. There's no doubt that the m2 comp is the upgraded car but if it has become too close to the m4 then i'd rather just get a m4 zcp because those too can be found with a discount.

P.S. I don't care what I can sell the car for later but i do care about what i'll be paying for the car now.

M2C's price hasn't been announced as of this but I am sure that it will be as much of a bargain (at least at base price) as the M2. You cannot go wrong with either car. What you get under that metal skin even at MSRP is significant. No other M in the line-up gives you the same yield for the buck.

I drove M3/M4s plenty, but was never inclined to purchase --ZCP wasn't available. I drove one M4 ZCP, not sufficiently enough in order to be comprehensively objective. Back then, for a (rather) small $ differential = M5. Flawed / fat as it was (is), that V8 note and engine's responsiveness... but I am one of those insane ones in today's world who purchases the vehicle for himself and his enjoyment --irrespective of AWD-equipped fellows next to me at any stop light.

The M2 is a fantastic little rocket. Can it match the M4's performance in straight line? No. Responsiveness? No. Would I buy a CPO M4 ZCP at the same price of an M2/M2C? No.

Referring to previous' BMW $$, I conjecture that the M2C will be +$10K MSRP vs M2. Conjecture. If I were you, I'd prepare for that amount --at the very least. If it is not palatable, get the M2. M2C hands down otherwise.

Hope this helps.
      04-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #69
stulio2181
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Quote:

IMO the button on the m2c looks more like a button that can be pressed and the ones on the p-car look like they can be place holders if that makes any sense. Also, on second look, it looks like there already is a button to toggle the parking sensors!
That blank space is for the upcoming passenger ejector!
I thought it was to activate the 1.21 jigawatt flux capacitor.
Appreciate 1
ChrisK4449.00
      04-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #70
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
I'm interested in the New carbon-fiber friction lining for the manual transmission
Manual gearbox optimization: that's something I also noticed when reading the M2 Competition press kit:
"The new BMW M2 Competition comes as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox, which stands out with its compact design and low weight. The use of a new type of carbon-fibre friction lining enhances shift comfort. An engagement speed control function, which blips the throttle on downshifts and lowers the engine’s revs on upshifts, makes gear changes even smoother. This also lends the car additional stability during hard driving on the track. Switching off the DSC deactivates the engagement speed control function. Wet-sump lubrication prevents any sloshing of the transmission oil and ensures all components benefit from an efficient supply of oil."
In an early M2 test review some US journalist mentioned "rubbery feel" about the 6MT shifting. And those words spread like a virus among car journalists: "Great manual gearbox, yeah, but a bit of a rubbery feel though".

OK, if you drive a Cayman GT4 and M2 back-to-back, you'll notice that shifting the GT4 gearbox is superior (not gonna raise the topic of the often criticized long 2nd gear ratio of the GT4). Otherwise, IMHO that "rubbery feel" argument is a bit placebo-effect nitpicking.

But, anyways, it seems that BMW M had a closer look into it.

Technology moves on. With the M2 Competition you got the latest BMW technology on offer.
I saw a couple specs listed "as new" that were directly pulled from the original M2 press releases. I doubt they went and developed new syncros for the M4/M2 transmission. The same thing is listed for gen 1. Confusing!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 02:15 PM   #71
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Reading through all the info regarding the competition, I can't help feeling that the m2 comp is going the way of the m3/m4. Perhaps then, the new m2 comp is most appealing to those looking for a baby m4 and the 2018 is more appealing to those who love the 1m for what it is? I'm really interested in driving feel.
Nicely put and this is my current view also....let's wait and see what the reviews will say.

Quote:
P.S. I don't care what I can sell the car for later but i do care about what i'll be paying for the car now.
My view on every car I buy....good to see there are other people out there who think the same
      04-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #72
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower_FS View Post
What I do know for sure is this.

Drove the M4 numerous times on/off track and it's always been a handful with S55 characteristics.
Abrupt power delivery, hard to put the power down and tail happy.

The current M2 however, is so well balanced in it's power/weight/chassis.
It's so easy to rotate and steers very neutral on the track.
The power is just right, not too much not too little for the chassis.
It doesn't try to kill you but it knows you want to go around corners very fast.
It's not meant to be a power monster, but it does what it was intended to do so very well.

So ask yourself, are these characteristics what you're looking for in a car?
Or you'll see yourself immediately getting the itch to tune it and up the power?
Had exactly the same experience....with both cars...