BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Saying goodbye to my M3, do I say hello to an M2?

05-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Saying goodbye to my M3, do I say hello to an M2?

Hey guys,

I'm about to let go of my 2012 M3 and having a hard time deciding what to get next. My 2 contenders are the M2 and Audi TTS.
I'm 26 years old with plans to get engaged next year but no kids for 3-4 years so a small car/coupe makes perfect sense. I daily drive into NYC and can usually hitch a ride on snowy days with a coworker.
Ever since the auto show, I'm in love with the tts. The interior is amazing and so is the overall look of the car, to me. I was a little disappointed with the looks of the M2 at first and at the show but it's been growing on me more and more. It seems that the Audi wins in the interior department and maybe even the looks. But after everything I've read, the M2 is the better car and captures the M essence, plus I don't want to leave the BMW family. Usually in a car, I like to get something special/unique. I feel like I see a M4 every day on the road but haven't seen a TTS. Idk if the M2 will eventually be "common" and lose it's uniqueness. I don't plan on tracking either car either. I honestly can't make up my mind of either of these cars. Anyone care to chime in with personal experiences?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Nicname,

Audis never really appealed to me. There are a few models that I like but overall, not a fan. They're too understated. The M2 is definitely a daily driver. I do like, maybe love it but I haven't decided yet. I've been commuting into NYC as well to get the break in miles out of the way. How many are going to be on the streets is anyone's guess at the current moment but as with every other car, you're never going to be with only with one so get something you like. In hindsight, I should've went with a 911. The M2 isn't small enough in a way. It feels too big but every new BMW is. Have you considered a Cayman S?

I'm definitely in the minority here when I say that I think the M2 was a bit overhyped in a way. Most of the people on the forum, will say get the M2 because they're already in love with theirs. I'm on the fence but I haven't really "driven" my car yet.
      05-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Hey man, first I'll keep my opinions out of the first part.

1) The M2 won't be as rare as the 1M, but it will be nowhere as common as the M4. I maybe see two or three M235is per month, you'll be hard to see more than 1 M2 a month even after they're full rolled out. So I would not worry about the M2 losing it's rare status. It won't be a needle in a haystack like it is now, but it will unquestionably be far more rare than the M3/4.

2) You are right in that the M2 seems to have proven the better driving machine by quite some margin, from an unbiased standpoint, as I could quote 100 reviews that love the M2 and a bunch of reviews that did not particularly love the driving of the TTS.

3) Back seats of the TTS are not even back seats, where as the M2's are 100% usable. My buddy who is also over 6 foot Sat in the back and said it was perfectly fine.

Now the opinionated portion.

1) I looked at the TTS, and as much as I love the front, I absolutely dislike the 1990's styled fenders on it. I don't like how they have a tacked on appearance.

2) The interior of the TTS is probably 'cooler' by design, but the M2's just feels so purposeful. I love the stitching and the Dry Carbon Fiber, which doesn't glare like the glossed kind.

3) I think the digital dash is cool in the TTS, but there is no center screen. That would bother me a lot. Especially if there is a passenger. It kind of feels bare front the right side.

4) The TTS looks generic Audi and so similar to the last generation TTS. The Fangs of the M2 separate from every other BMW, even the M3/4 which have a similarly designed character but each definitely has their own stand alone design

5) Hips don't lie. The M2 hips absolutely crush it.

6) LBB is a very polarizing color. I like it, not everyone does. So I'd try to see one of each color. I have Mineral Grey and I get thumbs ups and compliments all the time.

Yeah, I'm obviously biased, but I was once considering the TTS and determined that it just wasn't enough for me in terms of bull dog looks and driving enjoyment.

Here's some pics to sway you to the dark side

There's no right answer, you've really got to weigh what it is you want to get out of your car and what experience you want.

Gotta drive both

Soon.

Last edited by Adem1534; 05-03-2016 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 3
      05-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

You could say the same about the tts losing its uniqueness also.In the UK you're tripping over the things but I doubt that will happen with the M2.I know that the tt isn't as popular in the States but the tt mk3 with its trinketry might change this.

There are pros and cons for both,the M2 will have the more driver focused ride with more power and better figures and has the bigger engine.I've driven the tts and it's OK but not life changing but like you say the interior and finish is better but too fiddly for my taste.

I think your best bet is try and arrange a demo of both cars and take it from there.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
I'm on the fence but I haven't really "driven" my car yet.
Are you still in break in period?

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534
Quote:
Nicname,

Audis never really appealed to me. There are a few models that I like but overall, not a fan. They're too understated. The M2 is definitely a daily driver. I do like, maybe love it but I haven't decided yet. I've been commuting into NYC as well to get the break in miles out of the way. How many are going to be on the streets is anyone's guess at the current moment but as with every other car, you're never going to be with only with one so get something you like. In hindsight, I should've went with a 911. The M2 isn't small enough in a way. It feels too big but every new BMW is. Have you considered a Cayman S?

I'm definitely in the minority here when I say that I think the M2 was a bit overhyped in a way. Most of the people on the forum, will say get the M2 because they're already in love with theirs. I'm on the fence but I haven't really "driven" my car yet.
Aren't you still in break in period?
Yes, I just said that. Lol.
      05-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #7
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was just curious if that's what you meant, or if you meant you haven't tracked it/driven hard or something just because

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #8
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534
Quote:
I was just curious if that's what you meant, or if you meant you haven't tracked it/driven hard or something just because
Nope. I don't plan on tracking it. I'm worried I'll wreck it. Plus I'm not replacing tires after every track day. Lol.

My first service is scheduled for Monday!
      05-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Nope. I don't plan on tracking it. I'm worried I'll wreck it. Plus I'm not replacing tires after every track day. Lol.

what 911 were you cross shopping?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Nicname,

Thanks for the honest answer. I was thinking about the cayman S but all the options are overwhelming and eventually I end up with a car more expensive than I imagined. I guess I could do some research to see what are the must have packages. Its interesting that you mention the size of the car. I really want a small car for some reason to be nimble. Do you feel as if the M2 is nimble enough? I did test drive the TTS and it felt nice but I feel test drives are deceiving. At the time everything looks and feels great....
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #11
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Adem1534

Those pictures really do showcase the car well. In the end, looks will always be subjective but you are right about the M2 being different compared to the rest of the BMW lineup which I never really thought about. Do you love the grey or do you wish you went with the blue? I'm never a flashy guy with car colors but I was planning on building a TTS with red interior and red calipers but if I go the M2 route, the blue is a must in my opinion
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #12
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488
Quote:

what 911 were you cross shopping?
2014 CPO 991
      05-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #13
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname
Quote:
Nicname,

Thanks for the honest answer. I was thinking about the cayman S but all the options are overwhelming and eventually I end up with a car more expensive than I imagined. I guess I could do some research to see what are the must have packages. Its interesting that you mention the size of the car. I really want a small car for some reason to be nimble. Do you feel as if the M2 is nimble enough? I did test drive the TTS and it felt nice but I feel test drives are deceiving. At the time everything looks and feels great....
It's definitely nimble but I haven't really whipped around yet. I'm planning to take a drive upto bear mountain or high point one weekend morning soon.

As far as Porsche, I was only looking at cpos with under 20k on the odometer 2014 or newer. But yes, new ones with similar equipment are well over $70k.

I can appreciate the LBB but I was set on black from the start.
Attached Images

05-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #14
d0scas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i 16' M2

Quote:
It's definitely nimble but I haven't really whipped around yet. I'm planning to take a drive upto bear mountain or high point one weekend morning soon.

As far as Porsche, I was only looking at cpos with under 20k on the odometer 2014 or newer. But yes, new ones with similar equipment are well over $70k.

I can appreciate the LBB but I was set on black from the start.
You should head up to bear mtn for one of the car shows on Wednesday nights would love to see the black next to my white one !
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #15
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
Adem1534

Those pictures really do showcase the car well. In the end, looks will always be subjective but you are right about the M2 being different compared to the rest of the BMW lineup which I never really thought about. Do you love the grey or do you wish you went with the blue? I'm never a flashy guy with car colors but I was planning on building a TTS with red interior and red calipers but if I go the M2 route, the blue is a must in my opinion
I'm like you, I'm not very flashy, more on the side of reserved. I absolutely love LBB, but really, you can't go wrong. It just changes the style.

My style with this car is stealth. I'm going Grey with Black accents (grills, side gills, CF Spoiler, Gloss black roof, dark tints).

With Blue the car is a different character, but no matter what, the M2 will be 'bull dog' at it's core.

I do not regret not going LBB one bit, but I would be equally happy with it.

I love both looks, this car has many different characteristic potentials.

One thing does not change with the colors is the sound

Soon.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #16
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0scas

You should head up to bear mtn for one of the car shows on Wednesday nights would love to see the black next to my white one !
Ehhh, I'm not big on meets. It's always awkward being one of the only women there. Plus staring at parked cars doesn't impress me....rather be driving. We'll see.
      05-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #17
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
I'm like you, I'm not very flashy, more on the side of reserved. I absolutely love LBB, but really, you can't go wrong. It just changes the style.

My style with this car is stealth. I'm going Grey with Black accents (grills, side gills, CF Spoiler, Gloss black roof, dark tints).

With Blue the car is a different character, but no matter what, the M2 will be 'bull dog' at it's core.

I do not regret not going LBB one bit, but I would be equally happy with it.

I love both looks, this car has many different characteristic potentials.

One thing does not change with the colors is the sound

Yeah. The one downside with the TTS is that it makes a fart like sound when shifting. How's the interior artificial sound? I know from the outside its great and better than the M4.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #18
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. The one downside with the TTS is that it makes a fart like sound when shifting. How's the interior artificial sound? I know from the outside its great and better than the M4.
I honestly can't even tell that my car has the artificial sounds.

It bothers some, doesn't bother others. Like I said, for me, it's not a bother at all.

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #19
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No mt option as well
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #20
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
No mt option as well
I had a manual also for 3 years while driving into the city... never again
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #21
Em-too
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

@Nicname

I can relate in that before the M2 showed up on my radar, the TTS was the only car out there for me at the price point that I could afford. The problem I had was with the looks of it and of course this is subjective. I thought it would grow on me and tried to get excited about it given how much I was digging the virtual cockpit and the interior in general but it just wasn't doing it for me. I also didn't like the fact that it was a four cylinder. I personally don't need all wheel drive in Florida so that wasn't a factor. I saw one in the flesh last November and honestly I was more interested in the S5 but then it was back to price.

I looked at used Caymans as my other option but I really wanted a new car. It was then that I learned about the M235i and really liked it but it was just too plain looking and I didn't like the rear.

Then....the M2 happened. And I just knew right there and then that this was it. It gave me that feeling that I had when I bought my last new car in 2003. The 350Z. There was nothing like it on the market for the price given what it has to offer and here I was again and I knew it. At least for me it was that feeling that I was after and this was it. The power, the looks, the fact that I lucked out and got one of the first ones all adds to it and I am 100% happy with it. Like Adem I don't notice any artificial noise and I went with grey. I like not being too flashy and this car really fits my personality well.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide!
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2016, 02:44 PM   #22
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had a manual also for 3 years while driving into the city... never again
in regards to em-toos post below have you tried a cayman s out? it might be a nice option to get a v6 rwd car and from the majority of peoples opinion the pdk is the best of the dual clutch transmissions.
Appreciate 0