BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Resale value next spring?

04-26-2016, 10:00 PM   #23
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
How's this for insider info: BMW's Head of Research and Development, Klaus Frohlich, said BMW has already doubled their target M2 production and will make as many as the market demands.
Ah yes, but over what time frame? We need to start hearing about increased allocations. Production of MY16 will about be over before my dealer even sees its first M2.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 12:57 AM   #24
Emm_Too
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
How's this for insider info: BMW's Head of Research and Development, Klaus Frohlich, said BMW has already doubled their target M2 production and will make as many as the market demands.
Is there a link to that info? Hope it doesn't get washed down with too many models
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:21 AM   #25
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Definitely better than my insider info
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:33 AM   #26
mmmmmazing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: In my hands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
To be fair, if you priced it at MSRP I'm sure someone would've picked it up by now.

Hopefully you'll move it soon though, especially now that spring has finally shown up.
Its now at $69,900 which is MSRP plus all dealer fees...still a deal for those not on any list!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:32 AM   #27
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emm_Too View Post
Is there a link to that info? Hope it doesn't get washed down with too many models
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1228658
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #28
rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 8/15 M2

An insurance broker had indicated that a well broken in Tesla Model S was valuated at over MSRP even after government assistance to the owner.

If the M2 is even close to the Tesla or 1M, that makes life a lot easier.

Drinking 12 dollar beers every 2 innings at the ball game, and tipping well all add up. 15 dollar minimum wage is a significant variable where I come from.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #29
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster
Quote:
Hard to say at this point. My personal guess, based on tireless conversations with my GM, who has some good insider info, is this:

M2 production is going to remain low and very, very limited. Here is why: those who want the M2 and M2 only, are going to wait; those who are on the fence will likely move down to the M235i or up to the M3/M4.
Sounds like a piss poor target?!

Hooray for more M2 thought !
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 12:06 PM   #30
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

you may get MSRP back but likely not what you paid including taxes
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #31
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Hard to tell when BMW will implement their retooling, but this could very well be within a year. After that point, used market values will certainly drop. After 3 years, it's likely you'll see same residual as any M car.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #32
rcoccultwar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 8/15 M2

The 5.9% finance rate here in Canada is particularly annoying.

So, I decided to go to the bank and initially they couldn't offer any better for a basic car loan. Explained to the guy many cars have doubled in value the last few years, yet some cars are essentially halved after a few years. So he softened.

Now have to wait for more definitive news on the supply end.

As then hoping that if BMW can give me a letter stating supply numbers, along with some print outs of the 1M values; wishfully 3.9% can be agreed upon.

Just checked that the 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35i has a 7.05% finance rate!

Last edited by rcoccultwar; 04-27-2016 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: run on
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #33
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

You will lose 20%. Don't listen to anyone else on here telling you a mass market car will hold value. It won't. You will lose 20% and in 2 years if there is an LCI an additional 15%.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #34
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdshah View Post
You will lose 20%. Don't listen to anyone else on here telling you a mass market car will hold value. It won't. You will lose 20% and in 2 years if there is an LCI an additional 15%.
I disagree. The Canadian market is VERY different from the American one and we get way less cars per capita compared to US. For example, there are only 80 M2's coming, split among 50 dealerships - some are getting one, some none, some a few - I haven't heard of anyone getting more than 3 allocation for the calendar year though. Country wide, the cars are sold out until Fall 2017 now.

The 1M right now is selling for $10-15K MORE than its MSRP when new, because so few cars got delivered. Now, the M2 numbers are similar to that, but will be produced longer, so I suspect we will see it sell around MSRP for first year, then lose about 5-10% for year two as more cars become available.

Lastly, Canadian buying habits are very different from the US. They tend to hold onto their cars for much longer, and relatively rare cars like the M2 (most would only drive it 5-6 months a year or less) don't trade hands too often. For example, I recently sold my '07 Z4MC, one of only 50 or so to make it into Canada. I sold it for $35K, which is $5K more than I paid for it three years ago.
Appreciate 2
      04-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #35
Emm_Too
Rep

Quote:
I disagree. The Canadian market is VERY different from the American one and we get way less cars per capita compared to US. For example, there are only 80 M2's coming, split among 50 dealerships - some are getting one, some none, some a few - I haven't heard of anyone getting more than 3 allocation for the calendar year though. Country wide, the cars are sold out until Fall 2017 now.

The 1M right now is selling for $10-15K MORE than its MSRP when new, because so few cars got delivered. Now, the M2 numbers are similar to that, but will be produced longer, so I suspect we will see it sell around MSRP for first year, then lose about 5-10% for year two as more cars become available.

Lastly, Canadian buying habits are very different from the US. They tend to hold onto their cars for much longer, and relatively rare cars like the M2 (most would only drive it 5-6 months a year or less) don't trade hands too often. For example, I recently sold my '07 Z4MC, one of only 50 or so to make it into Canada. I sold it for $35K, which is $5K more than I paid for it three years ago.
I hope your spot on... I guess time will tell- heck, I don't mind loosing a few grand to drive it for a year. Here in Edmonton, they are only getting 4 for 2016- so as it sits now, you'd have to wait till next year to even see one, that's if you get on a list with a deposit.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #36
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

Quote:

I do not think that these are sold out to fall 2017 that is ridiculous. This is a mass produced car like the m3 and m4 and they can be easily had. This car is not like a Porsche cayman gt4.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #37
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdshah View Post

What @gmzanatta said

For comparison sake , IIRC the Canadian market got 220-240 1M. The U.K. 400 and the US 740

The z4 MC is holding value well and actually appreciating in the US but worth around 30k
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #38
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalrx
I do not think that these are sold out to fall 2017 that is ridiculous. This is a mass produced car like the m3 and m4 and they can be easily had. This car is not like a Porsche cayman gt4.
You can think that all you want, it won't change reality. Clearly you've not been shopping for an M2 in Canada. Call up a few dealerships, let us know what you find out.

BMW has already stated it is not mass produced, it's very limited production that will continue limited over its 5 or so year cycle.

Oh and by the way, it's easier to get a GT4 right now than an M2.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:53 PM   #39
Emm_Too
Rep

Quote:
You can think that all you want, it won't change reality. Clearly you've not been shopping for an M2 in Canada. Call up a few dealerships, let us know what you find out.

BMW has already stated it is not mass produced, it's very limited production that will continue limited over its 5 or so year cycle.

Agreed- you can't find 1 M2 for sale right now, so if you want one, you'd have to buy an allocation for Sept, and if your lucky, you'll get if for a Christmas present. That also means here in Alberta, you won't be driving that bad boy till April or May of 2017
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #40
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emm_Too
Quote:

Agreed- you can't find 1 M2 for sale right now, so if you want one, you'd have to buy an allocation for Sept, and if your lucky, you'll get if for a Christmas present. That also means here in Alberta, you won't be driving that bad boy till April or May of 2017
There is actually one M2 for sale - belongs to mmmmmazing

And there are TWO GT4's.

And by the way, earliest allocations going out are for Fall 2017 if you put a deposit down now.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 07:55 PM   #41
Emm_Too
Rep

Quote:
There is actually one M2 for sale - belongs to mmmmmazing

And there are TWO GT4's.

And by the way, earliest allocations going out are for Fall 2017 if you put a deposit down now.
Wow, so your saying someone can't get one till next fall? If this is true, when I sell mine in April, I shouldn't have too hard of a time selling it for a couple grand less than I paid.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 01:21 AM   #42
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emm_Too View Post
Wow, so your saying someone can't get one till next fall? If this is true, when I sell mine in April, I shouldn't have too hard of a time selling it for a couple grand less than I paid.
Why are you selling it in April?

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 01:46 AM   #43
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Why are you selling it in April?
What are you doing next Fri? I'm doing my 1200 I could pop down to suburb Denver
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 10:52 AM   #44
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Think about it. You want to buy an M2 next year and you go to your dealer and they say yeah you can order one for 9-12 months from now and pay MSRP. You say boo hoo I want it now! So go looking for used. You find a 16k km used M2 in good shape and the seller is asking for MSRP.

What would YOU do? I'd offer to buy the used car for at least 10% less or order new and wait.
Appreciate 0