BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > I traded F80 for GT4 and test drove the M2.

04-18-2016, 07:09 PM   #67
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Thanks gtr! I had a GT4, but had to sell it since the wifey and I are buying our first home sooner than we anticipated.

I am on the waitlist for the M2 and going for a 2017 delivery ideally.

The GT4 is such a good car, and yes, regular roads just don't do it justice. I felt like the GT4 was mocking me whenever I drove "spiritedly" on back roads. Unfortunately, I had to sell before taking it to the track this summer and see what it really was about. I miss the car, no doubt, but it is great to see another GT4 owner saying good things about the M2.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 07:09 PM   #68
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Maybe you need to get off YouTube. As for the handling comment the M3 is far more planted and mature in that regard.
Don't confuse playfulness with handling.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 07:10 PM   #69
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawwadh View Post
Not even close to true... I love it how most here haven't even driven an m4... Exhaust note issues?? The car sounds great at high rpm even better with an exhaust.. Numb throttle? If anything it's too sensitive.... I hope everyone loves their m2 but is faster and has higher potential too... Imagine what an m4 can do with some proper tires!!!
I'd say the vast majority of those in the market for a M2 have heard and test-driven a M4. But the really funny thing is that all of the m4 owners who claim the M4 exhaust is just as good or better sounding than the M2 have definitely not heard a M2, considering there are maybe 100 in the US right now.

Not only have I driven multiple M4s, but the M4 was $100 a month cheaper for me to lease.

Still got the M2. It's that good. And sure, you can say things like looks, driving dynamics, sound, and fun factor are subjective - you're right. I'm sure there's a guy out there somewhere who genuinely prefers Rosie O'Donnell to Kate Upton. But don't pretend that most guys do
The problem with the BMW lineup is that the Rosie O Donnell has the M3 name.

BMW took Rosie o'Donnel and gave her the Kate Upton brand name so now all the people that are playing with Rosie are defending her like they are dating Kate.
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #70
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

wow, I cannot even keep up. I still stand by what I said but ok there are a few reasons to get the M2 over the M4/M3. Mostly still boils down to price. The price for what you get is amazing.
My point is if someone has an M4 already it would make no sense to go to the M2. Of course this can be my opinion.
The m2 is an entry level M car built by BMW for younger folks to get into M cars. This is not my opinion.
As for the engineering, there are multiple things that are more expensive to engineer that are not on the m2. That is why it is cheaper. some as simple as the side vents. some more complex as the HUD or the suspension.
If I would not already be into my M3 I would probably consider the M2, because of the price. But I would miss what the m3 has for sure.

My comments are mostly my opinions but also observed opinions of lots of other people including professionals that have driven them.

I just got back from Barcelona and drove the M2 and the M3(zhp) and M5 for that matter. The M2 was awsome, the M3 more so, the M5, Meh. This is on an F1 track so take it for what its worth.

I am not sure why yall think the m2 sounds so much better than the M3, but the M3/4 with mpe or comp pack sounds great and better than the m2.
      04-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #71
kovsky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
Maybe you need to get off YouTube. As for the handling comment the M3 is far more planted and mature in that regard.
Maybe your position would be stronger without resorting to belittling comments? More mature? Ahh, I see where you're coming from now. You have given up all rational discourse entirely.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #72
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschy
wow, I cannot even keep up. I still stand by what I said but ok there are a few reasons to get the M2 over the M4/M3. Mostly still boils down to price. The price for what you get is amazing.
My point is if someone has an M4 already it would make no sense to go to the M2. Of course this can be my opinion.
The m2 is an entry level M car built by BMW for younger folks to get into M cars. This is not my opinion.
As for the engineering, there are multiple things that are more expensive to engineer that are not on the m2. That is why it is cheaper. some as simple as the side vents. some more complex as the HUD or the suspension.
If I would not already be into my M3 I would probably consider the M2, because of the price. But I would miss what the m3 has for sure.

My comments are mostly my opinions but also observed opinions of lots of other people including professionals that have driven them.

I just got back from Barcelona and drove the M2 and the M3(zhp) and M5 for that matter. The M2 was awsome, the M3 more so, the M5, Meh. This is on an F1 track so take it for what its worth.

I am not sure why yall think the m2 sounds so much better than the M3, but the M3/4 with mpe or comp pack sounds great and better than the m2.
Just realize that your comments , make it sound like someone that has no vehicle, would absolutely not be able to justify an M2.

Personally , my 14k would actually go toward Engineering a LIGHTER CAR, not a HEAVIER one.

So that's 14 thousand and one reasons ...

I will Happily pay BMW 14 thousand dollars
To NOT make my car an M4 but instead to make it an M2 CS(L)/GTS.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #73
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovsky
Quote:
Maybe your position would be stronger without resorting to belittling comments? More mature? Ahh, I see where you're coming from now. You have given up all rational discourse entirely.
Don't get but hurt mate. It amazes me how defensive people get here. Your the one asking for a video of the S55 in high rpm. Why does there have to be this M2 vs M3 war :

Both great cars even if BMW can't get the bonnet gaps right lol
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #74
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Pics of GT4 and M2 together for the win
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:36 PM   #75
Buschy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Just realize that your comments , make it sound like someone that has no vehicle, would absolutely not be able to justify an M2.

Personally , my 14k would actually go toward Engineering a LIGHTER CAR, not a HEAVIER one.

So that's 14 thousand and one reasons ...

I will Happily pay BMW 14 thousand dollars
To NOT make my car an M4 but instead to make it an M2 CS(L)/GTS.
I am not sure I follow. I am not sure my post came across the right way. If I said no one can justify an M2, that is not what I mean.
The M2 is a lower level car than the M3/M4. That is not an opinion.

Last edited by Buschy; 04-18-2016 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #76
gtrsam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

m2 is a downgrade from an m3/m4. still think it's looks ugly as hell. everyone has their own opinions though
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #77
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
I agree there is a lot of armchair driving going on here BUT there is also a LOT of objective data that you cannot ignore.

Given the M2 is equal to or faster than the M3/4 at Hockenheim and Streets of Willow while being down on power suggests it may, in fact, be the more planted and balanced car. This is also shown in the corner by corner results we have seen posted where the M4 pulled on the straights and then lost ground to the M2 in the corners. That objectively says a lot about the M2's balance and grip compared to its bigger siblings. So, regardless of your perception, the data isn't quite supporting your comments.

I will be able to have a more meaningful report once I've had both on a track for a meaningful amount of time (I don't believe you get a clear sense after a couple of sessions as you are still learning the character of the car). However, based on objective info (in addition to a large amount of subjective commentary), it would seem to me that the M2 is every bit as "planted and mature"... if not more so.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 04-18-2016 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 4
      04-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #78
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
The GT4 uses Cup Tires, you're not going to break traction on the street. Put cheap tires on your GT4 for daily driving, that should change your mind.

I hated the look of the M2 in photos. I saw one in Minneapolis last week, it looks so much better on the highway. The hip is wide. I wouldn't mind getting an M2 in the future for track days.
I broke traction in my GT4 when I had it. Although it took a small patch of transmission fluid/oil to do it.

I was going to eventually put PSS on the car, and save the Cup 2s for the track though.

Agree with the M2 looking much better in person vs pics. The aggressive stance is more apparent when you are standing in front of it and it just looks the "right" size. It is the length of what a sports coupe should be.

I feel the M4 is a stunning car, but it definitely is large for a sports car. (Unless you call it a sport GT car)

Last edited by csbear; 04-18-2016 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:51 PM   #79
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
I'd say the vast majority of those in the market for a M2 have heard and test-driven a M4. But the really funny thing is that all of the m4 owners who claim the M4 exhaust is just as good or better sounding than the M2 have definitely not heard a M2, considering there are maybe 100 in the US right now.

Not only have I driven multiple M4s, but the M4 was $100 a month cheaper for me to lease.

Still got the M2. It's that good. And sure, you can say things like looks, driving dynamics, sound, and fun factor are subjective - you're right. I'm sure there's a guy out there somewhere who genuinely prefers Rosie O'Donnell to Kate Upton. But don't pretend that most guys do

except for the fact that the m4 weighs within 30 lbs of this M2 pig.. There is a reason the m4 is 2.5 seconds faster to 100 and 4 seconds faster to 140... and is also faster on the ring.. and super close on short tracks where it can't effectively use its power. The m2 is a pug, The m4 is in a different class. Price no object u would be a fool to get the m2 over the m4... but i hope there are a lot of fools because that means my car will become far more rare.
That being said this sound issue is stupid... i have yet to find ONE person that isn't like "damn" when they hear my car. Not that it matters what others think but this entire m4 sounds bad is ridiculous.

I realize that this is an m2 forum so there is an obvious bias, so I will make an exit here Though if anyone is on the fence and wants to hear an m4 and are in the chicago area please PM me I would be glad to meet up with you!
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2016, 07:55 PM   #80
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Very likely. Waiting for an allocation.
Well, thats the best recommendation you can give!
      04-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #81
SCBMW02
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i and 2022 Z4 M40i

Garage List
I have owned last 3 generations of M3, an M Roadster and recently Z4 35is. Current daily is 2014 X5 35i. Was all set to buy an M4 or perhaps the M2 once I saw all the specs and reviews. Well last Friday picked up my Shelby GT 350, and after just tooling around for 70 miles, this thing blows them all away!! The sound in sport mode is worth the price of admission. I got it locally, they got 2 cars for 2016, and charged me $2500 over sticker, which was reasonable. For 58k this is a steal!!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 08:25 PM   #82
Montreal M2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: LCI F87 AW 6MT MPE/FBO

When I placed my order in January for my M4, I had very limited information on the M2.. Wasn't a part of this community yet and wasn't here for all the buzz about it.

Personally, I think the M2 is an awesome car and has just as much value for it's price as the M3/M4's do.

As appealing as the "fun factor" is that many have eluded to here and the lower sticker price than it's counterparts, there's one big thing that would still keep me from ordering today and that's not knowing (reliable) performance mod capabilities.

My overall knowledge is still quite limited, from what I understand it's a beefed up (and different than previous) N55 with single turbo... but I knew when I ordered my M4 (and know more now) about how capable the S55 and its 2 turbos are @ putting out a lot of additional power than stock, safely.

I'm sure in little time we'll come to find out what tuners and modders can reliably get out of this car and look forward to seeing the numbers. I hope it doesn't have a low ceiling for improvements

Last edited by Montreal M2; 04-18-2016 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #83
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawwadh View Post
except for the fact that the m4 weighs within 30 lbs of this M2 pig.. There is a reason the m4 is 2.5 seconds faster to 100 and 4 seconds faster to 140... and is also faster on the ring.. and super close on short tracks where it can't effectively use its power. The m2 is a pug, The m4 is in a different class. Price no object u would be a fool to get the m2 over the m4... but i hope there are a lot of fools because that means my car will become far more rare.
That being said this sound issue is stupid... i have yet to find ONE person that isn't like "damn" when they hear my car. Not that it matters what others think but this entire m4 sounds bad is ridiculous.

I realize that this is an m2 forum so there is an obvious bias, so I will make an exit here Though if anyone is on the fence and wants to hear an m4 and are in the chicago area please PM me I would be glad to meet up with you!
Dude, I mean this in the nicest way possible, you are out of your mind

Soon.
Appreciate 7
      04-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #84
tc328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
Hi Op, does the seating position bother you...i mean the reposition of the driver seat pointing at the headlights for cost cutting?

When I had the m235i I love the seating position, so much better than my current 4GC
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #85
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrsam
m2 is a downgrade from an m3/m4. still think it's looks ugly as hell. everyone has their own opinions though
Huge downgrade in looks. Needs so many mods to possibly make it look good. I'll wait til the full builds are complete to make my judgment. That back end is terrible though.
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #86
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdshah View Post
Huge downgrade in looks. Needs so many mods to possibly make it look good. I'll wait til the full builds are complete to make my judgment. That back end is terrible though.
comical
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #87
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
bro, you should GET A CAR before even commenting. you can't reach fanboi status without actually having the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #88
mwalter14
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post

I have been lurking here for months reading about M2 updates / user reviews and I cannot help comment on what a double barreled shit shotgun loaded with m2 propaganda you are just firing all over the place. For god sake you are the least objective, most bias user I have ever encountered on these boards it is quite irritating reading your posts.
Appreciate 2