BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 Test drive from 1M owner

05-03-2016, 05:45 AM   #1
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

M2 Test drive from 1M owner

Wanted to share this in case others were thinking about an M2 for their next car.

Note, I was at BMW to test ride the S1000XR so was not looking to replace my 1M.

I'll try to keep this brief.

The Motorcycle Sales Rep was able to cross the floor so suggested I take the M2 for a drive. So he drove it off the lot and around the corner for a driver swap.

Upon the driver change, and as I was standing beside the car, the Sales Rep gave her a rev and my first thoughts were, I can't understand why the M3 sounds so wrong when this can sound so right. But more to come on that when we hit the road.

Car looks fantastic to my eyes. In the LBB, it stands out and the lines are great. It looks tougher in real life than how it's represented in photos. Love the look of it. Looks wide and purposeful. It was a sunny day and like the VO of a 1M, it's really striking in this light. I tend to love cars in White, but I'd buy this in LBB. It's just right on it.

Have to say, all the discussion regarding the crooked seat had me thinking about it, however somehow upon entering the cabin, I completely forgot about it and never gave it another thought. I really don't think it's an issue. Certainly wasn't for me on the test drive.

I'm a manual guy so this was never going to be the most amazing TestDrive being a DCT, but I was going to look past that and appreciate the rest.

The interior was new looking but didn't feel like a high quality cabin like some of Audi's. The open carbon was ok, finished in clear would have been nicer. And the cabin was a little busy for me as I like them simple. But nothing to worry about, was still a nice place to be. Just not a standout of the car, but then BMW's were never like that. I felt the interior still felt the right size however it took me some time to find a nice driving posi, I put it down to the shape of the seats, just needed more time possibly. Seat, just like my 1M, didn't really go low enough for me.

So the drive, first thing I thought about was the noise. Why does it need to sound so artificial when it sounds so glorious naturally, this bothered me, I love the sound from the outside, and it would be my car and I would get the bad sound, whilst the passers by got the good stuff. I didn't like the way it sounded from the inside. Coding out the sound would be my first mod.

So how does she drive? Wonderfully. Chassis felt very rigid and interior felt very tight, not a click or squeak anywhere. Sure it's new car and shouldn't, but I've witnessed this before in others.

The suspension is firm and although we played with the settings, I really didn't feel much of a difference, possibly the roads, but I really couldn't discern it.

It's a very clean power delivery, strong and very smooth, it felt to me like the E92 M3 delivery. Pulls very strongly and to me at least, felt very refined. Could tell this would be great on a track, felt very composed and balanced.

I'd comment that the steering, whilst very good, felt a little disconnected for me, but both of my cars tramline, and load up, and wriggle in your hands, so unfair comparison, maybe. But I certainly didn't feel it was up to the hydro systems as some have mentioned.

Obviously didn't corner to its limits, but I did drive it aggressively and it still remained very composed. Tried some heavy footed second gear corners and the car just grabbed and went. Body was very well controlled through damping, on mid corner undulations.
Overall dynamically, I walked away thinking that it was excellent, extremely quick, and refined. Very taught and it also felt light to me.

So did it tempt me from the little ugly mug of the 1M? In a word........ no.

Not because it wasn't fantastic, it has to be one of the best BMW's available today, but it's a little...... nice........ I even had the SR alter traction control settings to let me see how upset the car would get and how much movement BMW had programmed in. And unless he didn't really know what he was doing, car was still..... nice. Possibly the tyres, possibly the power delivery, possibly the TC, but it felt a little unshakable. Which to many would be the perfect thing. And would be the fastest way.

I mentioned earlier that the power delivery reminded me of the E9X M3, and this is consistent as my thoughts of the M3 were that it was, nice, and fast.

As a comparison, the 1M feels a bit brutal and angry and twitchy so when you turn it up, you immediately become very sensitive to the movements in the car and you really focus. And I love that.

If I didn't have the 1M, I'd have to drive the manual M2 first, but by all accounts the 6 speed box is rumoured to be great so this would be my car.

I appreciate that many people want their car to be efficiently fast and deceptively so, I would describe the M2 as this. Really love it.

Looks brilliant, goes like stink, could comfortably drive it daily, and tear up a track on the weekend. Love it! To all those who have them on order, enjoy and great choice.

Last edited by Goombeh; 05-03-2016 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 20
      05-03-2016, 06:08 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I'm a 1M owner and getting my M2 at the end of this month. Thanks for this nice review. On the other hand I once had an E90 M3 6MT and was not satisfied with the real life power delivery(below 4k there's 'nothing' so to say) so I hope the pull from low down(let's say 2500 rpm) is there, not explosively like in the 1 M, but REAL powerful thrust. After all it's a turbo6 and not an NA engine.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 06:29 AM   #3
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Great review! Looking forward to the comparison with my brother's 1M.
      05-03-2016, 06:35 AM   #4
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Great summary
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #5
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Nice write-up it was a good read.
      05-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh
Wanted to share this in case others were thinking about an M2 for their next car.

Note, I was at BMW to test ride the S1000XR so was not looking to replace my 1M.

The Motorcycle Sales Rep was able to cross the floor so suggested I take the M2 for a drive. So he drove it off the lot and around the corner for a driver swap.

Upon the driver change, and as I was standing beside the car, the Sales Rep gave her a rev and my first thoughts were, I can't understand why the M3 sounds so wrong when this can sound so right. But more to come on that when we hit the road.

Car looks fantastic to my eyes. In the LBB, it stands out and the lines are great. It looks tougher in real life than how it's represented in photos. Love the look of it. Looks wide and purposeful. It was a sunny day and like the VO of a 1M, it's really striking in this light. I tend to love cars in White, but I'd buy this in LBB. It's just right on it.

Have to say, all the discussion regarding the crooked seat had me thinking about it, however somehow upon entering the cabin, I completely forgot about it and never gave it another thought. I really don't think it's an issue. Certainly wasn't for me on the test drive.

I'm a manual guy so this was never going to be the most amazing TestDrive being a DCT, but I was going to look past that and appreciate the rest.

The interior was new looking but didn't feel like a high quality cabin like some of Audi's. The open carbon was ok, finished in clear would have been nicer. And the cabin was a little busy for me as I like them simple. But nothing to worry about, was still a nice place to be. Just not a standout of the car, but then BMW's were never like that. I felt the interior still felt the right size however it took me some time to find a nice driving posi, I put it down to the shape of the seats, just needed more time possibly. Seat, just like my 1M, didn't really go low enough for me.

So the drive, first thing I thought about was the noise. Why does it need to sound so artificial when it sounds so glorious naturally, this bothered me, I love the sound from the outside, and it would be my car and I would get the bad sound, whilst the passers by got the good stuff. I didn't like the way it sounded from the inside. Coding out the sound would be my first mod.

So how does she drive? Wonderfully. Chassis felt very rigid and interior felt very tight, not a click or squeak anywhere. Sure it's new car and shouldn't, but I've witnessed this before in others.

The suspension is firm and although we played with the settings, I really didn't feel much of a difference, possibly the roads, but I really couldn't discern it.

It's a very clean power delivery, strong and very smooth, it felt to me like the E92 M3 delivery. Pulls very strongly and to me at least, felt very refined. Could tell this would be great on a track, felt very composed and balanced.

I'd comment that the steering, whilst very good, felt a little disconnected for me, but both of my cars tramline, and load up, and wriggle in your hands, so unfair comparison, maybe. But I certainly didn't feel it was up to the hydro systems as some have mentioned.

Obviously didn't corner to its limits, but I did drive it aggressively and it still remained very composed. Tried some heavy footed second gear corners and the car just grabbed and went. Body was very well controlled through damping, on mid corner undulations.
Overall dynamically, I walked away thinking that it was excellent, extremely quick, and refined. Very taught and it also felt light to me.

Not because it wasn't fantastic, it has to be one of the best BMW's available today, but it's a little...... nice........ I even had the SR alter traction control settings to let me see how upset the car would get and how much movement BMW had programmed in. And unless he didn't really know what he was doing, car was still..... nice. Possibly the tyres, possibly the power delivery, possibly the TC, but it felt a little unshakable. Which to many would be the perfect thing. And would be the fastest way.

I mentioned earlier that the power delivery reminded me of the E9X M3, and this is consistent as my thoughts of the M3 were that it was, nice, and fast.

As a comparison, the 1M feels a bit brutal and angry and twitchy so when you turn it up, you immediately become very sensitive to the movements in the car and you really focus. And I love that.

If I didn't have the 1M, I'd have to drive the manual M2 first, but by all accounts the 6 speed box is rumoured to be great so this would be my car.

I appreciate that many people want their car to be efficiently fast and deceptively so, I would describe the M2 as this. Really love it.

Looks brilliant, goes like stink, could comfortably drive it daily, and tear up a track on the weekend. Love it! To all those who have them on order, enjoy and great choice.
Feel basically the same. M2 sounds great from the outside. I like the tone and volume more than current m3 and even my 1Ms. This makes the active sound even more pointless. The only thing I want to add is that the higher seating position is due to power seats. Manual seat 1Ms go about 1 1/4" lower than power seats and it is noticeable. Not sure what it is on 2 series but here in the US you only get heavier power seats. Which again is puzzling because they could've easily offered lighter M2 without the power fluff like folding mirrors for those that are weight conscious. The M2 is really a great BMW and while it is not enough for me to dump the 1M. I really like it and respect the parts that are in fact better like the outside sound etc. congrats to all of you.
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

I'll have a chance to drive an M2 on track this weekend back to back with my car.

Thus far though your summary echoes mine.
There are a ton of items that I would have to get coded in an M2 immediately.

active collision avoidance - don't want to have to switch it off every track session.

ASD- ugh

Auto rev match - ugh

Electric steering - better but still not great

Power seats only

Despite all these things , if I were shopping for a new car ... It's the best damn car on the market and I would have an M2.. Except I have a 1M.
Appreciate 5
      05-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

As a former owner of an E92 M3 and an E82 1M I fully agree on above review !!

The 1M was an explosive device, the M2 is very very lineair, it feels the exactly the same as the E92 M3, it also looks a little short geared IMHO (I do have the 6 MT)

It is a very composed, refined machine, but nowhere near the raw and brutal 1M.

IMHO the M2 can not be seen as the successor of the 1M, it is an completely different animal.

Last edited by Romo; 05-03-2016 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 3
      05-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #9
philisme
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe + M2 + 330e

Garage List
2016 BMW 330e  [0.00]
2012 BMW 1M coupe  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I owned a M235i for a bit more than one year. I LOVED that car but I sold it in October 2015.

I bought the 1M in March and I love it too. It's a real beast compared to the M235i.
The 1M is more radical, it gets you more involved in driving. Luckily, it's not my daily driver anymore (my M235i was and was a perfect one).

Now I have an offer to buy a M2 with 10% off (delivery Q1 2017). But I'm hesitating...

I'm concerned that the M2 will not be "bestial" enough. This why I'm considering a F80 M3. When it's tune to 500PS / 700NM, it's a real beast and reminds me the twitchy 1M.

FYI :
My M2 was tuned to 400hp/550Nm.
My 1M is still 100% stock, but not for a long time.
I often drive tuned BMW as I do chip-tuning for a living.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 03:56 PM   #10
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
IMHO the M2 can not be seen as the successor of the 1M, it is an completely different animal.
I find this interesting, and it echoes the OP. There has been a lot of talk about the "1M 2.0" and "successor to the 1M" as you say. Interesting to hear they have quite different feels from those who should know (current 1M'ers).

Much as I regret not pulling the trigger on the 1M in 2011, the M2 is sounding like a perfect match for me. Too bad we get the hassle and frustration of limited availability, without the prestige of actual limited production
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #11
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Nachob, you're correct, my wife has a 125i with manual seats and they go lower, in Aust, we were not offered a manual seat version of the 1M, however I have been trying to get one to replace the Elec. So I'd imagine M2 is the same.

I'd also add that yes, the M2 had a much stronger low to mid range punch than the V8 M3 and that my comparison with the M3 was more about the 'feel' of the power delivery.

And the sound I still can't get my head around, my neighbor opposite has a new M3 and everytime he starts it, sorry to say this, it sounds like a Hyundai with a straight through pipe. The M2 sounds tuneful and raw in comparison. Love the sound. Really baffled as to why they sound so different.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nachob, you're correct, my wife has a 125i with manual seats and they go lower, in Aust, we were not offered a manual seat version of the 1M, however I have been trying to get one to replace the Elec. So I'd imagine M2 is the same.

I'd also add that yes, the M2 had a much stronger low to mid range punch than the V8 M3 and that my comparison with the M3 was more about the 'feel' of the power delivery.

And the sound I still can't get my head around, my neighbor opposite has a new M3 and everytime he starts it, sorry to say this, it sounds like a Hyundai with a straight through pipe. The M2 sounds tuneful and raw in comparison. Love the sound. Really baffled as to why they sound so different.
Yeah they hit a home run on the outside sound. I don't want to get war started with M3 guys as it has its own charm but the M2 had the perfect volume and tone for a turbo car. I wish my 1M sounded like that. Tastes are different. An m3 guy recently says M3 sounds better than 1M but I disagree. The 1M tone is much better stock but volume outside is a little low stock. On the other hand I love the sound inside and it's not digitized. Regardless. I give kudos where due and the M2 sound is perfect!

I hope they offer the non power seat and mirror version to the US Market. BMW USA keeps doing stupid stuff like that. When the 1M came out most of the test cars had power seats and the high seat position was a common gripe. This time they rolled out test cars with lighter and lower manual seats THAT YOU CANT BUY! not yelling just emphasizing because downright dirty and dishonest of BMW. I just hope the production cars sound as good as the press car I heard!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #13
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philisme View Post
I owned a M235i for a bit more than one year. I LOVED that car but I sold it in October 2015.

I bought the 1M in March and I love it too. It's a real beast compared to the M235i.
The 1M is more radical, it gets you more involved in driving. Luckily, it's not my daily driver anymore (my M235i was and was a perfect one).

Now I have an offer to buy a M2 with 10% off (delivery Q1 2017). But I'm hesitating...

I'm concerned that the M2 will not be "bestial" enough. This why I'm considering a F80 M3. When it's tune to 500PS / 700NM, it's a real beast and reminds me the twitchy 1M.

FYI :
My M2 was tuned to 400hp/550Nm.
My 1M is still 100% stock, but not for a long time.
I often drive tuned BMW as I do chip-tuning for a living.
I think you'll love the M2, but would recommend driving it first of course. I never drove the M235 but I spent some time in the M135 when it appeared, and I think that was a great daily. I even loved the ZF auto, great tranny. M2 reminded me of that in its power delivery but of course, the chassis felt a lot more taught and firm which is what I prefer.

Small note, when we finished the drive, the Sales Rep said "what do you think? You should get one, just don't get rid of the 1M, they're brilliant. This can't replace it".

I think for some it certainly could, it's very good, just not me, just yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here is an outstanding in depth review of both cars!
http://www.bimmerfile.com/2016/05/04...vs-the-bmw-1m/
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #15
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Here is an outstanding in depth review of both cars!
http://www.bimmerfile.com/2016/05/04...vs-the-bmw-1m/
Thanks Nachob! Excellent read, and overall agree with conclusion. One thing that wasn't so apparent from my buttometer was that there was significantly more in gear urge, we know it does, the numbers back that, but it wasn't as noticeable to me.

Great analysis though, I'm certain there are bound to be many more.
Appreciate 0