BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 95 or 98 grade fuel ?

05-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #45
playitfunky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Yes 99 Ron for uk V-Power (used to be 98 when it was called optimax). Some folks (Germany and Oz I know of) can get V-Power racing at 100 Ron. HP 'gain' is small yes, but plenty will swear it also gives a smoother more efficient engine. Others will say it's a load of marketing rubbish! You takes your choice.
      05-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #46
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by playitfunky View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would spent a tidy sum on a high performance car and then fill it with a low grade fuel but each to their own.
V-Power all the way for me!
I don't think anyone is putting low grade fuel into their M2. This is really just an academic discussion about whether or not the car will react to a couple of octane points between Premium and Premium+.

The US is a little different than the UK. Some states, like California, only have lower octane (AKI 91) fuel available at the pump while others, like Washington, offer higher octane (AKI 93). Everyone is going to put their state's "premium" into their M2, but we're wondering if those 2 octane points would make any difference at all.

It seems nobody really knows yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #47
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Is ANYONE going to notice 5hp? That would be virtually un-measureable.
I wonder what the HP tolerance from the factory is? Probably around 5hp......
All of that is beside the point. BMW put an aggressive tune on the M2. For example, the M2 turbo is fairly close in flow rate to the M235i, if the M235i were to run the same boost and had the intake/exhaust flow improvements.
On 91 upper RPM we see timing pull and heat indicative of 2 likely things - pre-det and turbo pushed outside of efficiency range (overboost). The latter happens on the standard N55 turbo at about 15psi. Given that we already know that at 15psi the N55 can make on the order of 20whp more than at 91, that 5hp number could be conservative.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #48
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by playitfunky View Post
Yes 99 Ron for uk V-Power (used to be 98 when it was called optimax). Some folks (Germany and Oz I know of) can get V-Power racing at 100 Ron. HP 'gain' is small yes, but plenty will swear it also gives a smoother more efficient engine. Others will say it's a load of marketing rubbish! You takes your choice.
I think the 99RON may be hype as I have Jb4 and HFC DP on m135i here in the UK. On Shell V power I was seeing max boost between 15-15.5psi on map 5.

Switched to Tesco Momentum 99 [TM99] and saw 1-1.5psi more boost over Shell v power ie more consistent 16.5psi with TM99.

FWIW, with a tune, these N55 engines love octane. I put half a bottle of NF Race Octane booster into a tank of TM99 and tried Jb4 maps 5 and 7 - car was insane, hitting 18psi. Definitely not for the limp wristed.....
      05-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #49
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
I think the 99RON may be hype as I have Jb4 and HFC DP on m135i here in the UK. On Shell V power I was seeing max boost between 15-15.5psi on map 5.

Switched to Tesco Momentum 99 [TM99] and saw 1-1.5psi more boost over Shell v power ie more consistent 16.5psi with TM99.

FWIW, with a tune, these N55 engines love octane. I put half a bottle of NF Race Octane booster into a tank of TM99 and tried Jb4 maps 5 and 7 - car was insane, hitting 18psi. Definitely not for the limp wristed.....
I've always wondered about octane boosters. Probably a silly question, but any issues associated with their long term use?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #50
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Mini - my JB4 car is stock apart from DP and I've yet to use OB on the track or drag strip. When used on public roads ie mixed driving its brutal even on part throttle. Full throttle is seriously mental, IMHO too much for the overcrowded roads in SE UK.

I do track days periodically and my current setup works well even when driven hard for 20min track sessions.

I think FMIC and charge pipes would need upgrading to get the most out of OB on a circuit or at the drag strip.

BP
      05-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #51
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
I've always wondered about octane boosters. Probably a silly question, but any issues associated with their long term use?
I bought octane booster before I picked up my car because we only have 91 octane here, then I read that it can plug up exhaust sensors so I have never used it.
Appreciate 0