BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Confused about what oil to use

11-28-2023, 06:55 PM   #529
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_sweden View Post
I bought Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL01/04 and only drive summertime like 1000km/620 miles per season. Right or wrong I dont know but Thats what the vendor recommended me.
As long as it’s approved it can’t be that bad. We’re splitting hairs here basically.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2023, 07:50 PM   #530
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

First time using Castrol Edge EURO 0W40 A3/B4 and my car got a notice to add a quart of oil after a few months. Maybe I didn't fill it up properly the first time...or used up. Anecdotal.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2023, 07:56 PM   #531
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
First time using Castrol Edge EURO 0W40 A3/B4 and my car got a notice to add a quart of oil after a few months. Maybe I didn't fill it up properly the first time...or used up. Anecdotal.
Hard to say, the oil level sensor is not giving you the most precise reading either I think.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 10:40 PM   #532
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

I don't think I've ever seen mine in the middle.

Takes 2s to measure w/ a dipstick....and a ridiculous amount of time (2-3 mins) to get that inaccurate reading (pollutant coz the car's not even moving).... why BMW, WHY?!

/rant over.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2023, 12:17 AM   #533
ericold
Private
Rep
Drives: e88 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
And you know this is because of GTL how? It's far more likely to do with the base oil viscosities that are in the formula and the particular VMs used. It may have nothing at all to do with GTL.
i dont ,i never said i am positive its GTL the reason.i suspect it bcs. i read a lot of drivers use shell and mobil 5-30 and having more consumption .
one of them is a friend of mine.
i said maybe the combination between my engine and these brands 5-30 is not the right one.
friend of mine had the same thing with motul oils.same engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 12:35 AM   #534
ericold
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
That still isn't conclusive evidence to anything.

1) What weights were the motul oils?
2) What type of of shell oil was it exactly? Because not all shell oils are made equal.
3) What type of motul oil was it exactly?

You can't just use oil a few times, not understand the spec and just say it's crap because of oil consumption. Maybe the motul oil you used had higher viscosity, maybe the shell oil you used was a version with high NOACK and the motul wasn't. So you really can't draw a conclusion by saying you saw some consumption using 5w30 and that's that.
i never said anything its crap..and i never said i saw some consumption using 5-30,i said these two 5-30s only from these brands.and i really dont know if thats the cause.just speculating.
be careful what you reproduce, don't put words in my mouth i never said!

your investigation is irrelevant. you have lost it completely trying to summarise . there is nothing general rule in oil and engines.as an expert here you should know that.and as an expert you should know that shell and mobil oils have the lowest NOACK among 5-30s. Motul has the highest 10% !
what is working for me maybe doesn't work for others.i don't generalise like you do.

all oils as i already said were same viscosity 5-30.both these with consumption and others with no consumption.
now your answer justifies my arguments.
if you really want to help ,lets make an easy conversation.its for everybody's interest to talk these things.this is what forums is all about.maybe this speculation i have, and i am not the only one from what i read in other forums and personal inquiries ,will help other drivers who have the same thoughts.
we are all together in this forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 02:48 AM   #535
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericold View Post
you should know that shell and mobil oils have the lowest NOACK among 5-30s. Motul has the highest 10% !

Are you sure about that? Because that sounds like another baseless deduction.

Motul xclean 5w30 is 10%
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th...k-list.274856/

Pennzoil is:

PP 5W-30: 12.5%
PUP 5W-30: 6.6%
PPPP 5W-30: 10.1%
PUPPP 5W-30: 11.5%

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th...values.286960/

As you can see, depending on the type of pennzoil/shell oil, the NOACK rating can vary drastically - which is EXACTLY what I told you before.... So like I said, saying the oil weight alone and not factoring type of oil used on both sides leads to inconclusive deductions that are meaningless. You also have to factor in oil viscosity, because the thicker the oil the less likely it will be bypassing gaps (likely piston rings) in a poorly toleranced or worn engine and that means it is going to more likely be burnt. Again not all oils despite being 5w30 have the same viscosity (kv40 and kv100).
chris7197365.00
ZM22827.50
      11-29-2023, 01:25 PM   #536
ericold
Private
Rep

bmw tpt ll04 5-30 (shell branded) has about 7,5 noack
mobil 1 esp 5-30 has about 7,9 noack if i can recall.
i cant find links right now it will be ages past to find them on bitog.
so,no NOACK IS NOT the issue.

bmw tpt ll04 5-30
kv 100-12,7
kv 40-70

mobil 1 esp 5-30
kv 100- 11,9
kv 40- 67

again we are talking about almost identical oils regarding viscosity and NOACK.

funny you mentioned bitog.so any argument from bitog will be right for you.works for me too.bcs. if what i claim as an argument here about GTL and consumption is on bitog then you are WRONG and my arguments have a real BASE

Name:  Στιγμιότυπο οθόνη.png
Views: 237
Size:  63.3 KB

cant seem to attach the other comments so i will quote them from bitog :

Quote:
.ChristianReske said:
I have used it, but meanwhille switched to a different oil, real PAO.

Reason: The engine in my car was literally drinking it. Reports in the specific forum of the vehicle and here at BITOG showed that this GTL based Shell Helix Ultra tends to burn in some engines more than other oils. There is thread about this problem with Shell GTL oils here at BITOG.

Try it, if your engine dont burn it, it is for sure a very good oil.
Had similar issue with the SHU 5w-40. Also was thicking going to the SHU 0w-40 but that oil didnt have the Porsche approval. So i did move to M1 0w-40. So far no issue with the M1.
Like Quote Reply
so as you see my friend is not another baseless deduction ,its real.we don't know why but its happening and it happens to many people.i have more testimonials from other forums.i wish you dont want me to dig so deep.maybe its a disadvantage of GTL AND SOME ENGINES COBINED.not just one part or the other alone.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 01:30 PM   #537
chris719
Major General
Rep

What is the point of posting all this crap? Plenty of people here run PP Euro 5W-40 with GTL base on N55 and S55 and have zero consumption issues.
Appreciate 3
F87source7315.00
philth229.50
ZM22827.50
      11-29-2023, 04:59 PM   #538
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
bmw tpt ll04 5-30 (shell branded) has about 7,5 noack
mobil 1 esp 5-30 has about 7,9 noack if i can recall.
i cant find links right now it will be ages past to find them on bitog.
so,no NOACK IS NOT the issue.

bmw tpt ll04 5-30
kv 100-12,7
kv 40-70

mobil 1 esp 5-30
kv 100- 11,9
kv 40- 67

again we are talking about almost identical oils regarding viscosity and NOACK.

funny you mentioned bitog.so any argument from bitog will be right for you.works for me too.bcs. if what i claim as an argument here about GTL and consumption is on bitog then you are WRONG and my arguments have a real BASE

Attachment 3332581

cant seem to attach the other comments so i will quote them from bitog :

so as you see my friend is not another baseless deduction ,its real.we don't know why but its happening and it happens to many people.i have more testimonials from other forums.i wish you dont want me to dig so deep.maybe its a disadvantage of GTL AND SOME ENGINES COBINED.not just one part or the other alone.
No, I'm quoting specifications, you're quoting experiences. There's a differences, specs are consistent, experiences are not - they vary from engine to engine use condition to use condition.

At the end of the day, if you don't want GTL oils that is your choice, you seem to like motul so stick to it. As for the large majority of us - myself included, we don't experience any oil burning whatsoever running PPE 5w40 which is a GTL oil. So it is very likely your engine has large tolerances and is one of those oil burning engines.
ZM22827.50
      11-30-2023, 01:25 AM   #539
ericold
Private
Rep

Quote:
No, I'm quoting specifications, you're quoting experiences. There's a differences, specs are consistent, experiences are not - they vary from engine to engine use condition to use condition.

At the end of the day, if you don't want GTL oils that is your choice, you seem to like motul so stick to it. As for the large majority of us - myself included, we don't experience any oil burning whatsoever running PPE 5w40 which is a GTL oil. So it is very likely your engine has large tolerances and is one of those oil burning engines.
did i say anything different? i am glad that we agree.this was exactly was i have being said ,go to my previous comments. then what the buzz is all for? maybe you got upset bcs i answered to you with the right arguments.
anyway, i understand you got lost ,to what i asked and what was my initial question.
which was: which oils are not GTL based? bcs, i noticed that when i use them I have a little consumption.
so others.
i never said that GTL oils are crap generally,these are your understanding,your words not mine.thats why you misunderstood and got upset and said all the wrong arguments.
i didint speak only for motul.i said i am not a fan boy and i certainly i dont represent any company.i said i also used castrol .i used fuchs and redline.
i never had a little consumption like i did with shell and mobil.

again i already said that these are 2 of the best oils out there,i used them in my previous cars and they were all ok.

you are trying to get right when there is no reason for.its not a competition. we got to honest. i am.

what do you mean i have a burnning engine and big tolerances?
if i did then i would have had consumption with all oils not just some.
what about all these drivers from bitog the forum you praise so much? and they are very experienced members if you look into.
do they have burning engines too? they stated that with this oil in SOME engines they had consumption.in the same family on of them in different cars had one with consumption and one with no.

experiences is one of the 2 important parts in the oil forums.one is scientific knowledge.but this is how good it looks on paper.the second one is experiences. the majority of drivers who write here evaluate an oil from personal experience. thats what i did. if you blame me for that then you should blame yourself to. bcs. you and chris do that all the time.
if the topic of oils was just to place scientiffic knowledge by quoting specs from companies then what are we all doing here?just quote the motul,shell,mobil, etc, specifications and don't comment.in oil-club.de they have a topic they do that.but they have a topic with personal experiences too.
personal experiences is not important?, or just the experiences that agree with the 2 of you?

this is a known phenomenon ,some engines work better with some oils, others don't. this is the only general rule with oils.and you being an expert you should know that.you just got carried away with your ego and you try to change your mind to others even though you know it is true.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 01:40 AM   #540
ericold
Private
Rep

Quote:
What is the point of posting all this crap? Plenty of people here run PP Euro 5W-40 with GTL base on N55 and S55 and have zero consumption issues.
if this is crap then its bitog too, the forum that you are a frequent member and i didnt see in the quoted post from the rellevant topic to comment it there : ''this is crap"

try to post that there,i dare you

p.s i am glad that you agree with me too. you were carried away with your ego too and you cant see that i said the same thing from the very begging.

p.s 2)
Code:
.vrooooom	First time using Castrol Edge EURO 0W40 A3/B4 and my car got a notice to add a quart of oil after a few months. Maybe I didn't fill it up properly the first time...or used up. Anecdotal.
this is experience and i respect it. i used castrol ,the same one and i didn't have any consumption. but for you this could be a crap, right?

so sad to hear from a mecahnic to not know the golden rule of oil:
some engines work better with some oils, others don't.

cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 02:00 AM   #541
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
F87source7315.00
chris7197365.00
      11-30-2023, 02:18 AM   #542
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
And it all makes sense now.
chris7197365.00
      11-30-2023, 12:11 PM   #543
ericold
Private
Rep

Quote:
And it all makes sense now.
oh i get it. i am glad that he did it. forums is an opinion exchange.if he has nothing to argue then is better to be quite.
if he is so proud for that action and posts it in public, the only one who gets embarrassment and humiliate is himself. and he is worth it.

what i know dear chris and f87 ,is when someone like you in a forum is arguing about a subject and prove him that he is wrong , to enhance that ,to prove him that he is wrong with his own arguments and then he answers with a simple '' this is crap'' for an ''argument'' then we all know that he was wrong, he lacks of arguments and cant accept it.

and it all makes sense then
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 02:42 PM   #544
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
oh i get it. i am glad that he did it. forums is an opinion exchange.if he has nothing to argue then is better to be quite.
if he is so proud for that action and posts it in public, the only one who gets embarrassment and humiliate is himself. and he is worth it.

what i know dear chris and f87 ,is when someone like you in a forum is arguing about a subject and prove him that he is wrong , to enhance that ,to prove him that he is wrong with his own arguments and then he answers with a simple '' this is crap'' for an ''argument'' then we all know that he was wrong, he lacks of arguments and cant accept it.

and it all makes sense then
You can put down the crack pipe .
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 07:45 AM   #545
ericold
Private
Rep

Quote:
You can put down the crack pipe .
nice attitude.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 09:21 PM   #546
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
I would keep it longer. Perhaps 5k. Unless you track.
I decided to dump it early at around 3k miles and sample it:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th...-miles.377261/

Very thin. You beat me to this post already on BITOG lol, nevermind.
Appreciate 2
F87source7315.00
MSH_135.00
      12-21-2023, 09:24 PM   #547
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I decided to dump it early at around 3k miles and sample it:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th...-miles.377261/

Very thin. You beat me to this post already on BITOG lol, nevermind.
Can't wait to see your results on Mobil 1
chris7197365.00
edycol1515.00
      12-22-2023, 12:58 PM   #548
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

I always use Aral Supertronic 0W-40 in my M2 which is a true synthetic oil and not the hydrocracked mineral oils that are usually label synthetic. Starting to get hard to get a hold of though. Still have 20L luckily.
      12-23-2023, 12:22 AM   #549
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund View Post
I always use Aral Supertronic 0W-40 in my M2 which is a true synthetic oil and not the hydrocracked mineral oils that are usually label synthetic. Starting to get hard to get a hold of though. Still have 20L luckily.
From what I can see via the spec sheet, the aral supertronic 0w40 oil doesn't have all of the super critical certifications like porsche A40, MB 229.5, and BMW LL01. There isn't much out there about their HTHS either, so I'm leaning towards the idea that this isn't really an oil on par with the likes of Pennzoil platnium euro 5w40 (shell helix ultra 5w40 in Europe), Motul xcess gen 2 5w40 (has to be gen 2 because Gen 1 kind of sucked imo), and mobil 1 FS european car formula 0w40.
      12-23-2023, 02:22 AM   #550
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
From what I can see via the spec sheet, the aral supertronic 0w40 oil doesn't have all of the super critical certifications like porsche A40, MB 229.5, and BMW LL01. There isn't much out there about their HTHS either, so I'm leaning towards the idea that this isn't really an oil on par with the likes of Pennzoil platnium euro 5w40 (shell helix ultra 5w40 in Europe), Motul xcess gen 2 5w40 (has to be gen 2 because Gen 1 kind of sucked imo), and mobil 1 FS european car formula 0w40.
It's up to spec if you know what you're looking at when it comes to specs (I don't). In this case it's just that Aral doesn't pay for the BMW LL01 certificate anymore since there's newer oils (hydrocracked mineral oils aka "synthetic" oils) in their line up on which they have bigger margins. I don't know exactly but it's about 5 years ago Aral stopped paying for the BMW LL01 labling. So I guess you can say it's a well kept secret these days.
I'm not an expert on oils but we have a guy over at the Swedish BMW forum that's an absolute nutter (in a good way) when it comes to oils. If he recommends Aral Supertronic I'll follow. It used to cost 6$/L but nowadays it's about 10$/L because of the smaller production volume.