BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Oh what a difference springs make!

08-30-2023, 09:04 PM   #1
rbahr
Private
Rep
Drives: To many & not enough

Oh what a difference springs make!

Hi All,

I have a 2020 M2C that is tracked. I installed a set of MCS shocks with the spring rates suggested by Bimmerworld: 700/800 and was having terrible tire wear, 1st pic is after 1.5 days at LCMT. I changed the spring rate to 800/900 and my tire wear became the 2nd picture after 3 days at the same track. Bot running same bar and camber settings: 1 from full hard on bimmerworld front bars, and -3.3 deg camber, and similar toe values...

Now to solve the brake heat problem. Is there a good solution for this? Already have GT3 ducts, not at all good enough.

Thanks

Ray
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
bentom2335.50
M1500Z423.00
      08-31-2023, 12:45 PM   #2
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

NT01s are better track tires, so that's expected.

Regarding brake cooling, there's a few threads on here and/or the M3 forum about how to add cooling ducts/hoses to the stock backing plates. A few of us have done that, including myself, and it has been an improvement.
      08-31-2023, 01:08 PM   #3
rbahr
Private
Rep

The issue is not tires - the Michlean Pilot cup sports are not bad, but rather body roll. If you look at the edges on the Pilot cup sports you will see noticeable wear, much less so on the NT01s. I was trying to reduce the body roll with the goal being even tire wear across the surface.

I would like a cooling kit that has been tested and shown to reduce heat. I just want to do it once...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 03:56 PM   #4
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
NT01s are better track tires, so that's expected.
I concur with dvas here. It still looks like you're seeing some shoulder wear but it's hard to compare an Supercar 3R to an NT01—the former being susceptible to quick shoulder wear and the latter being known to wear very well. The SC3R should generate a higher lateral g and put more load in the car too.

I'm curious are you running a stiffer rear spring than front? Do you run a wing? I ask because when I was talking to BW about an MCS 2 way setup, they recommended 800 fr/700 rr springs.

For the brakes, you're running an AP setup, correct? Do you have any temp data (rotor paint or temp strips) or are you just going through consumables too quickly? I have an 9668/9451 rear setup and find them to be pretty stable and even on wear with outside caliper temps filling the 375ºF block on the strip. The setup I've been considering is something like @track/s has or just a small routed hose to a CS Racing hat and seeing if that helps. I don't get any sort of fade or pedal change across a 40 min session when using a Ferodo DS3.12 pad, but I would like to extend pad life.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 04:31 PM   #5
rbahr
Private
Rep

I am running MCS 3W shocks, trying to dial them in. The shoulder wear is far better than either the Goodyear Supercars or the Pilot cup sports I previously ran. Front brakes are the Alcon CR6420 fronts, and OEM rears - no temp paint, but measured calipers at 400F+-, and desperately need cooling - winter project. Currently no areo. BW recommended a 700/700 spring set, I bumped that to 900/800, and the tire wear improved. I have the front bar at 3 out of 4 holes - whatever the BW folks sell.

Brake cooling is currently limited to GT3 ducts. No fade after 40min - just need more gas :-)

The CS racing hats look good, but not cheap - considering those, I just want to solve the problem once...

Ray

Last edited by rbahr; 09-01-2023 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0