BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > New OGM2 for Track

06-01-2023, 04:29 PM   #1
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, Z4MR, M3, E36, M2, 535

New OGM2 for Track

Looks like I'm sorta sliding into this forum now...or at least my wife is. I run a few cars (Z4M, E46M3, E36) and just added 2018 M2 to the fleet. I've driven and instructed in many an M2, so decided to get one for her as an upgrade from the M3. I use the E36 for club racing and will move the M3 to HP class. Z4M is caged car with right at 550hp. If you run on the East Coast, you've probably seen us as we do around 45-50 days per year up and down the coast.

So that's the intro. We had the car delivered yesterday, it has 22k miles on it. Came out of Canada by way of Michigan. Half cage, seats, harness are going in now. I'm going to leave the suspension alone at the moment and just let her start to get a feel for the car and the DCT (she is coming from SMG) but the real strength is her left foot braking. Otherwise, we are going over every nut and bolt and checking all the suspension bits. I like MCS, but probably just go with the Ohlins and put a strut brace on.

Hopefully her first event in it will be on Pitt at the end of June. Fairly technical track so perhaps not the best first track to put it on, but she has 20 or days already on that track so i don't expect any surprises. She's probably going to catch me now...we'll see.

Likely to be asking some questions as we build it out. Hopefully see some of you on the track.

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2023, 06:00 PM   #2
madwheeling
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2

23-25 with the PCA? If so ill see you there
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 04:44 PM   #3
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

Welcome! I just picked up a 2018 M2 this year as well. It is my daily and track toy. I instruct with NOR and MVR PCA regions. Post here if you’re going to one of those events! Here is my latest experience with the car.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2016722
Sold in 2020 '08 E92 335xi 6MT
Sold in 2016 '08 E90 335i 6MT - FBO
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 06:25 PM   #4
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, will be at Pitt on those dates. Ann Arbor is a long trip for Pitt, so glad that you are coming out and running with Potomac. If it is your first time at Pitt, you are in for an unexpected treat…the track is a blast and one of my top 3, but I like the technical stuff. Anybody can go fast in a straight line.

Great post on your experience with a new platform. Mid-Ohio partnered with us last year at Pitt, but I think that is the only time I’ve run with that region. I expect she might do the first session with traction control on, I’ll leave it up to her, but I suspect it will be off before the session is over. I run slicks on EC7s for the Z which fit on the M2, but I’ll put her in street tires for the first few events so she can figure out her slip angles.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 10:23 PM   #5
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

The blue brakes aren't the best if you have a little pace. Even though the OG is the lightest of the F87 they are still fairly heavy - can definitely outrun the oem. If keeping traction control on for a bit definitely keep an eye on the brakes too if tripping the dsc frequently. Sounds like y'all have tracked a good amount so you already know good pads and fluid. But even with that the blues still leave something to be desired especially as you work up the grip level.

The OG is a fun car on the track - despite it's weight it handles very well. Very nimble and capable of being fairly well balanced. The rear does like to step out a bit in the high speed stuff - a little bit of wing can help settle that down the line. With pace the suspension does start to hold the car back though and this is where dollar for dollar I feel the best money goes on this platform. The biggest mechanical weakness of the OG on the track is in cooling - keep an eye on temps (nice to be able to go back through the data for a run). IATs in particular can jump somewhat quickly and pull timing. This can all be compounded if you decide to add power - just something to keep in mind.

I have spent much more time the last couple of years in comps & the other S55 variants than OGs. Installed one of our suspension setups in a customer's OG earlier this week and the test drive / shakedown reminded me just how enjoyable the OG is to drive.
Appreciate 2
jefe2000739.50
      06-03-2023, 06:12 AM   #6
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

Interesting you mentioned cooling to be a weakness. I have been nothing but impressed (aside from IAT). Engine oil stays around 230F, coolant 210F, and DCT oil at 205F. I temped the diff cover at 170-180F after some hot sessions. The car definitely needs a bigger intercooler as I’m generating 160F IAT on some long straights. I can feel the power is reduced at the end of a session.
Sold in 2020 '08 E92 335xi 6MT
Sold in 2016 '08 E90 335i 6MT - FBO
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 09:47 AM   #7
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90convert View Post
Interesting you mentioned cooling to be a weakness. I have been nothing but impressed (aside from IAT). Engine oil stays around 230F, coolant 210F, and DCT oil at 205F. I temped the diff cover at 170-180F after some hot sessions. The car definitely needs a bigger intercooler as I’m generating 160F IAT on some long straights. I can feel the power is reduced at the end of a session.
Certainly track & driver dependent - but definitely the weakness of the OG especially as you increase pace. Just something to watch for and monitor - not saying all OGs need to rush out and upgrade coolers immediately. IATs are the worst as they really can climb fast and the car pulls timing quickly. We actually converted my OG to the A2W tmic setup from the S55 comp to help keep them in check. Careful going just to a bigger intercooler - can introduce some lag. Definitely some better than others out there.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2023, 08:25 PM   #8
Sungillest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: OG M2 ZL9 |Macan 2.9TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
The blue brakes aren't the best if you have a little pace. Even though the OG is the lightest of the F87 they are still fairly heavy - can definitely outrun the oem. If keeping traction control on for a bit definitely keep an eye on the brakes too if tripping the dsc frequently. Sounds like y'all have tracked a good amount so you already know good pads and fluid. But even with that the blues still leave something to be desired especially as you work up the grip level.

The OG is a fun car on the track - despite it's weight it handles very well. Very nimble and capable of being fairly well balanced. The rear does like to step out a bit in the high speed stuff - a little bit of wing can help settle that down the line. With pace the suspension does start to hold the car back though and this is where dollar for dollar I feel the best money goes on this platform. The biggest mechanical weakness of the OG on the track is in cooling - keep an eye on temps (nice to be able to go back through the data for a run). IATs in particular can jump somewhat quickly and pull timing. This can all be compounded if you decide to add power - just something to keep in mind.

I have spent much more time the last couple of years in comps & the other S55 variants than OGs. Installed one of our suspension setups in a customer's OG earlier this week and the test drive / shakedown reminded me just how enjoyable the OG is to drive.
I am pretty sure he is enjoying his ride now!

Used to mod a lot (stage 2 ECU, intercooler, intake, catless dp) on my previous e82 135is.. then I start to take my car to track, learned that I do NOT need any mods. So this M2 I will never mod my car in terms of power wise. Unless cooling issue comes up. I am happy with 330hp with some track focused mods.

OG M2 can turn corners pretty well out of box, but now with OGSM NTR R1 kit I feel more confident to carry more speeds
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 11:41 AM   #9
rbahr
Private
Rep
Drives: To many & not enough

Instruct with Porsche & BMW on East coast, out of Boston! M2C is current Track Toy...

Ray
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 07:51 PM   #10
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the input and recommendations. Should be ready for Pitt, but it will be close. She may have to bring the M3 instead. We have 3 events in July (2 Summit and one Watkins) and then I have to concentrate on the 24 hour at VIR and a couple of club races after.

I'm going to go ahead and add a wing, upgrade some bushings, and the suspension. If I can get it done, I may upgrade the IC and maybe the oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 11:43 AM   #11
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan13 View Post
I'm going to go ahead and add a wing, upgrade some bushings, and the suspension. If I can get it done, I may upgrade the IC and maybe the oil cooler.
The intercooler is an absolute must if you plan to drive in ambient conditions over 80 degrees F. I have about 53 track days under my belt in my 2018, and have yet to find a compelling reason to do anything with oil cooling. A couple weeks ago I was at Thunderhill Raceway in around 90 degree F ambient conditions, and the highest I saw oil temp was 250 in a 25 minute session.

Also, may be worthwhile refreshing the plugs and coilpacks since the car is 5 years old at this point. I am guessing you will do track brake pads and brake fluid (Castrol SRF is great).

PS. What engine mods do you have on the Z4MC? I still have my Z4MC after close to 15 years and tracked it for the first 6 years when I lived on the east coast.
Appreciate 1