BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Camber Setting for Michelin PS4S?

09-09-2023, 06:50 PM   #1
Boba1214
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Camber Setting for Michelin PS4S?

Hi all,

For track and twisty canyon carving, what camber setting should I set my Michelin PS4S? I believe they have 300TW.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 10:44 AM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

For a 350Z? You're just trolling us, teasing that you can set camber on it.

In general, as you get above 2 degrees you'll probably start to trade braking for handling/tire wear, but a lot depends on your suspension. On track it is a much bigger issue for tire wear, so on the street I'd keep it under 2. For track, 3 degrees is a common recc for the M2, that or 'as much as you can get'. Tire pressure will be at least as important for both handling and wear.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 03:43 PM   #3
Boba1214
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
For a 350Z? You're just trolling us, teasing that you can set camber on it.

In general, as you get above 2 degrees you'll probably start to trade braking for handling/tire wear, but a lot depends on your suspension. On track it is a much bigger issue for tire wear, so on the street I'd keep it under 2. For track, 3 degrees is a common recc for the M2, that or 'as much as you can get'. Tire pressure will be at least as important for both handling and wear.
I apologize. I have a BMW M2C on OEM suspension. Should I set it close to 3 deg and use a pyrometer to measure tread temp, then adjust?

Should I try to keep toe at 0deg or close to OEM spec for both street and track? I know some folks prefer a bit of toe out on the track and toe in for streets.

My main goal is to preserve tire life.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 01:22 PM   #4
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Maxing out camber for stock setup would be the move but what you need is camber plates.

Are you a novice on track? How many events logged?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 08:14 PM   #5
Elganja
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, Huracan, Etron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba1214 View Post
I apologize. I have a BMW M2C on OEM suspension. Should I set it close to 3 deg and use a pyrometer to measure tread temp, then adjust?

Should I try to keep toe at 0deg or close to OEM spec for both street and track? I know some folks prefer a bit of toe out on the track and toe in for streets.

My main goal is to preserve tire life.
with no caster and camber plates, the most you can do is -1.4 in the front, and -2.1 rear

suggest some c&c plates
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 10:35 PM   #6
Boba1214
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
Maxing out camber for stock setup would be the move but what you need is camber plates.

Are you a novice on track? How many events logged?
I have millway street camber plate. I am a novice on the track but do very spirited canyon carving every weekend so I was thinking about switching to "track" setting before canyon run to preserve tire life. But....... (See below)

I got an alignment today to get it to "street spec." My alignment tech told me if i adjust camber to the max without adjusting tie rod, I will get around -3.2deg negative camber and total toe out will be around -0.55deg. We didn't actually use the alignment rack to get the actual track measurement though, it was based on his assumption.

I'd imagine -0.55 total toe out would be detrimental to tire life driving on the track (or even the canyon)...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 09:49 AM   #7
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Yeah so what you’re finding is alignments are annoying to get before and after track days and because toe moves with camber it’s not something you really want to diy in your garage.

Toe kills tires not camber. Just set camber where you need for even tire wear. With the toe you’re running the reduced tire life will be manageable and a compromise you just have to accept.
Appreciate 1