BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Traffic at Lime Rock HPDE Event

07-22-2023, 10:01 AM   #1
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Traffic at Lime Rock HPDE Event

Brought the M2C to Lime Rock on Tuesday Jul 18 2023. It's my 2nd track day in the BMW after going to Watkins Glen in 2022. I started doing one event per year back in 2007 at Lime Rock. This is my 5th time back to that track.

My car is 100% bone stock other than the 763 wheels. My main goals are to have some fun and bring the car home in one piece.

The weather was a bit spotty. I had four scheduled 20-minute sessions, but I skipped one because it rained for about 15 minutes. I came with a friend who brought his yellow Corvette Z06. He was on the track when the rain started, and he came in early. He told me it started getting a little hairy and he didn't want to chance it. I didn't either.

Other than the 15-minute rain squall and a bit more traffic than I'm used to, it was a great day. I lowered the tire PSI 3 pounds and flipped between MDM and Sport modes. MDM scares me a little sometimes and I feel safer in Sport mode. But the stability system can be obtrusive so there's always that tradeoff. I like to go as fast as I can, but I definitely am not chasing lap times.

Attached are some screenshots from the RaceChrono GPS lap timer phone app. That was the last session when I smartened up and started from the front of the pack to get some clear track. There's also a picture of the 3 of us who went together (I'm on the right with the blue wristband), and a picture of the car safely back home.

I also posted a 2-minute GoPro clip from session #1 showing the traffic.

https://youtu.be/iFqKfvNOc3Y
Attached Images

MooMooM21817.50
///MPhatic13862.50
AmuroRay2282.50
      07-29-2023, 08:39 AM   #2
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Very nice. SCDA does a good event and lime rock is a fantastic track.
Traffic at lime rock is what it is unfortunately, and there is always traffic (definitely in the novice but I am now intermediate 1 and its similar), you might get a couple of nice traffic free laps but you will catch someone eventually.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 09:35 AM   #3
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Literal hand signals to pass on the right. So weird.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 11:17 AM   #4
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Literal hand signals to pass on the right. So weird.
That is the universal point by language at HPDEs

Also rain at the track can be sketchy and nerve wrecking but I will always go out for a bit, if you are on street tires its fine, just drive a bit slower of course but there is a lot of can control to be learned when driving in the rain
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      07-29-2023, 03:04 PM   #5
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Very nice. I didn’t think they’d allow passing like that at the end of the straight but I’ve only don’t novice class so maybe it’s different?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 09:21 AM   #6
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
That is the universal point by language at HPDEs
Evidence it has been way too long since I attended an HPDE.

I wonder why they don't just signal and move to the right? I mean, it's pretty universal that slower traffic moves right and faster traffic overtakes on the left.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 10:41 AM   #7
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:

I wonder why they don't just signal and move to the right? I mean, it's pretty universal that slower traffic moves right and faster traffic overtakes on the left.
Some orgs do allow using a turn signal instead and it’s amazing. I much prefer it. Passing takes places on both left and right. You should really get back out there.

Also, traffic like this depends on the org and the run group. The better the org is managed and the more advanced the run group the less you have to deal with trains like this.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      07-30-2023, 11:08 AM   #8
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I do agree, signal could be nice but also some race cars don't have them so maybe that is a reason.

As far as passing left or right it depends on the next turn so if the next turn is a right turn you let people pass on right, if the turn was a left turn then you point them to pass on left. A bit confusing if you don't know the track but once you get the hang of the track its almost instinctual.

You should 100% go do a few days, its amazing and you could get some amazing pictures out there while others are in their sessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
Some orgs do allow using a turn signal instead and it’s amazing. I much prefer it. Passing takes places on both left and right. You should really get back out there.

Also, traffic like this depends on the org and the run group. The better the org is managed and the more advanced the run group the less you have to deal with trains like this.
This is true but also lime rock is just a tough one, its super short and pretty freaking fast. But yeah I bet the higher the group the less traffic, also people are better at point bys. I feel like intermediate 1 is the worst with the point bys, no one wants to give them, maybe they think we are int now so we are actually fast, its really annoying, I have had more point bys in novice than some int sessions. But also I do feel like they have too many cars on track at limerock, I think its probably expensive track to rent so orgs have to have a certain amount of cars per run to get it to be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 11:19 AM   #9
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
I do agree, signal could be nice but also some race cars don't have them so maybe that is a reason.

As far as passing left or right it depends on the next turn so if the next turn is a right turn you let people pass on right, if the turn was a left turn then you point them to pass on left. A bit confusing if you don't know the track but once you get the hang of the track its almost instinctual.

You should 100% go do a few days, its amazing and you could get some amazing pictures out there while others are in their sessions.
Right, no signals on race cars, but HPDE's are meant for race cars, right? At least the HPDE's of old weren't. Street cars only.

I agree it could become intuitive, but also agree that if it's one rule, like on the Nur, it's easier for beginners.

I think my HPDE days are over, it's more fun to hit the back roads without a helmet and long pants haha.

I have covered many types of HPDE's, and that's fun as well!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 01:05 PM   #10
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:

This is true but also lime rock is just a tough one, its super short and pretty freaking fast. But yeah I bet the higher the group the less traffic, also people are better at point bys. I feel like intermediate 1 is the worst with the point bys, no one wants to give them, maybe they think we are int now so we are actually fast, its really annoying, I have had more point bys in novice than some int sessions. But also I do feel like they have too many cars on track at limerock, I think its probably expensive track to rent so orgs have to have a certain amount of cars per run to get it to be worth it.
As far as using turn signals to let the car behind know what side to pass on, I had never heard of that before. But for this event there was a driver in my run group (Int 1) who was partially disabled and unable to use his left arm. During the driver's meeting at the beginning of the event, he spoke up and asked if he could use the directional rather than a hand signal since he couldn't stick his arm out the window. No problem, the organizers agreed and everyone in our group got the heads up. In the last session, I learned my lesson from the previous sessions and got to pit lane a few minutes early to be first on the track. The disabled guy was already there (by design) so I was behind him. He was in a Toyota 86 (same as the BRZ) about 200 hp/torque down from the M2C. The pit lane start guy held me back to give the Toyota about a 10 second head start. He was surprisingly quick and it took me a couple laps to run him down. He gave me a point-by on the front straight with his signal and it worked fine.

In 2022 I went to Watkins Glen. 32 cars were in the Intermediate 1 group with me. There was somewhat less at Lime Rock this time. No traffic issues at all at the Glen. The track is more than twice as long, there are more passing zones, and the passing zones a lot longer making point-bys easier.

I'd been to Lime Rock 4 times previous and never saw traffic this bad. I think what happened this time is there were a couple slow cars in the group and they got bunched together. Next thing you know there's a pack of half a dozen cars. The slow cars in front should give point-bys but if they don't, the pack just grows bigger.

The guy I went with is in Int 2. He said I should move to that group, since the M2C is faster than most of the cars in Int 1. My lap times were actually quicker than my buddy's by several seconds, so I think I will try the Int 2 group next time at Lime Rock.
      07-30-2023, 05:01 PM   #11
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Right, no signals on race cars, but HPDE's are meant for race cars, right? At least the HPDE's of old weren't. Street cars only.

Nowadays people bring LMP2 cars to track days. In fact, here is one on track with me at LRP. The disparity in speed can make for dicey situations if you are not aware. https://youtu.be/kksj2jdh3mg?t=746

LRP is so narrow that it only takes one slow driver to cause a party train. I've found that it is best to pit in and ask the pit manager to send you out with some separation. Of course this disrupts your flow and is frustrating. On occasion someone's ego will be the reason for not getting a point-by (see laps 6/7 from the same video if your interested). That is even more frustrating. Sympathy for the Miata guys. No respect.
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13862.50
wjones14658.50
      07-31-2023, 08:27 AM   #12
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
Nowadays people bring LMP2 cars to track days.
It seems the 80's were good for more than cocaine and hookers after all. Oh, and Prince, must include Prince.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 01:24 PM   #13
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

I agree it could become intuitive, but also agree that if it's one rule, like on the Nur, it's easier for beginners.

I think my HPDE days are over, it's more fun to hit the back roads without a helmet and long pants haha.

I have covered many types of HPDE's, and that's fun as well!
You're retiring from track days? Booo!
      08-01-2023, 01:33 PM   #14
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
You're retiring from track days? Booo!
I retired from them long ago. I honestly have more fun without a helmet and by myself on the smooth, curvy back-roads by my home. There are some perks to living in a small town.

The End of Autumn. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Darkness Falls. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Epic Sky for an Epic Drive. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Apex. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Cinnamon and Sugar. **Explore** by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

I Get Lucky. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Sentinel II by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

When the Levee Breaks. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Maximus. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Sidewinder. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Appreciate 2
AmuroRay2282.50
jefe2000739.50
      08-02-2023, 08:10 AM   #15
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
I retired from them long ago. I honestly have more fun without a helmet and by myself on the smooth, curvy back-roads by my home. There are some perks to living in a small town.

The End of Autumn. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Darkness Falls. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Epic Sky for an Epic Drive. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Apex. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Cinnamon and Sugar. **Explore** by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

I Get Lucky. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Sentinel II by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

When the Levee Breaks. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Maximus. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Sidewinder. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Literally beautiful.
Also, I'm telling my wife we are moving to the smalltown USA.
      08-02-2023, 12:15 PM   #16
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Literally beautiful.
Also, I'm telling my wife we are moving to the smalltown USA.
Appreciate 0