BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Recaro seats and airbag coding

06-27-2022, 07:37 AM   #23
Recker81
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

This is an older thread but hoping to get some help with the airbag/seatbelt error issue. I have a 2020 M2 Comp that is track setup (and amazing!) but I want to remove my Momo race seats out after track events so I can drive more comfortably on the streets. I did this swap yesterday and now have the airbag and seatbelt errors going off on dash. I am new to the forum so cannot PM anyone - would love any assistance on how to do this. I'd do the remote coding guys but do not think that will be cost effective with me doing this 3-4x a year. I read about the e-sys software on this thread but no idea how that works.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 05:03 AM   #24
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recker81 View Post
This is an older thread but hoping to get some help with the airbag/seatbelt error issue. I have a 2020 M2 Comp that is track setup (and amazing!) but I want to remove my Momo race seats out after track events so I can drive more comfortably on the streets. I did this swap yesterday and now have the airbag and seatbelt errors going off on dash. I am new to the forum so cannot PM anyone - would love any assistance on how to do this. I'd do the remote coding guys but do not think that will be cost effective with me doing this 3-4x a year. I read about the e-sys software on this thread but no idea how that works.

Thanks guys!
Best way in your situation is to make an emulator plug for each seat. This will keep the car happy without any coding. When you change seats, as long as you disconnect battery whilst changing the plugs over you will go seamlessly from one seat type to the other.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 05:47 AM   #25
Recker81
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Best way in your situation is to make an emulator plug for each seat. This will keep the car happy without any coding. When you change seats, as long as you disconnect battery whilst changing the plugs over you will go seamlessly from one seat type to the other.
Any idea how to do that?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 10:23 AM   #26
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Any idea how to do that?
Yes, I do. I guess it depends on your own skills as to whether you can do it yourself or not.

Do you have power seats or manual?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 12:53 PM   #27
Recker81
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I do. I guess it depends on your own skills as to whether you can do it yourself or not.

Power seats. I知 open for help/instruction!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 02:58 PM   #28
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Power seats. I’m open for help/instruction!
OK, so under each seat there is a yellow connector. On one side of this yellow plug, you have power and CAN/LIN connectors, built in. The other side has a rail that you slide in the plugs that you're most interested in. On the drivers side there are two of these slide in plugs, passenger has three.

The black plug (passenger side only), is the passenger occupancy sensor (two pins). You can just put a link in this one ( passenger always present).

The next plug is blue, from memory this is the airbag plug (two pins). You need to link this with a resistor. I can't remember what ohm you need, but easy to measure across the pins with a meter and get as close to that as you can.

The last plug is a white one. This has 4 pins two are for the seat belt sensor, two are the pyrotechnic seat belt pre tensioner. Seat belt sensor you can just link out, the pre tensioner you again fit a resistor across it.

Helps to buy a pair of those yellow plugs and the slide in plug set for your racing seats. I bought a really cheap set of F30 front seats off eBay. Most F series cars use the same plugs so don't need to be picky.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 03:00 PM   #29
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Worth it when you're done
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 07:48 AM   #30
Recker81
Rep

Thanks man - your seats look great! Not sure if I can accomplish that electrical work but may give it a shot. Thank you again.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 02:31 PM   #31
KHAP13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:

Thanks guys!
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1795706

Check out this thread and let me know if you have questions..I swap seats all the time and don稚 have any errors when either set is installed and retain factory seat heating.

US spec cars are going to have an extra grey connector on the passenger seat for seat position.

To answer your immediate question, I just got a code reader that was capable of clearing SRS errors, and I use it for all kinds of other things too. I知 not a big fan of disconnecting the battery every time.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 06:16 PM   #32
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
If you wait till the car "goes to sleep" (like 10-20min) you can disconnect the seat plugs and reconnect without getting any errors. You'll want to unbolt the seats from the car first (since you need to use the electric slider for that), then leave the door open and wait for the car to go to sleep
Otherwise you either need to disconnect the battery or use a tool to clear codes.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 02:43 PM   #33
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Comp

Can anyone provide the specifics to code out the oem receptacle/tensioner for those going full harness?
      07-09-2022, 08:14 AM   #34
GrandMasterKhan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Evo9, '22 X3Mc, Turbo S2000
Location: BMW Southpoint, Durham NC. Dinan/Carbahn authorized Dealer.

What do we do with the Gray Connector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHAP13 View Post
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1795706

Check out this thread and let me know if you have questions..I swap seats all the time and don稚 have any errors when either set is installed and retain factory seat heating.

US spec cars are going to have an extra grey connector on the passenger seat for seat position.

To answer your immediate question, I just got a code reader that was capable of clearing SRS errors, and I use it for all kinds of other things too. I知 not a big fan of disconnecting the battery every time.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 01:52 PM   #35
KHAP13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan View Post
What do we do with the Gray Connector?
It kind of depends on how you want to handle it. For me, knowing I want to switch seats without coding, I bought a duplicate passenger wire harness. It comes wired with the grey connector (seat pos sensor) already. I then installed a seat belt pretensioner (white plug) air bag emulator (blue plug) and seat occupancy sensor emulator (black plug). When I swap seats I just swap the seat module, bolt in the seat, and I知 done.

I am not sure what would happen if the grey connector was left unplugged.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-12-2022, 02:44 PM   #36
GrandMasterKhan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Evo9, '22 X3Mc, Turbo S2000
Location: BMW Southpoint, Durham NC. Dinan/Carbahn authorized Dealer.

Quote:
It kind of depends on how you want to handle it. For me, knowing I want to switch seats without coding, I bought a duplicate passenger wire harness. It comes wired with the grey connector (seat pos sensor) already. I then installed a seat belt pretensioner (white plug) air bag emulator (blue plug) and seat occupancy sensor emulator (black plug). When I swap seats I just swap the seat module, bolt in the seat, and I知 done.

awesome thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 03:42 PM   #37
j_shin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Has anyone coded out these errors recently? I am seeing that Bimmer Utility is the way to go now. And $100 for the esys loader app. I am debating on paying someone to code it out or do it myself. I would like to have control of it so I can switch back without paying again and possibly tweak some other settings, but these esys loader 'companies' seem a little sketch.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 12:29 PM   #38
atruong247
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:

Hey just wanted to revive this thread. Will be tackling this project soon and have some questions. So you're able to make this a full PNP solution without any coding?

So far, my understanding is that the driver has 3 plugs and passenger has 5 plugs. Driver has heater, airbag, and seatbelt. Passenger has heater, airbag, seatbelt, occupancy, and position.

New seats will utilize stock seatbelt and heater, and also has an occupancy sensor so the passenger side will utilize that. My only concern is what resistor to use for the airbag plug and how to simulate the position sensor for the passenger. I've read here that the occupancy plug only has 2 wires, but some pictures I see 3. The occupancy sensor that comes with my new seats have only 2 wires which I assume are - and +. As for the position sensor, the oem seat harness should plug right up with it and that clears it? Do I have to move over the seat module too? I don't think I really need emulators since most of the sensors will be used like the occupancy and seatbelt tensioner, just want to clear up airbag, occupancy sensor wiring, and seat position sensor.

A breakdown of the plugs and their solution:
Blue: airbag. Use resistor.
White: Seatbelt. Will use normally.
Black: occupancy. wire up new occupancy sensor but still confused if 2 or 3 wired/ pinned.
Grey: Position sensor. Not sure what to connect this with. Oem seat harness?

Any and all info is appreciated!
Also, USDM seats.
Appreciate 0